/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Weddings: Who gives who what and when?

Frijj
06-23-2009, 05:40 PM
:sl:

Islamically, I know the groom gives the bride something, known as the mahr. This I know is absolutely essential, and is agreed between the couple getting married. And I think I am right in saying it is forbidden for the bride to pay the groom anything.

However, what else does Islam require/forbid?

Is the bride's family taking some food to the groom's house, say the day after the wedding permissable?

I'm asking since there are so many little aspects that seem more related to culture, so I thought I'd like to clear my mind as to what exactly Islam permits, for future reference, Insha'Allah. :-[

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bub
07-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Any help for the brother?

S_87
07-12-2009, 10:03 PM
by wife paying groom you mean like a dowry??? if shes giving him a gift its different, but paying him to marry her-isnt that like some hindu custom? theres nothing islamic in this.

as for the food thing- its not islamically required

sarah85
07-12-2009, 10:11 PM
One can take all sorts of gifts and things as nice gestures and for 2 families to start good relations with each other but this is not islamically obligatory. Only mahr is obligatory.

When people make something an islamic tradition when it is not then this is biddah so taking food to the brides house is fine as long as u dont say this is what Islam says we must do.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.