/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic Education in the West

Beardo
06-25-2009, 03:55 PM
An Article I wrote a long time ago... I wrote a whole book on it originally, but my teacher advised me to wait until I get older and more mature before publishing. :D

-------

Islamic Education in the West
By: Hafiz Raakin Hossain & Hafiz Rashad Abdullah

“To seek sacred knowledge is an obligation on every Muslim.” (Ibn Maja)
Educations are of two types: religious and secular. Both encompass our every day livelihood, but the difference lies in the weight of importance. There are consequences for not being able to meet the standards of the Hadith mentioned above, and that consequence affects the whole community altogether. Knowledge is of such status that at the time of the Prophet’s demise, he left behind neither gold nor silver for even his close relations. Instead, he presented to us the gift of knowledge which is still being inherited by millions across the globe to this very date.
Non-Muslim countries such as Africa, Europe, and America are all examples of the extreme need for Islamic education. Being a part of a unique religion and of many races, each individual faces a certain diverse problematic situation. As parents and students, we are to combat and counter the non-Islamic education through the divine light of the Holy Qur’aan and Sunnah. Some realize the dire need while others find it counterproductive and believe that it does not serve any purpose except confusion. To understand these consequences, it is of a need to comprehend the roots of the consequences penalties which were faced by the early Muslims.

One exemplary situation was in regards to the Muslims in Spain. Some consider these religious scholars to be a form of greed for power. Regardless, these claims are all fallacies and lies. Iqbal the Poet had visited Undrus, also known as Muslim Spain. He is the perfect puzzle piece, as he was secular minded and was revered by the modernists in his days. Iqbal was not associated with the orthodox Ulema or those religiously minded. Despite that, during his stay in Muslim Spain, he saw the pitiful state which the Muslims were experiencing. For at least 700 years, the Muslims enjoyed an enlightened period. After those years, the inactivity of the Muslims and the Ulema created a downfall in the Islamic society. Gradually, the communities began to weaken to such an extent, that the non-Muslims had taken the domination. This country had thousands of Masajid and hundreds of public baths; it flourished and become the diamond of Europe. How could it be that such a kingdom under Islamic rule after many centuries had left no Muslims whatsoever, and those who were Muslim practiced their religion in secrecy. When Iqbal went back to Pakistan, he said in simple terms, “Do not criticize, abuse, or ridicule these “Moulvis”. Let them do what they are doing, and let them continue and run their Madaris and schools. If their activities come to a stop, then not only Pakistan, but other Muslim countries will be a mirror reflection of what used to be Muslim Spain.”

Another example is of a western country, whose name will not be mentioned. Nonetheless, this country had thousands of Muslims who migrated from various parts of the world. By the third generation, the Muslims were in such a condition that they had almost lost identity and religion. When asked of their religion, they would reply in terms such as: “Our grandfathers and fathers were Muslim.” At one point, the thousands of Muslims had become apostates or lost their complete faith and only acknowledged their Muslim ancestry. This happened only through the lack of Islamic knowledge. A brief history on the consequences was such that they had settled in a religiously diverse community. Jews had built their synagogues; Christians had their churches, and even the free Masons had built their Masonic Lodges. It had appeared that the only community that did not have a center were the Muslims, who were numbered in thousands. In the end, the responsible community elders held a meeting with the Muslims in regards to their center. The non-Muslims had initiated the project for the building of a Masjid to add on to their community. When the Masjid was built, the elders could not find an Imam to host them in the daily prayers. Due to the lack of interest on behalf of the Muslims, the other faiths had chosen the best voiced Muslim to lead them in their prayers. The Imam was a nightclub singer who sang at various bars. A shaykh had made a testimony of actually seeing the pictures of the Imam sitting with a guitar in his hands.

These are only a couple out of thousands of examples yet to be named. If our future generations cannot receive the proper Islamic knowledge, then similar results are awaiting our arrival.

Not all children have the opportunity to study Islamic knowledge, and most of our children attend public state schools. Even members of other faiths bewail and bemoan the state of which their children face in education and especially in morals. Based on that, imagine what a threat and scare this is to our own current community. Our children study for hours in a non-Islamic environment, setting, and input. Over that, if they do not combat these environments with at the very least, a few hours a week, then there is no question that we too will face the disunity and discord like those of our past. This is the most impressionable age, wherein our children believe what they hear and see. This is the time when their morality and character will be molded. This is a make or break age, what they learn in these adolescent years will fortunately or unfortunately reflect their future. These unwanted outcomes will not only affect later generations, but also our progeny.
A child’s first Madressa or Islamic school is not the four walls of a building, but it is the womb and lap of a mother. This requires a step on education to the womenfolk of Islam. As far as proper maktab education for our females, that is our main area of lack. How a mother behaves, even during and before pregnancy, will affect the child in her womb.

Umar al-Khattab was once approached by a man who had brought his son with him with a complaint regarding the child’s illicit behavior. He had a bad attitude and was very disrespectful. On this complain, Umar al Khattab justly asked the child if he has anything in regards to his father’s words. In return, the child asked Umar Khattab the rights a child holds over his parents. Umar said, yes indeed there are rights. And those rights are of three:
Importance of a properly chosen Mother
The child is given good name
The child receives proper education of the Qur’aan and Islamic upbringing.

In this we learn the importance of education, specifically of the Qur’aan and Sunnah. As far as education for young children is concerned, it can only be accomplished through the proper education for girls so they can carry it on to their children in their motherhood. The sisters of today are the bedrock of the society, only if they receive the proper Ta’leem. We are to put our cultural beliefs or other constraints behind, and look towards the words of true Islamic faith. Sometimes as parents, we put more emphasis on education for the males over the females. This indeed is a very sad state of affairs. In this society, if we are aware of the educational means specifically for girls, we should give our utmost support both financially and physically. Insha’Allah in this way, the chastity and dignity of our Muslimahs will be preserved. Though this might seem anti-feminine, the truth is that the females can be of a more fragile situation and and are more likely of being vulnerable. May Allah save and preserve the Iman and Ilm for the children of these sisters in Islam.

The Prophet had also ensured the education of the women by devoting one full day for women so they can seek knowledge. He said “Oh Assembly of women, give Sadaqah and spend in charity in the way of Allah as I have been shown that majority of the inhabitants of the fire of Hell will be women.” (Women will also be of majority in the gardens of heaven as well, as it is revealed.) The companions said that as soon as this was told, the women literally began flinging their jewelry onto a sheet which was laid, as they had adorned themselves on that day of Eid.
Unfortunately, we have a selfish attitude towards the work of Deen and Da’wah. As parents, we recognize the need and importance of a masjid and madressa, but how many put time and effort into work? How many spread the word and endeavor to promote such projects? We should ensure that there is a center for every community. And after the center is established, it should be sought to be active in the spreading of knowledge throughout the day. The government does not fund for such projects, money does not grow on trees or fall from the sky. Yes, it is the house of Allah, but it is also a test for us to see how far we go to preserve these establishments. These masajid run on the voluntary finances of the Muslims. We use the facilities, but how much do contribute to these efforts? Do we take time of our lives to even vacuum the blessed House of Allah? It is not only about being a part of the committee or board, but to see to it that there are weekly gatherings and lectures.

An example on this topic is Masjidul Aqsa. Those who had recently visited the blessed Masjid came back with negative feedback regarding the bathrooms and such, which are full of filth. And why is such a blessed Masjid in such a state? Due to the lack of concern, lack of interest and the lack of financial support from the attendees, this is the condition. It is said that on the night of late Ramadhan, the doors of Masjidul Aqsa were locked until Fajr.

Yet, another example is of a black woman at the time of the Prophet who used to sweep the masjid. The Prophet had noticed her absence and was told she had died. The Prophet himself went to the grave and prayed Janazah over her grave.

We should contribute financially, morally, and with our very presence. The effort is even by picking small scraps of trash surrounding the Masjid. However, we today sit on our armchairs at home and criticize the poor efforts done in our Masjid. We expect the best quality but will not dedicate any time on our own part. The role of the community leader is not to be played just by the committee but every individual, even if he offers one Salah in that Masjid. There are Masajid who hold thousands of attendees but the work and organizing are left on ten constant members. These are only humans, who at one point will also be exhausted of these continuous efforts with no support from other community members. The government has billions of dollars, but they still strive and struggle to provide education for every child. With this, how can we expect our efforts if we ourselves do not participate physically and financially? Everyone can be more productive and preserve a spiritually successful future for our generations. We do not receive free services in this world, how can we receive free rewards in the world to come? Of course not everyone can become an Aalim or religious scholar, but we can aspire to find a proper teacher and a proper Imam.
In conclusion, it is for us to heed these warnings which our pious predecessors have left for us to follow. If we ourselves do not put any effort, we cannot expect others to do so. Likewise, as community leaders, we should make it such so that other attendees can participate freely in these efforts in any way possible. Whether it be running to the city hall or picking up weeds from a construction plot, every small action will be recognized by Allah, the most Merciful. Our community relies on us, and we rely on the community.

May Allah preserve the chastity of our women. May Allah secure us from the consequences faced by those who do not concern themselves with Islamic knowledge. May Allah give us proper understanding in the areas of deen and its required effort. Aameen.

----

Feedback and critique ALWAYS appreciated.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
06-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Bumper!

ragdollcat1982
06-27-2009, 01:34 AM
I would love to see a an Islamic university established here in USA. That way Muslims would not have to travel all the way across the world in order to get an authentic Islamic education.

Zafran
06-27-2009, 01:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ragdollcat1982
I would love to see a an Islamic university established here in USA. That way Muslims would not have to travel all the way across the world in order to get an authentic Islamic education.
salaam

Zaytuna Institue is going big - although not a university it seems preety good. Its going to be the first Islamic college in america.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
06-27-2009, 01:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
salaam

Zaytuna Institue is going big - although not a university it seems preety good. Its going to be the first Islamic college in america.
Definitely. It's next to the Nation's best public university as well. Which is why you will see MANY smart students going there.

You know, it just did occur to me that US doesn't have any established universities.

ragdollcat1982
06-27-2009, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by eHafiz
You know, it just did occur to me that US doesn't have any established universities.

I dont understand why it does not. There are about 5 million Muslims in USA.

believeByHEART.
06-27-2009, 10:00 PM
its a real shame there isnt as it could give many others oppurtunities to be aware of the existence it has in the society and would be a real help for people living in America.

i for one would love an islamic university here in the UK,

i suppose i can dream on the way things are going..

Muaz bin Jabal
06-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Assalamu Aleykum,

There are Madaaris that teach according to the Classical curriculum.

Darul Uloom al-Madania (Buffalo, NY)
www.madania.org

IIE (Chicago)
www.iieonline.org

Zafran
06-29-2009, 09:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by eHafiz
Definitely. It's next to the Nation's best public university as well. Which is why you will see MANY smart students going there.

salaam

Yeah but hopefully people will create one in the US.

Beardo
07-06-2009, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
salaam

Yeah but hopefully people will create one in the US.
Won't be anytime soon at this rate. Hate to be the pessimist, but it's the truth. We barely have our elementaries running. The only properly established "school" is in Chicago.

Detritavore
08-03-2009, 08:42 AM
:sl: Brother.

Before I comment on your article I'd like to say, of the record, I'm really not at liberty to do so. Apart from the sporadic article I may write here and there and my high school's mandatory Literature course, I am not much of an authority on journalism. Most of what is to follow is purely opinion. Therefore, pardon me.

OK...

Firstly- mash'Allah you write well!

I think, however, this article is too dense. It has so much to say but not enough time, so to speak, to convey the full beauty of each message. As a reader I felt I hadn't quit grasped and appreciated the history of Islamic education, when suddenly presented with the importance of educating women, two completely different subject matters both deserving much contemplation.

Insh'Allah, to overcome this problem, seriously invest in writing a book and give each topic the time and space it needs to be discussed.

There were a couple of petty (little) mistakes I found also i.e. Europe, Africa & America aren't countries (opening paragraph) but with editing and fine combing these can be easily fixed. Overall this article was well researched and very enlightening, mashAllah!

Do you write for a specific publication by the way? I'm interested to read more.

:wa:

Samiira
08-09-2009, 05:50 PM
It would be very nice to have islamic university in North Europe. InshaAllah it will happend one day

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.