/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Did Prophet Moses (PBUH) pray to lead Pharoah astray?

Nerd
07-01-2009, 02:52 AM
I came across following verse, which some Muslims use to justify praying annihilation of Non-Muslims, rather then praying for Allah to show the non-Muslims the straight path. Which is more obligatory for a Muslim; pray for the annihilation of non-Muslims or pray for Allah to show them the straight path?

“Our Lord! You have indeed bestowed on Pharaoh and his chiefs splendor and wealth in the life of this world, our Lord! That they may lead men astray from Your Path. Our Lord! Destroy their wealth, and harden their hearts, so that they will not believe until they see the painful torment.”

Allah said: “Verily, the invocation of you both is accepted. So you both keep to the Straight Way (keep on doing good deeds, and preaching Allah’s Message with patience), and follow not the path of those who know not (the truth, to believe in the Oneness of Allah, and also to believe in the Reward of Allah: Paradise etc.).” (Ch 10:88-89 Quran)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zafran
07-01-2009, 02:58 AM
I came across following verse, which some Muslims use to justify praying annihilation of Non-Muslims, rather then praying for Allah to show the non-Muslims the straight path. Which is more obligatory for a Muslim; pray for the annihilation of non-Muslims or pray for Allah to show them the straight path?
You seriously have to give me some examples about people using this verse like that - Muslims always talk about the Prophet Muhammad pbuh praying to Allah swt to guide the people of Taif after the poeple of Taif acted terribly against the prophet.

I have never heard of this verse being used in such a way.

“Our Lord! You have indeed bestowed on Pharaoh and his chiefs splendor and wealth in the life of this world, our Lord! That they may lead men astray from Your Path. Our Lord! Destroy their wealth, and harden their hearts, so that they will not believe until they see the painful torment.”
You also dont remember what the Tyrant Pharoah has been doing to the children of Isreal - Furthermore Your generalisation of "Muslims use to justify praying annihilation of Non-Muslims" is realy bad as this verse specifically talks about a pompous Tyrant who oppresses people and thinks he himself is God! (may God forbid) - where did "annihilation of Non-Muslims" come from??

Ali_008
07-01-2009, 03:07 AM
:sl:
Here's Ibn Kathir's (may Allah be pleased with him) tafseer of those verses which gives the required justifications:

Musa supplicated against Fir`awn and His Chiefs

Allah mentioned what Musa said when he prayed against Fir`awn and his chiefs after they refused to accept the truth. They continued to go astray and be haughty and arrogant. Musa said:

[رَبَّنَآ إِنَّكَ ءاتَيْتَ فِرْعَوْنَ وَمَلاّهُ زِينَةً]

(Our Lord! You have indeed bestowed on Fir`awn and his chiefs splendor) and pleasure of this worldly life.

[وَأَمْوَالاً]

(and wealth) plentiful and abundant. Allah's statement,

[فِى الْحَيَوةِ الدُّنْيَا رَبَّنَا لِيُضِلُّواْ عَن سَبِيلِكَ]

(in the life of this world, Our Lord! That they may lead men astray from Your path.) was read with the word "Liyadillu'' and "Liyudillu.'' The first is with a Fathah over the Ya, meaning that "You have given them that while You know they would not believe in what You have sent me with to them. You did that so they would gradually be drawn away from the truth.'' As Allah said:

[لِنَفْتِنَهُمْ فِيهِ]

(that We may test them thereby.)(20:131) and (72:17). Others read the word with a Dammah over the Ya. (i.e. Liyudillu) This makes the Ayah mean: You have given them that so whoever You willed from among Your creatures will be tried. Those whom You wish to misguide would think that You have given them that because You loved them and You cared about them.''

[رَبَّنَا اطْمِسْ عَلَى أَمْوَلِهِمْ]

("Our Lord! Destroy their wealth,'') Ibn `Abbas and Mujahid said: "They asked Allah to destroy their wealth.'' Ad-Dahhak, Abu Al-`Aliyah and Ar-Rabi`a bin Anas said: "Allah made their wealth into engraved stones as it was before.'' About Allah's statement,

[وَاشْدُدْ عَلَى قُلُوبِهِمْ]

(and harden their hearts) Ibn `Abbas said, "Harden their hearts means put a seal on them.''

[فَلاَ يُؤْمِنُواْ حَتَّى يَرَوُاْ الْعَذَابَ الاٌّلِيمَ]

(so that they will not believe until they see the painful torment.) This prayer was from Musa because he was angry for the sake of Allah and His religion. He prayed against Fir`awn and his chiefs when he was certain that there was no good in them. Similarly, Nuh prayed and said:

[وَقَالَ نُوحٌ رَّبِّ لاَ تَذَرْ عَلَى الاٌّرْضِ مِنَ الْكَـفِرِينَ دَيَّاراً - إِنَّكَ إِن تَذَرْهُمْ يُضِلُّواْ عِبَادَكَ وَلاَ يَلِدُواْ إِلاَّ فَاجِراً كَفَّاراً ]

(My Lord! Leave not one of the disbelievers on the earth! If You leave them, they will mislead Your servants, and they will beget none but wicked disbelievers.) (71:26-27) Harun said "Amin'' to his brother's prayer. And Allah answered Musa's prayer. Allah said:

[قَدْ أُجِيبَتْ دَّعْوَتُكُمَا]

(Verily, the invocation of you both is accepted.) `in destroying Fir`awn's people.

[قَدْ أُجِيبَتْ دَّعْوَتُكُمَا فَاسْتَقِيمَا]

(Verily I have answered your prayers (both of you). So you both keep to the straight way) So as I have answered your prayer, you should remain steadfast on My command.' Ibn Jurayj narrated that Ibn `Abbas said about this Ayah: "Be steadfast and follow My command.''
No Muslim would ever pray against anyone let alone non-Muslims. You must have heard about this kind of prayers only for the tyrants who are doing injustice in Iraq, Afghanistan, Palestine, Chechnya, Gaza etc. There are being equally oppressive as Fir'awn and if an oppressed person prays against the oppressor then whats wrong with it. The oppressor didn't show any mercy to him anyway. And even if someone prays against or in other words curses someone then only the oppressed have the right to curse whether Muslim or non-Muslim. And if someone curses an innocent individual then the curse returns to the one who made it. Don't think that annihilation of non-Muslims is the aim of Muslims rather we pray to Allah to guide every one and protect all from the torment of hell except of course some tyrants like Fir'awn who don't even deserve to receive guidance.

Zafran
07-01-2009, 03:40 AM
Salaam

Good post Ali

Jazak Allah Kair.

peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AntiKarateKid
07-04-2009, 06:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_008
Here's Ibn Kathir's (may Allah be pleased with him) tafseer of those verses which gives the required justifications:

No Muslim would ever pray against anyone let alone non-Muslims. You must have heard about this kind of prayers only for the tyrants who are doing injustice in Iraq, Afghanistan, Palestine, Chechnya, Gaza etc. There are being equally oppressive as Fir'awn and if an oppressed person prays against the oppressor then whats wrong with it. The oppressor didn't show any mercy to him anyway. And even if someone prays against or in other words curses someone then only the oppressed have the right to curse whether Muslim or non-Muslim. And if someone curses an innocent individual then the curse returns to the one who made it. Don't think that annihilation of non-Muslims is the aim of Muslims rather we pray to Allah to guide every one and protect all from the torment of hell except of course some tyrants like Fir'awn who don't even deserve to receive guidance.
The Prophet pbuh prayed to Allah to punish the Meccans after they dumped camel intestines on him while he was praying.

Ali_008
07-07-2009, 05:21 AM
^^^^ Brother, in the following lines I also mentioned that if someone is oppressed then he has all the authority to pray against the oppressor.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.