/* */

PDA

View Full Version : can anyone tell me about yoga?

alice
05-12-2009, 06:22 AM
can any one tell me how to doing yoga.i heard that yoga help us to maintain our body healthy and strong.i don't know about step of yoga.can any one help me.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
amna_mirza
05-12-2009, 03:19 PM
:sl:
I have heard that people with health problems should consult their doctors before practicing yago since yoga involves lots of heavy breathing and stretching. I have heard pregnant woman and women who are on their monthly cycle should also stay away from a yoga. Just some things I have heard....I could be wrong here. You can find tons of yoga video's on youtube.

ardianto
05-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Islamic forum is not a right place for asking about yoga because yoga was originated from Hinduism and contains Hindu's ritual.
That was a reason why Malaysian and Indonesian ulema council passed a fatwa that ban yoga for Muslim.

amna_mirza
05-12-2009, 05:04 PM
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for bringing it up brother

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
05-13-2009, 03:06 PM
yeh stay away from yoga try pilates though. a good way to stay toned and fit at the same time

glo
05-13-2009, 03:12 PM
^ Although Pilates focuses on the physical aspects, it is still based on the movements of Yoga.

Trumble
05-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Oddly enough this cropped up as a 'diversity' issue at work recently. I don't know much about yoga but the consensus seemed to be that, regardless of derivation 'health' yoga and and 'religious' varieties tend to be pretty well separated in the West, and that it's perfectly possible to gain the health bebefits of the former while avoiding the latter which most Western teachers, indeed, know very little about. I can see that being different in the Far East, though, hence the fatwa.

K.Venugopal
05-14-2009, 10:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Islamic forum is not a right place for asking about yoga because yoga was originated from Hinduism and contains Hindu's ritual.
That was a reason why Malaysian and Indonesian ulema council passed a fatwa that ban yoga for Muslim.
Ardianto is quite right in saying that Yoga originated from Hinduism. I would add that the goal of Yoga reflects the Hindu philosophy of discovering divinity within ourselves. However, the yogic steps leading to its ultimate goal are many and in the early stages it is largely about achieving physical health and its practice is not dependent on the practitioner owing allegiance to any particular religious belief system.

Muezzin
05-14-2009, 05:13 PM
One thing's for sure. Yoga can't make you do this.

Street Fighter lied to us.

FatimaAsSideqah
05-14-2009, 05:36 PM

Yoga is an integral part of the Hindu religion.

http://www.hinduwisdom.info/Yoga_and...Philosophy.htm

K.Venugopal
05-15-2009, 05:30 AM
At a book-fair, I once glanced through a book written by a Muslim stating that the postures of salat are akin to yogic postures. In fact, the writer claimed that salat preempts the need for any yogic influence. Also, there are books on yoga which state that salat is an adaptation of yogic postures already enunciated by Hindus. The point I wish to make is that if something is beneficial for mankind, it is everyone's heritage - not just that of the pioneers. For example, the various medical systems prevalent in the world, including the allopathic, ayurvedic and unanai systems. As a Hindu, I would have no objection if yogic schools adapt the salat as part of its yogic routine - so long as it is not forced upon anyone.

seeker-of-light
05-16-2009, 04:08 PM
i personally don't see anything wrong with yoga, it is the individual person's choice to incorporate the religious aspect or not. i guess a hindu would incorporate the religious aspect of hinduism into their practice whereas someone who uses it to benefit health would only use it for health purposes, not religious. this is my own personal views however.

doorster
05-16-2009, 04:21 PM
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ml#post1051656
format_quote Originally Posted by seeker-of-light
i personally don't see anything wrong with yoga, it is the individual person's choice to incorporate the religious aspect or not. i guess a hindu would incorporate the religious aspect of hinduism into their practice whereas someone who uses it to benefit health would only use it for health purposes, not religious. this is my own personal views however.
neither do I (for non-Muslims)
i guess a hindu would incorporate the religious aspect of hinduism into their practice
pardon? yoga is the very essence of Hinduism! it is the pathway to becoming one with one or the other of the 3 gods

format_quote Originally Posted by alice
can any one tell me how to doing yoga.i heard that yoga help us to maintain our body healthy and strong.i don't know about step of yoga.can any one help me.
strange! come to an Islamic forum to ask about "how to doing yoga" when searching the word yoga would have churned out 1000 of instructional websites (unless of course it is an attempt to revive the argument again for the umpteenth time

http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...ml#post1051018

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ml#post1051649

seeker-of-light
05-16-2009, 04:42 PM
well i guess you are right about that, its probably better to learn about yoga from a yoga website or forums.

ardianto
05-17-2009, 04:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by K.Venugopal
At a book-fair, I once glanced through a book written by a Muslim stating that the postures of salat are akin to yogic postures. In fact, the writer claimed that salat preempts the need for any yogic influence. Also, there are books on yoga which state that salat is an adaptation of yogic postures already enunciated by Hindus. The point I wish to make is that if something is beneficial for mankind, it is everyone's heritage - not just that of the pioneers. For example, the various medical systems prevalent in the world, including the allopathic, ayurvedic and unanai systems. As a Hindu, I would have no objection if yogic schools adapt the salat as part of its yogic routine - so long as it is not forced upon anyone.
I found another thread that related to this post.

http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...ic-prayer.html

AvarAllahNoor
05-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Kundalini Yoga is better. It has nothing to do with Hinduism.

K.Venugopal
05-18-2009, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Kundalini Yoga is the higher science of Hinduism.

K.Venugopal
05-18-2009, 01:51 PM
I found another thread that related to this post.

http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...ic-prayer.html
Here is another site in a similar vein.

http://www.meditationinislam.com/index.html

doorster
05-19-2009, 01:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
salam bhai

all forms of joga are haraam, it is a form of Hindu worship no matter what name it is given

Yoga is from the Sankrit word Yug, meaning "union" (with the Divine, your higher "SELF"). Yoga is a path for transcending the ordinary mind (who you think you are) in order to merge with your "higher SELF" or "God SELF." Yoga means "to yoke" -- to yoke with Brahman (i.e., the "Infinite," the "Universal Spirit," the impersonal force that the Hindus call "God") via the realization of an altered state of consciousness, thereby theoretically releasing oneself from the bondage of endless reincarnation. Yoga comes out of the Hindu Vedas. It can be traced back to Patanjali, who was a religious leader. Shiva, one of Hinduism's three most powerful gods, was known as "The Destroyer" -- he's called Yogi Swara or the "Lord of Yoga."
Yoga originated from a school of thought in the Hindu religion, which suggests that postures can isolate the soul from the body and the mind.
Every Yoga teacher is, in effect, a Hindu or Buddhist missionary, even though "he or she may wear a cross, insist that Jesus was a great Yogi, (or pretends to be a Muslim scholar) and protests that Yoga is not a religion, but science. This is the most blatant of lies.
Yoga is clearly a concept that is deeply religious and pantheistic in its origin. It is widely practised and supported. It denies the reality of sin and total depravity, and believes that man is divine. They teach that there is a god within us, and we are to harness that and develop it through meditation and other metaphysical techniques. They teach that the only thing people need is enlightenment regarding their divinity. They believe that through reincarnation man is reunited with God. They believe in karma,which is a debt one owes because of his previous life. They also believe and teach the evolution of man as opposed to the Creation
"The goal of Yoga is 'self-realization ' -- to look deeply within what ought to be the temple of the one true God and there to discover the alleged 'true Self' or 'higher Self' and declare self to be God. Nothing could be more religious than that, yet with straight faces all of the Yogis insist that practising Yoga will not change anyone's religious beliefs. This is the religion of Antichrist; and for the first time in history it is being widely practised throughout the Western world as Transcendental Meditation and other forms of Yoga."
Source for quotes: The Seduction of Christianity (with slight modifications)

ardianto
05-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Here is another site in a similar vein.

http://www.meditationinislam.com/index.html
I show you that thread because I want to tell you.
You right, shalat posture is akin to yogic posture, but shalat posture is not adaptation from yogic posture.
As Muslims, we have no objection to yogic posture. But of course we cannot adopt Hinduism behind yoga.
I know, yoga is good for health. And I think Muslim must create 'Islamic Yoga'.

S_87
05-19-2009, 02:44 PM
I show you that thread because I want to tell you.
You right, shalat posture is akin to yogic posture, but shalat posture is not adaptation from yogic posture.
As Muslims, we have no objection to yogic posture. But of course we cannot adopt Hinduism behind yoga.
I know, yoga is good for health. And I think Muslim must create 'Islamic Yoga'.
islamic yoga?! thats kinda ... :hiding: the way i see it is yoga is to them like salah is to us :?

ardianto
05-19-2009, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
islamic yoga?! thats kinda ... :hiding: the way i see it is yoga is to them like salah is to us :?
Wrong name, sorry.
I mean 'halal yoga'. New kind of yoga without Hinduism inside.

doorster
05-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Wrong name, sorry.
I mean 'halal yoga'. New kind of yoga without Hinduism inside.
hm.

I've seen "halal" bacon, now halal yoga (becoming one with god inside) too wow!

K.Venugopal
05-21-2009, 06:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
Salat is about praying to God or worshiping God. Yoga has nothing to do with praying to God or worshiping God - it is about discovering our potential. It is another matter that in discovering our potential we discover God.

doorster
05-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Salat is about praying to God or worshiping God. Yoga has nothing to do with praying to God or worshiping God - it is about discovering our potential. It is another matter that in discovering our potential we discover God.
is it because it is to unite with the "god" that is in you?

K.Venugopal
05-21-2009, 04:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
is it because it is to unite with the "god" that is in you?
I have a feeling that one of the moderators is going to step in and terminate this discussion of Hinduism in an Islamic forum. But I think it would be interesting if this discussion is allowed to continue.

It is not about "uniting with the 'god' that is in you". (This implies that there is something alien within you.) The Hindu understanding is that all existence is one. Yoga is about discovering this in practical living. Yogis (the practitioners of Yoga) are seeking to achieve a state of integrity in the very act of living. The result is the living of an enchanted and harmonious life, which is our very birthright but often obscured because we tend to think that the truth is "out there" - when we are ourselves the truth.

Banu_Hashim
05-21-2009, 04:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FatimaAsSideqah

Yoga is an integral part of the Hindu religion.

http://www.hinduwisdom.info/Yoga_and...Philosophy.htm
yeah, but what if you're using the techniques used in yoga for fitness purposes only ?

إنما لأعمال با النيات

doorster
05-23-2009, 10:58 PM
I have a feeling that one of the moderators is going to step in and terminate this discussion of Hinduism in an Islamic forum. But I think it would be interesting if this discussion is allowed to continue.
Surely, you jest!

It is not about "uniting with the 'god' that is in you". (This implies that there is something alien within you.) The Hindu understanding is that all existence is one. Yoga is about discovering this in practical living. Yogis (the practitioners of Yoga) are seeking to achieve a state of integrity in the very act of living. The result is the living of an enchanted and harmonious life, which is our very birthright but often obscured because we tend to think that the truth is "out there" - when we are ourselves the truth.
really? thanx so only some people are Brahmin (dalits definitely have no gods in them)
Ardianto is quite right in saying that Yoga originated from Hinduism. I would add that the goal of Yoga reflects the Hindu philosophy of discovering divinity within ourselves. However, the yogic steps leading to its ultimate goal are many and in the early stages it is largely about achieving physical health and its practice is not dependent on the practitioner owing allegiance to any particular religious belief system.
would you please make-up your mind? what is the difference between me saying " discovering god within oneself" and you ealier saying "discovering divinity within ourselves"

"A Yogi is one who wants liberation from all worldly suffering and the cycle of birth and death, at which point there is a realisation of identity with the Supreme Brahman (the ultimate Reality or supreme self). In the Mahabharata, the goal of yoga is described as entering the world of Brahma.
and/or
It is a service to svayam bhagavān (Sanskrit for "The Lord" or Lord Himself),which is the ultimate goal of the yoga process, wherein perfection culminates in an eternal union with Hindu trinity or gods Vishnu, Rama or Krsna"
oopse!
every living being is Brahman and It is said:"Any one who knows the supreme Brahman becomes Brahman indeed"
what better way to find him than to become a jogi? You can read all about it in > Bhagavad-gītā

K.Venugopal
05-24-2009, 07:49 AM
"A Yogi is one who wants liberation from all worldly suffering and the cycle of birth and death, at which point there is a realisation of identity with the Supreme Brahman (the ultimate Reality or supreme self). In the Mahabharata, the goal of yoga is described as entering the world of Brahma.
It boils down to an individual attaining "peace that surpasseth all understanding". This yogic legacy of Hinduism is there to be claimed by any individual. Any denial of access to it, for whatever reason, would be artificial and temporary - Man needs to know himself before he can know anything else.

doorster
05-24-2009, 08:17 AM
Any denial of access to it, for whatever reason, would be artificial and temporary - Man needs to know himself before he can know anything else.
so it is 2 step process?

1 I find myself
2 after having found myself Brahman will just pop up and take up residence in me?

oh and what is this:

K.Venugopal
05-24-2009, 03:59 PM
so it is 2 step process?

1 I find myself
2 after having found myself Brahman will just pop up and take up residence in me?
"Brahman" as used in Hinduism (not to be confused with Brahma or Brahmin, which words have a different meaning) does not mean God or Allah. God or Allah primarily means 'creator'. Brahman does not mean 'creator' but is the 'is-ness' of existence.

I do not blame Muslims of being contemptuous of what they think is the Hindu claim of everyone being "God". For the Abrahamic religions, God is the entity that makes "footstools of nations". When Hindus say everyone or everything is God, they only mean that all existence is one. The oneness of all existence they call Brahman. This word Brahman has been misunderstood as God, the creator. God the creator is a concept that is transcended in the highest teachings of Hinduism - generally known as Advaita.

Therefore, to answer your question - discover yourself and discover you are God, nay - beyond God.

K.Venugopal
05-24-2009, 04:20 PM
would you please make-up your mind? what is the difference between me saying " discovering god within oneself" and you ealier saying "discovering divinity within ourselves"
So long as it is understood that by God we do not mean a creator separate from his creation, there is no difference between saying 'discovering god within oneself' and 'discovering divinity within ourselves'. We are thereby only saying that we are discovering the oneness of existence. God is not an alien.

Clover
06-02-2009, 09:09 AM
I cannot wait to go to a Buddhist Temple, and start Yoga (Nearly all buddhist temples, if your a "trainee" monk, teach you a very intense form of Yoga, and they use Meditation during it, and after it.

doorster
06-02-2009, 01:30 PM
how lovely for you!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.