/* */

PDA

View Full Version : question of the month.. why the big D?

جوري
06-28-2009, 08:55 PM
IgG subclass distribution of anti-Rh, anti-Kell and anti-Duffy, anti-lewis antibodies are a concern for hemolytic disease of the new born.. your question is, why do we screen for RH factor follow with Rhogam at 27~28 weeks of pregnancy and neglect those other anitgens? ..& if we follow the others when do we see them as significant or not significant?..

don't answer Q with more Q's bonus points to the one with most accurate response...

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
alcurad
06-28-2009, 09:09 PM
hard question,, or is it?

can't answer though, not my specialty :X

جوري
06-28-2009, 09:19 PM
It is a very easy question and I said not to answer my question with a question nay

? lol

It doesn't have to be your specialty.. I think you should learn about it and come teach us insha'Allah

جوري
06-30-2009, 11:45 PM
any takers? it is an easy googlable q...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AntiKarateKid
06-30-2009, 11:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
IgG subclass distribution of anti-Rh, anti-Kell and anti-Duffy, anti-lewis antibodies are a concern for hemolytic disease of the new born.. your question is, why do we screen for RH factor follow with Rhogam at 27~28 weeks of pregnancy and neglect those other anitgens? ..& if we follow the others when do we see them as significant or not significant?..

don't answer Q with more Q's bonus points to the one with most accurate response...

Because... uh.... LOOK ITS CHUCK NORRIS!!!

(steals points and uses Chuck Norris' roundhouse kick to propel him out of this thread)

Yanal
07-07-2009, 05:50 AM
what you said appears like this to me sister Skye:hjsjsjsjdjdjsjsjxjxj?

Pk_#2
07-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Skye...:wub:

Q: Can you die if your anti bodies don't do their job? I.e fight bacteria etc etc?

جوري
07-15-2009, 09:43 PM
well.. sure you can .. of course that is very expansive topic.. are we talking congenital or acquired.. within the congenital itself you have quite the variety like:

Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome where IgM levels are reduced, IgA and IgE are elevated.. IgG can be reduced or elevated..

or Bruton agammaglobulinemia Where B lymphocytes do not differentiate or mature. Without mature B lymphocytes, antibody-producing plasma cells are also absent.

you can have SCID is always a severe defect in T cell production and function, with defects in B-lymphocytes as a primary or secondary problem and, in some genetic types, in NK cell production as well.

and there are tons more of isolated subclass whether humoral immune response or cell mediated...

your body can also attack itself using your own antibodies!~

but that isn't the question I asked above :D

Muhaba
07-16-2009, 04:45 AM
don't know.

uh, is it because it is a normal thing to be RH negative or positive and not a disease. So if the mother is RH negative and the father is RH positive then the mother will produce RH antigens which will harm the baby?

But the others that you asked about are diseases/abnormaility and if one of the parents have them, then it would be obvious (that the parent has the disease). Just a guess.

جوري
07-16-2009, 03:43 PM
in fact all the above are antigens on the RBC. .. question is why do they test for the RH factor and neglect the others...

Ummu Sufyaan
07-22-2009, 03:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye

ummm i have no idea and i haven't read the rest of the thread to know if the answer has been posted or not :-[ but i wanna have a go :D

i was just about to say that maybe it has somethign to do with the immune system not being developed, but it would have a 27~28 weeks...

therefore my answer is: i am clueless...
EDIT: cos RH is a blood type that can cause harm to the baby...

جوري
07-22-2009, 04:00 AM
the answer actually was quite simple, I was surprised that no one attempted since I didn't ask for an instinctive answer and thought the world wide web would be handy?

nonetheless.. the answer is, all of them are antigens on the RBC, the Big D is so called because it is common and very immunogenic, the rest aren't as immunogenic so no one bothers screen except for anti-kell (not in screening) but in immunogenicicity but is quite rare, only a handful of cases have been reported and none caused hydrops fetalis rather required immune transfusion...

no one gets any kudos for this thread.. maybe that I am running on three hour sleep makes me disininhibited and not particularly diplomatic but I wanna give all you who have participated on this thread minus points!!!!

Ummu Sufyaan
07-22-2009, 04:04 AM
^lol ummm maybe people would get it right if you spoke English :exhausted

Sahabiyaat
07-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Skye trying to prove the rest of us are dumb :cry:

جوري
07-22-2009, 04:26 AM
Allah yism7ik.. how could you say that? it wasn't my intention at all..
I post the q of month on occasion to spark interest in science that isn't commonly known to most.. and everyone is always free to google an answer.. that is how I have done them in the past...

I think I'll just quit ...

Muhaba
07-22-2009, 04:27 AM
minus points? we should get + points for trying.

جوري
07-22-2009, 04:28 AM
^^ that is the general idea.. positive reps are given for a correct answer..

جوري
07-22-2009, 04:29 AM
as it was carried out on my previous threads--
example:

http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...stion-day.html

Ummu Sufyaan
07-22-2009, 04:32 AM
:sl:
ahhh googling answers, you should've said lol

u can keep posting questions then :p

جوري
07-22-2009, 04:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
:sl:
ahhh googling answers, you should've said lol

u can keep posting questions then :p
but I did say you could

here:
http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...ml#post1178708

yalla I am off to bed insha'Allah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.