PDA

View Full Version : An Introduction to the Science of Hadith

sunnicourses
06-09-2009, 05:22 PM
An Introduction to the Science of Hadith

Assalamu ‘alaykum wa-Rahmatullahi wa-Barakatuh

Dates: 4th-5th, 11th-12th, 18th-19th & 25th-26th July 2009

Time: 2pm-6pm

Fee: £30 (Includes course materials and light refreshments)

Venue: Mulberry Sports Centre, Mulberry School, Richard Street (Off Commercial Road), London, E1 2JP

Nearest Transport Links: Tube: Whitechapel, Aldgate East, DLR: Shadwell, Buses: 15, 115, 135, D3

Synopsis:

This summer experience the rich history of Hadith dissemination under the blessed company of Shaykh Abul Hasan Hussain Ahmed (hafizahullah). The course is structured to be on the level of what is contained in the Nukhbat al Fikar of Imam Ibn Hajar al ‘Asqalani (rahimahullah) and the students will get a preliminary grasp of the science of Hadith (‘Ulum al Hadith). With the availability of time the text of Nukhbat al Fikar will be read out by the Shaykh with the complete chain of transmission back to Imam Ibn Hajar al ‘Asqalani (rahimahullah) and Ijaza to the text will be granted to those who participate fully throughout the course. A certificate will also be granted to those who participate fully throughout the course insha’Allah.

The 4-weekend course is open to brothers and sisters, for the benefit of all students, there will be comfortable seating arrangements with adequate sound/visual systems insha'Allah. Separate classrooms have been arranged for brothers and sisters.

Please note that this course will admit brothers and sisters who register on a first-come first-serve basis. The spaces are very limited and brothers and sisters are requested to register as soon as possible to avoid disappointments. Please do circulate this e-mail to your friends and family who may be interested.

Please visit our website for information and registration:
www.sunnicourses.com

If you have any queries, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Info@sunnicourses.com

07932 597 145

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sunnicourses
06-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Spaces are filling up, please register as soon as possible to avoid disappointments.

www.sunnicourses.com

Clover
06-15-2009, 02:50 PM
I don't believe advertisements are allowed, but I am not sure, anyways, I live in the USA, state of Tennessee, can't make it lol

Re.TiReD
06-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Wa'alaykum Salaam

JazakAllah khayr akhee, the poster is fab btw, masha'Allah! =D

May Allah (swt) bless the one who made it in abundance and also the people behind SunniCourses. Ameen

WassalamuAlaykum

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
:sl:

Ahh I wouldnt be able to make it either. I live in New York..:/
Sounds really cool tho mashallah.

:w:

doorster
06-16-2009, 01:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven

Ahh I wouldnt be able to make it either. I live in New York..:/
Sounds really cool tho mashallah.

I am sure you wont be missing much, for if you need to or want to you can learn at a REAL university near you.

These people go around a few countries in Middle East and come back with 40 ijaazats to teach any and everything conceivable over a weekend or 2. and those who attend these money making schemes return "fully fledged Muhaddiseen" ready to "teach" and issue fatwas all over the place.

czgibson
06-16-2009, 02:02 AM
Greetings,

What are people actually going to be learning on this course?

Peace

syilla
06-16-2009, 02:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Peace
you can more info here

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-16-2009, 02:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
I am sure you wont be missing much, for if you need to or want to you can learn at a REAL university near you.

These people go around a few countries in Middle East and come back with 40 ijaazats to teach any and everything conceivable over a weekend or 2. and those who attend these money making schemes return "fully fledged Muhaddiseen" ready to issue fatwas all over the place.

I dont know of any Islamic university near me...cept courses u have to register and pay for when some institutes offer it...i know of al bayyinah institute but no idea if its NY based...plus....my parents are having a hard time paying for my regular studies...so no chance for this, unless Allah wills otherwise...and a lot of times...they ask for a lot. Kinda sad when you feel limited when u wana learn about ur deen...the right way.

For example some unis have age limits...I doubt the Prophet(Saw) would have put any age limits wen it came to learnin bout the deen...n if anyone was to say it to ma face, i aint afraid to state that the Prophet(saw) would prolly have been against it. You spend ur entire life learnin, cuz Islam is so vast..

جوري
06-16-2009, 02:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
you can more info here

Excellent indeed.. I have no delusions that a weekend course won't graduate scholars and I believe that is why it is so entitled 'Introduction' to the science of hadith..

Insha'Allah, I'll take up Islamic jurisprudence at some point, but I believe like any other science it will be an ongoing life long learning experience ...

It is more prevalent than ever now, one team (orientalist/evangelists) ever active to spread alot of misinformation on the web, and two, the ever growing Muslim population that seems to either get the info from google or have much of Islam marred by culture and politics that they don't know where the line is drawn between fact and fiction...

جوري
06-16-2009, 02:24 AM
I dont know of any Islamic university near me...cept courses u have to register and pay for when some institutes offer it...i know of al bayyinah institute but no idea if its NY based...plus....my parents are having a hard time paying for my regular studies...so no chance for this, unless Allah wills otherwise...and a lot of times...they ask for a lot. Kinda sad when you feel limited when u wana learn about ur deen...the right way.

Have you thought of Muslim scholars coming to your home to tutor you or you going to class? I believe there is one lady in NY my sis was thinking of hiring her to teach my young niece on weekends, she actually comes to your home, but I believe this sister tutors young children rather than adults.. I am sure there are sisters who teach adults though ..

you can call up the big mosque on 90 something street and third ave and they'll put you in touch with the right people..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-16-2009, 02:26 AM
^^ I should try that....how much do they take?

JazakAllah Khair sis.

As for going, I dont drive and no one is willin to take me....sad u see...my mom duno her way round nd doesnt wana go out herself...bros, i dont think theyd care...they aint practisin neway...Allahu Alam.

جوري
06-16-2009, 02:46 AM
^^ I should try that....how much do they take?

JazakAllah Khair sis.

As for going, I dont drive and no one is willin to take me....sad u see...my mom duno her way round nd doesnt wana go out herself...bros, i dont think theyd care...they aint practisin neway...Allahu Alam.

:sl: I really don't know how much she takes, she is too 3afeefah to ask but she is widowed so I really have no idea how my sister works it out..

however if they give classes in the mosque you can go by yourself no? How do you usually get to school and such, does someone drive you or do you take public transport?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-16-2009, 02:52 AM
I cant go by myself...i dont drive but eventually i need to, parents cant drive me to uni forever...i dont know how to explain...i ask to be taken but i always get some excuse of some kind. Honestly it sucks. I really should learn, tired of depending on others. At least then i can drive myself to the masjid.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-16-2009, 02:56 AM
Honestly its all about transportation and someone actually willing to take the time 2 take me....my dad cant cuz he works like 15 hrs everyday...sleeps 5 hrs...takes off once or twice a month..i always know of so many events, honestly. To add to the prob, my mom thinks i should do this "later on." Basically while im under her roof, i cant do anything. I have no involvement wit the muslim community at ALL. I go to uni, come home, chores schoolwork then same thing all over again. I do the most I can from my home. Whatever i have learned, most of it, is from here or lectures. I have no proper environment, nor the feelin of iman boostage ppl get lol, other than from these 2 things.

I know theres an al bayyinah course comin up in july in NY...hardly think i can go, as usual.
Btw, I dont live in NYC. I live about 2 hrs away...

جوري
06-16-2009, 03:39 AM
perhaps if you contact the mosque they might offer something for you..
I am also aware that there are 'shuttles' around the city a free service of some sort.. you might want to look into what free goodies NY offers.. call 311 and ask

see even ikea offers a free water taxi
http://www.nywatertaxi.com/commuters/ikea/

here is another

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-133595693.html

I know my mom and her friend often catch a free shuttle to china town for buy from the fish market.. all you really need is the drive and an inquisitive mind...
I can tell you that because though I came from a very strict family, impenetrable to ideas and suggestions.. whenever I wanted something I simply had to be completely self-sufficient and showed drive.. also made their lives easier by working out every last detail.. when they protest then you'll have to politely ask, why? is it Haram? if they can't find a haram reason and all else runs smooth then they'll have no choice then let you pursue your dreams...

brotherubaid
06-16-2009, 05:52 AM
http://www.arabic-courses.com here is the place for london peeps

sunnicourses
06-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Some very special Musalsal Hadith may also be transmitted by the Shaykh on the last day with the availability of time and Ijaza to them may be given to those who fully participate in the course insha'Allah.

Very limited spaces available and spaces are filling up!

Register Now:
http://www.sunnicourses.com/

Please note we are not taking any on-the-door registrations this year as there is a specified number of seats in each classrooms and because of the limited spacing, we are only taking a specified number of online registrations

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-16-2009, 01:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
perhaps if you contact the mosque they might offer something for you..
I am also aware that there are 'shuttles' around the city a free service of some sort.. you might want to look into what free goodies NY offers.. call 311 and ask

see even ikea offers a free water taxi
http://www.nywatertaxi.com/commuters/ikea/

here is another

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-133595693.html

I know my mom and her friend often catch a free shuttle to china town for buy from the fish market.. all you really need is the drive and an inquisitive mind...
I can tell you that because though I came from a very strict family, impenetrable to ideas and suggestions.. whenever I wanted something I simply had to be completely self-sufficient and showed drive.. also made their lives easier by working out every last detail.. when they protest then you'll have to politely ask, why? is it Haram? if they can't find a haram reason and all else runs smooth then they'll have no choice then let you pursue your dreams...

I've argued, nicely, with her...but to no avail...the only option I see fit is to drive. Thanks for your help tho sis, may Allah reward u. Ameen. =D

Uthman
06-16-2009, 05:01 PM
It probably isn't what you think. Check out this link: http://muttaqun.com/scienceofhadith.html

:)

czgibson
06-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
It probably isn't what you think. Check out this link: http://muttaqun.com/scienceofhadith.html

:)
That's pretty much what I thought it might be.

Does anybody know why this kind of thing is referred to as a science?

It looks to me like a codification of hearsay.

Peace

جوري
06-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Greetings,

That's pretty much what I thought it might be.

Does anybody know why this kind of thing is referred to as a science?

It looks to me like a codification of hearsay.

Peace
Greetings,

It is called as such since there is a process that Muslim scholars use to evaluate hadith, of articles mentioned in Br. Uthman's link..

You want it to be if you'll pardon the term puritanical about it!
Also the interpretation of hadith shouldn't be left to laymen either.. hence there is a science/methodology to it..

Jurisprudence requires schooling like everything else.. I mean even if you are gifted as an artist or a scientist, you still go to school to hone in and properly cultivate your talents.

peace

syilla
06-17-2009, 01:28 AM
Definition of Science :

Science 2

Definition: Accumulated and established knowledge, which has been systematized and formulated with reference to the discovery of general truths or the operation of general laws; knowledge classified and made available in work, life, or the search for truth; comprehensive, profound, or philosophical knowledge.

more here

czgibson
06-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Greetings,

It is called as such since there is a process that Muslim scholars use to evaluate hadith, of articles mentioned in Br. Uthman's link..

You want it to be if you'll pardon the term puritanical about it!
Also the interpretation of hadith shouldn't be left to laymen either.. hence there is a science/methodology to it..

Jurisprudence requires schooling like everything else.. I mean even if you are gifted as an artist or a scientist, you still go to school to hone in and properly cultivate your talents.

peace
I can accept there is a methodology to it, but surely it's closer to historical research than anything else?

Should we call history a science as well?

Peace

doorster
06-17-2009, 09:02 AM
if [العلم] translates to Science [علوم] to Sciences and [عالم] to scientist, then what should [علوم الحديث] uloom ul hadees be translated to but Sciences of hadees? (I am asking this because I am not Arab thus there is a chance that you know more Arabic than I can ever dream of knowing)

Greetings,

I can accept there is a methodology to it, but surely it's closer to historical research than anything else?
yes, but... see below

yes (if you want to), IMHO, because from the Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge" or "knowing" is the effort to discover, and increase human understanding, (unless a particular field [**] trademarks the term for their exclusive use, we'll keep on using it)

because
The fact of knowing something; knowledge or understanding of a truth:; Knowledge gained through study or practice; mastery of a particular discipline or area; The collective discipline of study or learning acquired through the scientific method; the sum of knowledge gained from such methods ...
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/science
[**] e.g. Astronomy, Astrophysics. Biology, Biochemistry, Botany, Chemistry, Earth Science, Forestry, Genetics, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Zoology

czgibson
06-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Greetings,
if [العلم] translates to Science [علوم] to Sciences and [عالم] to scientist, then what should uloom ul hadees be translated to but Sciences of hadees? (I am asking this because I am not Arab thus there is a chance that you know more Arabic than I can ever dream of knowing)
I don't know Arabic at all, so you've got me there! :)

I think your explanation gives one good reason why it's called the science of hadith, rather than, say, the study of hadith. I think it has more to do with the Arabic language than to the actual nature of the discipline.

The definitions from wikipedia are mostly rather general, and could apply to almost any field of study. I'm sure you would agree, though, that it would be a little strange to see a poster advertising a subject-based course as "the science of philosophy", or "the science of art history", where such a phrase was simply taken to mean "philosophy" or "art history" as subjects.

The definition that is rather more specific is to do with using the scientific method. Does the science of hadith use the scientific method, would you say?

Peace

doorster
06-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Greetings,

I think your explanation gives one good reason why it's called the science of hadith, rather than, say, the study of hadith. I think it has more to do with the Arabic language than to the actual nature of the discipline.

^^(to bring an end to the argument) that will suffice for me (and is acceptable to me).

for now :peace: peace

Uthman
06-17-2009, 09:59 AM
I have only ever seen العلم tranlated as knowledge.

For example, the arabic word is used when Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said that "Seeking knowledge is an obligation on every Muslim."

However, I would say that the meaning of the words science and knowledge are inextricably linked anyway so العلم would probably be translated as science too depending on the context.

Science of hadith seems more accurate in this context than knowledge of hadith anyway if we take a broad English definition of science such as this one:
A particular discipline or branch of learning, especially one dealing with measurable or systematic principles rather than intuition or natural ability.
In fact, I would say that the science of hadith can be classified perfectly into this definition since it deals with exactly that - systematic principles.

Allah knows best. (<-- A form of the same word is used there as well for know!)

doorster
06-17-2009, 10:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
I have only ever seen العلم tranlated as knowledge.
you are correct but (same words can be and are used slightly differently depending on the context of phrase/sentence) .. see below (and (#7)

[علم] in a (nonMuslim) Dictionary is Flag and [العلم] is Science

noun
  1. science
  2. knowledge
  3. learning
  4. scholarship
  5. cognizance
  6. flag
  7. banner
  8. standard
  9. bunting
  10. bar

verb
  1. adjudicate
  2. advise
  3. inform
  4. educate
  5. instruct
  6. let know
  7. notify
  8. know
  9. mark out
  10. locate
  11. mark
  12. coach
  13. tick
  14. post
  15. profess
  16. cognize
  17. apprise
  18. advertise
  19. tell
  20. teach
  21. read
  22. school
  23. indoctrinate
  24. drill
  25. apprize

Please note that I go by dictionaries/books because my first language is Urdu NOT Arabic (or its distortions/dialects)

wasalam

doorster
06-17-2009, 11:09 AM

These people go around a few countries in Middle East and come back with 40 ijaazats to teach any and everything conceivable over a weekend or 2. and those who attend these money making schemes return "fully fledged Muhaddiseen" ready to "teach" and issue fatwas all over the place.

An Introduction to the... 06-17-2009 11:57 AM Hafsah Speak good or remain silent
what is more "good" than to question the ignorant to expose ignorance? do tell me me more also look at the quote below
format_quote Originally Posted by sunnicourses
.. and Ijaza to them may be given to those who fully participate in the course insha'Allah.
you people become expert muhaddiths and have Ijaazats to teach after attending a course for 4 weekends and expect no one to question you?

edit:
hadees: Speak good or remain silent, (when abused/misused to silence critics), to me looks like the exact opposite of hadees: when you see an Evil Act: Stop It with your hand... and Quranic order of Enjoining good and forbidding evil

جوري
06-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Greetings,

Peace
if there is a science to it then yes..
I use the art of science and the science of art often, since there is some of both in each!

I guess it depends on how you define both terms..

all the best

sunnicourses
06-23-2009, 01:32 PM
There is less than 2 weeks left now, if you have not yet registered please do so as soon as possible, there are still a few spaces available.

sunnicourses
07-02-2009, 01:36 PM
There is still a few places left for brothers and sisters, please book as soon as possible if you are interested in participating in this course.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.