/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Deuteronomy 18

Shoes
06-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Following an offshoot from love_quran's thread I think it would be interesting to discuss Deuteronomy 18 more fully, so here is the chapter in full (NIV translation, with sincere apologies :p).

1 The priests, who are Levites—indeed the whole tribe of Levi—are to have no allotment or inheritance with Israel. They shall live on the offerings made to the LORD by fire, for that is their inheritance.
2 They shall have no inheritance among their brothers; the LORD is their inheritance, as he promised them.
3 This is the share due the priests from the people who sacrifice a bull or a sheep: the shoulder, the jowls and the inner parts.
4 You are to give them the firstfruits of your grain, new wine and oil, and the first wool from the shearing of your sheep,
5 for the LORD your God has chosen them and their descendants out of all your tribes to stand and minister in the LORD's name always.
6 If a Levite moves from one of your towns anywhere in Israel where he is living, and comes in all earnestness to the place the LORD will choose,
7 he may minister in the name of the LORD his God like all his fellow Levites who serve there in the presence of the LORD.
8 He is to share equally in their benefits, even though he has received money from the sale of family possessions.
9 When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there.
10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft,
11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you.
13 You must be blameless before the LORD your God.
14 The nations you will dispossess listen to those who practice sorcery or divination. But as for you, the LORD your God has not permitted you to do so.
15 The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own brothers. You must listen to him.
16 For this is what you asked of the LORD your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly when you said, "Let us not hear the voice of the LORD our God nor see this great fire anymore, or we will die."
17 The LORD said to me: "What they say is good.
18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him.
19 If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account.
20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death."
21 You may say to yourselves, "How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the LORD ?"
22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him.
In the thread mentioned above, the claim was made that the phrase "your brothers" in verses 15 and 18 refers to the Ishmaelites (as opposed to the Israelites). Yet of the 41 other times this Hebrew word "brother" is used in Deuteronomy, not once does it appear to be in reference to Ishmaelites (indeed the words "Ishmael" and "Ishmaelite" do not appear at all in Deuteronomy).

[There is a useful Hebrew lexicon here if you want to check this out for yourself.]

So my question for Muslims is: on what basis can one justify an interpretation of "your brothers" as being the Ishmaelites?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zafran
06-27-2009, 01:34 PM
18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him.
19 If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account
Very intresting indeed - sounds like man reciting the word of God. :)

'Abd-al Latif
06-27-2009, 03:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shoes
So my question for Muslims is: on what basis can one justify an interpretation of "your brothers" as being the Ishmaelites?
As I mentioned to you in my previous reply, the lineage of the Jews and Arabs goes back to Abraham because Abraham was neither a jew nor christian. Neither existed at that time as Allah says:

Abraham was not a Jew nor a Christian but he was an upright man who had surrendered (to Allah) and he was not one of the polytheists. [3:67]

In order to get to the root of who the brothers of the jews is to look at the father of the jews, and who was he? The son of Abraham, Isaac. From Isaac's offspring came Jacob from him came the Israelites.

Abraham also had another son who was known as Ishmael. From Ishmael offspring came the arabs and no one else. Thus it leaves no doubt that the brothers/brethren of the jews are the arabs because the jews and arabs go back to Abraham. Thus, Jewdaism, Christianity and Islam are known as the 'Abrahamic Religions'.

AntiKarateKid
06-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Following an offshoot from love_quran's thread I think it would be interesting to discuss Deuteronomy 18 more fully, so here is the chapter in full (NIV translation, with sincere apologies :p).

In the thread mentioned above, the claim was made that the phrase "your brothers" in verses 15 and 18 refers to the Ishmaelites (as opposed to the Israelites). Yet of the 41 other times this Hebrew word "brother" is used in Deuteronomy, not once does it appear to be in reference to Ishmaelites (indeed the words "Ishmael" and "Ishmaelite" do not appear at all in Deuteronomy).

[There is a useful Hebrew lexicon here if you want to check this out for yourself.]

There is a good thread about this before.

http://www.islamicboard.com/clarific...hren-only.html

LOOK ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please read through that to find concise responses to your claims. Our resident pastor, Graceseeker who supports your view,in my opinion, was thoroughly refuted.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Shoes
06-30-2009, 07:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
As I mentioned to you in my previous reply, the lineage of the Jews and Arabs goes back to Abraham because Abraham was neither a jew nor christian. Neither existed at that time as Allah says:

Abraham was not a Jew nor a Christian but he was an upright man who had surrendered (to Allah) and he was not one of the polytheists. [3:67]

In order to get to the root of who the brothers of the jews is to look at the father of the jews, and who was he? The son of Abraham, Isaac. From Isaac's offspring came Jacob from him came the Israelites.

Abraham also had another son who was known as Ishmael. From Ishmael offspring came the arabs and no one else. Thus it leaves no doubt that the brothers/brethren of the jews are the arabs because the jews and arabs go back to Abraham. Thus, Jewdaism, Christianity and Islam are known as the 'Abrahamic Religions'.
Thanks, 'Abd-al Latif, for your reply. I can understand how the Ishmaelites could legitimately be called brothers of the Jews, but my question is a bit more specific - how does one come to the interpretation the "your brothers" refers to the Ishmaelites in this particular case? For example, in Deut 2:4 the phrase refers to the Edomites - but this is clear as the verse itself refers to them. But the Deut 18 verse doesn't refer to any particular people who could be considered brothers of the Israelites. So what is your method leading to the conclusion that the brothers are the Ishmaelites? To me, the fact that Deuteronomy doesn't refer whatsoever to the Ishmaelites makes your interpretation difficult. But I'm happy to be refuted. :)

Salam,
Shoes

- Qatada -
06-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Shoes, the fact that it remains open means that there is a possibility that it can be Ishmaelites.

Shoes
06-30-2009, 09:26 PM
I don't have a major problem with the idea that the word 'brothers' in Hebrew could (in some made-up context) refer to the Ishmaelites, but I know of no real examples of this usage in the Hebrew writings I've come across, and there are certainly no cases in the Tanakh where such an interpretation is explicitly clear. The interpretation has to be based on the way the phrase "among your brothers" is used in the Tanakh, and in Deuteronomy in particular. The fact is that the phrase is used frequently in the Deuteronomy to denote fellow Israelites, and when it refers to other tribes this is explicitly stated (as in Deut 2).

I would consider your interpretation possible if the Ishmaelites were ever mentioned in Deuteronomy, but they're not. With all respect, I just don't think there is any contextual basis on which your interpretation can stand on.

Salam,
Shoes

YusufNoor
06-30-2009, 09:59 PM

1st off, you will find that the descendants of Abraham that were in bondage in Egypt are often referred to as Hebrews. and the brother of a Hebrew WOULD be an Hebrew, agree? so let's check some Hebrew sources to get an answer. in fact, this was a reply to a similar thread:

"A VERY SIMILAR thing happens when Christians look at the Torah and Tanakh! Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is taken as referring to Jesus, ad naseum and others will kick and scream and hold their breath insisting that there is absolutely nothing in either which prophesies Islam. It’s hard to believe, I know, but still they are like that, especially if you bring up Melchizedek!

My intent is to address this:
Quote:
Originally posted by Grace Seeker You never addressed my finally comment: Look again at the verse you quoted: "I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him." Who is referred to by the term "them"?
This is a valid question, can we use the Torah, as it is today to attempt to discover the identity of “them?” I’m pretty sure that we can, so lets’ take a look at the event which brings us to Mt.’s Sinai & Horeb. It’s called EXODUS! So, let’s look there to see if we can find any clues.

Now, I’m sure that we can all agree that the descendants of Jacob are at times referred to as the “children of Israel”, AND we know that Ishmael is Jacob’s Uncle, so in that manor, they ARE brethren. But let’s take a look at Exodus to see what we can learn there. What we find is a term from Genesis itself used to differentiate the “children of Israel” from the Egyptians, and that is the term Hebrews. The term itself is from an ancestor of Abraham, a descendant of Shem, Eber. Now, the descendants of Shem are referred to as Semites and those of Eber as Hebrews. In the 11th Chapter of Genesis we read in part” …and Shem begot Arpachshad…and Arpachshad begot Shelah…and Shelah begot Eber. So we see here that Eber is Shem’s great grandson. Reading further we read: and Eber begot Peleg…and Peleg begot Reu…and Reu begot Serug...and Serug begot Nahor…and Nahor begot Terah…and Terah begot Abram. That makes Eber Abraham’s great-great-great-great grandfather! (And Shem his great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather! Phew!)

In chapter 9 verse 26 of Genesis we read in part: Blessed be the LORD, the God of Shem; and let Canaan be his servant. One wonders why the Lord is called the God of Shem. We find an “undercover” clue in Genesis chapter 14, to wit:
17 After Abram returned from defeating Kedorlaomer and the kings allied with him, the king of Sodom came out to meet him in the Valley of Shaveh (that is, the King's Valley).
18 Then Melchizedek king of Salem [d] brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High, 19 and he blessed Abram, saying,
"Blessed be Abram by God Most High,
Creator [e] of heaven and earth.
20 And blessed be [f] God Most High,
who delivered your enemies into your hand."
Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything.

So who is this mysterious Melchizedek, priest of God Most High? First of every Christian and his brother will of course say “its Jesus, Jesus!” Why, because that’s what Christians do with the Tanakh, they try to turn everything into Jesus!

But what do the Jewish say about our mysterious high priest? Lets look at the notes for verse 18 in the Artscroll Tanach Series Bereishsis/ Genesis A New Translation with a Commentary Anthologized From Talmudic, Midrashic and Rabbinic Sources Translation and commentary by Rabbi Meir Zlotowitz with Overviews by Rabbi Nosson Scherman and a Foreword by HaGoan HaRav Mordechai Gifter, published by Mesorah Publication Ltd:

…The sages unanimously identify Malchizedek, King of Salem as Shem, son of Noah (Rashi). He was so called because he was king [melech] over a place known for its righteousness [zedek] (Ibn Ezra); a place which would not tolerate any form of injustice or abomination for an extended time period (Radak); or, according to Ramban, because he ruled over the future site of the Temple, home of the zedek, the righteous Shechinah, which was known even then to be sacred. Thus, Malchizedek might designate him as “king of the place of zedek, righteousness.”

Just below wee see a reference to Shem on 10:21, among others, which reads in part: Why should the Torah associate him (Shem) with Eber more than any other of his offspring? …Shem was the primogenitor of all the descendants of Eber from who came forth the Hebrews (Radak, Ibn Ezra)…Although Shem had may descendants, Eber’s children were the most favored of his offspring because they were righteous like him (Arbarbanel). Sforno comments that those who believed in god were called I(b)rim, after Eber their teacher. Shem, because he was also their teacher, is called the “father” of Eber’s “children” meaning his “students”, because students are called the children of their teacher. [As a side note, it is also Jewish a belief that Jacob spent 14 years engaged at the Academy of Eber in Jerusalem]
Back to the notes on 14:18: Ramban explains that Shem was the most honored among the generation of Canaanites, and he therefore became the priest of God the most high in Jerusalem…

Back to the topic at hand, is the term Hebrew used in the Exodus story? Why yes it is, in fact is used at least 9 times:
Chapter 1:15 The king of Egypt said to the Hebrew midwives, whose names were Shiphrah and Puah, 16 "When you help the Hebrew women in childbirth and observe them on the delivery stool, if it is a boy, kill him; but if it is a girl, let her live." 17 The midwives, however, feared God and did not do what the king of Egypt had told them to do; they let the boys live. 18 Then the king of Egypt summoned the midwives and asked them, "Why have you done this? Why have you let the boys live?"

19 The midwives answered Pharaoh, "Hebrew women are not like Egyptian women; they are vigorous and give birth before the midwives arrive."

2:6 She opened it and saw the baby. He was crying, and she felt sorry for him. "This is one of the Hebrew babies," she said.
7 Then his sister asked Pharaoh's daughter, "Shall I go and get one of the Hebrew women to nurse the baby for you?"

11 One day, after Moses had grown up, he went out to where his own people were and watched them at their hard labor. He saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his own people. 12 Glancing this way and that and seeing no one, he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand. 13 The next day he went out and saw two Hebrews fighting. He asked the one in the wrong, "Why are you hitting your fellow Hebrew?"

21:2 "If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything.

Now, even more phenomenally, the God of the Patriarchs transforms into none other than the God of the Hebrews! We see this at least 6 times:
Exodus 3:18
"The elders of Israel will listen to you. Then you and the elders are to go to the king of Egypt and say to him, 'The LORD, the God of the Hebrews, has met with us. Let us take a three-day journey into the desert to offer sacrifices to the LORD our God.
Exodus 5:3
Then they said, "The God of the Hebrews has met with us. Now let us take a three-day journey into the desert to offer sacrifices to the LORD our God, or he may strike us with plagues or with the sword."
Exodus 7:16
Then say to him, 'The LORD, the God of the Hebrews, has sent me to say to you: Let my people go, so that they may worship me in the desert. But until now you have not listened
Exodus 9:1
Then the LORD said to Moses, "Go to Pharaoh and say to him, 'This is what the LORD, the God of the Hebrews, says: "Let my people go, so that they may worship me."
Exodus 9:13
Then the LORD said to Moses, "Get up early in the morning, confront Pharaoh and say to him, 'This is what the LORD, the God of the Hebrews, says: Let my people go, so that they may worship me
Exodus 10:3
So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and said to him, "This is what the LORD, the God of the Hebrews, says: 'How long will you refuse to humble yourself before me? Let my people go, so that they may worship me.

So the “God of the Exodus” in fact becomes the God of the righteous descendants of Shem through his “son” Eber! Now if we apply this to Deuteronomy18: 18, we get:

17 The LORD said to me: "What they say is good. 18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among “the righteous descendants of Shem through his “son” Eber”; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him.
We now have a translation that is correct as well as accurate that CAN apply to a descendant of Eber in the form of ANY descendant of Ishmael!

Its fascinating isn't it? Now I can already hear the Christians questioning whether or not Ishmael and his descendants have any claim to the title righteous! Well, that’s part 2, Insha’ Allah!

Re: Refutation: "From among their brethren..." (A Jewish brethren only?)

:sl:

Peace be upon those who follow the guidance,

Greetings Gene,

Here's assessment of Ishmael's righteousness:

Was Ishmael righteous?

Most of us remember Ishmael in Genesis by the comment, he shall be “a wild-ass of a man” and some consider him to be somehow illegitimate.

Let us clear up these misconceptions. For sources we’ll use The Stone Edition Chumash The Torah, Haftaros and Five Megillos with A Commentary Anthologized From The Rabbinic Writings by Mesorah Publishing as well as the Artscroll Tanach Series Bereishsis/ Genesis A New Translation with a Commentary Anthologized From Talmudic, Midrashic and Rabbinic Sources Translation and commentary by Rabbi Meir Zlotowitz with Overviews by Rabbi Nosson Scherman and a Foreword by HaGoan HaRav Mordechai Gifter, published by Mesorah Publication Ltd, hereafter referred to as the Chumash or Bereishsis/ Genesis respectively.

From the Chumash we read 16:3, So Sarai, Abram’s wife, took Hagar the Egyptian, her maidservant – after 10 years of Abram’s dwelling in the Land of Canaan – and gave her to Abram her husband, to him as a wife. He consorted with Hagar and she conceived; and when she saw that she had conceived, her mistress was lowered in her esteem.

16 The Birth of Ishmael. Despite their spiritual riches and Godly assurances, Abraham and Sarah were still heartbroken at their barrenness, for without heirs they would not be able to continue the mission of Bringing God’s teaching to mankind. Recognizing that it was she who was infertile, Sarah suggested that Abraham marry her maidservant Hagar, and, if a son were born, Sarah would raise him, so that he would be considered her adopted child.

Hagar was a daughter of Pharaoh. After seeing the miracles that were brought on Sarah’s behalf when she was abducted and taken to his palace, he gave her to Hagar, saying, “Better that she be a servant in their house, than a princess in someone else’s.” So it was that Hagar, an Egyptian princess, became Abraham’s wife and bore him Ishmael.

In the notes to verse 4 – Her mistress was lowered. Hagar brazenly boasted to the ladies, “Since so many years have passed without Sarai having children, she cannot be as righteous as she seems. But I conceived immediately!” (Rashi). Now that Hagar had assured Abraham’s posterity, she no longer felt subservient to Sarah (Radak).

A few notes about Sarah and Hagar from verses 6 – 8:
Verse 6 “your maidservant is in your hand; do to her as you see fit.” To me she is a wife; and I have no right to treat her unkindly. But to you she is a servant; if she mistreats you, do what you feel is right. (Radak; Haamek Davar). Sarah’s intent was not malicious, but to force Hagar to cease from her insulting demeanor. But instead of acknowledging Sarah’s superior position, Hagar fled (Arbarbanel; Sforno).

Rabbi Aryeh Levin noted that it is congruous to believe that a woman as righteous as Sarah would persecute another human being out of personal pique. Rather, Sarah treated Hagar as she always had, but in the light of Hagar’s newly inflated self-image, she took it as persecution.

We’ll leave the issue of Hagar for the moment except to pause to list the prophecies about Ishmael AT THIS TIME:

V10 And an Angel of Hashem said to her, “I will greatly increase your offspring, and they will not be counted for abundance.”
V 11 And an Angel of Hashem said to her, “Behold, you will conceive, and give birth to a son; his name shall be Ishmael, for Hashem has heard your prayer. And he shall be a wild-ass of a man; his hand against everyone, and everyone’s hand against him; and over all his brothers shall he dwell.”
The prophecy in verse 10 sounds VERY familiar to ones about Abraham’s’ descendants, while verse 11 gives us our other prophecy. We will return to Hagar later, Insha’ Allah.

Let us return to matter relating to Israel’s uncle Ishmael. In chapter 17, Chumash, God is speaking to Abraham about their covenant and promising a son through Sarah, Abraham interrupts God:
v18 And Abraham said to God, “Oh that Ishmael might live before You!” God said, “Nonetheless, your wife Sarah will bear you a son and you shall call his name Isaac…v 20 But regarding Ishmael I have heard you; I have blessed him, will make him fruitful, and will increase him most exceedingly; he will beget twelve princes and I will make him into a great nation…”

Part of the notes for this verse read: “We see from the prophecy in this verse, that 2337 years elapsed before the Arabs, Ishmael’s descendants, became a great nation [with the rise of Islam in the 7th Century C.E.]…Throughout this period, Ishmael hoped anxiously, until the promise was fulfilled and they dominated the world. We the descendants of Isaac, for whom the fulfillment of the promises made to us is delayed due to our sins…should surely anticipate the fulfillment of God’s promises and not despair” (R’ Bachya citing R’ Chananel).

Bereishsis/ Genesis adds: R’ Bachya cites R’ Chananel’s comment on this verse: We see from this prophecy [in the year 2047 from Creation, when Abraham was ninety-nine], 2337 years elapsed before the Arabs, Ishmael’s descendants, became a great nation. [This would correspond to 624 C.E, two years after the H(ijra)!…] to be honest, I totally missed the hijra comment the first time I read this because I wasn’t a Muslim and I didn’t know what they meant by hegira! But we do have one prophecy that at least according to the Jews, puts Islam as an Old Testament prophecy!

I got lazy and copied this from the Jewish Publication Society, the first half of Genesis chapter 25:

1 And Abraham took another wife, and her name was Keturah.

2 And she bore him Zimran, and Jokshan, and Medan, and Midian, and Ishbak, and Shuah

3 And Jokshan begot Sheba, and Dedan. And the sons of Dedan were Asshurim, and Letushim, and Leummim.

4 And the sons of Midian: Ephah, and Epher, and Hanoch, and Abida, and Eldaah. All these were the children of Keturah.

5 And Abraham gave all that he had unto Isaac.

6 But unto the sons of the concubines, that Abraham had, Abraham gave gifts; and he sent them away from Isaac his son, while he yet lived, eastward, unto the east country.

7 And these are the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived, a hundred threescore and fifteen years

8 And Abraham expired, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people.

9 And Isaac and Ishmael his sons buried him in the cave of Machpelah, in the field of Ephron the son of Zohar the Hittite, which is before Mamre;

10 the field which Abraham purchased of the children of Heth; there was Abraham buried, and Sarah his wife.

11 And it came to pass after the death of Abraham, that God blessed Isaac his son; and Isaac dwelt by Beer-lahai-roi.

12 Now these are the generations of Ishmael, Abraham's son, whom Hagar the Egyptian, Sarah's handmaid, bore unto Abraham.

13 And these are the names of the sons of Ishmael, by their names, according to their generations: the first-born of Ishmael, Nebaioth; and Kedar, and Adbeel, and Mibsam,

14 and Mishma, and Dumah, and Massa;

15 Hadad, and Tema, Jetur, Naphish, and Kedem;

16 these are the sons of Ishmael, and these are their names, by their villages, and by their encampments; twelve princes according to their nations

17 And these are the years of the life of Ishmael, a hundred and thirty and seven years; and he expired and died; and was gathered unto his people.

18 And they dwelt from Havilah unto Shur that is before Egypt, as thou goest toward Asshur: over against all his brethren he did settle.

Let’s begin with the part dealing with Ishmael first. We see in verse 9 that both Isaac and Ishmael buried their Abraham, what does this tell us? Well, for one, we can confirm that there was NEVER a time during Abraham’s life when Isaac was Abraham’s firstborn, NOR was there EVER a time during Abraham’s life when Isaac was to Abraham “your son, your only son”. Those terms could ONLY be used to describe Ishmael, Abraham’s firstborn son. But we are not here to speculate who changed THAT story!

In Bereishsis/ Genesis, the notes for verse 17. Ishmael’s age is given because it assists in calculations with respect to [dating the various events which occurred during the life of] Jacob (Rashi [Yevamos 64a]) [and this is footnoted, which reads in part: 1 Rashi goes on to explain that we calculate from Ishmael’s age at his death that Jacob attended the Academy of Eber for fourteen years from the time he left his fathers’ house to the time he arrived at Laban’s house (as explained in Megillah 17a); to which we have the sub footnote: [Briefly, according to the data cited in Megillah 17a, when Jacob stood before Pharaoh he should have been 116 years old, yet Jacob himself gave his age as 130(Gen. 47:9). The discrepancy is explained by the fact that he spent fourteen years in the Academy of Eber after leaving his fathers’ house.]
According to Ramban [to this verse but cited in v12] Ishmael’s age is noted here because he repented and the age of the righteous is generally stated. Rashbam holds that it is recorded as a mark of honor for Abraham. Since the torah had mentioned Abraham’s age at Ishmael’s birth, and Ishmael’s age when he underwent circumcision. It now concludes by mentioning his lifespan. Further on we read Rashi comments that…is only mentioned in the case of righteous people [such as Ishmael, since he repented…]…
According to R’ Bachya it [the phrase “and was gathered unto his people”] is based the use in our verse of both expired and died – which refer to the death only of the righteous – and the Sages said that Ishmael repented of his evil ways.

So whatever ill will the Jews may harbor against Ishmael [that they say he had “evil” ways], he is cleared of any error and claimed by JEWISH Sages to be “of the righteous!” note the similarity in regards to Abraham in verse 8 And Abraham expired, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people. Compared to of Ishmael in verse 17 And these are the years of the life of Ishmael, a hundred and thirty and seven years; and he expired and died; and was gathered unto his people.

Also, consider that we saw in the notes to Genesis 16 “that Abraham and Sarah were still heartbroken at their barrenness, for without heirs they would not be able to continue the mission of Bringing God’s teaching to mankind. Recognizing that it was she who was infertile, Sarah suggested that Abraham marry her maidservant Hagar, and, if a son were born, Sarah would raise him, so that he would be considered her adopted child.” This tells us that it was the intent of Abraham and Sarah to raise Ishmael “so that he would be considered her adopted child!” it stands within reason but our case doesn’t rely solely on it, that in their job of “parenting” Ishmael [up until the birth of Isaac] that they would have sent him to the “Academy of Eber in Jerusalem” for proper training in the “mission of Bringing God’s teaching to mankind.” So from Ishmael's beginning and again at the end of his life we can put him in the category of the “sons” of Eber, and thus an Hebrew.

We will take another look at Hagar, just in case any see her as a reason to disqualify Ishmael as one of the “righteous.” Let’s look again at 25:1, And Abraham took another wife, and her name was Keturah.
The notes say that there is a Hebrew word in the phrase which means “again” which would literally mean: And Abraham again took a wife, which is interpreted by the Sages to intimate the Abraham remarried to before: Hagar.

Keturah is Hagar, who received this name because her deeds were as beautiful as incense [ketores]; also because she remained chaste…from the time she had separated from Abraham (Midrash; Rashi).
In 21:14 Rashi comments that Hagar reverted to the idolatry of her father’s house. How then does he now call her action “beautiful as incense?” – Rather, when she was expelled from Abraham’s household she felt forsaken even by his God and she intended to revert to her idolatrous ways. But when the miracle occurred at the well, she repented (Gur Aryeh).

The Zohar similarly comments that although she had relapsed into her ancestral idolatry, she later repented and changed her name, after which Abraham sent for and married her. From this we see that a change of name males atonement for guilt, for she made this change of name symbolic of her change of behavior.
[Immediately following this there is a note discussing some Hebrew phraseology which…denotes that Keturah was righteous and fit for Abraham.]

Although Hagar/Keturah was a first generation Egyptian and hence forbidden in marriage [see Deut.32: 9], nevertheless, since his first marriage to her was with God’s sanction, she remained permissible to him for remarriage as well. Furthermore, the Midrash [Bereishis Rabbah 60:4] specifically states that Abraham married Keturah/Hagar by Divine Command (Tur).
Targum Yonasan renders the verse: and Abraham took a wife, and her name was Keturah; she is Hagar who had been bound to him…from the beginning.

So we here additionally that if there were any ill feelings on the part of the Jews for Hagar, regardless of whether or not she is Keturah, the Jewish sources claim that not only was Hagar “permissible” for Abraham, but they actually speak quite highly of her considering the circumstances. Based on that I would reject any effort to disqualify Ishmael as a “son of Eber” based upon anything said about him or his mother, Hagar."

that shows not only that Ishmael is among "their brethren," but that ISLAM is prophesied DIRECTLY in the Torah. and Islam did indeed have a Prophet[PBUH] that :

1) Allah raised up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers
2) Allah put His words in his mouth and
3) he[Muhammad]told them everything I commanded him

looks pretty conclusive to me!

:w:

Shoes
06-30-2009, 10:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
So the “God of the Exodus” in fact becomes the God of the righteous descendants of Shem through his “son” Eber! Now if we apply this to Deuteronomy18: 18, we get:
The post seems to be arguing that "the righteous descendants of Shem through his "son" Eber" is a possible referent to the phrase "your brothers" in Hebrew. All well and good (though I must confess that I skim-read the argument so I'm not 100% on the details) - as I said before I'm willing to accept the possibility that "your brothers" could in some context refer to Ishmaelites. But the argument doesn't address the question of whether this is a plausible or even likely interpretation in the particular case of Deut 18 - it just says "now if we apply..." without any reason why we should apply it in this case.

Forgive me if I've missed where this is argued in your post, but I couldn't find it - indeed most of it seemed rather irrelevant to the discussion (especially the random bit on Melchizedek...).

Salam,
Shoes

P.S. For the record: I don't think Melchizedek is an example of Christophany (in fact, as far as I'm aware none of the Christians I know do).

AntiKarateKid
06-30-2009, 11:26 PM
SHoes, look at the link I gave you. The brethren argument has been discussed there between a pastor and a mod. Its a great discussion and this thread is futile.

Shoes
06-30-2009, 11:44 PM
That thread is a debate about whether "your brothers" could legitimately refer to the Ishmaelites, and I've made my position clear on this. But this is not the question I'm asking here. Let me phrase it differently: "your brothers" always refers to a particular people, be it a tribe within the Israelites, the Israelites as a whole, or other peoples closely related to the Israelites, such as the Edomites or (possibly) the Ishmaelites; why should we interpret the case in Deuteronomy to be the Ishmaelites rather than, say, the Israelites or the Edomites? I've made a general case based on the usage of the phrase in question why the Ishmaelites shouldn't be considered a possibility, namely that nowhere in Deuteronomy or in the Tanakh does the phrase clearly refer to the Ishmaelites.

I hope this clears up what this thread is about.

Salam,
Shoes

AntiKarateKid
06-30-2009, 11:47 PM
That thread is a debate about whether "your brothers" could legitimately refer to the Ishmaelites, and I've made my position clear on this. But this is not the question I'm asking here. Let me phrase it differently: "your brothers" always refers to a particular people, be it a tribe within the Israelites, the Israelites as a whole, or other peoples closely related to the Israelites, such as the Edomites or (possibly) the Ishmaelites; why should we interpret the case in Deuteronomy to be the Ishmaelites rather than, say, the Israelites or the Edomites? I've made a general case based on the usage of the phrase in question why the Ishmaelites shouldn't be considered a possibility, namely that nowhere in Deuteronomy or in the Tanakh does the phrase clearly refer to the Ishmaelites.

I hope this clears up what this thread is about.

Salam,
Shoes
Did you even read the other one? Try it please. :)

Shoes
06-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Yep, I did...where did I miss the argument?

Salam,
Shoes

YusufNoor
07-01-2009, 01:31 AM
The post seems to be arguing that "the righteous descendants of Shem through his "son" Eber" is a possible referent to the phrase "your brothers" in Hebrew. All well and good (though I must confess that I skim-read the argument so I'm not 100% on the details) - as I said before I'm willing to accept the possibility that "your brothers" could in some context refer to Ishmaelites. But the argument doesn't address the question of whether this is a plausible or even likely interpretation in the particular case of Deut 18 - it just says "now if we apply..." without any reason why we should apply it in this case.

Forgive me if I've missed where this is argued in your post, but I couldn't find it - indeed most of it seemed rather irrelevant to the discussion (especially the random bit on Melchizedek...).

Melichizedek is Shem. Shem and Eber had an school at Jerusalem. the righteous descendants of Shem are called Ibiru or Hebrews after Eber. Abraham sent his children to study there. Ishmael is an Hebrew.

Salam,
Shoes

P.S. For the record: I don't think Melchizedek is an example of Christophany (in fact, as far as I'm aware none of the Christians I know do).
the author of Hebrews does:

5:4 No one takes this honor upon himself; he must be called by God, just as Aaron was. 5So Christ also did not take upon himself the glory of becoming a high priest. But God said to him,
"You are my Son;
today I have become your Father. 6And he says in another place,
"You are a priest forever,
in the order of Melchizedek."

7During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. 8Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered 9and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him 10and was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek. not that Hebrews really belongs in the NT canon...
"according to Ex 32:9," "I have seen these people," the LORD said to Moses, "and they are a stiff-necked people. 10 Now leave me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them. Then I will make you into a great nation."

we are told here in Prophecy that when Allah has had His fill of "the stiff necked people" and that He ultimately will destroy them. we are also told that when He does, He will transfer the covenant to Moses descendants. who are Moses' descendants? ISHMAELITES!

you might want to read the post!

Shoes
07-01-2009, 08:20 AM
YusufNoor, forgive me, but I don't see how your post applies to the interpretation of Deut 18...where is the justification?

Salam,
Shoes

P.S. OK, Hebrews says Jesus was a high priest in the order of Melchizedek...how does this statement identify Melchizedek as Jesus? The passage is saying Melchizedek is a type (as in typology) of Christ.

Grace Seeker
07-01-2009, 04:37 PM
At present, I have just one question: How did I get drawn in this?
Greetings Gene,
I hadn't even posted in this thread till now.

gang4
07-01-2009, 09:10 PM
19 If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account.
20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death."
There are difficulties in Christian belief if a/the prophet refers to Jesus/Isa a.s.

Deut.18 "...everything I command him" and
Deut.20 "But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say..."

indicate a hierarchy in chain-of-command. If him=a prophet=Jesus then it refutes Jesus co-equal status in trinity (AstagFirullah).

Deut.20 "...But a prophet ...must be put to death."
Jesus was put to death (according to Christian beliefs) implies he spoke things he was not commanded to say or he spoke in the name of other gods (AstagFirullah)... it refutes....no details since it's just getting worse...

However, it is just so-right if a/the prophet refers to Muhammad S.a.w
Deut.18 "...everything I command him" and
Deut.20 "But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say..."

Muhammad S.a.w. is abduhu wa Rasullah implies subject to be commanded.

Deut.20 "...But a prophet ...must be put to death."
Muhammad S.a.w. died from natural caused implies he spoke things he was commanded to say and he does NOT speak in the name of other gods.

Deut.19 If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account.
"I Listen and obey. Do write me as a Muslim"

Shoes
07-01-2009, 09:23 PM
These "difficulties" aside, gang4, what do you think of the questions that I've actually raised in the thread?

Salam,
Shoes

Zafran
07-01-2009, 09:27 PM
salaam
I think Yusuf Noors posts give a good expalnaition even in his other thread which he has posted.
peace

Shoes
07-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Do you think his posts have addressed the questions I raised? I'm afraid I've yet to see an explanation of the lack of mention of the Ishmaelites in Deuteronomy.

Salam,
Shoes

Zafran
07-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Do you think his posts have addressed the questions I raised? I'm afraid I've yet to see an explanation of the lack of mention of the Ishmaelites in Deuteronomy.

Salam,
Shoes
salaam

If you read the thread he ahs posted he gives a whole explanation of how this verse applies to the Ishmealites or arabs.

To begin let’s go to Genesis and see if we discover any clues there.

Genesis 37:
25 As they sat down to eat their meal, they looked up and saw a
caravan of Ishmaelites coming from Gilead. Their camels
were loaded with spices, balm and myrrh, and they were on their
way to take them down to Egypt.
26 Judah said to his brothers, "What will we gain if we kill our
brother and cover up his blood?
27 Come, let's sell him to the Ishmaelites and not lay our
hands on him; after all, he is our brother, our own flesh and
blood." His brothers agreed.
28 So when the Midianite merchants came by, his brothers pulled
Joseph up out of the cistern and sold him for twenty shekels
of silver to the Ishmaelites, who took him to Egypt.
29 When Reuben returned to the cistern and saw that Joseph was
not there, he tore his clothes.
30 He went back to his brothers and said, "The boy isn't there!
Where can I turn now?"
31 Then they got Joseph's robe, slaughtered a goat and dipped
the robe in the blood.
32 They took the ornamented robe back to their father and said,
"We found this. Examine it to see whether it is your son's
robe."
33 He recognized it and said, "It is my son's robe! Some
ferocious animal has devoured him. Joseph has surely been
torn to pieces."
34 Then Jacob tore his clothes, put on sackcloth and mourned for
his son many days.
35 All his sons and daughters came to comfort him, but he
refused to be comforted. "No," he said, "in mourning will I
go down to the grave to my son." So his father wept for
him.
36 Meanwhile, the Midianites sold Joseph in Egypt to
Potiphar, one of Pharaoh's officials, the captain of the
guard.

Genesis 39:
1 Now Joseph had been taken down to Egypt. Potiphar, an
Egyptian who was one of Pharaoh's officials, the captain
of the guard, bought him from the Ishmaelites who had
taken him there.

Here we see that Ishmaelite and Midianite were used interchangeably, thus implying that they are one and the same. Is this done anywhere else in the Bible? Let’s take a look at Judges to see if we can find any more clues.

Judges 6:
2 Because the power of Midian was so oppressive, the Israelites
prepared shelters for themselves in mountain clefts, caves
and strongholds.

Judges 7:
8 ... Now the camp of Midian lay below him [Gideon] in the valley.
9 During that night the LORD said to Gideon, "Get up, go down
against the camp, because I am going to give it into your
hands.
10 If you are afraid to attack, go down to the camp with your
servant Purah
11 and listen to what they are saying. Afterward, you will be
encouraged to attack the camp." So he and Purah his servant
went down to the outposts of the camp.
12 The Midianites, the Amalekites and all the other eastern
peoples had settled in the valley, thick as locusts. Their
camels could no more be counted than the sand on the
seashore.

and

Judges 8:
22 The Israelites said to Gideon, "Rule over us--you, your son
and your grandson--because you have saved us out of the hand
of Midian."
23 But Gideon told them, "I will not rule over you, nor will my
son rule over you. The LORD will rule over you."
24 And he said, "I do have one request, that each of you give me
an earring from your share of the plunder." (It was the
custom of the Ishmaelites to wear gold earrings.)
25 They answered, "We'll be glad to give them." So they spread
out a garment, and each man threw a ring from his plunder
onto it.
26 The weight of the gold rings he asked for came to seventeen
hundred shekels, not counting the ornaments, the pendants
and the purple garments worn by the kings of Midian or the
chains that were on their camels' necks.

To make it easy on me, I copies the verses from this website:

http://www.********************/BibleCom/gen37-25.html

which, by the way also includes this:

Let me quote from the footnotes of the NIV Study Bible:
37:25 Ishmaelites. Also called Midianites (v. 28; see Judges 8:22,24,26) and Medanites (see NIV text note on v. 36). These various tribal groups were interrelated, since Midian and Medan, like Ishmael, were also sons of Abraham (25:2).

Here also we see the 2 mentioned in similar context. In fact many commentaries on the bible that claim that: “the term "Ishamelite" was synonymous with the term "Midianites."

http://www.carm.org/bible-difficulti...-or-midianites

Another website says:

Incidentally, the Midianites and the Ishmaelites were related. The Ishmaelites were descendents of Abraham through Hagar. And the Midianites were descendants of Abraham through Keturah.

I have seen commentary from Christian researchers that claim that the terms "Midianites" and "Ishmaelites" were interchangeable. This is partly based on the use of the two tribal names in Judges 8:22 and Judges 8:24, which indicate that the names might have been interchangeable. Perhaps the names were interchangeable because the two tribes were intermixed to the extent that either name would suffice in describing them.

http://www.aboutbibleprophecy.com/q12.htm

When we look back at an earlier post we see that both Ishmael and Midian are offspring of Abraham, Alaihe Salaam and that Hagar, according to Jewish Midrash, is actually Keturah:

Quote:
Keturah is Hagar, who received this name because her deeds were as beautiful as incense [ketores]; also because she remained chaste…from the time she had separated from Abraham (Midrash; Rashi).

In light of this information, can we place any Ishmaelites at Sinai with Moses, Alaihe Salaam? And if so, can we place them in close proximity to Moses, Alaihe Salaam?
Read the thread its preety intresting.

http://www.islamicboard.com/clarific...en-only-3.html

This is a valid question, can we use the Torah, as it is today to attempt to discover the identity of “them?” I’m pretty sure that we can, so lets’ take a look at the event which brings us to Mt.’s Sinai & Horeb. It’s called EXODUS! So, let’s look there to see if we can find any clues.

Now, I’m sure that we can all agree that the descendants of Jacob are at times referred to as the “children of Israel”, AND we know that Ishmael is Jacob’s Uncle, so in that manor, they ARE brethren. But let’s take a look at Exodus to see what we can learn there. What we find is a term from Genesis itself used to differentiate the “children of Israel” from the Egyptians, and that is the term Hebrews. The term itself is from an ancestor of Abraham, a descendant of Shem, Eber. Now, the descendants of Shem are referred to as Semites and those of Eber as Hebrews. In the 11th Chapter of Genesis we read in part” …and Shem begot Arpachshad…and Arpachshad begot Shelah…and Shelah begot Eber. So we see here that Eber is Shem’s great grandson. Reading further we read: and Eber begot Peleg…and Peleg begot Reu…and Reu begot Serug...and Serug begot Nahor…and Nahor begot Terah…and Terah begot Abram. That makes Eber Abraham’s great-great-great-great grandfather! (And Shem his great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather! Phew!)

In chapter 9 verse 26 of Genesis we read in part: Blessed be the LORD, the God of Shem; and let Canaan be his servant. One wonders why the Lord is called the God of Shem. We find an “undercover” clue in Genesis chapter 14, to wit:
17 After Abram returned from defeating Kedorlaomer and the kings allied with him, the king of Sodom came out to meet him in the Valley of Shaveh (that is, the King's Valley).
18 Then Melchizedek king of Salem [d] brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High, 19 and he blessed Abram, saying,
"Blessed be Abram by God Most High,
Creator [e] of heaven and earth.
20 And blessed be [f] God Most High,
who delivered your enemies into your hand."
Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything.

So who is this mysterious Melchizedek, priest of God Most High? First of every Christian and his brother will of course say “its Jesus, Jesus!” Why, because that’s what Christians do with the Tanakh, they try to turn everything into Jesus!

But what do the Jewish say about our mysterious high priest? Lets look at the notes for verse 18 in the Artscroll Tanach Series Bereishsis/ Genesis A New Translation with a Commentary Anthologized From Talmudic, Midrashic and Rabbinic Sources Translation and commentary by Rabbi Meir Zlotowitz with Overviews by Rabbi Nosson Scherman and a Foreword by HaGoan HaRav Mordechai Gifter, published by Mesorah Publication Ltd:

…The sages unanimously identify Malchizedek, King of Salem as Shem, son of Noah (Rashi). He was so called because he was king [melech] over a place known for its righteousness [zedek] (Ibn Ezra); a place which would not tolerate any form of injustice or abomination for an extended time period (Radak); or, according to Ramban, because he ruled over the future site of the Temple, home of the zedek, the righteous Shechinah, which was known even then to be sacred. Thus, Malchizedek might designate him as “king of the place of zedek, righteousness.”

Just below wee see a reference to Shem on 10:21, among others, which reads in part: Why should the Torah associate him (Shem) with Eber more than any other of his offspring? …Shem was the primogenitor of all the descendants of Eber from who came forth the Hebrews (Radak, Ibn Ezra)…Although Shem had may descendants, Eber’s children were the most favored of his offspring because they were righteous like him (Arbarbanel). Sforno comments that those who believed in god were called I(b)rim, after Eber their teacher. Shem, because he was also their teacher, is called the “father” of Eber’s “children” meaning his “students”, because students are called the children of their teacher. [As a side note, it is also Jewish a belief that Jacob spent 14 years engaged at the Academy of Eber in Jerusalem]
Back to the notes on 14:18: Ramban explains that Shem was the most honored among the generation of Canaanites, and he therefore became the priest of God the most high in Jerusalem…

Back to the topic at hand, is the term Hebrew used in the Exodus story? Why yes it is, in fact is used at least 9 times:
Chapter 1:15 The king of Egypt said to the Hebrew midwives, whose names were Shiphrah and Puah, 16 "When you help the Hebrew women in childbirth and observe them on the delivery stool, if it is a boy, kill him; but if it is a girl, let her live." 17 The midwives, however, feared God and did not do what the king of Egypt had told them to do; they let the boys live. 18 Then the king of Egypt summoned the midwives and asked them, "Why have you done this? Why have you let the boys live?"

19 The midwives answered Pharaoh, "Hebrew women are not like Egyptian women; they are vigorous and give birth before the midwives arrive."

2:6 She opened it and saw the baby. He was crying, and she felt sorry for him. "This is one of the Hebrew babies," she said.
7 Then his sister asked Pharaoh's daughter, "Shall I go and get one of the Hebrew women to nurse the baby for you?"

11 One day, after Moses had grown up, he went out to where his own people were and watched them at their hard labor. He saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his own people. 12 Glancing this way and that and seeing no one, he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand. 13 The next day he went out and saw two Hebrews fighting. He asked the one in the wrong, "Why are you hitting your fellow Hebrew?"

21:2 "If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything.

Now, even more phenomenally, the God of the Patriarchs transforms into none other than the God of the Hebrews! We see this at least 6 times:
Exodus 3:18
"The elders of Israel will listen to you. Then you and the elders are to go to the king of Egypt and say to him, 'The LORD, the God of the Hebrews, has met with us. Let us take a three-day journey into the desert to offer sacrifices to the LORD our God.
Exodus 5:3
Then they said, "The God of the Hebrews has met with us. Now let us take a three-day journey into the desert to offer sacrifices to the LORD our God, or he may strike us with plagues or with the sword."
Exodus 7:16
Then say to him, 'The LORD, the God of the Hebrews, has sent me to say to you: Let my people go, so that they may worship me in the desert. But until now you have not listened
Exodus 9:1
Then the LORD said to Moses, "Go to Pharaoh and say to him, 'This is what the LORD, the God of the Hebrews, says: "Let my people go, so that they may worship me."
Exodus 9:13
Then the LORD said to Moses, "Get up early in the morning, confront Pharaoh and say to him, 'This is what the LORD, the God of the Hebrews, says: Let my people go, so that they may worship me
Exodus 10:3
So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and said to him, "This is what the LORD, the God of the Hebrews, says: 'How long will you refuse to humble yourself before me? Let my people go, so that they may worship me
peace

Shoes
07-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Sorry, but the quotes you give don't refer to the passage in Deut 18 specifically at all...the book of Deuteronomy isn't even mentioned.

The first quote argues that Midianites=Ishmaelites (:thumbs_up); the second quote...well what does it argue?? Is there possibly a way to summarise the argument somehow into logical steps so that we can discuss it? I'm afraid I just can't decipher it, and the complete lack of engagement with the actual context of the prophecy (Deut 18 and preceding chapters) strikes me as bizarre.

Salam,
Shoes

YusufNoor
07-01-2009, 11:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
At present, I have just one question: How did I get drawn in this?

I hadn't even posted in this thread till now.
it was a copy of another post.

The first quote argues that Midianites=Ishmaelites (); the second quote...well what does it argue?? Is there possibly a way to summarise the argument somehow into logical steps so that we can discuss it? I'm afraid I just can't decipher it, and the complete lack of engagement with the actual context of the prophecy (Deut 18 and preceding chapters) strikes me as bizarre.
is my English so bad that you cannot decipher it, or are you playing dumb?

Zafran
07-01-2009, 11:44 PM
salaam

Yeah if you read the other thread Shoes fully it will show you the context of the debate and how the argumnet that was presented by Yusuf Noor fits.

peace

Shoes
07-01-2009, 11:51 PM
is my English so bad that you cannot decipher it, or are you playing dumb?
I'm afraid it's more that I can't follow the argument. It may well be that I'm being dumb, but I'm not trying to be! What are the logical steps of the argument? Would it be possible to summarise? Sorry to be a hassle.

Salam,
Shoes

YusufNoor
07-02-2009, 02:03 AM
I'm afraid it's more that I can't follow the argument. It may well be that I'm being dumb, but I'm not trying to be! What are the logical steps of the argument? Would it be possible to summarise? Sorry to be a hassle.

Salam,
Shoes
let me try. here's the outline:

1) Israelites and Ishmaelites are Brethren.

2) Ishmaelites are present at Mt Sinai.

3) Moses marries into the Ishmaelite family, thru Jethro/Yithro

4) God tells Moses that he will make Moses "into a great Nation" AFTER rejecting Israel

5) and if you were paying attention, God told Abraham that he would make Ishmael "into a great Nation"

6) the Prophet Muhammad, Salla Allahu Alayhee wa salaam, does fit:

I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. 19 If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account. 20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death.

and

7) he did these things in Yathrib [named after Jethro], later renamed Medinah AND he made Dawah TO THE JEWS of Yathrib! who like they did in Exodus, mostly rejected the Message.

again, regarding Melchizedek:

P.S. OK, Hebrews says Jesus was a high priest in the order of Melchizedek...how does this statement identify Melchizedek as Jesus? The passage is saying Melchizedek is a type (as in typology) of Christ

Hebrews 7
The King of Righteousness
1 For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 2 to whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all, first being translated “king of righteousness,” and then also king of Salem, meaning “king of peace,” 3 without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, remains a priest continually.

so, how many gods do you have?

gang4
07-02-2009, 05:45 PM
These "difficulties" aside, gang4, what do you think of the questions that I've actually raised in the thread?

Salam,
Shoes
If you have a flight from NY, does it matter if, for an hour, you transit in Chicago or Dallas when your final destination is LA?

"Your brethren" refers to Ishmaelites or Issac family is only a stop over to the final issue: Deut.18 indicates Isa a.s or Muhammad S.a.w as "the prophet"? and I briefed this issue....

Also, "Your brethren" is a sticky point just like "sister of Aaron (Ya Okhta Haroona)". It has more than one meaning so one may choose and refuse the other meaning. A bit like "Jesus Barabbas" who was picked by the crowd and released. "Bar" is son-of, "Abbas"=father; so was "Jesus son-of-the father" or "Jesus Barabbas" escaped the crucifixion? The meaning becomes a choice.

Shoes
07-04-2009, 10:32 AM
YusufNoor, sorry for taking so long to reply to your post - things are rather hectic here as I'm jetting off to South Africa in a few days. I'm not sure exactly how Deut 18 and surrounding context relates to the points you've made. In particular, I can't see (even if your argument up to point 5 holds) how you have got around the fact that the Ishmaelites aren't mentioned in Deuteronomy.

I really want to do your argument justice, and I still haven't had time to go over your arguments in detail, for which I apologise. Unfortunately I will be without internet access from Tuesday for about a month - so I'll print out the arguments you've made and give a detailed response when it's appropriate to do so (i.e. once it's been shown that, assuming your points are correct then this is what Deut 18 refers to).

gang4, the Israelites vs Ishmaelites is an important issue, because if the passage clearly doesn't allow Ishmaelites as a possibility then Mohammed is automatically not a contender.

Salam,
Shoes

YusufNoor
07-04-2009, 11:52 AM
YusufNoor, sorry for taking so long to reply to your post - things are rather hectic here as I'm jetting off to South Africa in a few days. I'm not sure exactly how Deut 18 and surrounding context relates to the points you've made. In particular, I can't see (even if your argument up to point 5 holds) how you have got around the fact that the Ishmaelites aren't mentioned in Deuteronomy.

YES, they are. the righteous Ishmaelites, especially Jethro/Yithro would be included in the term Hebrews.

I really want to do your argument justice, and I still haven't had time to go over your arguments in detail, for which I apologise. Unfortunately I will be without internet access from Tuesday for about a month - so I'll print out the arguments you've made and give a detailed response when it's appropriate to do so (i.e. once it's been shown that, assuming your points are correct then this is what Deut 18 refers to).

gang4, the Israelites vs Ishmaelites is an important issue, because if the passage clearly doesn't allow Ishmaelites as a possibility then Mohammed is automatically not a contender.

Salam,
Shoes
here are some of the examples of descendants of Abraham being called Hebrews in the Torah:

# Genesis 14:13
One who had escaped came and reported this to Abram the Hebrew. Now Abram was living near the great trees of Mamre the Amorite, a brother of Eshcol and Aner, all of whom were allied with Abram.
Genesis 14:12-14 (in Context) Genesis 14 (Whole Chapter)
# Genesis 39:14
she called her household servants. Look, she said to them, this Hebrew has been brought to us to make sport of us! He came in here to sleep with me, but I screamed.
Genesis 39:13-15 (in Context) Genesis 39 (Whole Chapter)
# Genesis 39:17
Then she told him this story: That Hebrew slave you brought us came to me to make sport of me.
Genesis 39:16-18 (in Context) Genesis 39 (Whole Chapter)
# Genesis 41:12
Now a young Hebrew was there with us, a servant of the captain of the guard. We told him our dreams, and he interpreted them for us, giving each man the interpretation of his dream.
Genesis 41:11-13 (in Context) Genesis 41 (Whole Chapter)
# Exodus 1:15
The king of Egypt said to the Hebrew midwives, whose names were Shiphrah and Puah,
Exodus 1:14-16 (in Context) Exodus 1 (Whole Chapter)
# Exodus 1:16
When you help the Hebrew women in childbirth and observe them on the delivery stool, if it is a boy, kill him; but if it is a girl, let her live.
Exodus 1:15-17 (in Context) Exodus 1 (Whole Chapter)
# Exodus 1:19
The midwives answered Pharaoh, Hebrew women are not like Egyptian women; they are vigorous and give birth before the midwives arrive.
Exodus 1:18-20 (in Context) Exodus 1 (Whole Chapter)
# Exodus 2:6
She opened it and saw the baby. He was crying, and she felt sorry for him. This is one of the Hebrew babies, she said.
Exodus 2:5-7 (in Context) Exodus 2 (Whole Chapter)
# Exodus 2:7
Then his sister asked Pharaoh's daughter, Shall I go and get one of the Hebrew women to nurse the baby for you?
Exodus 2:6-8 (in Context) Exodus 2 (Whole Chapter)
# Exodus 2:11
[ Moses Flees to Midian ] One day, after Moses had grown up, he went out to where his own people were and watched them at their hard labour. He saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his own people.
Exodus 2:10-12 (in Context) Exodus 2 (Whole Chapter)
# Exodus 2:13
The next day he went out and saw two Hebrews fighting. He asked the one in the wrong, Why are you hitting your fellow Hebrew?
Exodus 2:12-14 (in Context) Exodus 2 (Whole Chapter)
# Exodus 21:2
[ Hebrew Servants ] If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything.
Exodus 21:1-3 (in Context) Exodus 21 (Whole Chapter)
# Deuteronomy 15:12
[ Freeing Servants ] If a fellow Hebrew, a man or woman, sells himself to you and serves you six years, in the seventh year you must let him go free.
Deuteronomy 15:11-13 (in Context) Deuteronomy 15 (Whole Chapter)
notice especially Genesis 14:13
One who had escaped came and reported this to Abram the Hebrew. is not Ishmael the son of "Abram the Hebrew?" are not Ishmaelites then Hebrews? and are not Hebrews referred to in Exodus at least 7 or 8 times?
AND notice in Deuteronomy 15:12 that Hebrew IS mentioned!

May Allah grant you a safe trip!

Grace Seeker
07-08-2009, 04:09 AM
While all Ishmaelites would be Hebrews, not all Hebrews would be Ishmaelits. How does the mentioning of Hebrews in the above passages help us to conclude that Deuteronomy 15 is including Ishmaelites among those that it refers to with the term "brethern"?

YusufNoor
07-08-2009, 04:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
While all Ishmaelites would be Hebrews, not all Hebrews would be Ishmaelits. How does the mentioning of Hebrews in the above passages help us to conclude that Deuteronomy 15 is including Ishmaelites among those that it refers to with the term "brethern"?

it is NOT totally reliant on it's mentioning. we see Ishmaelites present with the Israelites, that is all that is required. the absence of the word Hebrews in Exodus and Deuteronomy or the exclusive use of Israelites in Exodus and Deuteronomy may have lead us to conclude otherwise, but that is not the case. God is the One that placed Ishmaelites in the prominent position that they had with Moses. perhaps you believe God erred in placing them there or that He was mistaken in choosing His words? are there other places where you feel that God made a mistake in choosing His Words and that you would have done a better job? why are you so critical of God?
while all Israelites would be Hebrews not all Hebrews would be Israelites.

Grace Seeker
07-08-2009, 02:11 PM
perhaps you believe God erred in placing them there or that He was mistaken in choosing His words? are there other places where you feel that God made a mistake in choosing His Words and that you would have done a better job? why are you so critical of God?
Not of God, nor his choice of words. Just the interpretation you infer from God's words. It's one that I don't think follows from the words themsevles and the context of those words.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.