/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Brother eHafiz - a request (?)

- IqRa -
06-26-2009, 12:12 PM
It is really blessed that there is a hafiz on this forum. I was thinking, brother, if you could share your experiences when you were carrying out hifz, how hard it was, what difficulties you encountered, what parts were easy, how long did it take you, what motivated you, and anything else you want to share.

Also if there are any other hafiz's (?) on this forum, please could you also share.

Jazakallah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danah
06-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah that will be very nice since many of us are going on their own hifz plans and need some advices

There are a lot of hafizeen members here, inshaAllah this thread will be great if they can make it for exchanging experiance

My question will be:
How do you revise what you already memorized? Because this is my problem with memorizing

AabiruSabeel
06-26-2009, 12:41 PM
:sl:

Memorizing the Qur'an is surely a very noble deed.

There were a few threads on this topic here, you can go through them. Perhaps we can merge this thread with one of these:
http://www.islamicboard.com/quran/26...ing-quran.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/quran/13...ize-quran.html

- IqRa -
06-26-2009, 12:43 PM
I know some of the Qur'an by heart, and the best way I remember that is to recite it every week and every other week read it from the Qur'an.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tony
06-26-2009, 01:00 PM
sorry if this is a dumb question, I am learning. in order to learn and memorise Qur'an do we need to actually understand the recitation in arabic, or is it enough to memorise the transliteration to gain th reward for becoming Hafiz. thanks for you anticipated PATIENT responses

rpwelton
06-26-2009, 01:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TKTony
sorry if this is a dumb question, I am learning. in order to learn and memorise Qur'an do we need to actually understand the recitation in arabic, or is it enough to memorise the transliteration to gain th reward for becoming Hafiz. thanks for you anticipated PATIENT responses
Speaking as a fellow convert, I would not recommend memorizing the transliteration of the Qur'an. The reason is that you will not be able to fully grasp the sounds and intricacies of the letters if they are spelled out using the english alphabet.

I strongly encourage you to develop a strong ability to read Arabic and correctly pronounce the letters. The earlier you do it, the better. I know it's intimidating, but trust me, if you dedicate a few months to this, with the help of a good teacher you will be amazed at how much you can accomplish. I don't yet understand the Arabic (well, I know some), but I can read the words and am working on being able to recite the Qur'an properly.

I can't speak as to whether or not the reward is the same (reading Arabic vs. reading the transliteration).

Tony
06-26-2009, 01:40 PM
^^^ Thanks brother

Banu_Hashim
06-26-2009, 02:02 PM
My Question to the Huffaz: When memorising, did you do tafseer at the same time or just rogue memorisation of the entire Qur'an first ?

I ask this, because if I were to completely memorise the Qur'an (inshallah), then I would want to implement what I learn as well.

Danah
06-26-2009, 02:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
My Question to the Huffaz: When memorising, did you do tafseer at the same time or just rogue memorisation of the entire Qur'an first ?

I ask this, because if I were to completely memorise the Qur'an (inshallah), then I would want to implement what I learn as well.
I tried to read the tafseer along with I the daily part I memorize. Yes it will take longer time, but its a good way because the ayat you memorized will be stuck more since you will know the reason behind them.

I tried that way for some parts I memorized on the past, will do them with the rest inshaAllah instead of just memorize blindly the quran

Banu_Hashim
06-26-2009, 02:14 PM
^ I see. Jazakallah Khair.

Beardo
06-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Assalamu Alaykum,

Subhanallah! I feel so honored here! :D

I actually do share MANY MANY of my experiences on my blog: DiariesofaHafiz.com.

It is a very hot topic, and it seemed like everyone is interested in it. I started last Ramadhan, the first year of me leading Taraweeh, and people loved it. So early this year, I opened the blog.

I have quite a few Hifdh stories there. If you post a comment on what exactly you want to know, I will insha'Allah answer! :D I love questions lol, especially about my Hifdh experience. Those were the best years of my life.

rpwelton
06-26-2009, 04:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by eHafiz
Assalamu Alaykum,

I actually do share MANY MANY of my experiences on my blog: DiariesofaHafiz.com.

It is a very hot topic, and it seemed like everyone is interested in it. I started last Ramadhan, the first year of me leading Taraweeh, and people loved it. So early this year, I opened the blog.

I have quite a few Hifdh stories there. If you post a comment on what exactly you want to know, I will insha'Allah answer! :D I love questions lol, especially about my Hifdh experience. Those were the best years of my life.
Do you mean you started memorizing last Ramadhan? Or that was your first time leading Taraweh?

Beardo
06-26-2009, 04:40 PM
I completed the Qur'aan March '08, and led Taraweeh the same Ramadhan. :D

I speak about all the experiences I had went through in that blog. Please do read it. I always appreciate comments and feedback. And I definitely will, Insha'Allah, answer your questions if you post it there! :D

Yanal
06-26-2009, 04:47 PM
I think the following staff members are hafiz: Brothers: eHafiz,Muhammad,zAk,Khaldun and bro Abd Al Rahmaan from the admins side. From super mods I do not know any but please correct me if I am wrong. From moderators brothers: Saifur Rahmaan,and I think bro Alpha Dude. From the new trainees I only know of one brother that is a hafiz and that is bro AabiruSabeel. Any others that I have not mentioned or am mistaken for please correct and forgive me.

Beardo
06-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Don't forget our googly goo baby, Abdul Baari. :D Masha'Allah, our youngest staff, who is now SM!

Ali_008
06-26-2009, 05:00 PM

Wow, great thread. I had once asked a Hafiz about how long it takes to compelete Hifz and when he answered 3-4 years (if you work hard and go to a madrasa), I was speechless. I didn't know that it takes so long but on the other hand, back then I also thought that if I had started 3 years ago then I'd become a Hafiz by that day. Since that day I've been looking to start but I'm such a stupid time manager that it never gets underway. This thread and brother eHafiz's blog will be really helpful for aspiring people like me. Great thread, may Allah reward you for it.

Beardo
06-26-2009, 05:10 PM
I personally took 4 years, but I believe it can be done in 2 in Madressah full-time if someone is really serious. I personally was young, but that's not an excuse. Anyone who is serious, should take 2 years if full-time.

You might find a lot of your answered questions on the blog, as a lot of people have asked... Even some interested mothers!

Yanal
06-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Is bro Abd Al Baari really a hafiz?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-26-2009, 09:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
I think the following staff members are hafiz: Brothers: eHafiz,Muhammad,zAk,Khaldun and bro Abd Al Rahmaan from the admins side.
I'm not a Hafidh..not yet anyway. Make dua'!

ژاله
07-02-2009, 04:01 PM
I think my hifz experiences wont make much sense if I don’t tell the whole scenario,so to convey the full meaning(ie what I actually mean),I will tell the whole history and you will have to bear a long post.:D lol
As for my experience, the motivation was not quite right initially, but Alhamdulillah it became more meaningful with time. I first started thinking about hifz when i was around 8,mainly because my bro(two years younger than me) had joined a madrasah where he was to do hifz(my mother was very eager to make him a hafiz),and he had become a celebrity in the family...As i competed with him in everything fiercely,loved to dominate him and could not bear the thought that he is doing something that i am not doing,i asked my parents that i wanted to do do hifz too...they werent convinced because they believed that women should better not do hifz,because there was always a great fear of them forgetting the quran when in their practical life they become too overwhelmed with their responsibilities,houshold chores etc etc.while this debate was going on,my uncle gifted my bro an audio cassete set of Sheikh Sudais taraweeh(my uncle lived in saudi arabia),when i first listened to it, it sounded so good, so good that i literally fell in love with the way he recited the Quran. I used to listen to sheikh sudais' recordings for like 9 hours a day or so!i firmly decided that i was going to be a hafiza and was going to recite the Quran like him:D lol
my parents had not agreed yet,so i protested by refusing to go to school(i was in grade 4 then).Realizing how serious i was,they finally gave up and got me admitted in another madrasah, not as good as my bro's which was and still is the best and the greatest madrasah for hifz in Pakistan with over 150 branches and very good tajweed, the reason being that they(my bros madrasah) dont give admissions to kids with age over 5,and at an advanced age of 8 and a half i was far too old for them. I was over excited at being given the opportunity to do hifz and poured all my energy to make it possible. But there were enormous problems there, the madrasah did not have very good teachers, females taught girls and the one who taught me was not even hafiza herself. they did not have a good arabic accent, they would recite Quran more like reading urdu rather than arabic. and soon i was facing another dilemma...my bro would criticize me for every single ayah i would try to recite, saying that it ought to be recited like this and not the way i was doing, pointing out my mistakes in tajweed,in pronunciation, in everything, and teasing me with remarks like” its better not to recite Quran at all than reciting it wrong!!":raging:haha lol.after considerable thought i worked out a way to fix this problem. memorizing my "sabaq", I would listen to the recordings and would try to recite with it, would keep rewinding and listening until i thought i could pronounce the words like that and could feel a very faint tinge of that style in my recitation.Alhamdulillah, within no time, my tajweed began to improve tremendously, so did my style of reciting and Arabic accent.
and yes, The way I used to memorize the Quran was, say, I am given 10 ayahs, I would read like half an ayah or an ayah(whatever the amount was convenient),recite it like 3 times or so until i could recite it without mushaf and then move on to the next ayah. After memorizing the second ayah, I would give the first two ayahs a read and then see by reciting them without mushaf if i had retained them or not. if yes,good.i would move on to next ayah, if not, I would first learn the first two by heart and then move forward. Now i would memorize the third ayah the same way and then read all the three ayahs, read them without mushaf and go on. Memorize the fourth one, read all four of them, once with mushaf, then without it, and go on. And so on and so forth....according to my experience, it was the best way to memorize, I had ever tried, because it helped me memorize efficiently and I think it made what I memorized easy to retain…
An important and rather revolutionary change happened when I started juz 28.(the juz sequence that I followed was rather funny for some reasons, first I memorized the last 5 juz,going backwards from 3am to ha-meem,then I memorized juz 1 to 9 (forwards) and then from juz 25 to 10(backwards))…as I listened to the records, well there was something strange.surah mujadala was not in sheikh sudais’ voice, it was some other person, whose voice I found quite deep, resonant, impressive and stunning, also I found his style even more attractive, soothing, and just beyond everything. I had no idea who the imam actually was.(it was only after considerable research that I found out the imam was sheikh shuraim!!!) I asked my family, no one knew his name…no one I knew had any information about him. The problem was, I wanted to ask my uncle to send me his taraweeh set. But I had to have his name to ask him that please send me cassettes of imam so and so and sadly no one knew his name. I had asked everyone I knew questions like you know the name of the imam , he leads in kaba’ and he recites very good and his voice is very good too? No one had that vital piece of information! I had searched all the Islamic books available to me, but I couldn’t find that anywhere. To add to my frustrations, we didn’t have internet at home then (I doubt if it had arrived in Pakistan by then) and we didn’t watch TV nor listen to radio. to make it short, one day, at my grandmas house, I listened a recitation with that same voice on radio and the commentator said in the end “you were listening to sheikh Saud bin Ibrahim al shuraim….” i ran to my mom jumping excitedly, exclaiming, mom his name is this!!!. Lol.Simple afterwards, I never listen to anyone’s recitations other than him since that day, .….till today.(its been nine years).i think there was hardly a day when I didn’t listen to his recitations
I completed my hifz in a year and a half by grace of Allah, at the age of 10.and Alhamdulillah I didn’t fall behind in education cuz I left school when I was in the mid of fourth grade and joined grade six after a year and a half. Actually I could have completed it in less than a year if the teachers at my old madrasah (not where my bro studied)were kind enough to let me memorize more than ten lines a day in the beginning. But they didn’t, I memorized 14juz in like a year, and then my bros madrasah had accepted me, because according to them I had memorized it very quickly. They were nice. They let me memorize as much as I wanted and Alhamdulillah within 5 months, I had memorized the remaining 16 juz.
When I was a kid and I dint know Arabic, I admired Quran for its beauty only ,for the flow it has, for the way it sounds and how lovely it felt to recite it, it was only much later, when I learned Arabic(mainly because I found it a very attractive and sweet language too), that I was able to appreciate the wisdom that’s there, and still later when I read Harun Yahyas books like miracles of Quran etc, that I came to know how scientific and accurate it was. that was the first time when I found scientific proofs to the fact that Allah exists, He is the creator and Quran is his word)
It was indeed by Allah’s utmost mercy and blessing that I was able to do hifz. I am very grateful to him that he had blessed me with amazing memory (which sadly, I don’t have anymore).he had made it so easy for me that I could easily memorize fourth of a juz in like 30 minutes or so. I never studied at home when I was doing hifz, I was always able to memorize what I was supposed to in madrasah. And what bro ehafiz said,holds true for me as well. Those were indeed the best years of my life; I have never done anything in my life with so much passion and zeal as I did hifz. i never felt I was doing any kind of hard work or anything. i enjoyed it more than everything else, may be it was like or even more enjoyable than a favorite sport, or an interesting hobby. All was because of Allah’s help and bounty. And yes, an important thing that I forgot was that I used to read what I was supposed to memorize the next day 10 times beforehand, so it would become very easy the next day. I followed that routine for the whole period. (my mom suggested me to do this,jazahallah khair!)…thanks to these records, I became a star pupil in my madrasah.(same as my bro’s)and afterwards I got my school education from there as well, till grade 10(they have a huffaz school, where you have hifz’s period as well),I always stood first out of 500 girls or so and was awarded best hafizah certificate every year. Alhamdulillah:)…teachers and heads etc who came to examine us from different branches said I recited the best,had excellent tajweed and arabic accent and had stronger grip than all the students in various branches of madrasah. so much that I had become famous over all the 150 or so branches and they still remember me, though I am in uni now,left school 4 years back.they (teachers)refer to me talking to my younger sibs who still study there.
As to answer the questions like how much time hifz takes, well it differs from person to person.i took one and a half ,all my sibs(2 bros and a sis)took 3 years roughly. and I know of a girl who studied in a branch of my madrasa in northern areas who had taken just 9 months to complete her hifz, at the age of six!!
but duration doesn’t matter I think. i believe as long as one is passionate about something, theres no need to worry, passion is the greatest guide and the best companion.
Out of that longest ever post of mine,I think whats important for prospective huffaz and people who are doing hifz is 4 things.
1. Listen to imams of haramain records
2. read your sabaq for the next day 10 times
3. be passionate
4. try to adopt that way of memorizing Quran
Good luck to all who are trying to do hifz:thumbs_up, may Allah help them memorize as he helped me and may he help us all to retain what we memorize. if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask, I will be very happy to answer:happy:
:w:

Ali_008
07-03-2009, 03:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaak
I think my hifz experiences wont make much sense if I don’t tell the whole scenario,so to convey the full meaning(ie what I actually mean),I will tell the whole history and you will have to bear a long post.:D lol
As for my experience, the motivation was not quite right initially, but Alhamdulillah it became more meaningful with time. I first started thinking about hifz when i was around 8,mainly because my bro(two years younger than me) had joined a madrasah where he was to do hifz(my mother was very eager to make him a hafiz),and he had become a celebrity in the family...As
Mashallah, may Allah reward you immensely for this post. It actually did clear a lot of doubts I had but a doubt still remains in my mind. I'm in college and almost 8 hours of my day are spent there and so I was thinking whether I'll be able to complete it. I know, InshAllah that I can complete Hifz but I wonder how long it'll take at that pace. I was told 3 years (if full time) and so with my schedule it may take, who knows, 5-6 years.

And I also don't want to get in to Ar-Riya (the minor shirk) because whenever I think about memorizing the Qur'an, the thoughts of the fame and respect that one gets for doing it comes to my head and I get really scared about what my intentions actually are. And recently, I found this hadeeth that turned me upside-down. I was shattered and smashed after reading it. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Most of the hypocrites of my ummah are among those who have memorized Qur'an.”

I keep asking the Hafiz who lives nearby a lot of questions about Hifz but I am not actually starting it. imsad Make dua for me for pure intentions and guidance and super memory.:exhausted

ژاله
07-03-2009, 04:34 AM
Mashallah, may Allah reward you immensely for this post. It actually did clear a lot of doubts I had but a doubt still remains in my mind. I'm in college and almost 8 hours of my day are spent there and so I was thinking whether I'll be able to complete it. I know, InshAllah that I can complete Hifz but I wonder how long it'll take at that pace. I was told 3 years (if full time) and so with my schedule it may take, who knows, 5-6 years.
jazakallah khair bro...bro dont worry if you will be able to complete it,no one can complete hifz (or any thing basically) if Allah's help and mercy are not there.so keep praying and keep on memorizing regularly,if only 3 ayahs a day.i am sure you will be inshallah able to complete it soon if you are consistent(regular) and keep praying.and does it matter if you take even 5 or 6 years?so what? it will only increase hasanat in your balance...and there is no pressure on you to complete it by a certain time.(you are already studying,you are not in a situation that you have to resume your education after hifz...)so dont worry about that,start now, and inshallah Allah will help you make it possible.:thumbs_up
And I also don't want to get in to Ar-Riya (the minor shirk) because whenever I think about memorizing the Qur'an, the thoughts of the fame and respect that one gets for doing it comes to my head and I get really scared about what my intentions actually are. And recently, I found this hadeeth that turned me upside-down. I was shattered and smashed after reading it. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Most of the hypocrites of my ummah are among those who have memorized Qur'an.”
thats whats bothering me for a long time...and i never really found out if my intentions are true and not riya,i hope they are true but what if they are not? imsad who knows?there was a time when i was so much overwhelmed with that fear that i had partially decided to quit hifz,but then went on...i really have no idea what to say to this.ths hadith is so scary seriously,:cry:may Allah protect all of us from being hypocrites,Amin

BlackMamba
07-03-2009, 05:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaak
I am very grateful to him that he had blessed me with amazing memory (which sadly, I don’t have anymore).he had made it so easy for me that I could easily memorize fourth of a juz in like 30 minutes or so.
One quarter juz in half an hour...easily!!!!!.SUBHANALLAH.

Allah has not blessed me with this type of memory, I know one kid who can memorize very fast but nothing like 8 pages in 30 minutes easily...no way.

It took me a little over 4 years to finish hifz, I took some breaks and missed some days but I finished in May of last year. In hindsight, ya I guess I could have finished quicker but at the end of the day everyone goes through their ups and downs so 4 years was about right. I led minimal taraweeh last year and hope to lead a decent amount this year inshallah.

- IqRa -
07-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Don't forget our googly goo baby, Abdul Baari. :D Masha'Allah, our youngest staff, who is now SM!
He's a HAFIDH??!?!?

- IqRa -
07-03-2009, 12:28 PM
SubhanAllah these stories are so humbling. May Allah grant all of you who have memorised the Qur'an the taufeeq to follow its teachings and grant you Jannat Ul Firdous, Ameen.

Beardo
07-03-2009, 04:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Is bro Abd Al Baari really a hafiz?
Masha'Allah, yes he is. Allah make it easy for him to retain it, as well as all of us students!

Yanal
07-04-2009, 02:22 AM
An experience of a 80+ hafiz. http://www.islamicboard.com/quran/13...mes-hafid.html

Yes I understood that at the first time. Insh'Allah all of us will become hafiz at one time...I am to start revision tommoow insh'allah.

Intisar
07-04-2009, 02:49 AM
Lol you're only a year older than him.

MashaAllaah @ all of these stories/experiences. May Allaah strengthen the memory of those in the path to the memorisation of the Quran and those who already have memorised it. Ameen.

Yanal
07-04-2009, 03:58 AM
And I am only a year younger:X

Ameen! May Allah help me to do hafiz insh'allah AMEEN! Should I start from Juzz 30?

Al-Hanbali
07-04-2009, 04:34 AM
^ :) Yh bro...start from Juz 'Amma...begin with the short suwar such as an-Naas, al-Falaq, al-Ikhlaas and so on.

BlackMamba
07-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Wow I still cannot get over that 1/4 juz in 30 minutes deal. Like the most lesson I ever did during hifz was 1/4 juz and I was literally memorizing the entire day and it still had mistakes in it. Out of the huffaz or those doing hifz, what is th most lesson you've done and in how long? Lol the story by malaak made me curious of how big lessons people take. Cuz I think 1 ruku is a good amount of lessn for an experienced (10 juz +) student of hifz, and i'd get about that much towards the end. But a quarter juz is like 5 rukus lol doing that in 30 minutes you gotta be a BEAST. But really Allah has blessed some people with fantastic memories but I am greatful with the memory Allah gave me and that he has let me have his words in my heart even though I might not feel worthy of it.

Banu_Hashim
07-04-2009, 03:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shakoor15
Wow I still cannot get over that 1/4 juz in 30 minutes deal.
Me neither:skeleton:. Wow. Mashallah. I'll be lucky if I can do one page in a day.

ژاله
07-06-2009, 04:25 AM
^lol that seems strange to even me now,;D but that happened those days

Everybody
05-24-2012, 07:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
Assalamu Alaykum,

Your blog is not working brother

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.