/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "Purple Breasts,"-Painful Lessons About Cancer

جوري
06-15-2009, 01:52 AM
Painful Lessons About Cancer in Play by a Victim

There was no stage, and the performers played their parts in the harsh glow of fluorescent ceiling lights. Some in the audience had beepers on their belts, others wore white coats and all looked weary after a long day of work at the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center here.
By most standards, this was not an ideal setting for theater. But for the cast of "Purple Breasts," it was the realization of a dream they shared with Daryl Lindstrom, who directed and co-wrote the play about her struggle with breast cancer. Ms. Lindstrom died last year at the age of 37.
Ms. Lindstrom wanted her play, named for the purple markings that identify the area on the breast for radiation, to be a teaching tool for making doctors, nurses and medical staff members more sensitive to their patients. Many of the 15 scenes recount the harrowing treatment and bullying attitude endured by a character named Zoe, who, in trying to cope with the disease, turned in despair from the medical establishment to an array of alternative, and often far-fetched, treatments. A Medical Audience
After more than a year of performances around the Bay Area, a staged reading at the Actors Institute in New York and a trip to the Edinburgh Arts Festival in Scotland, "Purple Breasts" finally reached a medical audience, and they reacted with rapt attention, gasps of recognition and quiet weeping.
In addition to their professional contact with cancer patients, many in the audience of 130 also had firsthand experience with the disease.
Joyce Reynolds, the manager of organizational development at the hospital, suggested staging the play there after seeing it at a local theater with her children's nanny, GiGi Edwards, whose cancer was being treated with chemotherapy. Dr. Christopher Chow, the chief physician, was told more than a dozen years ago that he was unlikely to survive lung cancer, and he said the hardest part of his illness, like Zoe's, was the loss of control.
Dr. Chow said he was particularly disturbed by a scene in which Zoe is rushed through a lung biopsy, with little regard for her fear or her pain. "That is not uncommon," Dr. Chow said. "And it contributes massively to the loss of identity and the already hopeless feeling."
Also in the audience was Dr. Bruce Baker, the chief of radiology, who recently learned that his mother had breast cancer. After the curtain calls, Dr. Baker, with an edge of desperation in his voice, insisted that the cast give him more precise information about the course of Ms. Lindstrom's disease. 'You're Playing Who You Are'
In response, Gloria Symon, a co-writer of the play and one of the actresses, told him that in 1985 Ms. Lindstrom, a drama teacher at San Jose City College, had a lumpectomy and radiation and was told that her prognosis was good. Three years later, the cancer had spread to a lung and the pelvis.
Dr. Baker blinked once and stared at the woman before him, whose eyes were glazed with tears.
"You knew her?" he asked.
"I'm her best friend," Ms. Symon replied.
"Then you're playing who you are," Dr. Baker said, almost inaudibly.
Two others in the cast, Allaire Paterson, who plays Zoe, and Susan McMahon, who plays Zoe's sister, Susan, knew Ms. Lindstrom well and wrote the original version of the play with her. Through the spring of 1989, Ms. Lindstrom directed "Purple Breasts," which at that time did not deal explicitly with dying.
Within a few months, Ms. Lindstrom was often too ill to come to the theater, and production meetings were held at her bedside. The play, always intended as a work in progress, was rewritten to account for the grim turn of her illness.
Ms. Lindstrom saw two performances that fall, and died shortly afterward. Her friends cared for her in the final stages of her illness, with Ms. Symon moving in so Ms. Lindstrom could die at home.
It was an untidy passage to death, Ms. Lindstrom's friends said, angry and chaotic, like the play. "This was not like Elisabeth Kubler-Ross," Ms. Paterson said, referring to the author who charted the stages of dying, from disbelief to acceptance. "Daryl wasn't a textbook case. There was not a lot of resolution." Spunky and Sentimental
The play is by turns spunky and sentimental.
Zoe tells a story about her prosthesis falling out at the beach, within view of a handsome man who is obviously interested in her. She picks it up and tosses it out to sea, complaining loudly about "those **** jellyfish." Then she turns to the audience. "Try explaining that to Blue Cross," Zoe says, with a smile.
Later, her husband, David, moves out, worn down by the fact that nothing he does seems to please her. "I never intended to leave for good," David says. "I just couldn't breathe anymore." He gulps, averts his eyes and admits that now he can sleep through the night and enjoy waxing his car.
In the final scene, when Zoe is dead, David recalls meeting her at a cast party, after she starred in a play. When they danced, he said, he noticed the stage glitter on her eyelashes, "bright and sparkling, like Zoe."
The members of the cast who knew Ms. Lindstrom say some performances lift their spirits and others amplify their grief. "None of this is going to bring Daryl back to us," Ms. Symon said. "But it's the best we can do. And if she knew -- if she knows -- I think it would make her happy."
Photos: A scene from "Purple Breasts," a play at the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Santa Clara, Calif., about metastatic breast cancer. The authors wanted the play to be used to sensitize doctors and nurses.; Employees watching a performance of "Purple Breasts." (Photographs by Terrence McCarthy for The New York Times)

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/12/11/us...-a-victim.html

I was touched by this article from both perspectives ...

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
alcurad
06-15-2009, 02:03 AM
ah, at first i thought you were writing a story, heh
thnx for sharing,,

جوري
06-15-2009, 02:15 AM
lol.. writing a story for health and sci? No, in fact I was searching for pathology slides for angiosarcoma of the breast, when I stumbled upon this, completely unrelated, but angiosarcoma makes breasts look purple as if by bruising and often secondary to removal of primary breast cancer and blockage of the lymphatics from node removal...

the only thing the article had in common with my search is the purple discoloration which in her case was caused by purple ink used to mark spots of radiation...I couldn't help but read it...

sometimes it is best to be detached from patients because it can weigh very heavily on your soul.. but then you become a patient often enough yourself and the whole thing can be depressing.. I think writing, sharing, teaching is not only a good outlet but also an excellent tool and a reminder that we are all subject to the human condition.

cancer strikes one in three people and women are affected most by lung, breast and colon cancer.. two of those we have screening for and can be caught early 100% curative if folks take heed..

glo
06-15-2009, 06:22 AM
A friend of mine battled with breast cancer for many years. It was first discovered after her first pregnancy 14 years ago.
She had treatment and the cancer disappeared, but returned a couple of years ago.

This time the treatment did not work and the cancer spread. She died two weeks ago in the hospice, with her husband by her side.

He is left with 3 children, aged 14, 11 and 7. My heart breaks for them all. :cry:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
06-15-2009, 06:30 AM
wow glo, that is very sad..

was she going for regular maintenance checkups, or did she neglect that once her cancer went into remission?

we had a nurse die last week, middle aged lady took infliximab for her psoriasis for the time, had a complete respiratory collapse and died later that day.. it was horrible..
she underwent an autopsy but results aren't out yet.. just seemed really odd and unlikely... but life is like that, we make plans for the future have dreams but it stops literally in a heart beat..

I am glad your friend was surrounded by her family and had children.. I think in a way that is very fulfilling.. this particular lady wasn't married or had kids, makes it all the worst to bare really.. but she had many good friends -- kind of reminds me of Eli imsad
just makes me want to cry...

glo
06-15-2009, 06:40 AM
She wasn't a very close friend, Skye, so I don't know her exact medical details.
I can't imagine that she neglected her check-ups though, because she was always frighteningly thorough and organised! :)

I suppose a positive point is that she had time to plan for the future of the children, to plan her funeral, to give her husband instructions and to pass on her knowledge and herself ... those who die suddenly don't have that privilege.

I think when she was told that the cancer had reoccurred, and this time there was nothing that could be done, she only had a few weeks left!

Yes, I remember Eli often too. It was a pleasure to have known her. :)

roohani.doctor
06-15-2009, 06:46 AM
imsad:cry:

Stories like yours Glo make me be thankful for everything I have right now and heartbroken for wut is happening all around me.

My maternal grandma passed away from breast cancer. She was only 46 years old. She left behind 6 kids, with only the oldest married at the time...It was a long time ago so I am not sure if she received the right treatment even.

Me mum tells me the whole sickness lasted for a little over 3 months. And my grandmother knew she was gonna pass away 3 days before she actually did...she kept saying "thursday is my day" and she passed away after Asr on a Thursday. SIGH. :cry:

Anyway, I was wondering, is breast cancer genetic? I've heard it runs in families but *shrug* how likely is it for it to be passed on in families?

جوري
06-15-2009, 06:49 AM
my uncle too is left wit three children about the same ages as your friend, his wife had cancer that metastasized every where by the time they'd discovered it was too late for anything but palliative therapy she was 41 or 42, but I am not sure if they knew where the primary was.. she did only ask to see her youngest on her death bed ..

I am not sure whether sudden death or the protracted form is better.. people seem to be divided.. in my humble opinion sudden death is best.. though it gives no one any resolution, at least one doesn't live their last days contemplating their funeral and how they'll go with an air of sadness, depression and anticipation etc... it is very trying for everyone.

جوري
06-15-2009, 06:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by londonfog
imsad:cry:

Stories like yours Glo make me be thankful for everything I have right now and heartbroken for wut is happening all around me.

My maternal grandma passed away from breast cancer. She was only 46 years old. She left behind 6 kids, with only the oldest married at the time...It was a long time ago so I am not sure if she received the right treatment even.

Me mum tells me the whole sickness lasted for a little over 3 months. And my grandmother knew she was gonna pass away 3 days before she actually did...she kept saying "thursday is my day" and she passed away after Asr on a Thursday. SIGH. :cry:

Anyway, I was wondering, is breast cancer genetic? I've heard it runs in families but *shrug* how likely is it for it to be passed on in families?
genetics plays a very small role less than 10% of those who get br. ca have the genes for it, breast cancer strikes 1 in 8 women, and every woman needs to go for screening at the age of forty, certainly do breast exams before that.. people who tend to have br. ca. before 40 usually have the worst prognosis unless they take very radical measures, and need to go for checkup to make sure that it doesn't re-emerge..

glo
06-15-2009, 07:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
I am not sure whether sudden death or the protracted form is better.. people seem to be divided.. in my humble opinion sudden death is best.. though it gives no one any resolution, at least one doesn't live their last days contemplating their funeral and how they'll go with an air of sadness, depression and anticipation etc... it is very trying for everyone.
Perhaps a sudden death is easier for the person dying; but for those left behind it is possibly easier to be able to spend the last weeks closely together, to finalise plans, to know your loved ones last wishes etc ...

My friend wrote to her brother (it was read out at the funeral) that living with cancer had enriched her life somehow - because as a family they had been aware of the importance of making each moment count, and they had been able to focus on the important things in life and simply ignore the unimportant ones!
That's a good lesson for most of us to remember, when we get hung up on things that - if we were to stop and think about it - really don't matter so much ...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.