/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My first covering..

SisterKatya
07-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Salaam

I need to know what covering for women is most pleasing unto Allah, what would be the most pleasing covering for me to wear?

I am thinking about buying my first covering (I do not own a head scarf, burkha anything at the moment) (tho I am still not 100% sure Islam is the way for me).

But I would like to have opinions to think over on what it is Allah would most want me to wear.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nihila
07-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Salaam :)

MashaAllah sis, welcome to the sisterhood that is hijab :)

I think you should start with what you feel comfortable first off, hijab can be a big step. Wear modest clothing that doesnt show off your figure etc, and if you feel a desire to, cover your hair/ears/neck using a scarf...

Just my opinion on how you might want to approach it, not an official opinion, or ruling on what Allah swt commands :)

May Allah make it easy for you...if you need anything at all, just shout!

UmmSqueakster
07-01-2009, 07:38 PM
wa alaikum assalam,

If you live in the US, many mainstream retailors have been selling scarves that are hijab worthy - Target, Walmart, the Gap, Macys (although those are really really expensive).

there are lots of places online that sell hijab + pins as well - http://www.modestclothes.com/islamic...adscarves.html

And how to wear, there are a plethora of websites and youtube videos as well. Just google how to hijab and you'll get dozens of tutorials.

As a muslim and hijab newbie, start slow. Many sisters go all out right away - all black, niqab (covering the face), and this can prove to be too much sometimes. I started by wearing pants instead of shorts, and gradually shifting to long sleeve shirts. After a few months, I started wearing a bandana. Then, 6 or 7 months after I converted, I started wearing a headscarf that covered by hair and neck. Years later, I switched to skirts instead of pants.

SisterKatya
07-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Many thanks also should I avoid bright colours and patterns? I like bright things, sparkly things but I do not want to commit any haram..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
UmmSqueakster
07-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Some say yes, some say no.

I'm personally known as the girl in the hot pink hijab, so guess which interpretation I follow.

I believe that how we dress is a function of urf, culture. So long as we follow the general rules of hijab - not too showy, covers the figure, is not see through - the culture can dictate how much of other things are acceptible. This is while you'll find such a diversity of hijab in the muslim world. In Saudi Arabia, you would look really funny and stick out if you work flowered clothes. But in Malaysia and Indonesia, those are the norm. Likewise, in Egypt, women wear bright color and skirts usually, where as in Pakistani, they may wear color, but will more often wear shalwar kameez, which are tunic with pants.

Hayaa
07-01-2009, 08:09 PM
I feel that it's better not to wear something that will attract too much attention, because that would defeat the purpose of hijab... but you can always find something that has a decent color/pattern. I usually just wear black or a dark color if I'm going with a bright hijab to kinda dull it down.

May Allah accept your intentions and make this step easy on you. Ameen

:) :) :)

SisterKatya
07-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Got to admit hot pink is my weak spot too ;) I have one last question on coverings, can one wear make up while wearing hijab? I am guessing no, as make up is some thing that is attractive and this defeats the point of a covering? I have seen girls with the hijab that also have lip stick on and eye make up.. is this largely frowned upon?

UmmSqueakster
07-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm a make up no no person myself - it makes it impossible to pray during the day! When we pray, we make wudu, which includes washing the face. There goes all the make up right down the drain...

Also, foundation gets on the edge of the hijab and makes it look dirty.

If one wants to wear make up, it should look as natural as possible - ie to smooth out rough skin tone or something. Nothing where someone would be able to look and say yup, she's wearing make up.

Al-Zaara
07-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Truth about make-up is, it has to be so 'not visible' that the person who looks at you will say 'you look good today!' without knowing what exactly makes a difference on you today. Meaning in short: Natural is your best make-up. Though ironic to say 'go natural' and then put on products, but oh well, we are ironic beings.

Anyways, I wish you success inshaAllah. ;) Remember modesty is the key and no need to push yourself too hard. Things will fall right on place with time.

The Ruler
07-01-2009, 09:46 PM
If you're wearing lipstick and a niqaab, there's nothing wrong with that.

format_quote Originally Posted by SisterKatya
I have seen girls with the hijab that also have lip stick on and eye make up.. is this largely frowned upon?
IMO, they look very ugly.

SisterKatya
07-01-2009, 10:09 PM
I have a wonderful feeling I might just be doing the right thing :) thanks for all your replies may Allah bless you all

Abdul Fattah
07-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Selam aleykum
I have seen girls with the hijab that also have lip stick on and eye make up.. is this largely frowned upon?
First of all, this is a common trap of Shaytan, He tries to convince you that one action cannot be combined with the other. Whether or not to wear make-up and whether or not to wear hijab are two different things. The reason shaytaan does this, is because he tries to convince you that if you can't do both, it's better to do nothing at all. He tries to convince you that wearing hijab with make up is frowned upon, so if you feel uncomfortably without make-up then better not to wear hijab in the first place. This is of-course wrong. Hijab is mandatory for woman, so it is always better to wear it, regardless of everything else you do.

Secondly, you also shouldn't be worried about what other people frown upon. What matters is what Allah subhana wa ta'ala thinks, and inshaAllah he will understand that for a new revert, it is not easy to change your whole life at once, so start with teh things which are mandatory, like praying 5 times, and wearing hijab, and eating halal, and once you feel stronger in religion you can focus on smaller issues like whether or not to wear make-up, and stuff like that.

May Allah subhana wa ta'ala guide you, and please make dua for me ^_^

liya
07-03-2009, 11:54 PM
for me i never put make up alhamdlilah ... becuz make up like 4 ur eyes or anything eles make it more beautiful than it already is.... its haram i heard it from many sheikhs from suadi arabia and egypt and as prophet PBUH said "they should not show their zenah" which means anything the muslium woman adds to her natural beauty like make up its only permissble infront of other women or ur husband or any maharm also to not show parts of ur leg as some muslimah these days wear too short skirts or trousers which show most parts of their leg and claims she is covered or wear cloth that r soo arractive or hijabs .... sister by the way u r new muslimah i just want to tell u some IMPORTANT INFRO that alot !!!! and i mean alot of our muslim sister ignore is plucking eyebrows theres a hadith Al-Bukhari and Muslim narrated through Abdu Allah ibn Mas’oud, may Allah be pleased with him, said:

Allah curses the woman who perform tattoos, get tattoos, the woman who pluck the eyebrows of others, and those women who get their eyebrows plucked, and part their teeth for adornment; who change Allah’s creation.
so by this hadith its a major sin and i dont know why sister ignores it .... i dd it once or twice i think and wen i heard this hadith i stopped doing it alhamdlilah....
and sister with u seeing sister with hijab and hav make up on then we pray for Allah to guide us all cuz we r human we do mistakes .... if u r revert thats is masallah !!! great step ... if Allah choose u to be muslim then try ur best to be best muslimah cuz no one knows wen we r going to die so we wake up everyday trying to do our best to increase our emaan and be best muslims ... wen u asked to put make up or not that means masallah u want to please Allah than keep doing it sister ( masallah) ...belive me shaytan will try his best to mislead u again and he will do it step by step as he mislead many sisters from being modest to wearing tied cloth show their skin till taking off their hijabs and he will keep doing that to every muslim until he\she disbelive cuz its all he wishes for .... dont let shaytan to take this beautiful chance from u to became more close to Allah Almighty .... even if its hard changing ur way of life i asure u it deserves every effort .... and pray sister to Allah ask him to guide u to the good and doing it and prevent u from the bad and to protect u from it amiin .... hope u ddnt get bored but i hope the best for u insha allah ....

Layla454
07-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Make-up is a form of attraction and should be put on for your husband's pleasure

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.