/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Suffering in Ramadan?

sasa101
06-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Allah (S.W.T) said in the Quran that he does not want us to suffer. And Prophet Mohammad also proposed the idea of eating right before sun up to keep one from feeling any pain during the fasting days of Ramadan. He himself wore a tight belt around his waist to numb the feeling of the hunger. so WHY all this controversy about this Ramadan fasting tablet??? i don't understand. please, I'm open to hear all views...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
chacha_jalebi
06-29-2009, 05:51 PM
erm which ramadan tablet? enlighten us :D

also fastin isnt suffering, thats like one sayin that when i pray i suffer when i go into and out of ruku, cos i gota bend my back or summin, we fast for the pleasure of Allah (swt), so we should think is he happy with our efforts, or not innaaay:D

like loads of people fast, and they moan throughout the whole of ramadan, but that kinda kills the purpose get me, we should slap em up straight :D

sasa101
06-29-2009, 10:11 PM
I agree... and i am talking about the Ramadan Fasting Tablet. i don't believe fasting is suffering. but this is not my point. my point is, if the Ramadan Fasting Tablet defeats the purpose of Ramadan in some Muslims eyes, then what is the purpose of fasting itself?

chacha_jalebi
06-29-2009, 10:21 PM
i checked it out lol

http://fasting.ramadantablet.com/#

I feel that taking the Ramadan Tablet undermines the whole purpose of Ramadan. Is this true?

We don't believe that taking the Ramadan Fasting Tablet to ease your fasting undermines the observance of Ramadan. According to the Holy Quran (2:185 “ ...Allah intends for you ease and he does not want to make things difficult for you”.) As our Prophet Muhamad (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him) said: “Have your Suhoor meal, for it is a blessed meal”. It is our understanding, that from the above verse in the Holy Quran and from the saying of Prophet Muhamad (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him) that the purpose of fasting was never to inflict suffering, rather it is our observance of the fast itself and our adherence to the command given to us from Allah. That is why Prophet Muhamad (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him) ,with the guidance of Allah, prescribed the Suhoor for the observant believers during the month of Ramadan. The Ramadan Tablet balances your Suhoor meal and directs your body to take the maximum energy from your Suhoor meal and other energy sources from your body such as our stored fat.

whats the beef with it? its like taking a vitamin or summin iniit? minorrr:D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sasa101
06-29-2009, 10:37 PM
i agree. ive done more and more research about this to see if its ok to propose it to my family and friends. and so far i have found nothing bad about it. its all natural, chemical free, halal and FDA approved.
so am all for it

'Abd-al Latif
06-29-2009, 10:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sasa101
i agree. ive done more and more research about this to see if its ok to propose it to my family and friends. and so far i have found nothing bad about it. its all natural, chemical free, halal and FDA approved.
so am all for it
Ask someone with knowledge, this is something new so most likely you will not find an appropriate answer.

I recommend not to take this, because the whole point of fasting is to come closer to Allah through struggle.

EDIT: After looking through the website I hope that Allah does not make their efforts successful for this product. There are countless rewards for the one who fasts and the numerous ahadeeth that relate to fasting.

How will one learn patience when hungry and thursty while fasting through these tablets? How will one truely feel the struggle of the poor and hungry throughout the world? How will our imaan increase if we seek artifical means to worship Allah?? How will one have the smell from ones mouth that is more pleasing to Allah then the smell of musk?

The Prophet (saaws) said: ...By the One in Whose hand is my soul, the smell coming from the mouth of the fasting person is better before Allaah then the fragrance of musk. [Allaah says:] ‘He gives up his food, drink and desire for My sake. Fasting is for Me and I will reward for it, and a good deed receives the reward of ten like it.’” Al-Bukhaari, no. 1894; Muslim, 1151.

And Allah said:

Only those who are patient shall receive their reward in full, without reckoning [al-Zumar 39:10]

I cannot see a development in ones soul through artifical worship.

Allah knows best.

sasa101
06-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Ask someone with knowledge, this is something new so most likely you will not find an appropriate answer.

I recommend not to take this, because the whole point of fasting is to come closer to Allah through struggle.
id love to believe you because that's what i've been told my entire life. but, after doing personal research i couldn't find any any verses in the Quran that state WHY we fast. don't get me wrong, im not saying fasting isn't mentioned in the Quran. what i'm saying is Allah (swt) did not provide us with any direct reasons as to why we must fast.
According to the Quran and all credible hadeeths, the only reason we fast is simply because Allah (swt) decreed it. if anyone can provide me with verses and credible hadeeths otherwise, i would love for you to share them.

'Abd-al Latif
06-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Re-read my post, I edited it.

'Abd-al Latif
06-29-2009, 11:17 PM
id love to believe you because that's what i've been told my entire life. but, after doing personal research i couldn't find any any verses in the Quran that state WHY we fast. don't get me wrong, im not saying fasting isn't mentioned in the Quran. what i'm saying is Allah (swt) did not provide us with any direct reasons as to why we must fast.
According to the Quran and all credible hadeeths, the only reason we fast is simply because Allah (swt) decreed it. if anyone can provide me with verses and credible hadeeths otherwise, i would love for you to share them.
As I said, ask someone who has knowledge and do not make a ruling from limited research. There are litterly 1000's of books of scholars that you may not know of which may clearify this matter. Internet research and asking people who may not have sufficent knowledge shouldn't be used to make matters permissible. Every act of worship is haram except for what is found in the Qur'an and Sunnah.

Do not be lax in this issue.
Q.What is the reason why fasting is prescribed?.

A.Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly we must note that one of the names of Allaah is al-Hakeem (the Most Wise). The word Hakeem is derived from the same root as hukm (ruling) and hikmah (wisdom). Allaah alone is the One Who issues rulings, and His rulings are the most wise and perfect.

Secondly:

Allaah does not prescribe any ruling but there is great wisdom behind it, which we may understand, or our minds may not be guided to understand it. We may know some of it but a great deal is hidden from us.

Thirdly:

Allaah has mentioned the reason and wisdom behind His enjoining of fasting upon us, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Observing As-Sawm (the fasting) is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqoon (the pious)”

[al-Baqarah 2:183]

Fasting is a means of attaining taqwa (piety, being conscious of Allaah), and taqwa means doing that which Allaah has enjoined and avoiding that which He has forbidden.

Fasting is one of the greatest means of helping a person to fulfil the commands of Islam.

The scholars (may Allaah have mercy on them) have mentioned some of the reasons why fasting is prescribed, all of which are characteristics of taqwa, but there is nothing wrong with quoting them here, to draw the attention of fasting people to them and make them keen to attain them.

Among the reasons behind fasting are:

1 – Fasting is a means that makes us appreciate and give thanks for pleasures. For fasting means giving up eating, drinking and intercourse, which are among the greatest pleasures. By giving them up for a short time, we begin to appreciate their value. Because the blessings of Allaah are not recognized, but when you abstain from them, you begin to recognize them, so this motivates you to be grateful for them.

2 – Fasting is a means of giving up haraam things, because if a person can give up halaal things in order to please Allaah and for fear of His painful torment, then he will be more likely to refrain from haraam things. So fasting is a means of avoiding the things that Allaah has forbidden.

3 – Fasting enables us to control our desires, because when a person is full his desires grow, but if he is hungry then his desire becomes weak. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “O young men! Whoever among you can afford to get married, let him do so, for it is more effective in lowering the gaze and protecting one’s chastity. Whoever cannot do that, let him fast, for it will be a shield for him.”

4 – Fasting makes us feel compassion and empathy towards the poor, because when the fasting person tastes the pain of hunger for a while, he remembers those who are in this situation all the time, so he will hasten to do acts of kindness to them and show compassion towards them. So fasting is a means of feeling empathy with the poor.

5 – Fasting humiliates and weakens the Shaytaan; it weakens the effects of his whispers (waswaas) on a person and reduces his sins. That is because the Shaytaan “flows through the son of Adam like blood” as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, but fasting narrows the passages through which the Shaytaan flows, so his influence grows less.

Shaykh al-Islam said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 25/246

Undoubtedly blood is created from food and drink, so when a person eats and drinks, the passages through which the devils flow – which is the blood – become wide. But if a person fasts, the passages through which the devils flow become narrow, so hearts are motivated to do good deeds, and to give up evil deeds.

6 – The fasting person is training himself to remember that Allaah is always watching, so he gives up the things that he desires even though he is able to take them, because he knows that Allaah can see him.

7 – Fasting means developing an attitude of asceticism towards this world and its desires, and seeking that which is with Allaah.

8 – It makes the Muslim get used to doing a great deal of acts of worship, because the fasting person usually does more acts of worship and gets used to that.

These are some of the reasons why fasting is enjoined. We ask Allaah to help us to achieve them and to worship Him properly.

And Allaah knows best.

See Tafseer al-Sa’di, p. 116; Ibn al-Qayyim’s footnotes on al-Rawd al-Murabba’, 3/344; al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, 28/9.

Islam Q&A
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/26862

sasa101
06-30-2009, 12:11 AM
I would like to quote Surah Al-Baqara, Ayah 185, Allah (swt) says:
“Allah desires ease for you, and He does not desire for you difficulty and (He desires) that you complete the (prescribed) period (of fasting)”
jazakumallhukhaira brother,
that was a very coherent response. However, referring back to my original issue regarding the tablet, it appears to be designed to curb hunger and thirst pains it does not appear to repress any will power. Therefore, taking the tablet will ease me of just my physical hunger but not my psychological hunger. Furthermore id like to respond to your previous quote regarding the reason why we fast and why I believe this tablet doesn’t take away from it…
1. the tablet doesn’t seem to be taking away from fasting ability to create appreciation for the pleasures in life. Because it doesn’t control will power or desire for food rather it curbs physical hunger pains (not psychological ones)
2. this point simply reiderates the point I was trying to make earlier. We fastbecause it helps us worship Allah(SWT) regardless of reason. If one believes in Him (SWT) then one will will be able to follow his word with or without explanation.
3. again, the tablet does not take away from controlling our desires. It simply eases the physiological sideffects that may effect ones daily obligations.
4. I am not sure if I believe this interpretation, purely because I haven’t enough proof
5. do not agree
6. again, I believe this to be true however I do not see how the tablet will take away from this. The desires will still be there and no pill will be able to control them. only ones faith in Allah (SWT) can overcome them.
7. agree but don’t see how the tablet will affect this
8. agree but don’t see how the tablet will affect this

The Ramadan Fasting Tablet is not designed nor is it intended to replace our will-power. It is simply intended to alleviate any unnecessary suffering, due to circumstances out of ones control.

Lets take for example, a Muslim at work, slaving away, with no energy, a headache, possibly dizzy and in a bad mood, with a conference to attend, or a deadline to meet, anxiously watching the clock for the minute when it will be okay for him or her to drink a sip of water.

Or a Muslim father, with a family of 5 to feed, who works in highway construction from 9 -5 under the sun and is fasting. In a society where they can care less whether you have had nothing to eat or drink. There is a job to do, and you have to get it done. The poor guy, will either break his fast, and feel awfully guilty in doing so, or fast and suffer, possibly jeopardizing his work performance, putting himself and others in danger.

Now, lets compare these two Muslims with a Muslim at home, in the comforts of his or her home. Is it fair for us to say that the fast of the Muslim at work is worth more than the Muslim at home? When the only difference was that one was obligated to go to work while the other was not. Clearly, both Muslims have chosen and observed the fast. And it is in this choice and in their observance and their will-power that gives purpose to Ramadan. Because, either Muslim could have very easily decided not to fast. And no one can argue the fact that fasting is a challenge, whether you are at home or at work. But for those at work, faced with deadlines and a job to do, or in school, have an extra burden to carry. And whenever suffering might be present, Allah advises that we not fast, however, if we do fast, it is better for us.

In the end, if one takes this Ramadan Tablet with his or her Suhoor meal, and then fasts during the day, he most definitely and without a doubt is fasting, and is still very anxious to eat Iftar, and very grateful when doing so. because the Ramadan Tablet only helps the Muslim get through the day. It doesn't take away our desire for food, nor our decision to fast in the first place.

Our 30 day fast in Ramadan, is a lesson in patience for the things we want but we cannot always have, by learning to abstain, to fast, and to say no. Is it the strength of our will power, and being able to restrain ourselves from the pleasures of life. Being thankful for all the other 330 days in the year where we can eat when we want, and what we like. And to always keep in mind, and never to forget the endless supply of the good and un-replaceable food Allah has provided for His creations.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-30-2009, 12:23 AM
Out of curiousity, if the tablet is meant to curb thirst and hunger, whats the point of fasting. It's like me eating during the time and saying im fasting...coz u dont feel the thirst and hunger. How will you learn self restraint and patience. Learn to control ur nafs when it beckons you to do something u shouldnt? This is just my take on it...I wouldnt take it even if it was so called halal...

It's listing all these scenarios for people...what about those people who have nothing, no money, they still fast knowing itll bring them close to Allah, no matter what the circumstances...Allahu Alam but it just doesnt sit right with me..

Its like me taking my hijab off when I get hot and migraines all the time. Allah(swt) doesnt want suffering for us of course...but imagine me doing that with my hijab. Walking building to building on campus with no car...cuz some unis u have long distances. What about at the time of the Prophet(saw) where people had limited access to travel...working in the heat etc etc, no air conditioning.

Salahudeen
06-30-2009, 12:50 AM
hmm sort of defeats the purpose of fasting at first I thought it was like a meal supplement or something that you could pop before the fast begins so that you don't have to go in the kitchen and cook a meal this would be fine I think.

But after reading the website it's become evident that its purpose is to decrease the pans of hunger so you don't actually feel hungary which is just dum cos the whole point of fasting is to feel hunger so you increase in your spirituality and closeness to Allah.

I'm actually really looking forward to this ramadhan in the middle of summer cos it'll bring me much closer to my lord inshallah rather than the short winter 1s that you hardly feel.

'Abd-al Latif
06-30-2009, 12:58 AM
I would like to quote Surah Al-Baqara, Ayah 185, Allah (swt) says:
“Allah desires ease for you, and He does not desire for you difficulty and (He desires) that you complete the (prescribed) period (of fasting)”
Allah does intend for you ease but the manner of performing fast is already prescribed. Do not use this ayaat to alter acts of worship because it seems as though you looking for an easy way out.

Allah has not burdened us with fast so I don't see this is a valid reason. The Prophet (saaws) would fast for 2 consecutive days yet, and we need tablets? The only thing will give us ease is our commitment to sincere worship.

If I remember correctly one of the pious people of the past said that he wants to live long in this world but not for wordly reasons, rather he wants to please Allah by praying the optional night prayer (tahajjud) during the long winter nights and to fast the long summer days.

jazakumallhukhaira brother,
that was a very coherent response. However, referring back to my original issue regarding the tablet, it appears to be designed to curb hunger and thirst pains it does not appear to repress any will power. Therefore, taking the tablet will ease me of just my physical hunger but not my psychological hunger. Furthermore id like to respond to your previous quote regarding the reason why we fast and why I believe this tablet doesn’t take away from it…
1. the tablet doesn’t seem to be taking away from fasting ability to create appreciation for the pleasures in life. Because it doesn’t control will power or desire for food rather it curbs physical hunger pains (not psychological ones)
Perhaps, but this tablet may reduce your experience of hunger and struggle to mere knowledge of it. We know the poor go through hardship but we don't understand the reality of it until we fast and experience a day in their life.
2. this point simply reiderates the point I was trying to make earlier. We fastbecause it helps us worship Allah(SWT) regardless of reason. If one believes in Him (SWT) then one will will be able to follow his word with or without explanation.
3. again, the tablet does not take away from controlling our desires. It simply eases the physiological sideffects that may effect ones daily obligations.
That's the whole point why the reward for fasting is so great and why I discourage those tablets.

4. I am not sure if I believe this interpretation, purely because I haven’t enough proof
Fast voluntarily throughout the year and you will see it for yourself. The great sahabi Abdullah Ibn 'Umar had learnt this lesson so greatly that he said will only break his fast with the poor so he may be humble and greatful as they are.

5. do not agree
This is a hadeeth.

The Prophet (saaws) said: The Shaytan flows through the son of Adam as blood flows. Narrated by al-Bukhaari (1933) and Muslim (2175).

6. again, I believe this to be true however I do not see how the tablet will take away from this. The desires will still be there and no pill will be able to control them. only ones faith in Allah (SWT) can overcome them.
When the month of ramadan is over, one takes a moment to think of all the lessons he learnt through the hardship that he went through. He learns from these lessons to improve himself and increase in his patience and his good deeds. If you go hungry for a day you will remember how you fasted. If Allah wants to test you with poverty then you will remember Ramadan and will not panic in those times.

If you feel you are too impatient to take fast through ramadan then this is even more of a reason for you to strictly avoid such things and fast through ramadan the way it has been prescribed.

7. agree but don’t see how the tablet will affect this
8. agree but don’t see how the tablet will affect this
If I may ask, why are you so insistent upon this tablet? The early scholars would pray for half a year to Allah to allow them to live up to ramadan so they may fast therein. And once ramadan was over they would ask Allah for the next 6 months to accept their ramadan. This was the strength of their faith which didn't lie in a tablet.

sasa101
07-10-2009, 06:38 PM
i think this is a great product
it can help us in many ways
gives us energy too
i dont think it makes you feel full completely though
i think it just curves your appetite a little
just a little something to finish off your sahoor with

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Still defeats the purpose. That is if ur intention is to not feel any sort of hunger the whole month.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-10-2009, 06:53 PM
^^^Repeat?? What in the world.

sasa101
07-10-2009, 07:23 PM
but sister, this tablet doesnt competly take away all sorts of hunger and thirst. it just CURVES your appetite to make the hot long days bearable.

'Abd-al Latif
07-10-2009, 10:33 PM
I find it surprising and perhaps shocking to see that you are so insistant upon this product, not to mention that you see ramadan as 'suffering', and there is no might or power except Allah!

I urge you to look into the meaning of Ramadan and fasting, what the Prophet (saaws) said regarding it, what the Sahaba and those who followed in their footsteps said regarding it. It's the month of mercy when the gates of hell fire are closed and paradise are open, when shaytan is tied up, the month when the Qur'an was revealed, the month of Laylat-ul qadr which is better then a 1000 months as Allah says:

The Night of Power is better than a thousand months. [Qur'an, 97:3]

Allah ordained fasting in order that we may attain piety, not to suffer, as Allah says:

O you who believe! Observing the fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become the pious [al-Baqarah 2:183]

It is by the wisdom of Allah that He has prescribed this, along with many other acts of worship, so as to test people with regard to how they will obey all these commands. Will they only choose to do that which suits them, or will they do that which pleases Allah? If we think about the five acts of worship: testimony of faith, prayer, zakaah, fasting and pilgrimage, we will see that some of them are purely physical, some are purely financial, some are both, so that the miser will become distinct from the generous. For some people it may be easy for them to pray one thousand rak'ahs but not to give a single penny in charity; for others it may be easy to give a thousands in charity but not to pray a single rak'ah. So Islam came to prescribe a variety of acts of worship so as to determine who will follow in obedience to the command of Allah and who will follow only that which suits him.

I urge you to research into this topic with sincerity as opposed to researching into a product which in my opinion is a futile product.

Unless someone who has knowledge and is qualified to give Islamic rulings based on the Qur'an and Sunnah allows this nonsensical product then I strongly suggest avoiding it. In the mean time I advise you not to be insincere in worshipping Allah by looking for back-doors or shortcuts because you will never follow this path except that you will be in danger of losing your iman.

May I also request that you abide by the forum rules and not make double accounts.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.