/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on Ayah please

*charisma*
05-07-2009, 02:34 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

I want some clarification on the bolded part of the ayah:

Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient (to Allah and to their husbands), and guard in the husband's absence what Allah orders them to guard (e.g. their chastity, their husband's property, etc.). As to those women on whose part you see ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly, if it is useful), but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance). Surely, Allah is Ever Most High, Most Great.

An-Nisaa' : Ayah 34

1. Is it speaking specifically about husbands and wives, or is it including the wife as well as female mahrems? [ie. Men are protectors and maintainers of (their mahrem) women (inc. wives).]

Or

2. Is it including all women in general, despite whether they are mahrems or wives? (ie. Men are to govern over women)

Jazakum Allahu khair.

Fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
05-07-2009, 05:17 PM
*bump*

doorster
05-07-2009, 05:48 PM
:sl:

just testing the waters a little bit:
1. Is it speaking specifically about husbands and wives, or is it including the wife as well as female mahrems?
I'll go for this one since one does mostly spend on ladies of one's own household (unless countinng sadaqah but that does not make one the governor of the recipient of that sadaqah)

Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient (to Allah), and guard in the husband's absence what Allah orders them to guard (e.g. their chastity, their husband's property, etc..). Regarding the woman who is guilty of lewd, or indecent behaviour, admonish her (if she continues in this indecency then), stop sharing her bed (if she still continues doing this lewd behaviour, then), [set forth for her the clear meaning of either straighten up or else we are finished and when she returns to proper behaviour take up sharing the bed with her again], but if she returns in obedience (to proper behaviour and conduct) then seek not against them means (of annoyance). Surely, Allah is Ever Most High, Most Great.”

edit: there is a difference in yours and our interpretation which I just noticed

ie.
you say: ...Women are devoutly obedient (to Allah and to their husbands),
We say:.... women are devoutly obedient (to Allah),

so I'd better scarper before a fatwa is issued against me

wasalam

edit 2:
you say: (and last) beat them (lightly, if it is useful)
we say: set forth for her the clear meaning of either straighten up or else we are finished for good

Güven
05-07-2009, 11:33 PM
:sl:

Have you read this ?

http://www.islamicboard.com/family-s...ers-women.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
doorster
05-08-2009, 12:12 AM
walaikum salam

if the question is for me, the answer is yes (I've read it and even liked it for most part) if it is for OP (which seems most likely) then I beg your pardon for butting in. wasalam

*charisma*
05-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

I think my question is being misunderstood. I understand the general tafsir of that ayah, but my question relies mostly on the context of what the words "men" and "women" mean and their relationship with each other in that ayah.

For example, the ayah doesn't specify and say "Husbands are the maintainers of their wives" rather it uses the words rajulun (men) and nisaa' (women). So is there a reason for this? Like is it implying that it's not just specifically the husbands protecting and maintaining their wives, but rather men maintaining and protecting (their wives and) other women in their families (such as their mahrems), or even more so just women in general who aren't related to them?

And I'm being very careful when I say 'men' and 'husbands' because there's a difference. Also it's already a given that it is talking about husbands and wives since that entire ayah is speaking about the relationship between a husband and his wife, however I was wondering if that first part of the ayah (Men are maintainers and protectors of women) had more to it than the rest of the ayah.

Does any of that make sense?

Fi aman Allah
wa'alaikum asalaam

*charisma*
05-08-2009, 09:35 PM
*bump*

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.