/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Rights of brothers and sisters

'Abd-al Latif
06-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Rights of brothers and sisters

Praise be to Allaah.

Brothers and sisters are among the relatives with whom Islam commands us to uphold ties.

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah says: ‘I am al-Rahmaan (the Most Merciful) and this rahm (tie of kinship) has a name that is derived from My name. Whoever uphold it, I will take care of him, and whoever severs it, I will cut him off.’” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1907; Abu Dawood, 1694; classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 520).

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever would like his lifespan to be extended and his provision to be increased, let him uphold the ties of kinship.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1961; Muslim, 2557)

Among the rights that they share with other Muslims, except that their rights are stronger, are: that you should greet them with salaam when you meet them; you should accept their invitation when they invite you; you should say “Yarhamukum Allaah (may Allaah have mercy on you) if they sneeze; you should visit them if they fall sick; you should attend their funeral if they die; you should go along with them if they swear that you should do something; you should advise them sincerely if they seek your advice; you should not backbite about them in their absence; you should love for them what you love for yourself and hate for them what you hate for yourself. All of that is narrated in saheeh ahaadeeth.

Their rights also include: that you should not harm any of them in word or deed. The Prophet (saaws) said: “The Muslim is the one from whose tongue and hand the Muslims are safe.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 10; Muslim, 40). And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, in a lengthy hadeeth in which he enjoined a number of virtues, “… If you cannot do that, then leave people alone (and do not offend them), for that is an act of charity that you do for yourself.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2382; Muslim, 84).

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/14630

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
anonymous
06-20-2009, 12:54 PM
how do you uphold ties with family who insult and back bite your mother coz i want to say something, but i fear that it'll start into something huge, and cause ties to be cut.

'Abd-al Latif
06-21-2009, 03:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
how do you uphold ties with family who insult and back bite your mother coz i want to say something, but i fear that it'll start into something huge, and cause ties to be cut.
I don't know what to say. It's best to consult someone with knowledge and to tell them about the background of your situation and they should be able to help you out insha'Allah.

Tony
06-21-2009, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
as long as it doesnt go against Islam, your mum comes first, my mum and I dont even talk the history between us is enough to make u cry, but I would give all to have that relationship back, im no islamic scholar but my advice is protect your mum at all cost, if that means biting your tongue do it, if it means falling out with siblings then u still put her first. I f you are honoiring your mum then it cant be wrong

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Yanal
06-21-2009, 04:14 PM
First how close are those ties? Hold your tongue and trust Allah if no one but him can guide you. You must be able to control your patience and seize control over your tongue if you can do that Allah will reward you greatly. Because the Shytaan can make your anger come out and Shytaan can put you in a scenrio that will force you to use your Tongue as punches which will give you bad deeds from Allah because you let the Shytaan tell you what to do and you did it. My sheikh gave a khutbaah once that said " When a person thinks of doing a good deed and for whatever reason does not do it,he still gets some good deed for thinking of doing it,on the other hand if you think of a bad deed and do not do it you will NOT get any bad deeds unless you fulfill it."

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.