/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is the job of the housewife?

Najm
05-09-2009, 08:28 PM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

A housewife! Something that all women were about 100 years ago in UK, and society would be grateful. But in 2009, our society looks down on the person who is a full-time housewife.

It must be very difficult as us brothers are always out earning for 8-10 hours then doing "other things", and never knowing what the wife does, hence sometimes its very hard to understand what shes done all day.
So i really want to appreciate the job of a housewife.....

What would the job description cover?
What would be the requirements for the person?
How much would she get paid (i.e. if it was a paid job)? :-[
How much help would she expect to receive (I.e husband)?
Can someone explain a full days work?

Please try to make clear what Islam teaches us and what culture says.

FiAmaaniAllah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ahmed_indian
05-10-2009, 07:04 AM
salaam brother,

yes, i also appreciate the women who are house-wives. working women have status and money but house-wife sacrifices all this for her family. may Allah double-reward all the muslim house-wives

i think its preparing food, keeping clothes and home clean, care for children, etc.

How much would she get paid (i.e. if it was a paid job)?
it will vary frm place to place. but she's ur wife, u cant calculate her work with money. its priceless.

as much as he can. prophet (saws) used to help in house-work.

Yanal
05-10-2009, 08:54 AM
:sl:
I think the main purpose of this thread and these questions is for us to praise the housewife and what she mashAllah does.

nebula
05-10-2009, 03:35 PM
she will get payed with love and hugs

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
hopeful19
05-10-2009, 06:20 PM
I agree, housewife does not do the things she does for payment, merely to uphold the family.

Najm
05-10-2009, 06:46 PM

I am waiting for the sisters to drop, and maybe answer the questions :embarrass

Nebula seems like u prepared to give hugs etc but not help out :p

FiAmaaniAllah

Raudha
05-10-2009, 06:54 PM
^loq..Its actually quite difficult 2 describe a day's work for a housewife because it differs from family to family. It depends on the type of husband eg.how demanding he is :X (not that I'm married), how many children the woman has, their ages, how fussy she herself is etc.

But what I can say for sure is that being a housewife is nowhere near easy as the menfolk think. Unlike an outside job, the working hours are not limited and breaks are not routine - they only come once in a while.
May Allah grant us the understanding and the strengthto fulfil our duties as muslims.Ameen

Mujahidah4Allah
05-10-2009, 06:58 PM
:sl:

i'm no house wife but this is what me thinks

One has to know atleast the basics of cooking, cleaning etc which will then gradually excel... e.g. she may discover her own way of scraping off something in a pan rather than soaking it and waiting for time..

depends what she's covering, enough cleaning equipment and the correct equipment, groceries for cooking, etc

How much would she get paid (i.e. if it was a paid job)?

no fee, why would her husband pay her to do something, reward's with Allah Ta'ala.

If there comes a time she's ill then the husband should understand and help as much as he can, he should try and cook and clean at times, if there's a spring clean he should really help, he should also at least be able to do the handy work e.g. ordered a wardrobe husband should fix it.

maybe a sis who's a housewife can do so, if i've said anything wrong please correct me like i said before i'm no housewife but this is just a general idea!

wa/salam

hopeful19
05-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Good insight Raudha, the post defintely leant the idea that the housewife was a universally known job even though as you stated, really varies family by family and person by person, but I guess everything was asked in general statements

Yanal
05-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Hopeful: I say she does the work for a place in heaven and her love.

S_87
05-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Running the household stuff-looking after kids. Alhumdulillah these days there are washing machines, vacum cleaners, dishawashers etc to make it all easy though

???

How much would she get paid (i.e. if it was a paid job)? :-[
?? well the husband would be expected to provide for her within his means ... so differs from man to man

Well tbh it would be unfair of a full time housewife to expect her husband to come home from a hard days work and then work some more...of course if both are working then it would be 50/50 (ideally though not realistically)....and in any case the husband helping around instead of being another kid to look after is expected :rolleyes:

it depends...

may discover her own way of scraping off something in a pan rather than soaking it and waiting for time..
put some water and liquid in and boil it up quickly- all off by the time the other dishes are done :p

Snowflake
05-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Housewife 'would be paid £30,000'

Nearly three-quarters of those polled said it was a full-time job
Housewives would be paid more than the average worker if they received the going rate for their household chores, a survey has suggested.
A poll of 4,000 housewives for networking website alljoinon.com suggested that the average mum worked for nearly nine hours a day every day.

The website said a housewife would earn almost £30,000 a year if she was employed to do all the same errands.

The average annual UK wage is £23,700, according to official figures.

Some 71% of those polled agreed that successfully running the family home was a full-time job.

"The survey clearly demonstrates that not only do housewives deserve a wage for their efforts, they also need a break from the daily grind," said Carolyn Morris, spokeswoman for alljoinon.com.

The chores are yours

An average mum would spend 273 minutes every day looking after the children, according to the poll. Based on an hourly rate of £8, a nanny would earn £36.80 a day for the same job.

The survey claims 71 minutes a day is spent cleaning and tidying

Cleaning and tidying for 71 minutes would net a cleaner £7.10 a day. For more than an hour of cooking a head chef would get £17.30.

Fourteen minutes making the beds is worth £1.29 for a chambermaid, and a kitchen assistant would be paid £2.57 for a housewife's typical 28 minutes of washing up.

The poll said the average mum trawled the family finances for 39 minutes, which would cost £12.50 if an accountant did it.

A taxi driver would earn £2.53 for the 23 minutes of ferrying children around, and a mystery shopper £2.10 for the 18 minutes a day of grocery shopping.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7252504.stm

Mujahidah4Allah
05-11-2009, 06:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

put some water and liquid in and boil it up quickly- all off by the time the other dishes are done :p

lol sis yes i figured just put a random example hehe

wa/salam

aadil77
05-11-2009, 06:46 PM
I bet soon 'liberal' western women will demand wages to be housewifes, you can just imagine it...... protests in the streets with women wearing aprons and holding frying pans - lol

Edit: didn't read this bit
"The survey clearly demonstrates that not only do housewives deserve a wage for their efforts, they also need a break from the daily grind," said Carolyn Morris, spokeswoman for alljoinon.com.
lol whats the world coming to eh? wanting wages to sort your own house out and look after your own children

Mujahidah4Allah
05-11-2009, 06:49 PM
^if that were the case then my brother would be behind me with an Axe...

wa/salam

Najm
05-11-2009, 07:50 PM

Just to clarify..........

1. What would the job description cover?
I.e.All things the wife have to do i.e. cooking.

2. What would be the requirements for the person?
I.e. the personal attributes of the wife in order to do the task such as being hardworking.

3.How much would she get paid (i.e. if it was a paid job)?

Also I chose to ask about salary as a way to comparing the husband and the wife lol . (Not that the husband has to pay the wife
:embarrass

As from my point of view, i think the wife clearly earns more (in theory) than the husband, unless some of the brothers disagree. :embarrass

FiAmaaniAllah

Najm
05-25-2009, 05:46 PM

Well .... since theres little replies, i guess the job of the housewife is really quiet simple and easy to do. Us brothers got a much harder job.:exhausted

May we brother continue to strive. Ameen

FiAmaaniAllah

Zico
05-25-2009, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm
What is the job of the housewife?
Here goes nothing:

(1) Cleaning the house: All of it!
(2) Scrubbing the toilets: Yup!
(3) Ironing clothes: Don't you love it when it's all straight?
(4) Cooks meal: Yummy!
(5) Cooks another meal perhaps?: Hey what are you looking at? I'm HUNGRY!
(6) Read me a bedtime story: Quick nap so I can avoid her talking to you!
(7) Shouting at the kids: What?! I like to laugh too you know:laugh:
(8) E.T.C: Wait there's more!!??

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Tony
05-25-2009, 06:02 PM
I am house husband so all this plus DIY :D

Zico
05-25-2009, 06:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tktony
i am house husband so all this plus diy :d
lol

Najm
05-25-2009, 06:31 PM

SubhaanAllah!....Yeah, i know many brothers who sweat it out all day at work and then come home and do all the house work too. Simply they do full time work and be a full time house hubby.

MarshaAllah TKtony.

FiAmaaniAllah

Raudha
05-25-2009, 07:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm

Well .... since theres little replies, i guess the job of the housewife is really quiet simple and easy to do. Us brothers got a much harder job.:exhausted

May we brother continue to strive. Ameen

FiAmaaniAllah
Ameen..but I disagree.. I think the truth is that sisters are so patient and do the work out of love, care AND humility and therefore it is quite difficult for them (us) to describe a full day's work. It is not something a woman is accustomed to doing.

I hope you understand what i mean

Zahida
05-25-2009, 07:42 PM
:sl: Great post!!!! But i would not call myself a housewife because i am not married to my house................A homemaker - YES!!!!

I have a husband, kids a full time job, involved with the Alamiyah Institute, love to do Islamic calligraphy look after my unwell mother and have a floor you could eat off!!!! AND i speak for my fellow sisters who all equally work just as hard to maintain what you could call normality in any chaotic house!!

LOL............Bros beat that!!!!!!:bump1::w:

Tony
05-25-2009, 07:46 PM
I have loade wesher, scrubbed floor, cooked dinner and swept garden, while concreting kitchen, building balcony, re creating bathroomscaping garden and all with kids climbing on my back !!! and I live in north. luxury is somethimg that happens to other people :D Sister Zahida will win tho as women can do all this and still gossip

Clover
05-25-2009, 08:54 PM
I am against the idea that house wifes are better, or deserve more, then working women; for the simple fact, many families cannot afford to have 1 parent working, and hte other not. I know my family would probably not be able to afford the house we live in (it's not a big house, 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1 kitchen, 1 living room) if both my parents didn't work. Yes, we could probably live in a apartment and make it, but my family (the overall family) hasn't lived in cities for many generations, we have always lived on farms, where the wife works with the husband, and the sons/daughters on the farm, after-work or after-school, everyday, until they leave, then they usually (every man anyways) joins a military branch.

Sahabiyaat
05-25-2009, 09:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nebula
she will get payed with love and hugs
yeh , but what i would really love, is rubies and diamonds. :X

I prefer the term 'home maker' to house wife.

I remember we learnt this in A level sociology...and there was a prediction on the wage of a housewife...turns out its quite expensive to pay a housewife.

But i guess for a muslim woman nothing surpasses the reward from Allah, as well as the simple joy of providing a home for her family....I wouldnt want to get paid....silly western women....next theyll be asking for wages for breathing or somehthing.

Being a home maker requires the utmost efficiency, skill, time management, intuition, punctuality....and all the other thinngs a normal job would require.But working people just dont see this, and simply dismiss it as oh shes stays at home all day'.

Its the hardest job in the world.with no bonuses, pay rises, or holidays :).and its the for that reason the best job in the world.Because you do it for the people you love, Your husband and your children.and not a fat money eating sweaty boss.

nebula
05-25-2009, 10:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
yeh , but what i would really love, is rubies and diamonds. :X
haha :D

format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
Because you do it for the people you love, Your husband and your children.and not a fat money eating sweaty boss.
Aw mashallah, yes thats true :D but funny :D lol, sometimes when my mum cooks things when shes angry they dont taste as good when shes happy :D i say to her mum you never cooked it with love thats why it didnt taste as good!!!

Zahida
05-26-2009, 06:51 PM
:sl: Brother........ Gossip me hahaha!!!!! Very funny and where do i find the time to do that bro????

Yes i like to take time to relax and joint this forum and over the months i have enjoyed being a member and learnt very much........... You have hurt my feelings though by insinuating that i gossip.....:cry::w::bump1:
format_quote Originally Posted by TKTony
I have loade wesher, scrubbed floor, cooked dinner and swept garden, while concreting kitchen, building balcony, re creating bathroomscaping garden and all with kids climbing on my back !!! and I live in north. luxury is somethimg that happens to other people :D Sister Zahida will win tho as women can do all this and still gossip

Tony
05-26-2009, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zahida
:sl: Brother........ Gossip me hahaha!!!!! Very funny and where do i find the time to do that bro????

Yes i like to take time to relax and joint this forum and over the months i have enjoyed being a member and learnt very much........... You have hurt my feelings though by insinuating that i gossip.....:cry::w::bump1:
Really !!!! I whole heartedley withdraw that suggestion then:statisfie

Zahida
05-26-2009, 07:09 PM
:sl: Thats ok brother............ I am sure men and women work equally hard in whatever they do.........................:w::bump1:

rpwelton
05-26-2009, 07:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
Is 30,000 pounds considered a high wage in the UK?

Some American reports estimate a housewife would earn over $100,000 (some as high as $150,000) given all the different jobs they perform.

Zahida
05-26-2009, 11:08 PM
:sl: @ Najm. Thankyou so much and you are very sweet. I am here for you at any time in whichever form you need be that aunty, sister, or mother............................. and i am sure that your mother is proud to have a son like you. Ameen:):w:

ummsara1108
05-27-2009, 06:46 AM
A Full Days Work As A Housewife/Homemaker:

My day goes alittle like this~ I wake up at 6am to get both of the children up, cook them breakfast before school and off to school we go, drive and drop off both of them, head home to wake hubby for his breakfast before work, then it's dish cleaning time. After he leaves for work it's clean up the house time, by 11am I am back out of the house to pick up my youngest from school, then back home, do homework (if any) and lunch. About 2pm he may or may not be taking a nap either way there is another round of picking up his toys and whatnot, at 3pm i'm back out picking up my oldest from school, do any shopping that may need done and errands such as banking, paying bills, fruit market, ect., by 5pm were back home preparing for dinner and getting the oldest homework done, by 6pm dinners is done we all sit and have great family time (if hubby is home by then) then again more dishes, then it's baths and laundry time, by 7:30pm we relax talk about the day, watch alittle tv and by 9pm the children are off to bed. By 10pm I am so exausted I am off to bed aswell (most times). So from 6am - 9pm = 15 hrs a day i'm busy with household things but a wife/mothers duty is really a 24 hr a day job. on the other hand my hubby may work about 12 hours, but with breaks and time to himself, when he comes home he showers, prays, eats/tea and on the couch/computer he goes.

What should I get paid? Hmmm, honestly my job is priceless, but figureatively speaking all I ask for are decent clothing, a nice car, a stable home and any neccessities I may need. And time off now and then (to collect some of the sanity that I may have lost throughout the day) LOL.... I love being a stay at home mom, knowing my children are safe, my husband happy and my life is in order. I wouldn't give it up for and outside job, however when they are all grown up I may reconsider. Peace to everyone.

BTW: if your wondering after being so exhusted why i'm up so late posting this, is because my brother is very ill and I can't seem to easily close my eyes.

syilla
05-27-2009, 07:04 AM
^^^ :) not all can be an efficient housewife...but from your posting..i'm sure you are. And i understand how tired a housewife can be...and most of the day no one seems to appreciate it. They only can highlight the house is not in order, the dinner is not prepared, the laundry is not being done... lol

Keep up the good work ukhtee...just remember it is a very good exercise to maintain a healty life :) :D and not to forget the rewards from Allah swt. InshaAllah...its the intentions that matter.

~TwinklingStar~
05-28-2009, 07:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ummsara1108

My day goes alittle like this~ I wake up at 6am to get both of the children up, cook them breakfast before school and off to school we go, drive and drop off both of them, head home to wake hubby for his breakfast before work, then it's dish cleaning time. After he leaves for work it's clean up the house time, by 11am I am back out of the house to pick up my youngest from school, then back home, do homework (if any) and lunch. About 2pm he may or may not be taking a nap either way there is another round of picking up his toys and whatnot, at 3pm i'm back out picking up my oldest from school, do any shopping that may need done and errands such as banking, paying bills, fruit market, ect., by 5pm were back home preparing for dinner and getting the oldest homework done, by 6pm dinners is done we all sit and have great family time (if hubby is home by then) then again more dishes, then it's baths and laundry time, by 7:30pm we relax talk about the day, watch alittle tv and by 9pm the children are off to bed. By 10pm I am so exausted I am off to bed aswell (most times). So from 6am - 9pm = 15 hrs a day i'm busy with household things but a wife/mothers duty is really a 24 hr a day job. on the other hand my hubby may work about 12 hours, but with breaks and time to himself, when he comes home he showers, prays, eats/tea and on the couch/computer he goes.

What should I get paid? Hmmm, honestly my job is priceless, but figureatively speaking all I ask for are decent clothing, a nice car, a stable home and any neccessities I may need. And time off now and then (to collect some of the sanity that I may have lost throughout the day) LOL.... I love being a stay at home mom, knowing my children are safe, my husband happy and my life is in order. I wouldn't give it up for and outside job, however when they are all grown up I may reconsider. Peace to everyone.

BTW: if your wondering after being so exhusted why i'm up so late posting this, is because my brother is very ill and I can't seem to easily close my eyes.
All work and no pay , makes a housewife :D

Zahida
05-30-2009, 01:02 PM
:sl: Dear sis Ummsara hope your brother is better. InshaAllah he will be ok. You are in my duas. Ameen:):w:

ummsara1108
05-30-2009, 02:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~TwinklingStar~
All work and no pay , makes a housewife :D

:D So true....lol

ummsara1108
05-30-2009, 02:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zahida
:sl: Dear sis Ummsara hope your brother is better. InshaAllah he will be ok. You are in my duas. Ameen:):w:

Ty so much he needs it, everyweek it gets worse and my concerns grow stronger. But of course the Dr's have no ideas, except the fact he has 2-3 seizures a wk and there gettting worse.

yusuf18
05-30-2009, 02:34 PM

mashallah your pay is with allah and you will get loads of rewards to baad many sister follow the west and beleieve thier lies this the role of a muslima mashlallah may allah reward you ameen

S_87
06-03-2009, 02:38 PM

6am mashaAllah thats early :p:omg:

yusuf18
06-03-2009, 02:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
6am mashaAllah thats early :p:omg:
mashallah the job of a housewife is realy rewarding with allah dont let the west inslave your minds the wife should cook/clean /wash dishers/make the beds and the husband goes out in the morning and comes back in night and she should get the dinner ready on time inshallah if not it can be forgiven

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-03-2009, 05:31 PM
^^To clarify, the woman doesnt HAVE to do it, but she does it to please Allah and keep the husband pleased with her....the Prophet(saw) used to do everythin himself most of the time, unlike nowadays ppl think its fardh on the wife...may Allah reward our sisters for their patience and hard work ameen.

I see it with my cousins. Their husbands are very unappreciative and some of them think they dont do much, subhanAllah.

Mikaela
06-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Like some sisters have already said, how the day normally goes by depends on the woman and her situation. I can only account for myself, and my days are almost never the same, but then nothing is ever the same and making plans is something you have to learn to forget all about when you have a baby! My day is usually about keeping the baby happy, the house clean and the fridge full for when my husband comes home. I usually try to get the grocery shopping and cleaning done before lunch so I'll have time to play with my daughter in the afternoon. But like I said, you can make all the plans you like, and nothing turns out the way you want them to with a baby around. Some days she's just tired and whiny and have a tummy ache or whatever, so I don't get anything done.
My husband is wonderful, mashaAllah, and he helps me when he can. He does the dishes sometimes, takes out the trash and he's vacuumed the apartment a couple of times when the baby was really small. He also helps me with her, coz otherwhise I'd never get any cooking done or have any showers....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.