/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are YOU ABCD?

Beardo
06-09-2009, 10:37 PM
American Born Confused Desi? Here's a list of things to see if you're a true desi or not.

1. Everything you eat is savoured in garlic, onion and tomatoes.

2.You try and reuse gift wrappers, gift boxes, and of course aluminium foil.

3. You are always standing next to the two largest size suitcases at the Airport.

4. You arrive one or two hours late to a party - and think it's normal.

5. You peel the stamps off letters that the Postal Service missed to stamp.

6. You recycle Wedding Gifts, Birthday Gifts and Anniversary Gifts.

7. You name your children in rhythms (example, Shameem, Naeem, Nazia, Shazia etc.)

8. All your children have pet names, which sound nowhere close to their real names.

9. You take snacks anywhere it says 'No Food Allowed'

10. You talk for an hour at the front door when leaving some one's house.

11. You load up the family car with as many people as possible.

12.You use plastic to cover anything new in your house whether it's the remote control,
VCR, or new couch.

13. Your parents tell you not to care what your friends think, but they won't let you do
certain things because of what the other 'Uncles and Aunties' will think.

14. You buy and display crockery, which is never used. as it is meant for a special occasion
that never happens.

15. You as a vinyl table cloth on your kitchen table.

16. You use grocery bags to hold garbage.

17. You keep leftover food in your fridge in as many numbers of bowls as possible.

18. Your kitchen shelf is full of jars, varieties of bowls and plastic utensils (got free with purchase of other stuff)

19. You carry a stash of your own food whenever you travel (and travel means any car
ride longer than 15 minutes).

20. You own a rice cooker or a pressure cooker or both.

21. You fight over who pays the dinner bill.

22. You live with your parents and you are 40 years old. (And they prefer it that way).

23. You don't use measuring cups when cooking.

24. You never learnt how to stand in a queue.

25. You can only travel if there are 5 persons at least to see you off or receive you whether
you are travelling by bus, train or plane.

26. You only make long distance calls after 11pm

27. Your conversation is laced with, with constant references to God even while talking
about the most mundane and insignificant matters.

28. You call an older person you never met before Uncle or Auntie.

29. When your parents meet a stranger and talk for a few minutes, you discover another
distant cousin.

30. You have bed sheets on your sofas so as to keep them from getting dirty.

31. Its embarrassing if you're invited to a wedding with less than 600 people.

32. You have mastered the art of bargaining in shopping.

33. You don't engage in dialogue. You don't pay the slightest attention what the other
person is saying. You impatiently wait for them to stop speaking so you can blurt out your piece.

34. You have strong opinions on everything under the sun. But when it comes to decision making, you allow issues to reach a crisis point and panic set in before you decide to act.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Yanal
06-10-2009, 01:42 AM
This sadly does not apply to Canadians right ?

Beardo
06-10-2009, 03:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Jr
This sadly does not apply to Canadians right ?
:rollseyes No, sorry. imsad

Yanal
06-10-2009, 03:48 AM
It could though...hmmmmm the CBCD(Canadian brothers can desire)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BlissfullyJaded
06-10-2009, 06:33 AM
:sl:

LOL! I really am a confused desi, like only a few actually fit me... :X Not that I'm shocked or anything! :D

7. You name your children in rhythms (example, Shameem, Naeem, Nazia, Shazia etc.)
Either that, or they come up with names that are totally unique and a bit crazy. Okay, more than a bit. :p

13. Your parents tell you not to care what your friends think, but they won't let you do certain things because of what the other 'Uncles and Aunties' will think.
But that's justified, it's about family honor...or something... :p

23. You don't use measuring cups when cooking.
I do. :skeleton: I hate the idea of not measuring everything right. <_<

26. You only make long distance calls after 11pm
I don't think that applies much anymore...with calling cards and stuff that lower the rate anyway.

34. You have strong opinions on everything under the sun. But when it comes to decision making, you allow issues to reach a crisis point and panic set in before you decide to act.
Dang, I swear I hope I never become like that...it makes me mental just seein others doin that. :X

roohani.doctor
06-10-2009, 06:38 AM
33. You don't engage in dialogue. You don't pay the slightest attention what the other
person is saying. You impatiently wait for them to stop speaking so you can blurt out your piece.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA......

Banu_Hashim
06-10-2009, 02:08 PM
35. You open the freezer to get some ice cream and it turns out to be daal.:skeleton:

- IqRa -
06-11-2009, 09:00 AM
14. You buy and display crockery, which is never used. as it is meant for a special occasion that never happens.
28. You call an older person you never met before Uncle or Auntie
lol!

BBCD - British Born Confused Desi

Beardo
06-11-2009, 08:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
35. You open the freezer to get some ice cream and it turns out to be daal.:skeleton:
:X lol, so true.

BlissfullyJaded
06-11-2009, 08:59 PM

Omg Banu Hashim, that's bad! :X I can imagine it tho. ;D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-11-2009, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ehafiz
american born confused desi? Here's a list of things to see if you're a true desi or not.

4. You arrive one or two hours late to a party - and think it's normal.

11. You load up the family car with as many people as possible.

13. Your parents tell you not to care what your friends think, but they won't let you do
certain things because of what the other 'uncles and aunties' will think.

16. You use grocery bags to hold garbage.

17. You keep leftover food in your fridge in as many numbers of bowls as possible.

20. You own a rice cooker or a pressure cooker or both.

28. You call an older person you never met before uncle or auntie.<---totally desi!

person is saying. You impatiently wait for them to stop speaking so you can blurt out your piece. lol

lool! Thats too many!

Beardo
06-11-2009, 10:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
lool! Thats too many!
:P Do you find them in you?

Banu_Hashim
06-11-2009, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

Omg Banu Hashim, that's bad! :X I can imagine it tho. ;D
It's pretty traumatic stuff. Funny thing is, I've fallen into the trap on more than one occasion.

Snowflake
06-11-2009, 10:10 PM
lol hahaha that is so true. They are also the right size to send food to someone ;D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-12-2009, 09:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by eHafiz
:P Do you find them in you?
Yes! lol. That's why I quoted those....:skeleton:

alcurad
06-12-2009, 09:52 PM
:bump1:

Fטлку
10-03-2009, 11:19 AM
♥ You don't engage in dialogue. You don't pay the slightest attention what the other person is saying. You impatiently wait for them to stop speaking so you can blurt out your piece.
♥ You talk for an hour at the front door when leaving some one's house.
♥ You have strong opinions on everything under the sun. But when it comes to decision making, you allow issues to reach a crisis point and panic set in before you decide to act.
♥ You call an older person you never met before uncle or auntie.
♥ You can only travel if there are 5 persons at least to see you off or receive you whether
you are travelling by bus, train or plane.
♥ You own a rice cooker or a pressure cooker or both.
♥ You never learnt how to stand in a queue.
♥Your conversation is laced with, with constant references to God even while talking
about the most mundane and insignificant matters.
:omg: hahahaha

Muslim Woman
10-03-2009, 11:37 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
American Born Confused Desi?

You live with your parents and you are 40 years old. (And they prefer it that way).
That's good ...Alhamdulillah. Let them be like this forever :)

ardianto
10-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I know some Indonesian born Desis, but they are not confused. :D

Just wondering. When they speak with Indonesian they speak in well Indonesian language. However, when they speak with another Desi, they always speak English, not Urdu/Hindi. Even they speak English like British, perfect and without Pakistani/Indian accent.

Muslim Woman
10-03-2009, 03:15 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
I know some Indonesian ...they always speak English,
I read a very funny joke about Sylheti people in London about their speaking English. But I have to translate it and is this allowed here ?

//-Asif-\\
10-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Now I'm confused with the title of the thread as it refers to the list.

American Born Confused Desi is supposed to be a derogatory term to those desi's that were born in America and so they don't know much or anything at all about their own culture. They probably barely know any other language other than English, and have assimilated so much with American culture that they do not identify at all with aspects Pakistani/Indian culture etc.

What the list is referring to are actually FOB's. (Fresh off the Boat)

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
10-03-2009, 07:53 PM
does this refer to latin america desi?:omg:

Eliphaz
10-18-2009, 11:57 PM
1. Everything you eat is savoured in garlic, onion and tomatoes.
(That's why no-one talks to me!) ;D

(I hate those bowls...it's like Mission Impossible every time I open the fridge!)

28. You call an older person you never met before Uncle or Auntie.
(I thought everyone did that!) :omg:

My mum loved these. She said she would also strangle whoever wrote them. :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!