/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What can i do?

SistaSista
05-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Salam

I am needing some advice on practical steps which can be taken to become a better muslim.

I understand there are some supplications I can say so many times a day? Can I say these in English? Is a supplication a dua? Do I have to hold out hands?

And reading books, which are the most benefical books to read for a revert beginner? Can anyone suggest where I can download a accurate dictionary of Arabic words where the 'find' function can be used?

Also is there any kind of checklist I can refer to? There is so much, I would like some order to my Islamic eduaction, maybe anyone who went to Islamic school can suggest some structured learning.

Jazzak Allahu khairan
Sistasista

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Caller الداعي
06-25-2009, 07:03 PM
salam
mashallah welcome to islam!
may Allah help u on ur journey of knowledge
i think it would be good if u got incontact with other muslim sisters or maybe a study circle where u would benefit very much and then u can take it from there!

The Ruler
06-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Welcome to the folds of Islam.

format_quote Originally Posted by SistaSista
I understand there are some supplications I can say so many times a day? Can I say these in English? Is a supplication a dua? Do I have to hold out hands?
Supplications and dua's are important, yes. But they're pointless if you don't know the basics. Supplications are normally done by holding out your hands... But as far as my knowledge goes, that's not compulsory. It's what the Prophet (saw) did. And you're recommended to do it too.

Du'as can be made in any language, as far as I know. Supplication = du'a, yes.

And reading books, which are the most benefical books to read for a revert beginner?
You could begin with a translation of the Qur'an. Then a collection of hadiths etc. Plus books on 'aqeeda and fiqh even.

Also is there any kind of checklist I can refer to? There is so much, I would like some order to my Islamic eduaction, maybe anyone who went to Islamic school can suggest some structured learning.
Start with the five pillars - basics, I know... But there's quite a lot to them. Then Imaan, Ihsaan etc. I'm going in the order of the hadith that was narrated where Angel Jibraeel visited the Prophet (saw) to teach him things. *shrugs*

Beardo
06-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Salam

I am needing some advice on practical steps which can be taken to become a better muslim.

And reading books, which are the most benefical books to read for a revert beginner? Can anyone suggest where I can download a accurate dictionary of Arabic words where the 'find' function can be used?

Jazzak Allahu khairan
Sistasista

Sister, ISlam is very broad. We all have our own interests. Some of us prefer jurisprudence, others Hadith, others Tafsir. Alhamdulillah, I always found myself inclined to Spirituality topics, such as Jealousy etc. I don't know why, but I always thought it would be a good way to open a new door to life, a new outlook. Really, it has such big effects. For example, to prevent jealousy also means you are preventing backbiting, and therefore you will always speak good. It has a domino effect both towards good and bad. It's whatever you choose.

But that's MY personal preference. As a revert, this is not meant to be demeaning, but perhaps you can start with researching more into the 5 pillars. I would recommend the book Taleemul Huq. I think most people give it out for free, but it's a very informative book. It mixes together Jusispridence, Hadith, Hereafter, 5 pillars, and so much more.

In terms of checklisting, I'd say start with time prioritization. Hypocritical for me to say, but it's good to have a routine. Set a specific time for knowledge, preferable the mornings. But whatever you do, 1 or 5 minutes, 3 or 4 hours, just be consistent in it. Consistency is a rare quality. I look back and I found myself much more in routine when I was very busy, and when I was studying my Hifdh and school simultaneously. Now, I lost that touch. Struggling to get it back. Believe me, you feel better about yourself that way too. Spiritually, physically, everything!

Hope that helped!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The Ruler
06-26-2009, 10:51 AM
And reading books, which are the most benefical books to read for a revert beginner?
I was going through my stack of books, and I thought of recommending Ar-raheeq al-makhtum (The Sealed Nectar). It's a detailed account of the life of the Prophet (saw); the best I've come across. For more book recommendations etc, this and this might be helpful.

Mikaela
08-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Wa aleykum salaam, sister!

Besides books, there's a pdf that a sister sent to me called "fortress of the muslim" and it's got ALOT of du'as and what to say when and so on. It's a good compliment to the basics (even though it's got alot of basic stuff too).

But like most people have said already, take one step at a time, don't try to do everything at once. When you've got one thing down, add another.

Muslimlearner
08-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Masha-Allah!
I'm so happy for you sister!Allah barak fiki!

Here some nice and ,,light,, interesting books:

http://www.harunyahya.com/en.m_book_index.php

there is some week hadees,but not to worry!

Mikaela mean this book for du'aa:

http://www.islamawareness.net/Dua/Fortress/

one of my favorite du'aa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfG6cwnLs7w

,,Noor-a du'a,,

:statisfie

ducki
08-04-2009, 07:51 PM
may Allah guide u.. we all need guidance and mercy from Allah!

Nora.
08-05-2009, 12:47 PM
you can say this remembrance(dua'a) twice a day

أذكار الصباح والمساء

The Morning and Evening ‘Thiker’ (Remembrance)

1. بسم الله الذي لا يضر مع اسمه شيء في الأرض ولا في السماء وهو السميع العليم (ثلاث مرات) [رواه الترمذي]

“In the name of Allah with whose Name nothing is harmful on Earth nor in the Heavens and He is the All-Hearing, the All-Knowing.” (Three times) [Reported by Tirmdhi].

2. أعوذ بكلمات الله التامات من شر ما خلق. (ثلاث مرات) [مسلم].

“I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allah from the Evil of what He has created” (Three times) [Muslim].

3. "قل هو الله أحد" ثلاثا, "قل أعوذ برب الفلق" ثلاثا , "قل أعوذ برب الناس" ثلاثا. [أبو داود و الترمذي و النسائي]

.Recite Chapter 112 (Three times), Chapter 113 (Three times),
and Chapter 114 (Three times). [Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi and An-Nasa’ey].

4. آية الكرسي "الله لآ إله إلا هو الحي القيوم" [النسائي في عمل اليوم و الليلة]

Recite

Verse Al-Kursi (V255, Ch 2) “Allah Lailaha illa Huwa” [An-Nasa’ey].

5. "أمسينا و أمسى الملك لله و الحمد لله لا إله إلا الله وحده لا شريك له , له الملك و له الحمد وهو على كل شيء قدير, رب أسألك خير ما في هذه الليلة , وخير ما بعدها , و أعوذ بك من شر هذه الليلة و شرما بعدها , رب أعوذ بك من الكسل وسوء الكبر , رب أعوذ بك من عذاب في النار , و عذاب في القبر" و إذا أصبح قال ذلك أيضاً: " أصبحنا و أصبح الملك لله". [مسلم].
原帖地址: TMZ Islamic Forum http://www.themuslimzone.com/sisters...html#post29607

“We have reached the evening and at this very time unto Allah belongs all sovereignty, and all praise is for Allah. None has the right to be worshipped except Allah, Alone without any partner, to Him belongs all sovereignty and praise and He is over all things omnipotent. My Lord, I ask You for the good of this night and the good of what follows it and I seek refuge in You from the evil of this night and the evil of what follows it. My Lord, I seek refuge in You from laziness and senility. My Lord, I seek refuge in You from torment in the Hell Fire and torment in the grave.” Likewise, one says in the morning: “We have reached the morning and at this very time unto Allah belongs all sovereignty…” [Muslim].. " اللهم بك أصبحنا وبك أمسينا , وبك نحيا و بك نموت , و إليك النشور " و إذا أمسى فليقل " اللهم بك أمسينا وبك أصبحنا , وبك نحيا و بك نموت , و إليك المصير" [الترمذي و أبن ماجه].

“O Allah, by your leave we have reached the morning and by Your leave we have reached the evening, and by Your leave we live and by Your leave we die and unto You is our resurrection.” And at night say: “O Allah, by your leave we have reached the evening and by Your leave we have reached the morning, and by Your leave we live and by Your leave we die and unto You is our return.” [Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah].

7."اللهم عالم الغيب والشهادة فاطر السماوات و الأرض رب كل شيء و مليكه , أشهد أن لا إله إلا أنت أعوذ بك من شر نفسي و من شر الشيطان و شركه, وان أقترف على نفسي سوءاً أو أجره إلى مسلم". [أبو داود و الترمذي]

“O Allah, Knower of the unseen and the seen, Creator of the Heavens and the Earth, Lord and sovereign of all things, I bear witness that none has the right to be worshipped except You. I seek in You from the evil of myself and from the evil of Shytan and his call to Shirk(Polytheism), and from committing wrong against myself or bringing such upon another Muslim”. [Abu Dawud and Tirmidhi].
原帖地址: TMZ Islamic Forum http://www.themuslimzone.com/showthread.php?p=29607
8. "اللهم إني أسألك العفو و العافية في الدنيا و الآخرة , اللهم إني أسألك العفو و العافية في ديني , ودنياي , و أهلي , و مالي , اللهم أستر عوراتي , و آمن روعاتي , اللهم احفظني من بين يدي , و من خلفي , و عن يميني , و عن شمالي , و من فوقي , و أعوذ بعظمتك أن أغتال من تحتي". [أبو داود و النسائي و ابن ماجه].

“O Allah, I ask You for pardon and well-being in this life and in the Here-After. O Allah, I ask You for pardon and well-being in my religion and worldly affairs, and my family and my wealth. O Allah, veil my ‘Awrah’ (everything privet you do not want anyone to see from your body and others, or your weakness) and set at ease my dismay. O Allah, preserve me from the front, the back(behind), my right, my left and from above, and I seek refuge in Your Greatness that I may be attacked from below.” [Abu Dawud, An-Nasa’ey and Ibn Majah].

9."لا إله إلا الله وحده لا شريك له , له الملك و له الحمد و هو على كل شيء قدير" (مائة مره). [متفق عليه].

“None has the right to be worshipped except Allah; He is One and has no partner. All the kingdom is for Him, and all the praises are for Hi, and He is Omnipotent” (One hundred times) [al-Bukhari and Muslim].

10. أصبحنا على فطرة الإسلام , و كلمة الإخلاص , و على دين نبينا محمد r و على ملة أبينا إبراهيم حنيفاً مسلماً و ما كان من المشركين. [رواه أحمد].

“We rise upon the Fitrah(religion of Islam) of Islam, and the word of Sincerity(La illah illa Allah), and upon the religion of our Prophet Muhammad r and on the religion of our Father Abraham Hanif(Islamic Monotheism) and Muslim and he was not of the Mushrikeen(Polytheists, idolaters)”. [Reported by Ahmed]

11. يا حي يا قيوم برحمتك أستغيث اصلح لي شأني كله و لا تكلني إلى نفسي طرفة عين . [رواه الترمذي]

“O Ever Living, O self-Subsisting and supporter of all, by Your Mercy I seek help, rectify for me all of my affairs and do not leave me depend on myself, even for the blink of an eye”. [Reported by Tirmidhi].

12. اللهم أنت ربي لا إله إلا أنت خلقتني و أنا عبدك , وأنا على عهدك و وعدك ما استطعت أعوذ بك من شر ما صنعت , أبوء لك بنعمتك علي و أبوء بذنبي , فاغفر لي فإنه لا يغفر الذنوب إلا أنت. [رواه البخاري]“

O Allah, You are my Lord, none has the right to be worshipped except You, You have created me and I am your servant and I abide to Your covenant and promise as best as I can, I seek refuge in You from the evil of what I have done (wrong), I acknowledge Your favor upon me and I acknowledge my sin, so forgive me, for none forgives sins except You”. [Reported by Al-Bukhari].

13. سبحان الله و بحمده (مائة مره) [مسلم]

“Subhan Allah Wa behamdih (How perfect Allah is and I praise Him)” (One hundred times). [Muslim].
Add to Nora's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Muslimah4Eva x
08-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Salamalaikum sister,

I suggest you go on this website: Type in google and then write: Riyad-us-Saliheen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!