/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Using Profanity

SmoothHijabi♥
06-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Asalamu Alaikum all

I pray everyone is doing well!

I have a quick question, what are the effects of using Profanity or even hearing? I know they are bad, I just cant seem to find anything on it. Im probably not using the right resources, but can anyone help me?

Shukran:D

Kiyya

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
06-28-2009, 09:43 PM
:sl:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to restrain his tongue, so we should follow his example, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Indeed in the Messenger of Allaah (Muhammad) you have a good example to follow”

[al-Ahzaab 33:21]

I'm not sure as to what you mean by what effects profainity has?

:w:

Beardo
06-28-2009, 09:47 PM
If you keep cussing, it'll obviously become a habit. And it sets a bad example on you.

As Abdul Baari quoted above, it's not the example WE were set to follow. Alhamdulillah, Allah has given us all a tongue, which is a humungous bounty! Imagine not being able to speak! Subhanallah. And with that blessed tongue, you choose to cuss? Is that grateful? I mean, you give someone a priceless gift, and they throw it down the sewer... How would you feel?

There's a cool example... We sometimes say "just a little bit". I only say this specific bad word when i am REALLY mad, very few. Well, how about a bit of dog poop in your brownie? Or some urine in your lemonade? Not too much, just a few drops. :D

Our body has a right upon us. Our brain has a right upon is. If we submit these profanity, then it will definitely affect our memory. If you are in a cooler, would you not feel cold? Most definitely!

Hope that made sense. :skeleton:

Yanal
06-28-2009, 11:18 PM
:salamext:
Prophet Muhammad(SAWS) said "Abusing a Muslim is a sin and fighting with him is a disbelief".(MUSLIM)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
06-29-2009, 01:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
:salamext:
Prophet Muhammad(SAWS) said "Abusing a Muslim is a sin and fighting with him is a disbelief".

Could you give a reference to that please? Disbelief is a big word... I think fighting is considered not talking to your brother for 3 + days...

Hayaa
06-29-2009, 02:48 AM
Here's a nice email forward I received; it doesn't have a reference but I think it's pretty legit because I've read something similar before.

3) Four things that dry the face & take away its happiness:

a) Lying
b) Being disrespectful / impudent (insisting on something wrong knowingly)
(I think profanity would fit in being disrespectful, right?)
c) Arguing without adequate knowledge & Information.
d) Excessive immorality (doing something wrong without fear).

4) Four things that increases the wetness of face & its happiness:

a) Piety
b) Loyalty
c) Generosity and being kind. Pay your Zakat (2.50% on net income)
d) To be helpful to others without he/she asking for that.

and regarding not speaking to your brother/sister in Islam, 3 days is the max.

Abu Huraira r.a. reported that Rasulullah s.a.w. said : It is not lawful for a believer to forsake a believer beyond three days, and whosoever does so more than three days and then dies, shall enter the Hell. ( Abu Dawud )

Another hadith:

Abu Khirash Hadard bin Abi Hadard Aslami r.a. reported that he heard Rasulullah s.a.w as saying : Whoever forsakes his brother for a year is like one who sheds his blood. ( Abu Dawud )

Please correct me if I've said something wrong.

Yanal
06-29-2009, 03:35 AM

N swearing will become a habit once you start,my friend never sweared before but started and now is addicted,I asked him to stop but if he doesn't I will not talk to him.Swearing is a habit like when you get addicted to LI you keep on coming so vice versa with swearing you get addicted to much.

Ali_008
06-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) warned us a lot about the evil of the tongue and so we have to have great control over what we say and especially something which would offend others and so profanity is so dangerous that it can lead a person straight to hell though he might have mountains of good deeds. Imam Bukhari (may Allah be pleased with him) reported this Hadeeth in Adab-al-Mufrad:

Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam was asked "such and such woman spends her night in prayer, fasts during the day and so on, and she gives charity, but she offends her neighbours with her sharp tongue." Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said :

"Her good deeds will be of no avail; she is among the people of hell."

They said "so and so prays only the obligatory prayers, gives charity in the form of left-over curds, but does not offend anyone." Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said "She is among the people of Paradise."

The Hadeeth basically talks about the rights of the neighbour but also gives the ill effects of not controlling the tongue. According to another Hadeeth, Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said:

"Who protects his tongue from unlawful utterances and his private parts from illegal sexual intercourse, I shall guarantee him entrance into Paradise."(Bukhari and Muslim)

So utterance of profanity is alarming and should be stopped as soon as possible and listening to profanity will also come under the same title of uttering profanity because you either stop a bad deed or just bear it. If you bear it then it means that you approve of it and so you hold equal burden of that sin on your shoulders but if you stop that person and he still uses those words then the best thing you can do is to not sit with that person until he gives up cussing.:exhausted
We must not engage in conversations where this bad habit comes into action and when it does, its time to leave. :statisfie

SmoothHijabi♥
07-08-2009, 12:56 PM
SubhanAllah shukran to you all!!!

Layla454
07-08-2009, 04:44 PM
There are plenty of words in the dictionary so theres no need to use profanity!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!