/* */

PDA

View Full Version : friday khutba du3a

KiWi
06-23-2009, 03:11 AM
:sl:

i was just wondering wat is the ruling on raising the hands after the friday khutba du3a?

last friday prayer i was raising my hands after the khutba du3a n saying ameen..
but one of my friend (the sheikh’s daughter) was saying that we aren’t allowed to do that cuz the Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) never did it

i asked her for evidence but she never got a chance to present it to me
i tried looking online for a hadeeth but couldn’t find any. so i was wondering if any of u guys could clear this for me

jazakumallah khair
may Allah reward u in this dunya n akhera insahllah

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al-Hanbali
06-23-2009, 04:25 AM
Wa 'alaykum salaam,

There are 3 situations regarding raising one's hands in du'aa:

1) Situation where the sharee'ah explicitly teaches us that it is from sunnah to raise our hands when making du'aa e.g. during the jumu'ah khutbah when the khateeb is making supplication for rain (istisqaa) or for rain to cease:
On the authority of Anas who said that a man entered the mosque on Friday while the Prophet was addressing the people. The man said: "O Messenger of Allah, our wealth has been destroyed and we have no transport to the market place. Supplicate for us for rain." The Prophet raised his hands and said: "O Allah, give us rain. O Allah, give us rain. O Allah, give us rain." [Reported by Bukhaaree & Muslim]
2) Situation in which it is been narrated by sharee'ah not to raise our hands in du'aa e.g. during jumu'ah khutbah for any du'aa other than for rain/rain to cease:
'Ammaarah ibn Ru'aybah saw Bishr bin Marwaan standing on the pulpit raising his hands. 'Ammaarah ibn Ru'aybah said: “May Allaah humiliate those two hands! I saw Allaah’s Messenger never did more with his hand than this…” and he raised his index finger. [Reported in Muslim]
3) Situation when there is no text or guidance on whether we should raise our hands or not; in this case the asl (premise) is that it is encouraged to raise one's hands since it is one of the etiquettes of du'aa:
The Prophet mentioned, “Allah is Shy and Most Generous. He is Shy that when a man raises his hands to Him (in Du’aa), He does not allow him to put them empty in failure.” [Reported by Ahmad, Abu Dawood and At-Tirmidhee]
And Allaah knows best!!

The above is based on Sh. 'Uthaymeen's (rahimahullaah) explanation in the shar7 of hadeeth 10 of al-arba'een an-nawawiyyah.

BlissfullyJaded
06-23-2009, 04:38 AM

^ Jazakallah khair for sharing! I didn't know about the second one...

- IqRa -
06-23-2009, 08:24 AM
last friday prayer i was raising my hands after the khutba du3a n saying ameen..
but one of my friend (the sheikh’s daughter) was saying that we aren’t allowed to do that cuz the Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) never did it
The Sheikh's daughter and this much ignorance? SubhanAllah. Ya Allah khair.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
KiWi
06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
@Saifur-Rahmaan: jazakallah khair for the info akhee
in the second situation, when the hadeeth said,
“May Allaah humiliate those two hands! I saw Allaah’s Messenger never did more with his hand than this…” and he raised his index finger. ..
wat was the "this" part? wat was it that he did with his index finger do u know?

@T.I.A: no, how can u say that she told me this out of ignorance?
she simply corrected me since she heard abt it when her brother gave a khutba the previous friday
no, i wouldnt call that out of ignorance

- IqRa -
06-23-2009, 03:54 PM
how can u say that she told me this out of ignorance?
The Prophet mentioned, “Allah is Shy and Most Generous. He is Shy that when a man raises his hands to Him (in Du’aa), He does not allow him to put them empty in failure.” [Reported by Ahmad, Abu Dawood and At-Tirmidhee]
The sheikh's daughter and she doesnt know that you should raise hands in dua?

KiWi
06-23-2009, 04:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A
The sheikh's daughter and she doesnt know that you should raise hands in dua?
u misunderstood me T.I.A.
if u read carefully, i said “raising the hands after the friday khutba du3a”
of course we raise our hands when making du3a(s)…
but im not talking abt every day kind of du3a here

Banu_Hashim
06-23-2009, 04:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saifur-Rahmaan
2) Situation in which it is been narrated by sharee'ah not to raise our hands in du'aa e.g. during jumu'ah khutbah for any du'aa other than for rain/rain to cease:
'Ammaarah ibn Ru'aybah saw Bishr bin Marwaan standing on the pulpit raising his hands. 'Ammaarah ibn Ru'aybah said: “May Allaah humiliate those two hands! I saw Allaah’s Messenger never did more with his hand than this…” and he raised his index finger. [Reported in Muslim]
And Allaah knows best!!

The above is based on Sh. 'Uthaymeen's (rahimahullaah) explanation in the shar7 of hadeeth 10 of al-arba'een an-nawawiyyah.
So, even the khateeb shouldn't raise the hands when making du'aa ??

Al-Hanbali
06-23-2009, 06:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KiWi
@Saifur-Rahmaan: jazakallah khair for the info akhee
in the second situation, when the hadeeth said,
“May Allaah humiliate those two hands! I saw Allaah’s Messenger never did more with his hand than this…” and he raised his index finger. ..
wat was the "this" part? wat was it that he did with his index finger do u know?
Wa iyyaaki...

The sahaabi, as the hadeeth states, raised his index finger. For example:

(^ the Shaykh has his index finger raised.)

format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
So, even the khateeb shouldn't raise the hands when making du'aa ??
No, the khateeb shouldn't raise his hands.... EXCEPT for when making du'aa for rain.

And Allaah knows best!

Banu_Hashim
06-23-2009, 06:23 PM
I see... Jazakallah Khair for sharing.

KiWi
06-24-2009, 03:16 AM
@Saifur-Rahmaan: oh, i see...jazakallah khair once again

brotherubaid
06-24-2009, 05:45 AM
Very Nice mashahAllah , May Alah reward u brother saifur rahman , I dont know why TIA is getting it all wrong, Bro hands shpuld not be raised , and the daleel(evidence) presented proves it so the dughter of the sheikh was right. Jazak Allah khair again akhi

- IqRa -
06-24-2009, 07:44 AM
She isn't the khateeb, so why shouldn't she raise her hands in du'a? So are you saying that the many people who raise their hands after the du'a, all around the world, in Makkah and Madina Shareef, are wrong?

brotherubaid
06-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Bro there is no evidence for the people to raise their hands for duaa, the only time people can raise hands for duaa is when the imam raises hands for duaa , like when doing qunoot an nazilah or when doing the prayer for rain , May Allah reward n bless u.

The deen , the worship n religion all revolve around the evidence and daleel , Ur daleel my brother , n may Allah bless u is that the "People in makkah n madinah raise their hands" This is not a daleel or evidence of validation of an act , When ever u speak of the religion , and specially acts of worship please give the daleel , the evidence and may Allah bless u, the evidence is ALWAYS "ALLAH SAID" n His " MESSENGER sala lahu alihi wa salam said" or if we dont find in Quran and Statements then we look in the life of the companions an dthe followers, thats where to get the religion from.These are the eviences , so dont say EVERY BODY'S DOING IT! peopel in makkah or madinah r doing it! This is not the foundation of Shariah or validation of any fatwa or act of worship.

Hands r raised when the imam raises the hands and Allah knows best , this is the statement of people of knowledge and there is evcidence to back it from The Sunnah and pious preceders.

N may Allah reward u n bless u.

- IqRa -
06-24-2009, 08:32 AM
no evidence?

what is this then?

3) Situation when there is no text or guidance on whether we should raise our hands or not; in this case the asl (premise) is that it is encouraged to raise one's hands since it is one of the etiquettes of du'aa:

'Abd al-Baari
06-24-2009, 09:13 AM

Ukht, your quote is regarding a situation in which there is no clear text or guidance from the Sunnah & Ahaadeeth. In regards to the Khutbaah it is not permissible to raise the hands during the duaa, whether you are the khateeb or in the jama'ah, unless the Khateeb is makin duaa for rain or for rain to stop.

Situation in which it is been narrated by sharee'ah not to raise our hands in du'aa e.g. during jumu'ah khutbah for any du'aa other than for rain/rain to cease:

Fatwaa of Shaykh 'Abd al-Azeez bin Baaz rahimahullah

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.