/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a problem

Qalb
05-02-2009, 03:49 AM
Before I start I wanted to say thanks for this site. Ive learned a lot since I found it. Thanks everyone. Anyway I think I ready to convert to Islam, but I have something holding me back. I learned today that tattoos are forbidden in Islam. Which would be fine, but the majority of my body is tattooed. To make things worse I tattoo for a living, and I cant leave my job. I have worked hard and sacrificed a lot over the years to get to where I am. I love that I am a professional artist, and I hope what I read online was wrong. Please I need a little help with this.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-02-2009, 05:02 AM
BUMP!

Ooooo I dunno wat to say other than yes tattoos aren't allowed as your body should be respected. I'm guessing you'd have to leave ur job...as muslims we do everything for Allah. When u sacrifice for Him, He replaces it with something better inshaAllah.

InshaAllah someone can help u out.

noorseeker
05-02-2009, 05:09 AM
If you had 1 tattoo , then i wouldve advised you to remove it, but as you have many then , i would just try and cover them from view.

you will have to give up that job, some one will inshallah provide the hadith for it.

Yanal
05-02-2009, 05:33 AM
Bismillah Hair Rahmaan Nair Raheem
Thats before you that you got tatoos it will be fine I think if you don't get them on your body after turning into a muslim. You do it for a living fine, but don't tatoo muslims that will be haaram. Maybe someone with proof might be more use for you but Allah knows the best.
Walakum Asalam Warakmatulah Wabarkatuh
Islamic bro.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
crayon
05-02-2009, 09:18 AM
^No akhi, it is absolutely not fine for him to continue working in his same job.

Okay Qalb, here's the deal.
Tattoos and tattooing are haram, no doubt about it. About the tattoos you already have, it's fine for you to keep them, since obviously you weren't a muslim when you got them; all your previous sins are forgiven.

As for your job.. Dude, I'm sorry to say, but I can see no way you can continue at it. I'm not going to try to sugarcoat it and tell you it's all right for a little, and it's only a minor thing, etc. In a hadith, the prophet peace be upon him said " “May Allaah curse the women who do tattoos and those for whom tattoos are done". (This same ruling applies to men). Every time you give someone a tattoo, you will be cursed. The money you earn from your job will not be blessed. The only solution is that you quit your job.

Whoever abandons something for the sake of Allah, He will replace it for him with something better than it”.
Honestly bro, so often have converts to islam had to alter their lives drastically when they became muslim.. People who had to give up making music, or making films, or being dancers. But of pretty much everything that is haram, there's a halal version. Perhaps you could channel your talents into something else? You could stay an artist, just not one who's canvas is skin..

I hope everything works out, inshaAllah whatever is best for you will happen. :)

Elian
05-05-2009, 03:05 PM
dear brother, tatto changes what Allah has created.you should give up this job and surly Allah the Great will recompense you. Allah surly makes a way out for those who fear Him.

Abu Sukkar
05-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Bro I once went for a job interview and it was lots of money but there was an alcohol aspect to the job which did not sit right in my heart and i couldnt ignore it. They were so impressed by me Walahi in the answers i gave to their questions.

I made dua to Allah 'Oh Allah replace this with something better for me'

The next job i went to i got. The money was about a grand less a year BUT i have a masjid RIGHT NEXT DOOR! I love it and wouldnt change it for anything!!

Trust me bro giving up something for the sake of Allah is a beautiful thing.
We like things that are not good for us.

We know not Allah He knows Best.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-05-2009, 03:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Jr
Bismillah Hair Rahmaan Nair Raheem
Thats before you that you got tatoos it will be fine I think if you don't get them on your body after turning into a muslim. You do it for a living fine, but don't tatoo muslims that will be haaram. Maybe someone with proof might be more use for you but Allah knows the best.
Walakum Asalam Warakmatulah Wabarkatuh
Islamic bro.
:sl:

Nah bro, what we don't like to see on our fellow Muslims that is haraam, we shouldn't want to allow for a non Muslim. It can't work like that because you'd still be supporting it. It's not allowed in any shape or form. What Allah has forbade we dont do, Muslim or not, InshaAllah.

Sis crayon summed it up fairly well.

جوري
05-05-2009, 03:56 PM
There is nothing you can do about the tattoos you already have -- but once you are an artist you are always an artists.. I am sure there are many Halal venues where you can use your art..

Henna tattoos aren't haram as far as I know.. do you think that you might do that for a living? it is essentially the same without permanence...

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

Khalil_Allah
05-05-2009, 07:37 PM
i was thinking about this post, and I thought of a good example for you.

Dave Chapelle. This dude had a 50 million dollar contract to produce shows on Comedy Central. 50 million dollars! And he walked away from it. Why? It is unknown to the outside world. But I speculate that he left because he is actually really modest.

He goes up and talks about smoking weed and all these things, and everyone in America loved him and laughed at his jokes. But I remember him saying after he reverted that he did not want the beautiful religion of Islam being associated with his comedy and the goofy things he does.

I mean, the man just walked off the set and away from FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS. Went to South Africa for what has been described a "spiritual retreat." Dude is Muslim, there is no doubt. I think he did it for his deen. He knew that people were aware of his Islam, and it tore him up inside to stand in front of all of America joking about masturbation and such, even though that is perfectly acceptable in his profession here.

In the scheme of things, nobody really thinks that tattooing is so terrible (like adultery or something), but we cannot overlook that fact that it is forbidden. Take time and don't rush into anything, but pray for strength to do what you must. You know Allah swt did not make the Muslims stop drinking right away. First He revealed verses that shed negative light on alcohol consumption and drunkenness, and then He banned it later on.

You are lucky man. If you ever find the strength to give up all that you have worked for for the sake of Allah, your reward is going to be crazy huge. Work on your religion and pray for guidance, and someday, Allah will make it clear and easy for you to do what you must. InshaAllah! Be easy on yourself and strive for perfection!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.