/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Racist' made mosque bomb threat

Uthman
05-04-2009, 02:48 PM
A man has admitted he threatened to blow up Glasgow Central Mosque and execute a Muslim a day unless all Mosques in Scotland were closed.

Neil MacGregor, 36, who described himself as a "racist", made the threats after watching an internet video of a British hostage being beheaded in Iraq.

Glasgow Sheriff Court heard that he sent an email to Strathclyde Police and made a threatening phone call.

Sheriff Andrew Mackie deferred sentence until later this month.

At an earlier hearing MacGregor, of Melbourne, Derbyshire, admitted a racial breach of the peace.

He telephoned and emailed Strathclyde Police to make the threats from a flat in Glasgow, between 30 January and 15 February 2007.

The court heard that the email read: "I'm a proud racist and National Front member.

If a young Muslim had similarly been radicalised into threatening violence he would have been dealt with completely differently by the police and prosecuting authorities

Osama Saeed
Scottish-Islamic Foundation

"We as an organisation have decided to deal with the current threat from Muslims in our own British way, like our proud ancestors.

"Our demands are very small. Close all mosques in Scotland.

"If our demands aren't met by next Friday, we'll kidnap one Muslim and execute him or her on the internet, just like they did to our Ken Bigley."

MacGregor then followed up the email with a call threatening to blow up Central Mosque.

Officers searched the mosque but did not find anything suspicious.

Muslim leaders have criticised the way MacGregor's case has been dealt with by the police and courts.

'Offered apologies'

Osama Saeed of the Scottish-Islamic Foundation said: "We believe that if a young Muslim had similarly been radicalised into threatening violence after viewing videos from Iraq, he would have been dealt with completely differently by the police and prosecuting authorities.

"MacGregor can count himself lucky that his trial took place at the Sheriff Court rather than the High Court, where terrorism cases normally go, and the punishment is stiffer.

"This apparent discrepancy has to be explained."

MacGregor's defence lawyer Craig Dewar told the court: "He was emailed a video of a beheading from a friend and found it very upsetting.

"He then took the decision to behave in this way.

"He accepts that he was wrong to confuse this form of behaviour with that of the Islamic religion and is extremely sorry for what he has done."

He added: "He has been in contact with figures from the mosque to personally offer his apologies."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Strzelecki
05-05-2009, 04:01 AM
Digusting display.

May Allah (swt) guide him to the truth and open his mind and heart. Ameen.

Whatsthepoint
05-05-2009, 12:26 PM
He should be deported.

glo
05-05-2009, 12:33 PM
That's shocking behaviour!

I am glad he saw the error of his action, and chose to apologise to people at the mosque.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GreyKode
05-05-2009, 12:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
He should be deported.
To where?

Abu Sukkar
05-05-2009, 01:34 PM
One suspended sentence coming up!

Whatsthepoint
05-05-2009, 05:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GreyKode
To where?
Galapagos..

crayon
05-05-2009, 05:55 PM
^How about Australia, like the olden days?
Perhaps we could build an artificial island in the middle of the sea to deport everyone who's ideas and beliefs we don't agree with?
If it gets too crowded, they'll simply have to overflow into the ocean. Oh well.:rollseyes

Obviously, I'm not saying I agree with this guy (duh), but you've got to figure out a different way of dealing with people who are different than you; one that doesn't involve kicking them out of a country as much theirs as it is yours.

Whatsthepoint
05-05-2009, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
^How about Australia, like the olden days?
Perhaps we could build an artificial island in the middle of the sea to deport everyone who's ideas and beliefs we don't agree with?
If it gets too crowded, they'll simply have to overflow into the ocean. Oh well.:rollseyes

Obviously, I'm not saying I agree with this guy (duh), but you've got to figure out a different way of dealing with people who are different than you; one that doesn't involve kicking them out of a country as much theirs as it is yours.
He is a antive so I have to agree with you on this one.
The guy is obviously a threat to the wider society, he should be treated like any other terrorist, bearded or not.

crayon
05-05-2009, 06:32 PM
He is a native so I have to agree with you on this one.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I hope someday you figure out how to celebrate diversity, and not shun it, because unless you do, you're the one missing out.

Whatsthepoint
05-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I hope someday you figure out how to celebrate diversity, and not shun it, because unless you do, you're the one missing out.
I celebrate it all right, the sole thing I am against is a minority outnumbering the majority.

crayon
05-05-2009, 06:42 PM
^your post begs to differ.

But whatever, if you say so. I'm not in the mood for repeating this for the fiftieth time.

Whatsthepoint
05-05-2009, 06:47 PM
^your post begs to differ.

But whatever, if you say so. I'm not in the mood for repeating this for the fiftieth time.
I am so I'm gonna wrp it up for you.
Supporting diversity doesn't mean leting everyone do whatever they please, give them schools etc.
I support various festivals, events, specials days at school, diverity days or something, curry weeks, I support people keep some of their heritage but at the same time I want them to inegrate.

Muezzin
05-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Focus, people.

As to the topic, to make an understatement - it's a good thing he was stopped.

Whatsthepoint
05-05-2009, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Focus, people.

As to the topic, to make an understatement - it's a good thing he was stopped.
He wouldn't have done it anyway.

Muezzin
05-05-2009, 07:47 PM
He wouldn't have done it anyway.
You know this how?

They didn't find anything suspicious (i.e. a bomb) in the mosque, but threatening to kidnap and execute someone is pretty dang serious. He's incredibly lucky not to be hit with a conspiracy to murder charge.

Whatsthepoint
05-05-2009, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
You know this how?

They didn't find anything suspicious (i.e. a bomb) in the mosque, but threatening to kidnap and execute someone is pretty dang serious.
I don't and I said he shoulb be treated like any other terrorist suspect.

Muezzin
05-05-2009, 07:58 PM
I don't
But you said you did...

I feel like I'm in a Hitchcock film.

and I said he shoulb be treated like any other terrorist suspect.
Okay.

Whatsthepoint
05-05-2009, 08:01 PM
When I said he wouldn't have done it it was moe of a figure of speech or something equally silly than stating facts.
I'm gonna watch a noir movie, thanks for the inspiration!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.