/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Did Islam begin with Muhammed?

will
04-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Hello everyone I'm interested in Islam and its background and I was hopeing someone here might be able to help.

I was wondering what religion Muhammed and his peers observed before he started Islam. Did these people aknowledge the same god before?

I heard people say that Muhammed wasnt the first Muslim prophet, that there were many before him. So did the first muslims follow these older prophets before Muhammed and have any religious books?

Or did it all start with Muhammed the last prophet?

Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
04-27-2009, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by will
Hello everyone I'm interested in Islam and its background and I was hopeing someone here might be able to help.

I was wondering what religion Muhammed and his peers observed before he started Islam. Did these people aknowledge the same god before?

I heard people say that Muhammed wasnt the first Muslim prophet, that there were many before him. So did the first muslims follow these older prophets before Muhammed and have any religious books?

Or did it all start with Muhammed the last prophet?

Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
The first Muslim we know the name of was Adam. Maybe some of the Jinn created before Adam were Muslim but our concern is Human Muslims and that begins with Adam. We believe in the same Prophets(PBUT) followed by the Jews, Christians and Sabians. There were many more Prophets(PBUT) whose names we do not know. All Muslims followed the Scriptures that were revealed by the Prophets these scriptures were the Tauret (Torah) Zabbor(Psalms) Injeel (Gospel) and the Qur'an. Of those scriptures only the Qur'an exists in it's original form and language. the true Jews, Christians and Sabians prior to Muhammad were Muslim. All people who truly submit to or have submitted to Allaah(swt) are Muslim

will
04-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Woodrow thank you very much for youre reply.

This knowledge was actually the knowledge that someone else had already told me and got me interested in Islam.

The thing I am curious about though is whether Muhammad was a Muslim before he became a prophet and if his peers were Muslims before he became a prophet.

More or less I know about the path that Islam spread around after Muhammad but I didnt know there was a path that Muslims spread before Muhhamad... as in how did it end up in Saudi Arabia, I never heard of any prior spreadings of Muslims before Muhhamad? I thought it all started with him.

again thank you very much for your help!

Hamayun
04-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Salam (Peace)

A Muslim basically is a person who submits completely to the will of Allah (God) and worships him alone without associating any partners.

So by that definition yes they were all Muslims. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
peaceandlove
04-29-2009, 11:23 AM
The thing I am curious about though is whether Muhammad was a Muslim before he became a prophet and if his peers were Muslims before he became a prophet.
The simple answer to this question might be like this

"Every child born in this world is a Muslim by nature its their parents/elders you turn them to some other path "
so every person was a Muslim in his child hood and when he grew up and able to understand then he may go to other path influencing by his parents/elders or society and simply every child born was Muslim by nature becasue he follows the commandments of Allah

More or less I know about the path that Islam spread around after Muhammad but I didnt know there was a path that Muslims spread before Muhhamad... as in how did it end up in Saudi Arabia, I never heard of any prior spreadings of Muslims before Muhhamad? I thought it all started with him.

I don't know which religion you believe but i think you know at least some of the Prophets before Muhammad ( peace be upon him) Like Prophet Adam (( peace be upon him), Prophet Moosa ( peace be upon him), Prophet Ibrahim ( peace be upon him), Prophit Eisa ( peace be upon him) , all of them and the people who followed them are Muslims , the message of all the Prophest is the same.

I think you did not know that the message of all the prophets is same and Prophet Muhammad ( peace be upon him) did not introduce us some new religion its the same message of all the prophets.

I think this will answer you that where was Islam before Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) , islam is the message of every prophet.

czgibson
04-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Greetings,

This is a very interesting question which I'm not sure anyone has answered yet.

I have always assumed that Muhammad (pbuh) worshipped the same god before he began his apostolate, but I don't know for sure, so I'd be interested to hear from those who know more about him. Did he only discover god in the cave of Hira or was he a believer before that?

Peace

alcurad
04-29-2009, 08:35 PM
he never worshiped the polytheistic deities, nor followed any other known religion of his time ie. he didn't have a particular organized religion before his prophet hood, but he was a monotheist.
the only clear reference to any form of 'worship' he performed before his prophet hood was his repeated trips and seclusion for a period of time-some say a month every year-in the mountains of Mecca, he received revelation in a cave known as Hira', so he probably wen there most of his trips.
it wasn't a pagan practice, nor any formal way of worship at that, rather better described as meditation. so we can be sure that he didn't strictly follow any of the established religions at his time except for pure monotheism.

czgibson
04-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Greetings,

Thanks for the information, alcurad. :)

It looks like I may have been right with my assumption, but it's still difficult to tell. Is there positive evidence that Muhammad (pbuh) was a monotheist before his revelations?

Peace

alcurad
04-29-2009, 09:21 PM
he wasn't a polytheist that is certain.

Zafran
04-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Salaam

He was something called a "hanif"" - Monotheist

The Quran calls Ibrahim pbuh a hanif.

peace

muslimapoclyptc
04-30-2009, 12:10 AM
Woodrow thank you very much for youre reply.

This knowledge was actually the knowledge that someone else had already told me and got me interested in Islam.

again thank you very much for your help!
The reason that you haven't heard of this, is because the Muslims before Prophet Muhammad followed a different shariah than the one revealed to him, and they weren't called "Muslims". The reason we call them Muslims, is because their faith was the same, and they submitted to God.

In Islam, faith consists of belief in the oneness of God, in all of his angels, divine revelations and Prophets, as well as in the Day of Judgment, and in divine destiny. Hence, Prophet Muhammad did not start it, as faith in these things existed before him. Rather, he completed it.

As has already been said, before Prophet Muhammad received revelation, he was a Hanif, a monotheist.

malayloveislam
05-01-2009, 07:18 PM
اسلام (Islam) = Submittance to Peace

from root word سلم (Salama) = Peace, Safe, Tranquility

مسلم (Muslim) = Those who submit themselves to Peace

السلام (As-Salaam) = The Peace, The Guarantor of Peace, The One who grant Peace, One of God Names (Check 99 most Glorious and Holiest Allah Names in Islam)

Muslim greets other Muslim with السلام عليكم (Assalamoalaikom) means May Peace be granted upon you. We refer our prophets and angels names with عليه السلام (Alaihessalam) means Peace be upon him.

Muslim means the Follower of the Same Path, since Adam (pbuh) to Muhammad (pbuh)

The teaching of Islam is God is solely One. Worshiped as the One. 6 basic Creed Pillars:

1) Believe in Allah, who is the Only Creator and worth to be worshiped
2) Believe in Angels, at least 10 of the main holy angels
3) Believe in prophets, 25 main prophets from Adam (pbuh) to Muhammad (pbuh)
4) Believe in scriptures revealed by Allah, Suhuf Ibrahim, Zabour (Psalm), Torah, Injeel, and Quran
5) Believe in the day of judgement
6) Believe in the good and bad destiny pre-destined and decreed by Allah

Followed by 5 Pillars of Holding the Religion:
1) Testimonial of faith with sincerity in heart, oral, and soul, There is no gods but God, and Muhammad His messenger and His slave
2) Praying five times a day and a night
3) Fasting 30 days in Ramadhan month
4) Paying Zakah (Tithe) to the those who really needs, helping poor Muslims to live their religious life
5) Pilgrimage to Holy City Mecca once in a lifetime if affordable by a person

Hope this helps...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.