/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean?

nebula
06-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Asalaamalaykum brothers and sisters

could you tell me if im saying this right?

Ya ikhwaani wa akhwaati filla

does it mean: My brothers and sisters for the sake of Allah right?

or am i wrong

thank you

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
doorster
06-02-2009, 03:38 PM
walaikm salam
Ya ikhwaani wa akhwaati sounds like "Oh my brothers and sisters" and "My brothers and sisters"

but I think "for sake of Allah" is fi sabilillah (in way of Allah)

I prefer "Oh my brothers and sisters in Islam" instead of "oh my brothers and sisters for sake of Allah" unless it is "oh my brothers and sisters, for sake of Allah, stop being >>fill-in whateva<<."

crayon
06-02-2009, 03:40 PM
filla literally means "in Allah"... the meaning of the sentence, it means "my brothers and sisters in Allah (sort of like in Islam, etc.)

islamlover_girl
06-02-2009, 11:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nebula
Asalaamalaykum brothers and sisters

could you tell me if im saying this right?

Ya ikhwaani wa akhwaati filla

does it mean: My brothers and sisters for the sake of Allah right?

or am i wrong

thank you
its right sentence

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
doorster
06-02-2009, 11:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamlover_girl
its right sentence
in which country's language/dialect "filla" means "for the sake of Allah", please? (I ask because I am not Arab but a Pakistani)

islamlover_girl
06-03-2009, 12:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
in which country's language/dialect, please? (I ask because I am not Arab but a Pakistani)
Its fusha and so many (shaikh ) begin there Islamic sermons with this words ,also in Egypt dialect we use the same expression.

جوري
06-03-2009, 12:04 AM
fe illah not filla.. could be in concert with Egyptian dialect..

like so, ba7ibik fi illah..
I love you (in the feminine) in Allah..

and Allah swt knows best..

hope I was of help akhi?

:w:

doorster
06-03-2009, 12:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamlover_girl
Its fusha and so many (shaikh ) begin there Islamic sermons with this words ,also in Egypt dialect we use the same expression.
jazkillah khair but what would "for sake of Allah" be in Arabic of Holy Quran?

doorster
06-03-2009, 12:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
fe illah not filla.. could be in concert with Egyptian dialect..

like so, ba7ibik fi illah..
I love you (in the feminine) in Allah..

and Allah swt knows best..

hope I was of help akhi?

yes or is it aiwa? :)
jazakillah khair!

جوري
06-03-2009, 12:15 AM
yes or is it aiwa? :)
jazakillah khair!
ahhhhhh.. lol.. I hate Egyptian dialect, but I'll say I can stand it better from women than men.. it just isn't a masculine form of Arabic you know, but admittedly the Lebanese dialect for men is even worst :X

GreyKode
06-03-2009, 03:04 AM
ahhhhhh.. lol.. I hate Egyptian dialect, but I'll say I can stand it better from women than men.. it just isn't a masculine form of Arabic you know, but admittedly the Lebanese dialect for men is even worst :X

I am egyptian myself LOL, not very fond of the dialect but I think its the most comprehensible across the arab world, but I don't think its...
less masculine:mmokay:.I agree about the Lebanese dialect though. :D
I hate pronunication of the letter Jeem as Geem, I gotta admit it.

جوري
06-03-2009, 03:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by GreyKode
I am egyptian myself LOL, not very fond of the dialect but I think its the most comprehensible across the arab world, but I don't think its...
less masculine:mmokay:.I agree about the Lebanese dialect though. :D
I hate pronunication of the letter Jeem as Geem, I gotta admit it.
yes I think this vexes me along with 'ya 7awl illah' astghfor Allah...I mean it is mindless some of the stuff they say.. also alot of the names of Allah swt have a completely different meaning by their pronunciation .. I hazard say it is the most easily understood because of all their less than decent movies shown across the world..

the most difficult to understand are Moroccan/ Algerian .. I remember this one fellow named mansour, Moroccan he was, I swear I couldn't understand any language he spoke, Arabic, french or English and I speak all three.. I always nodded and smiled, he could have said I just crashed into your car, hid your homework and beat your cousin for lunch money for all I know :D

Anyway, I am all for sign language now, I am really interested in learning that next if Allah swt wills..

doorster
06-03-2009, 03:33 AM
does it seem as if they've abbreviated Arabic words to form (virtually) a new language? or
has Egyptian always been as it is now or was it properly spoken without omitting any letters/syllables, a thousand years ago?

BTW. anyone want ahwa? I need some :)

جوري
06-03-2009, 04:06 AM
does it seem as if they've abbreviated Arabic words to form (virtually) a new language? or
has Egyptian always been as it is now or was it properly spoken without omitting any letters/syllables, a thousand years ago?

BTW. anyone want ahwa? I need some :)
I can sure use some ahwa and asbereen 1000mg preferably :lol: I won't get into my computer woes right now...
the one really great thing about egypt is I was writing myself prescriptions left and right and no one asked me for my license or identification or anything, it was wonderful antibiotics, anesthetics, classed sleeping pills, I even put my cousin on an antidepressant and there were no questions asked..

has egyptian Arabic always been this way? to be honest I am not sure..I mean even egyptians sometimes mock each other' dialects my father who is from port saiid and has turkish ancestory, mocks my mother's accent who is from cairo and from morrocan ancestory (she is first generation egyptian) and she secretly well recently not so secretly does the same especially over the way they pronounce peas.. it is a marvelous thing how even in a small country folks mock each other.. none more mocked than 'sa3yda' folks of upper egypt who are actually located in the south of Egypt lol and make the bulk of racial jokes, and it is akin to the 7amsi who are from syria they are the syrian type of sa3ayda that they are constantly made fun of...so what can I tell it is a strange world .. is it the same in pakistan? people just want to kill each other the whole world over?

brotherubaid
06-04-2009, 07:36 AM
yes I think this vexes me along with 'ya 7awl illah' astghfor Allah...I mean it is mindless some of the stuff they say.. also alot of the names of Allah swt have a completely different meaning by their pronunciation .. I hazard say it is the most easily understood because of all their less than decent movies shown across the world..

the most difficult to understand are Moroccan/ Algerian .. I remember this one fellow named mansour, Moroccan he was, I swear I couldn't understand any language he spoke, Arabic, french or English and I speak all three.. I always nodded and smiled, he could have said I just crashed into your car, hid your homework and beat your cousin for lunch money for all I know :D

Anyway, I am all for sign language now, I am really interested in learning that next if Allah swt wills..

Sheikh aziz farhan al anzi here in uae tells a funny story about morrocan dialet , they actually call fire AL aafiyah .. n here in uae we usually say this alot , Allah Yateeik Al Aafiyah .. aafiyah can mean safety from evil , or safety in general or could mean forgivness or protection .. but in morrocan it means FIRE or HEAT lol .. soa brother from here went there n cops stopped him for a driving offence n after lots of apologizing n all they let him go n when he got back in the car he turned back to the cops n said Allah Yateikum Al Aafiyah !! lol they wre like What?!! we are being nice to u n you say May Allah give al aafiyah.. lol the guy didnt have aclue what was going on with him n why were they so mad .. any way long story but pretty funy how it coud mean something completley diffrent.

جوري
06-04-2009, 02:55 PM
rofl.. hilarious.. yeah I know some pretty common words translate to obscene things in Moroccan... it is actually quite anecdotal ...

brotherubaid
06-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Yep n the even funnier thing is thats not where the story ends , The sheikh was basically telling us how people when they are used to saying a particular thing cant help it t times , so when they oulled him ouit of the car agin n asked him why did he Pray against them he again apologised n all n after a while they let him go again n he got in the car n right before he drove off he said Allah yateekum al aafiyah , lol he Meant it coz its a beautiful duaa actually n people here r too used to it n what happens is it naturally comes out of u.

Another similar incident sheikh told us the same day involved sheilh salim at taweel of kuwait when he went to saudi, i think he was in haram al makki if im not mistaken n Allah knows best, The shiekh said to some one Assalamo ALikum , n he replied Halla! sheikh paused for a second n looked at his companions n said Assalam o alikum n the guy again replied Halla , so they sheikh thought it was necessary to advise him so he started to tell him the hadiths n verses from the quran that salam should be replied like this n it was the right of a muslim on another n HALA was not appropriate answer, so the guy completely understood n apologised n thanked the sheikh n seemed like he completely understood. Well after advising him when the sheikh was about to leave the guy he said to him Assalam O Alikum as he stared to turn around n walk away The guy Replied HALA!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!