/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are these sentences correct?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-20-2009, 02:29 AM
:sl:

If they're incorrect, can you let me know what's wrong?

كنتُ في البيتِ اليومَ

و اكلُ اكلٌ وعندِ حليبٌ

و على المائدةِ خبزٌ و لحمٌ

الان وصل سائح

وفي السماء قمرٌ

انا من امريكة

انا طويل مش قصير

النيل واسع مش ضيّق

القهوة في الفنجان

في أبريلُ أمطارٌ كثيرٌ

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
05-20-2009, 02:37 AM
:sl: akhi

let's go over what I am reading and you tell me if that is what you are intending ok?

1-was in the house today
2-I ate eatables and have milk
3 and on the table bread and meat
4-Now arrived the tourist
5-and in the sky a moon
6- I am from America America misspelled in this case
7- I am tall not short (in the vernacular)
8- The nile wide not narrow
9-Coffee in the saucer
10- in April many showers (misspelled)

now tell me is the above is what you were intending?
:w:
كنتُ في البيتِ اليومَ

و اكلُ اكلٌ وعندِ حليبٌ

الان وصل سائح

وفي السماء قمرٌ

انا من امريكة

انا طويل مش قصير

النيل واسع مش ضيّق

القهوة في الفنجان

في أبريلُ أمطارٌ كثيرٌ

جوري
05-20-2009, 02:48 AM
كنتُ في البيتِ اليومَ
first one should have 'ana'
و اكلُ اكلٌ وعندِ حليبٌ
should be more like akalt ta3aman wa 3indi 7aleeb should add a y to 3indi
remove the wa
الان وصل سائح
should ad al to sa'e7
وفي السماء قمرٌ
remove the wa or make it asa'ama beha qamar
انا من امريكة
I am from America you can leave it as such or write it this way امريكا
انا طويل مش قصير
instead of mish you can use wa lasto
النيل واسع مش ضيّق
you can use instead of mishليس
القهوة في الفنجان
this one is fine but of course it is an incomplete sentence.
في أبريلُ أمطارٌ كثيرٌ
__________________ you can just say tomtir katheraan fi April or add taa marboota to katheer

and Allah swt knows best

was I of help?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-20-2009, 02:59 AM
Jazakallah Khayr, this is really helpful!

1-was in the house today
2-I ate eatables and have milk
3 and on the table bread and meat
4-Now arrived the tourist
5-and in the sky a moon
6- I am from America America misspelled in this case
7- I am tall not short (in the vernacular)
8- The nile wide not narrow
9-Coffee in the saucer
10- in April many showers (misspelled)
This is pretty much what I intended to get across. The problem is, we're learning Egyptian dialect along w/ the classical Arabic or modern standard Arabic and it gets a bit confusing.

akalt ta3aman
This would be: اكلتُ تعماً ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
05-20-2009, 03:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd al-Rahman
Jazakallah Khayr, this is really helpful!

This is pretty much what I intended to get across. The problem is, we're learning Egyptian dialect along w/ the classical Arabic or modern standard Arabic and it gets a bit confusing.

This would be: اكلتُ تعماً ?
lol.. why on God's green earth would anyone want you to learn useless Egyptian Arabic? *sigh*

this is how you'd say it 'أكلت طعاماً

جوري
05-20-2009, 03:05 AM
try to change the other sentences at least to reflect the minor changes I suggested..

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-20-2009, 03:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
lol.. why on God's green earth would anyone want you to learn useless Egyptian Arabic? *sigh*

this is how you'd say it 'أكلت طعاماً
I don't know ! It's frustrating!

try to change the other sentences at least to reflect the minor changes I suggested..

Here we go:

انا كنتُ في البيتِ اليومَ

اكلت طعاماً وعندِي حليبٌ

على المائدةِ خبزٌ و لحمٌ

الان وصل السائح

في السماء قمرٌ

انا من امريكا

انا طويل مش قصير

النيل واسع ليس ضيّق

القهوة في الفنجان

في أبريلُ أمطارٌ كثيرةٌ

جوري
05-20-2009, 03:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd al-Rahman
I don't know ! It's frustrating!

Here we go:

انا كنتُ في البيتِ اليومَ

اكلت طعاماً وعندِي حليبٌ

على المائدةِ خبزٌ و لحمٌ

الان وصل السائح

في السماء قمرٌ

انا من امريكا

انا طويل مش قصير

النيل واسع ليس ضيّق

القهوة في الفنجان

في أبريلُ أمطارٌ كثيرةٌ
well done well done, now add و ليس to the nile sentence instead of lys without the wa lol..

I hope for your sake he doesn't press on teaching you Egyptian Arabic, it is akin to ebonics a complete waste and not even conducive to the most important thing which it to learn the Quran..

P.S I have started a thread in miscellaneous which needs approval but better than approval a scholarly answer :D

Insha'Allah you'll do great on your exam tomorrow :)

جوري
05-20-2009, 03:27 AM
you want to impress him with Egyptian Arabic?
then you'd have to say

ana kont fi el'beyt inharda (you've heard of inhar'da)? :haha: I suspect not

ana akalt wo shribt laban (yes no 7aleeb here but laban)

3la 'tarabeeza la7ma wo 3ysh (yes no ma'eda) here or khobz it is 3ysh

ana taweel moush osyer (no q here)

el'nyl wasi3 mish daya'a

el'ahwa fi'fingan

be'tmatar kteer fi abril

see pls don't bother with egyptian Arabic, it will not serve you!

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-20-2009, 03:31 AM
well done well done, now add و ليس to the nile sentence instead of lys without the wa lol..

I hope for your sake he doesn't press on teaching you Egyptian Arabic, it is akin to ebonics a complete waste and not even conducive to the most important thing which it to learn the Quran..

P.S I have started a thread in miscellaneous which needs approval but better than approval a scholarly answer :D

Insha'Allah you'll do great on your exam tomorrow :)

Ah, right, I thought I did something wrong. The 'wa' was missing!

I've been through two semesters of it, she made us listen to Egyptian Arabic songs, some film (from which I have to memorize a song by tomorrow), then she tried to teach us, or rather pile on us the proper classical Arabic, but in a completely unorderly fashion. If I didn't have motivation from outside of the class to learn Arabic..I'd probably be completely hating it right now, like most of the other people in the class are.

Ps- Thread has been approved!

Jazakallah Khayr for all your help, last bit is to please remember me in your duas for my final on this tomorrow!

doorster
05-20-2009, 03:33 AM

جوري
05-20-2009, 03:35 AM
of course I will remember you in my du3a akhi, Insha'Allah you'll ace it..
Have you ever asked her what her motive is in teaching you Egyptian Arabic or making you listen to ridiculous songs or even more ridiculous their sinful movies.. I know the best way to learn a language (as I learned in ESL) was to talk to others and read alot of books.. but people taught us proper English not some crappy dialect which on top of other maladies can change I mean completely opposite meaning of some of the Quranic verses if read Egyptian style, including some of the names of Allah swt where they substituted the G as sounds in George for G as sounds in good...

forgive me she seems like a retard, tell her a complete outsider said that but after you've passed your exams of course lol.. and don't burn your bridges in case you end up in her class again...

جوري
05-20-2009, 03:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
feel free to add your input akhi.. I am a little upset this woman is imposing on them something so useless and obsolete especially if learning Arabic is for the purpose of learning the Quran, not socializing in night clubs with the latest egyptian disco..

I remember when I was in KSA we had to take oral exams reciting Quran and old poetry and I was just a child then.. can you imagine making them recite songs...

have you heard egyptian songs? they are an abomination, a cacophony of nonsense.. at least the new stuff.. I hope for br. Abdur'rahman's sake she is making them recite the poetry used in the old songs rather than the new crap..

meh.. I too should stop butting in.. I have semi fulfilled my duties here and shouldn't make his journey more annoying..

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-20-2009, 03:43 AM
of course I will remember you in my du3a akhi, Insha'Allah you'll ace it..
Have you ever asked her what her motive is in teaching you Egyptian Arabic or making you listen to ridiculous songs or even more ridiculous their sinful movies.. I know the best way to learn a language (as I learned in ESL) was to talk to others and read alot of books.. but people taught us proper English not some crappy dialect which on top of other maladies can change I mean completely opposite meaning of some of the Quranic verses if read Egyptian style, including some of the names of Allah swt where they substituted the G as sounds in George for G as sounds in good...

forgive me she seems like a retard, tell her a complete outsider said that but after you've passed your exams of course lol.. and don't burn your bridges in case you end up in her class again...

Jazakallah Khayr.

The songs and movies are seriously messed up..something about a girl tempting guys to fall in love with her, and then singing about it etc, the one i gotta memorize goes something like: '3ini bitrif, wa ra'si bitlif...'; total rubbish.

It's my last class insha'allaah, can't wait to be out!

I'll close the thread.

doorster
05-20-2009, 03:44 AM
feel free to add your input akhi.. I am a little upset this woman is imposing on them something so useless and obsolete especially if learning Arabic is for the purpose of learning the Quran, not socializing in night clubs with the latest egyptian disco..

I remember when I was in KSA we had to take oral exams reciting Quran and old poetry and I was just a child then.. can you imagine making them recite songs...

have you heard egyptian songs? they are an abomination, a cacophony of nonsense.. at least the new stuff.. I hope for br. Abdur'rahman's sake she is making them recite the poetry used in the old songs rather than the new crap..

meh.. I too should stop butting in.. I have semi fulfilled my duties here and shouldn't make his journey more annoying..

walaikum salam and jazakillah khair

I think it is important to learn language of people as well as of the Quran. In original post all I said was that (once you know Quran) you can learn to speak and understand basic Egyptian in around 12 hours spread over few days

جوري
05-20-2009, 03:45 AM
rofl.. my eyes know and my head is spinning-- you are right total rubbish as you brits say

جوري
05-20-2009, 03:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
walaikum salam and jazakillah khair

I think it is important to learn language of people as well as of the Quran. In original post all I said was that (once you know Quran) you can learn to speak and understand basic Egyptian in around 12 hours spread over few days

there is a hadith indeed about learning a language of a people safeguards you from their evils (can't source it now).. but I think this woman's intentions are in the wrong place with useless movies and debauched songs....... :hmm:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.