/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Kids' TV is disturbing

Muezzin
05-22-2009, 06:02 PM
You know if you have to look after a pre-school relative, but also have work to do, sometimes you plonk 'em down in front of YouTube and search for kids' programmes to amuse them? Ever noticed how... bizarre some of these shows actually are?

Back in the day, in our pre-school nappies, people of my age used to watch a selection of quality programming.

Things like Fireman Sam:

Media Tags are no longer supported

Postman Pat:

The Wombles:

And of course, Sesame Street:

It was a different, more innocent, less drug-induced-hallucination, all-round more awesome kinda time.

Nowadays, things are a little different.

Kids still love a good dose of Teletubby slurred speech retardation:

And the Tweenies, which doesn't seem too brain-destroying, only annoying:

But, there's one thing that actually disturbs me. The living, live-action nightmare that is... In the Night Garden:

I mean, seriously. 25 seconds into that particular video and you're plugged directly into the mind of a foetus on LSD. You've got these gibbering deformed children with turds screwed into their cookie heads, you've got a little stage with a flashing Doctor Who light, you've got humongous half-Cherio, half-Easter eggs swaying gently in the distance where they stare into your soul with dead, glassy eyes. They all dance what looks like an ancient Sumerian ritual to bring about the coming of Gozer. And to top it off, there's this blue guy with a red cape, who looks like a rain drop made of towels. What's his name? Macapaka? TackyPaki?

But, hey, my pre-school relatives lap it up.

I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who finds certain modern programming for the kiddywinks a bit... off.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Soulja Girl
05-22-2009, 06:41 PM
:sl:

Quite disturbing I must say! :><:

:w:

Faith.
05-22-2009, 07:21 PM
My little 2 yr old brother loves watching 'In the Night Garden'.
and it seriously slows your brain down. I mean you can't even understand what it's about. and plus the charcters are just weird. The characters have confusing names like. Tomli Boo. Maka Pakas. Iggal Pigal. I mean seriously come on. They're a waste of time.

S_87
05-22-2009, 09:24 PM

postman pat, fireman sam, bob the builder etc i 'watch' almost everyday :rolleyes: never noticed the weirdness because i switch off, but for sure postman pat is one bad postman

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Karina
05-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Bring back Playbus I say! :giggling:

Tony
05-22-2009, 09:45 PM
There seems to be a renewed trend for horror and magic in kids tv, there is also cheeky adult humour in the form of innuendo that gets thru. I dont think its acceptable but what can you do, if your kids dont get to watch it they learn off others and makes them envious also. I am so fortunate that I can explain stuff to my kids, they also pray with me and hav no quarms about telling their teachers that they are wrong regarding veiws of Jesus that are being impressed on them at our multi cultural school !. Sorry, slipped into a rant their. Their are worse things than strange cartoons is what I think I mean :?

witness
05-22-2009, 09:56 PM
It is disturbing....

Theres a cbeebies website for younger children with a character called mr tumble...im sure the gesture he makes with his finger when he wants to go to the toilet is not appropriate for kids or anyone for that matter. (unless its how you say it in sign language?)

One can only wonder what other rubbish may be hidden within these programmmes which seem so innocent...
Yet perhaps there is no surprise since television was always meant to be a tool for brainwashing and propaganda and if young minds are 'washed' of good morals to be citizens of a secular 'free' society it most certainly is working. :(

Muezzin
05-22-2009, 09:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

postman pat, fireman sam, bob the builder etc i 'watch' almost everyday :rolleyes: never noticed the weirdness because i switch off, but for sure postman pat is one bad postman
No, no, those ones are fine.

In the Night Garden is the one that looks as if someone is hallucinating.

Yanal
05-22-2009, 10:03 PM
My little brother watches "Max and Ruby and The backyardins." are those bad?

czgibson
05-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I mean, seriously. 25 seconds into that particular video and you're plugged directly into the mind of a foetus on LSD. You've got these gibbering deformed children with turds screwed into their cookie heads, you've got a little stage with a flashing Doctor Who light, you've got humongous half-Cherio, half-Easter eggs swaying gently in the distance where they stare into your soul with dead, glassy eyes. They all dance what looks like an ancient Sumerian ritual to bring about the coming of Gozer. And to top it off, there's this blue guy with a red cape, who looks like a rain drop made of towels. What's his name? Macapaka? TackyPaki?
They're having a dance to a bit of music. You're reading all this LSD / Doctor Who / ancient Sumerian ritual stuff into something that's really very simple and innocent.

But, hey, my pre-school relatives lap it up.
I bet they do. Any of us would at that age - most toddlers love rhythm and bright colours.

I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who finds certain modern programming for the kiddywinks a bit... off.
Do you genuinely think that there's some sinister "message" in there that's harming the nation's kids?

[Apart from the idea that music is okay, of course...]

Peace

Amadeus85
05-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Ernie and Bert were said to promote homosexuality.

Tony
05-23-2009, 12:21 AM
must defend mr tumble, the guys called justin and does a lot for disabled kids etc. Now the chuckle brothers are something else completley and quite sinister if u ask me

Sahabiyaat
05-23-2009, 08:59 AM
the night garden....is like something from the x files ...seriously creepy...and its meant to be for kids! and the names r so ridiculous, its like its for retards!

i mean bk in the day, programmes were cool ,entertaining and educational, i learnt more from seseame street than school!

Muezzin
05-23-2009, 10:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

They're having a dance to a bit of music. You're reading all this LSD / Doctor Who / ancient Sumerian ritual stuff into something that's really very simple and innocent.
My tongue is in my cheek.

I bet they do. Any of us would at that age - most toddlers love rhythm and bright colours.

Do you genuinely think that there's some sinister "message" in there that's harming the nation's kids?
My tongue is bulging the skin beside my mouth.

I think I'll move this to Puzzles and Humour. Putting it in General kind of sent the wrong message.

format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85
Ernie and Bert were said to promote homosexuality.
See, I never got that impression. They're just roomies.

I remember reading in the news a while back that one of the Muppets on the current show has HIV though. Seriously. To teach kids about the disease and not to shun those who have it etc. Evidence.

Tony
05-23-2009, 10:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
the night garden....is like something from the x files ...seriously creepy...and its meant to be for kids! and the names r so ridiculous, its like its for retards!

i mean bk in the day, programmes were cool ,entertaining and educational, i learnt more from seseame street than school!
like the clangers for instance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mysterious Uk
05-23-2009, 01:49 PM
I think the only ones i watched were sesame street and of course the classic: Playdays.. woop.

I can't believe a show with coloured blobs that can't talk properly, with televisions on their bellies (teletubbies) was meant for kids.. o_0 They look so creepy... (to me). I've never seen, in the night gaarden, my cousin loves it but judgin from the youtube vid :eek: doesn't look any better than teletubbies..

alcurad
05-23-2009, 02:38 PM
man, how I hated sesame st.,,,
I only liked the drawn animations, not the ones with the dolls n' other stuff, it was all creepy and boring, am i the only one?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Lol my brain started hurting watching the "in the garden" clip. Who watches that O.O

Amadeus85
05-23-2009, 05:29 PM
See, I never got that impression. They're just roomies.

I remember reading in the news a while back that one of the Muppets on the current show has HIV though. Seriously. To teach kids about the disease and not to shun those who have it etc. .
I was joking actually :statisfie

Güven
05-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Was it just me or did I just hear some Fart sounds in the background ? :skeleton:

and they don't even talk properly!

Faith.
05-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Don't worry, It's not just you. There all sort of weird sounds in the program.:X:-[

Muezzin
05-23-2009, 08:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TKTony
like the clangers for instance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know if you're saying that show is insane or genius, but it's actually both:

format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
man, how I hated sesame st.,,,
Come on, everyone loves Sesame Street.

I only liked the drawn animations, not the ones with the dolls n' other stuff, it was all creepy and boring, am i the only one?
People of my age even had the best animated shows. Transformers, Masters of the Universe*, Ghostbusters, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Batman, X-Men, Spider-Man...

*Granted, this particular cartoon looks amazingly gay nowadays. Never mind. We were only children.

~Juwairiyah~
05-24-2009, 07:16 AM

Don't know about it being "creepy" and all, but my 19 month old son loves it. He becomes glued to the tv the minute it comes on. If there is any cartoon that sends nothing but bad messages to kids (be they young or old) is the simpsons!!!

Sahabiyaat
05-24-2009, 07:28 AM
you no, sesame street started off as a tester and became so popular it ran for so many yrs, longest running educational programme or something, its in the guiness book of records :)

Anyone who dont like sesame street...has a very cold heart..^o)..i mean how cann you not like the BIG BIRD!!!!!!!:D and the cookie monster ..and ELMO!

Karina
05-24-2009, 08:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Juwairiyah~

Don't know about it being "creepy" and all, but my 19 month old son loves it. He becomes glued to the tv the minute it comes on. If there is any cartoon that sends nothing but bad messages to kids (be they young or old) is the simpsons!!!
The Simpsons :D They're certainly not perfect, but:

"Does the Simpson family really embody all that is wrong with western society? Or, with its humanity, clear-sightedness and shrewd observations on how we actually live, does The Simpsons offer invaluable lessons for life?

Homer and Marge's marriage may have its ups and downs, but they are determined to stay together. Take the episode 'A Millhouse Divided', where Millhouse's parents decide to split up, prompting Homer to take a long, hard look at his own marriage. When he fears it may be disintegrating, he too files for divorce. But only so he can remarry Marge, giving her the perfect wedding she missed out on first time round.

Although Homer's relationship with his children is flawed, at least he has one. Indeed, in a world where so many marriages end in divorce, Marge and Homer can be seen as teaching us lessons about stability and conflict resolution.

Childcare expert Dr Pat Spungin, founder of the website raisingkids.co.uk, believes Homer is indeed a role model. "He spends too much time on the couch and drinks too much beer, but the good thing about him is he's always there, a constant presence in his children's lives. He works and he provides them with financial and emotional security," she says.

"And they all do things together as a family: they eat together, watch TV together and go on trips. Marge is a good mother: very level-headed and very strong, reining in Homer. They form a very solid unit and when they fight, they fight constructively, they don't shout and scream, they articulate their problems and sort it out."

No matter what chaos reigns during an episode, moral order is always restored by the closing credits. Neither Bart nor Homer are malicious, and they generally come good in the end. The episode where Bart gets caught stealing a computer game ends with him buying Marge a frame for a family photograph with his own pocket money, while the daddy-daughter episode which starts with Homer exploiting Lisa's ability to predict baseball matches, ends with Homer resolving to spend more quality time with Lisa after all.

Paul Cantor, English professor at the University of Virginia, agrees. "The Simpsons continually offers an enduring image of the nuclear family in the very act of satirising it," he says. "Many of the traditional values of the family survive this satire, above all the value of the nuclear family itself. In effect, the show says: take the worst-case scenario - the Simpsons - and even that family is better than no family at all."

For that reason it makes perfect viewing for children of all ages.

"The Simpsons teaches children lessons that some adults may not want them to learn, but which are important nonetheless," says Baggini. "It teaches them to be cynical, but about the right things such as when adults tell them they should be holier-than-thou, and not about things such as relationships and friendship. "

Source

Trumble
05-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Not really, although as mine outgrew it four or five years ago I haven't really seen any since then. I think modern programming does tend to engage more with kids' minds and stimulate them, outside of the 'educational' shows (like Sesame Street, and Blue Peter in the UK, that have always been there). It is easier to get things wrong attempting to do that than with just 'telling stories' in the old-fashioned way, but I think the latter is over-rated when talking about TV (reading or telling stories to kids yourself is totally different). It just smacks rather too much of just keeping them quiet while you find something else to do.

Muezzin
05-24-2009, 04:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Not really, although as mine outgrew it four or five years ago I haven't really seen any since then.
You lucky, lucky man.

I think modern programming does tend to engage more with kids' minds and stimulate them, outside of the 'educational' shows (like Sesame Street, and Blue Peter in the UK, that have always been there). It is easier to get things wrong attempting to do that than with just 'telling stories' in the old-fashioned way, but I think the latter is over-rated when talking about TV (reading or telling stories to kids yourself is totally different).
By that same token, you wouldn't really want the kids to get an 'education' from television programmes.

But my point is some of this stuff is just insane to watch.

It just smacks rather too much of just keeping them quiet while you find something else to do.
Well, duh. Why else would you park a kid in front of Ceebeebies?

ragdollcat1982
05-24-2009, 04:14 PM
I love Sesame Street!! I just love Elmo!

Yanal
05-24-2009, 04:18 PM
I use to love teletubies.

~Juwairiyah~
05-25-2009, 03:18 AM
Childcare expert Dr Pat Spungin, founder of the website raisingkids.co.uk, believes Homer is indeed a role model. "He spends too much time on the couch and drinks too much beer, but the good thing about him is he's always there, a constant presence in his children's lives. He works and he provides them with financial and emotional security," she says.
A cartoon character who sits on the couch infront of the telly drinking beer everyday, who gets drunk and passes out, who acts violently towards his kid Bert, who, at times, runs around naked, who is rude to neighbours, who does NOT teach his kids manners, who does not give a darn about his kids' education, who, sometimes, does not even remember that he has got a third child (maggie), is considered to be a "role model"...a good "role model"? Sure, indeed Homer is a good "role model"....a good role model to bad parenting that is!!! :thumbs_up

Yanal
05-25-2009, 03:21 AM
And physical brain damage^,that man must be thinking of himself,he is probably like Homer and is trying to praise himself.

Muezzin
05-25-2009, 09:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Juwairiyah~
A cartoon character who sits on the couch infront of the telly drinking beer everyday, who gets drunk and passes out, who acts violently towards his kid Bert, who, at times, runs around naked, who is rude to neighbours, who does NOT teach his kids manners, who does not give a darn about his kids' education, who, sometimes, does not even remember that he has got a third child (maggie), is considered to be a "role model"...a good "role model"? Sure, indeed Homer is a good "role model"....a good role model to bad parenting that is!!! :thumbs_up
Well, all this stuff about the Simpsons is really a moot point, since it's not intended for children in the first place.

Zico
05-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Wait till you see this:

It makes even grown ups brains explode!!

Zico
05-25-2009, 05:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
I haaated that Mcdonald's THING. :enough!:
Haha I know exactly how you feel, but the problem is the more I listen to it the more it becomes appealing to me :X

....help?

Mysterious Uk
05-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Oh my,:uuh: what an incredibly strange video..

Zico
05-25-2009, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Lol, I'm not talking bout listening. I mean I always hated that ugly scary clown. :X
This is not helping!! :hmm:

Güven
05-25-2009, 06:14 PM
That was one weird video!!

I HATE that guy!!!

czgibson
05-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Greetings,
Well, all this stuff about the Simpsons is really a moot point, since it's not intended for children in the first place.
Surely it's intended for people of all ages? Many children watch it too.

Having said that, back when I was teaching English to adults I would sometimes use bits from the Simpsons in lessons, and I found that most parents liked the show, but some would get exasperated when Homer did something stupid and their kids copied him. Anyone who took him as a role model in every respect would obviously not last long, so I think the professors either haven't been quoted in full or haven't thought it through.

For me, the Simpsons is the greatest satire of our times, and I think we're very lucky to have it.

Peace

Muezzin
05-27-2009, 04:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Surely it's intended for people of all ages? Many children watch it too.
That's probably due to the sub-par writing as of late :p

It's no more aimed at kids than Futurama or King of the Hill or other animated sitcoms. I don't think it's even aimed at people of all ages. Pixar movies are aimed at people of all ages. The Simpsons tends to aim for the teens-and-above crowd (in my opinion).

Having said that, back when I was teaching English to adults I would sometimes use bits from the Simpsons in lessons, and I found that most parents liked the show, but some would get exasperated when Homer did something stupid and their kids copied him. Anyone who took him as a role model in every respect would obviously not last long, so I think the professors either haven't been quoted in full or haven't thought it through.
Maybe they were just joking and/or writing the article for a bet.

For me, the Simpsons is the greatest satire of our times, and I think we're very lucky to have it.

Peace
Maybe. Still, I don't think it's really aimed at the kiddywinks. Kids may watch it, but that doesn't mean it's intended for them.

Bint-Al-Islam
05-29-2009, 01:40 AM
OMG I used to love teletubies and watch it everyday.. (lolz when i was a little kid)
Alhamdulillah i got over it :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.