/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help with an assignment.

bjc22
05-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Hello. I am a religious studies student and I have an assignment that I could use some help with. Basically I have to take a picture of anything with religious implications and describe it in 1500 words. Its slightly more complicated than that but that is the short version. I'm not a Muslim but my roommate is so I decided to take a picture of his prayer mat. Unfortunately for me he knows little about his faith so he isn't of much help. I don't trust internet sources, and part of the assignment is getting first hand insight from members of the faith, which in this case is Islam.

I would appreciate if i could get different explanations about what the point of a prayer mat is, what it means to you as a Muslim, and its religious implications. From the little i know it is to make sure the surface on which prayer is done is "ritually" pure. But i doubt i can write 1500 words about that. It is due tomorrow morning and I foolishly left it until the last minute. Your input is priceless to me right now. Thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
05-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Hi :)

I think you should talk about another topic on Islam, maybe to do with our belief in God being One? With Him being the Creator, Sustainer, the giver of Life and death and bringing the dead back to life again? How we believe that He is the only One who is the law maker and sender of guidance to send mankind on the right way, so He sends Messengers' to call to this truth to guide people to good. They warn the people of Judgment Day where every person will be asked about what he did in this life, and they will be responsible for their ownself only. If they believed in God's Messengers, and did good - they will be rewarded in Paradise, and if they disobeyed and rejected Gods messengers and did evil - they will be punished for their own sins.

That's the main message of Islam summarised up, and you can get more information from here;

http://islamreligion.com

Its a really simple, trustworthy and easy to use site. Maybe that can help you, and if you have more questions - there should be a chat feature there to, to discuss with someone knowledgable on any questions you have.

If you need more help, please do ask! :)

Peace.

Hugo
05-27-2009, 06:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by bjc22
Hello. I am a religious studies student and I have an assignment that I could use some help with. Basically I have to take a picture of anything with religious implications and describe it in 1500 words. Its slightly more complicated than that but that is the short version. I'm not a Muslim but my roommate is so I decided to take a picture of his prayer mat. Unfortunately for me he knows little about his faith so he isn't of much help. I don't trust internet sources, and part of the assignment is getting first hand insight from members of the faith, which in this case is Islam.

I would appreciate if i could get different explanations about what the point of a prayer mat is, what it means to you as a Muslim, and its religious implications. From the little i know it is to make sure the surface on which prayer is done is "ritually" pure. But i doubt i can write 1500 words about that. It is due tomorrow morning and I foolishly left it until the last minute. Your input is priceless to me right now. Thank you.
The trouble here if I might say so is that a picture of a mat does not give you much to pick out and describe and so you have limited yourself before you start.

I would suggest you look on Google images for say pictures of churches or Mosques and if you look hard enough you might get a picture of both at the same time. For example, I know that in Abu Dhabi the Christian church is right next to the Mosque.

If possible get a picture with people walking to of from these places that you can talk about the differences, the devotion, the colours, Muslims and Christians together, architectural differences, church bells and the muslim call to prayer, etc

If you want to be more abstract look at my picture, its a road, where does it go where does it comes from and then its easy to talk about the Christian or Islamic way of life; life is like following a road, twists and turns, accidents, getting lost, stuck in traffic etc and them move to say how faith helps you on this (life) journey.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.