/* */

PDA

View Full Version : No sound after formatting HD

Snowflake
06-06-2009, 04:42 PM
:sl:

I reformatted my pc, but saved sound drivers on an external hard-drive first. I thought all I would have to do was drag it back to my desk top and everything would be fine. But that's not the case.

I downloaded drivers again from www.asus.com but again no luck. Is there something I'm supposed to be doing that I don't know about?

Thank you for your help.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Banu_Hashim
06-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Um... have you actually tried installing the sound driver again? (Instead of just dragging the file).

Generally that's what you have to do when you re-format. You have to re-install all the drivers.

Snowflake
06-06-2009, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Um... have you actually tried installing the sound driver again? (Instead of just dragging the file).

Generally that's what you have to do when you re-format. You have to re-install all the drivers.
Well yeh when dragging didn't work I reinstalled again from asus.com

This is what I see when I open folder.. two more folders with each one showing more files..

soundmax?t1244307516 -

Banu_Hashim
06-06-2009, 05:09 PM
hmm... ok... what's inside each of the folders labelled "SE" and "W2K_XP" ?

Sometimes there's a file, the type where you know you gotta double click to install something, you know what it looks like ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
06-06-2009, 07:13 PM
In 'SE' I see..

SE?t1244315350 -

and in W2K_XP

W2K XP?t1244315463 -

:?

Banu_Hashim
06-06-2009, 07:18 PM
hmmm... To install you would either click on the "inst16" icon in the 'SE' folder, or the "install" in the 'W2K_XP' folder...

Try double clicking on the one in the W2K_XP folder. You may have to restart after installation. If it doesn't work try the other one.

(This driver is definitely compatible with the model of your PC right?... by choosing it from here: http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us)

AabiruSabeel
06-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Right click on "My Computer", select Properties, go to Hardware tab and click Device Manager. You would see a Question mark in front of items that are not properly installed.
Double click on your audio device if it has the question mark, then you will get the hardware installation wizard. For the first screen, select "No, not this time". Click next.
Then select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) and click next.
Then select Search for the best driver in these locations and check the box "Include this location in search". Click Browse and select the folder where you have downloaded the drivers.

I hope this will solve the problem.

Snowflake
06-06-2009, 07:32 PM
JazakAllahu khayr, I will try both.

Snowflake
06-06-2009, 08:09 PM
A big big thank you & jzkAllahu khayr brothers. I've got sound now, alhumdulillah.

Snowflake
06-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Should I disable windows firewall if I have it running on my antivirus program?

Salahudeen
06-07-2009, 01:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
Should I disable windows firewall if I have it running on my antivirus program?
yes yes disable ur firewall yes yes u should because if you have both running at the same time then they will conflict you see!!

I have firewall built in with my anti virus so I disable Windows Firewall cos they both conflict with each other so yes u should disable it ok,.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.