/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Negative reps

glo
05-23-2009, 05:24 PM
I have noticed that some newcomers are accumulating negative reps fast.

I am wondering if a certain amount of negative reps in themselves can lead to somebody having their account disabled?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Amadeus85
05-23-2009, 05:35 PM
I have never given any negative rep to anyone and I got just once through such a long time . :D

glo
05-23-2009, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zÂk
But just for the sake of testing... you can try it on Br Alpha Dude^. He just won't mind it.
He'd have to upset me first. :D

S_87
05-23-2009, 05:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zÂk
But just for the sake of testing... you can try it on Br Alpha Dude^. He just won't mind it.
thats so rude what you did :raging:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
$tranger
05-23-2009, 06:09 PM
I can't even give any Neggiesimsad

Thinker
05-23-2009, 06:18 PM
I don’t know how to give negative reps and am in no hurry to find out how but is it simply by clicking the red rectangle next to the green triangle?

I get negative reps all the time, I tend to find that they come from those who don’t want to enter into structured debate or can’t because although they don’t like the message they can’t contradict it so they lash out with the negative reps.

Güven
05-23-2009, 06:29 PM
No the red button is to report posts

you click the Green box to give either neg. or Pos. Reps.

I never gave or received any neg reps.

EDIT: I just tested :D I love the message that comes after " Thanks for deducting reputation from this user." lol

piXie
05-23-2009, 06:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Nope. High neg rep count doesn't lead to any sort of banning.
What happened to your reps?

Thinker
05-23-2009, 06:39 PM
At a point in the past I spent some time reading through posts on how the rep thing, specifically ‘rep power,’ and I made some enquiries and got nowhere. I formed the view that the system is configured to do what it does but does anybody know exactly what that is?

جوري
05-23-2009, 07:01 PM
negative reps are a system set up like ebay.. how would folks know of a bad seller unless buyers are up and forthcoming about their purchase? people form business and relationships that way, based solely on their reputations when there is not much else to go on even when the threat looms of getting negative in return.

I receive many a negatives (sometimes even from muslims) I don't whine about it.. it is someone's opinion of how you are doing and shouldn't have any other connotation~!

I remember you glo for instance giving me a negative rep over a picture of self-flagellating Catholics which you thought were inappropriate for the forum.. that was your opinion, and it was all fine and good!

I have also received infractions for exposing a former member as a fraud, and it actually makes me smile every time I visit that and I click on it, I am reminded of the moment of his descent from his web of lies!

It is a perfectly Ok system.. Thinker has 500 + posts and 2000+ reps.. I tell you that is more a welcome than when I myself had 600 posts on this forum, or any forum for that matter.. Are Muslims well received on the jihad*tch sites? the infidel sites? the pipes sites? Can't tell you how many times my posts were edited or deleted or me banned all together.. I see many non-Muslims here for 4~5 yrs, well established, and many of you also send me hateful messages through my PM box (got to figure out how to block some of you)

I really don't see it as a way of singling out some, I really think those who are majorly in the negative are nothing but trolls!

all the best

glo
05-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Nope. High neg rep count doesn't lead to any sort of banning.
Thank you for clarifying.
I was just wondering if giving negative reps could be used as a way to 'hound somebody out of the forum'.
Clearly that is not possible ...

Peace

جوري
05-23-2009, 07:17 PM
It's like a popularity/status type thing. But, not exactly. :ermm:

Rep count is the total number of reps you've received.
Rep power is the total number of reps you can give to other members for any one post. Rep power is calculated based on a variety of factors, such as post count (I think) and date joined.
Maybe there is a reputation Nazi on the loose? :haha:
Don't worry you'll always be number one :D or was it two? or maybe 3? :X I don't remember imsad

here it to petitioning of you getting your reps back ;D

:w:

glo
05-23-2009, 07:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye

here it to petitioning of you getting your reps back ;D

I'll sign that petition! :)

What did Alpha do with his reps?
Shame they don't have any cash value and cannot be traded in for (halal) goods ... (Now, there's an idea!) :D

جوري
05-23-2009, 07:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I'll sign that petition! :)

What did Alpha do with his reps?
Shame they don't have any cash value and cannot be traded in for (halal) goods ... (Now, there's an idea!) :D
he had lots especially compared to his post count.. I know I was jealous though I have never begrudged them to him he was very deserving of them, I remember whining to him about negative reps I had received and he'd try to make it up by giving me positives back in the day when he didn't even have the 'POWER' :haha: and the negative thing bothered me then :raging: but not enough to start a thread :X

Just prior to the reduction, I was in second place. Although, I've been first too. :statisfie
aha.. sorry dude, I am all out for the day but when i make my next round insha'Allah, you shall be on the list (twice) :statisfie

the thousand mile road begins with a single step! :D

Yanal
05-24-2009, 01:33 AM
I gave and received one neg rep to/from that same person. The Ruler! Now that a glitch was on my account I lost the memory of my reps and got a couple of grand confiscated like Alpha,but what can I say we are one.

Muslim Woman
05-24-2009, 01:51 AM
Salaam/peace

I have noticed that some newcomers are accumulating negative reps fast.
how can we know who are getting neg reps ? I got some neg rep :-[ don't remember if I gave anyone any neg ; may be I should give a try ? :bump1:

جوري
05-24-2009, 01:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam/peace

how can we know who are getting neg reps ? I got some neg rep :-[ don't remember if I gave anyone any neg ; may be I should give a try ? :bump1:
:sl:

lol.. the comparative religion and world affairs sections are just a cesspool of folks begging for negatives, if you want to give it a try start there :D

Yanal
05-24-2009, 01:54 AM
You can see the new members getting neg reps since they start with 5 and most members have a higher rep then 5 and if they give a neg rep it minus the reps of the member causing it to show -12 for example. However for normal members like myself if I get a neg rep it will likely not be noticed.

doorster
05-24-2009, 02:08 AM
I only ever got negative reps from a certain anti-Sufi type of Muslimaat + a blue Moddes + a Christian Pastor + a former LI member who is now at tmz and Buddhist anti-Muslim type

and I've given it out at least 15 times (mostly to evangelists)

bulk of my positive rep is made up of about same 7 Muslims and Muslimaat

Yanal
05-24-2009, 02:10 AM
Dont be generous in giving neg reps to most lurkers because if they are curious about Islam which might lead them into converting you wouldn't want to give a neg rep and discourage them because one neg rep might change a persons life and that would be questioned at the Day of Judgement. Just reminding everyone.:)

doorster
05-24-2009, 02:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Jr
Dont be generous in giving neg reps to most lurkers because if they are curious about Islam which might lead them into converting you wouldn't want to give a neg rep and discourage them because one neg rep might change a persons life and that would be questioned at the Day of Judgement. Just reminding everyone.:)
it is not possible to give neg rep to a lurker they need to make at least one anti-Muslim post before one can give them rep of any sort

egyptballer
05-24-2009, 02:18 AM
Dont be generous in giving neg reps to most lurkers because if they are curious about Islam which might lead them into converting you wouldn't want to give a neg rep and discourage them because one neg rep might change a persons life and that would be questioned at the Day of Judgement. Just reminding everyone.

Great post,most people don't know the value of one action.So yes I agree only give a neg rep to those who truly deserve a negative rep or to test it out on an account you notified.inshAllah

Yanal
05-24-2009, 02:59 AM
You don't even need to test it out because inshAllah you will not have to use it.

glo
05-24-2009, 12:18 PM
I am amazed at those people who seem to remember all who they received/gave negative reps from/to ...

The control panel only shows the most recent ones, so either some people must have amazing memories or keep a record.
Either way, should reps play such am important role? :?

Cabdullahi
05-24-2009, 12:27 PM
We should have a thread where we give thanks to those who give positive reps

someone will be a frontrunner ehm ehm

Yanal
05-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Most positive reps for good=Woodrow or zAk.

egyptballer
05-24-2009, 02:35 PM
The control panel only shows the most recent ones, so either some people must have amazing memories or keep a record.
Either way, should reps play such am important role?

(Reps) purpose is to hopefully give users an idea of how respected, knowledgeable, helpful, gracious, etc., a person is. It is a system in which you rate your peers. It is a system that, hopefully, will make you think twice about your posts.

SOURCE:http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/new...ystem-faq.html

But since this is an Islamic forum we shouldn't be focusing on reps,post count,rep power,etc we should be should be focusing on how much this post will benefit us in the hereafter.inshAllah

Yanal
05-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Or benefit the members in any way which is a good deed for us if that occurs.

egyptballer
05-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Or benefit the members in any way which is a good deed for us if that occurs.

Yes,your right.As said in this Hadith.

Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) said:
Whoever invites towards (the path of) guidance shall receive a reward equal to the rewards of those who follow him without this decreasing anything from their rewards. (Sahih Muslim)

Yanal
05-24-2009, 03:15 PM
aamirsaab:? What he do?

What you talking about?
Anyway whats the need to shout it out?

Muezzin
05-24-2009, 04:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
We should have a thread where we give thanks to those who give positive reps
That sounds an awful lot like asking for reps in public, which is punishable by infractions.

Why not just give a 'thank you' by way of a rep in return to the giver?

Yanal
05-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Or just PM the thanks.

Muslim Woman
05-25-2009, 01:57 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
...Why not just give a 'thank you' by way of a rep in return to the giver?
The purpose of rep is to give the poster an idea that how good or bad opinion s/he is expressing ? In that case , we must not give rep to others just because s/he gave me good rep .

Also , I don't understand why we need to give rep to other people before giving rep to the same person ? If s/he writes good posts & deserve my rep , why I have to wait ??

Yanal
05-25-2009, 02:40 AM
u can find a gud post n thank the person and comment on the post too. Two things done in one.

Muezzin
05-25-2009, 10:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman

The purpose of rep is to give the poster an idea that how good or bad opinion s/he is expressing ? In that case , we must not give rep to others just because s/he gave me good rep .

Also , I don't understand why we need to give rep to other people before giving rep to the same person ? If s/he writes good posts & deserve my rep , why I have to wait ??
What I mean is, if someone gives you a rep, rather than thanking them in a public thread (which would effectively be asking for reps in public) just give them reps in return for a deserving post they may make in the future :)

Or as Alpha Jr said, you could just send them a 'Thank you' PM.

Muslim Woman
05-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Salaam/Peace ,:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

... just give them reps in return for a deserving post they may make in the future :)
ok . In that case , I need a good memory to remember his/her name :)

Or as Alpha Jr said, you could just send them a 'Thank you' PM.
It's ok with same sex participants . We must not send pm to opposite sex on daily basis just to thank him/her for rep.

Yanal
05-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Sister let's not question our own peoples knowledge shall we,just forget that suggestion.

جوري
05-27-2009, 05:19 AM
I am amazed at those people who seem to remember all who they received/gave negative reps from/to ...

Either way, should reps play such am important role? :?
I personally have a photographic memory and it serves me well on all facets..
& I don't know, should reps play such an important role? I direct this question to you of course since you started the thread it must have been on your mind more than other members considering this is the first thread of its kind and you have indeed made use of it as system!

all the best

glo
05-27-2009, 06:35 AM
I personally have a photographic memory and it serves me well on all facets..
Photographic memory must be a very useful thing indeed! :)

& I don't know, should reps play such an important role? I direct this question to you of course since you started the thread it must have been on your mind more than other members considering this is the first thread of its kind and you have indeed made use of it as system!
I started this thread to inquire whether new members could lose their account because of their negative reps (in other words could be thrown out from the forum by member votes, rather than mod action)
The answer I received was No, that was not the case.

But then other people contributed to the thread, and the thread took off.
This tells me that people are interested in the rep system, and reading some posts I wonder indeed whether the rep system is becoming too important:
  • High rep counts have become somewhat of a status symbol
  • People's feelings are genuinely hurt by negative reps
  • Reps have become a way of forging allegiances and friendships

Perhaps Alpha did a very respectable and humbling thing by giving up his rep power.
Something to ponder for us all ...

all the best
And to you, Skye. Peace :)

Rebel
05-27-2009, 07:27 AM
I don't understand this rep system thingy :><:

Rebel
05-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Ah, thanks.

I suppose you deserve a ne-... er, positive rep for that then :statisfie

Rebel
05-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Hang on, if Rep Power=0... does that mean I can't give any?

I gave you one n it's there in my User CP... but I'm not sure if you got it :><:

Rebel
05-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Good... the comment was all you needed :D

جوري
05-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Photographic memory must be a very useful thing indeed! :)
Yup!

I started this thread to inquire whether new members could lose their account because of their negative reps (in other words could be thrown out from the forum by member votes, rather than mod action)
The answer I received was No, that was not the case.
Indeed, we have some members here with negs in the thousands and are still members!

But then other people contributed to the thread, and the thread took off.
This tells me that people are interested in the rep system, and reading some posts I wonder indeed whether the rep system is becoming too important:
  • High rep counts have become somewhat of a status symbol
  • People's feelings are genuinely hurt by negative reps
  • Reps have become a way of forging allegiances and friendships
I don't know if any of those pts are valid..
I genuinely don't think anyone cares where their reps are.. it is nice however to see some positive feedback especially from folks you admire.. I used to really be happy receiving positives from snakelegs-- and I knew she always meant what she wrote, they meant much to me.. and now that she is gone, I often think of all the encouraging things she had said and it makes me smile!
also it can be used for alot of other reasons like giving people reps you wouldn't normally leave on the regular forum (or if someone has blocked their PM system), links, encouragement, funny pix.. etc

Perhaps Alpha did a very respectable and humbling thing by giving up his rep power.
Who said he gave them up?

Something to ponder for us all ...
you should indeed if it is of some importance to you!

And to you, Skye. Peace :)
all the best

جوري
05-27-2009, 12:32 PM
I did, in this thread lol. Look back here, the white text. :X
lols dude, all this time I thought Zak was playing a cruel joke on you
MashaAllah, I always wanted photographic memory too. imsad
it isn't always an asset you know-- sometimes it can play painful memories over and over too..

Yanal
05-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Who has a photographic memory? Alpha I might join your group soon..Not mod group:X low rep group...

glo
05-27-2009, 03:21 PM
it isn't always an asset you know-- sometimes it can play painful memories over and over too..

Good point. I can imagine that ... imsad

Banu_Hashim
05-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Slightly un-related, but maybe it would be a good idea to have a feature on your Control Panel or somewhere else where it shows someone who has quoted you, just in case they want you to reply. Because otherwise you don't really know...

Whatsthepoint
05-27-2009, 10:34 PM
This site is a fascists censorship machine sometimes anyway.

chacha_jalebi
05-27-2009, 10:41 PM
negative reps are funny :D

i bet someone is gona neg rep me and say is that funny :mmokay:

but seriously the reasons givin for neg reps are sometimes hilarious. muhahaaa

its a good thin to have, but like explained it dont make a difference to the person

Tony
05-27-2009, 10:42 PM
can i neg rep, what power me thinks:coolious:

Yanal
05-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Yeah but it would only subtract 9...but it is a great power at times,mods have better powers...THE INFRACTION GUN :X

Najm
05-27-2009, 11:51 PM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Is this the thread where everyone gets named and shamed for Neg-heads and Neg-reppers?

FiAmaaniAllah

Yanal
05-27-2009, 11:53 PM
No it was a thread to clarify Glos doubts which have been cleared by respected Alpha Sr.

I think the threads purpose has been served so :threadclo
Close the thread so I can feel good..please...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.