/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Does Mysticism Have A Place in Islam?

Sarada
07-04-2009, 04:00 PM

My question is very simple: "Does mysticism have a place in Islam?"

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
07-04-2009, 04:19 PM
:sl:
What do you mean by mysticism?

We have black magic, jinns and angels if that's what you're talking about.

Sarada
07-04-2009, 04:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
What do you mean by mysticism?

We have black magic, jinns and angels if that's what you're talking about.
I'm not talking about black magic or any other magic.

I mean "Immediate consciousness of the transcendent or ultimate reality or God."

AntiKarateKid
07-04-2009, 06:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sarada
I'm not talking about black magic or any other magic.

I mean "Immediate consciousness of the transcendent or ultimate reality or God."
Could you give an example? We have consciousness of what Allah is and what he wants if that is what you mean.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sarada
07-04-2009, 06:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
Could you give an example? We have consciousness of what Allah is and what he wants if that is what you mean.

Yes, I have done some searching on the internet since I started this thread,

and I do mean consciousness of Allah and , I think Taqwa.

Could you explain these to me? (?)

Thank-you.

Salaam,

Sarada

Brasco
07-04-2009, 07:19 PM

Allah ta'ala mentions regarding At-Taqwa:

"And a soul and Him Who perfected it (7) And inspired it (with conscience of) what is wrong for it and (what is) right for it. (8) He is indeed successful who causeth it to grow, (9) And he is indeed a failure who stunteth it. (10)"
Sura Ash-Shams

"O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things) (13)"
Sura Al-Hujurat

The more knowledge you gain and the more you practise of this knowledge, the bigger At-Taqwa will get insha'allah! And if one is having a distinctive At-taqwa inside them, they'll be sensitive in obeying Allah ta'ala

:w:

- Qatada -
07-05-2009, 06:43 PM
might be useful;

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/510/

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/1388/

Sarada
07-05-2009, 09:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -

Thank-you for these links, they were eye-openning, to say the least

this is from Wikpedia, when I searched 'taqwa'

"Taqwá (Arabic: التقوى‎ at-taqwá) is the Islamic concept of "God-consciousness" or higher consciousness. Having taqwá allows a person to be constantly aware of both God's all-encompassing knowledge and attributes and a reminder of their relationship and responsibility to God as his creation and servant. The scholars explain that the way to taqwá is through obedience of God, avoiding disobedience, and striving to stay away from doubtful matters. It is awareness of God as one moves through life.

The origin of the word taqwá "carefulness, Godfearing-ness" is from the Arabic root WQY from the 8th form verb, ittaqá "be wary, Godfearing." The traditional understanding is negative: "to stay away from everything forbidden and do all things that are ordered by God." Alternative definitions are sometimes quite positive, such as: "to pursue the Path of God with single-minded, energetic devotion."[citation needed] Literally it means to protect yourself from diverging from the path of God. The Qur'ān says,

be on your guard against the fire of which men and stones are the fuel; it is prepared for the unbelievers.[Qur'an 2:24]

One of the early Companions of the Prophet gave an example of taqwá. If one is walking through a forest where there are many thorns, one walks carefully so as not to get pricked or get one's clothes torn."

Uthman
07-06-2009, 06:42 PM
In addition, Mujaahid ibn Jabr (a famous student of the great companion and cousin of the prophet Ibn 'Abbas) said about taqwa:
It is that you obey Allah, so that He is never disobeyed, and you are concious of Him, so that He is never forgotten, and that you think Him, so that He is never disbelieved.
Mysticism isn't a concept that I would equate with taqwa although I suppose it depends on how you define mysticism.

Sarada
07-06-2009, 06:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
In addition, Mujaahid ibn Jabr (a famous student of the great companion and cousin of the prophet Ibn 'Abbas) said about taqwa:
It is that you obey Allah, so that He is never disobeyed, and you are concious of Him, so that He is never forgotten, and that you think Him, so that He is never disbelieved.
Mysticism isn't a concept that I would equate with taqwa although I suppose it depends on how you define mysticism.
According to what I have read so far, taqwa seems to be more of an act of maintaining a conscious objective awareness of God, than a subjective perception of God's nearness.

It appears to me that seeking a more direct, subjective perception of God's nearness is not encouraged.

Am I right? Or have I missed something?

Warm regards,

Sarada

UmmSqueakster
07-06-2009, 08:18 PM
On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (ra), who said that the Messenger of Allah (saws) said: Allah (swt) said:

Whosoever shows enmity to someone devoted to Me, I shall be at war with him. My servant draws not near to Me with anything more loved by Me than the religious duties I have enjoined upon him, and My servant continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory works so that I shall love him. When I love him I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask [something] of Me, I would surely give it to him, and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it. I do not hesitate about anything as much as I hesitate about [seizing] the soul of My faithful servant: he hates death and I hate hurting him.

[Bukhari]

soloqi
07-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Did the prophet (pbuh) not say some thing about completing our deen. Mysticism has much to do with Islam, my understanding of a mystic is someone that follows ' a way', to achieve a higher state consciousness/perception, but does not make it a big deal, e.g standing on a soap box in hyde park telling people what they should do, or listen to me.
consciousness can also be called 'know thy self' some may say this could be done thought prayers, meditation,people that do the afermentioned on a regular basis have a certain 'aura' about them, they have a sense of well being, humbleness and serinity. A feeling of oneness, at peace with all around you.
People may get it confused with black majic, but thats just because they have not really got rid of their social conditioning perhaps, and watch too much television.

Sarada
07-07-2009, 01:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by soloqi
Did the prophet (pbuh) not say some thing about completing our deen. Mysticism has much to do with Islam, my understanding of a mystic is someone that follows ' a way', to achieve a higher state consciousness/perception, but does not make it a big deal, e.g standing on a soap box in hyde park telling people what they should do, or listen to me.
consciousness can also be called 'know thy self' some may say this could be done thought prayers, meditation,people that do the afermentioned on a regular basis have a certain 'aura' about them, they have a sense of well being, humbleness and serinity. A feeling of oneness, at peace with all around you.People may get it confused with black majic, but thats just because they have not really got rid of their social conditioning perhaps, and watch too much television.
Thank-you for that wonderful explanation! I was beginning to think that mysticism was taboo in Islam.

soloqi
07-07-2009, 01:33 AM
Your welcome, Mysticims is a taboo in Islam, i have problems with this all the time because i like to read on occult topics and listen to music. Just keep on doing what you feel you need to do and when lost remember from where you came.

AntiKarateKid
07-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Your welcome, Mysticims is a taboo in Islam, i have problems with this all the time because i like to read on occult topics and listen to music. Just keep on doing what you feel you need to do and when lost remember from where you came.
WTH does that even mean? Mysiticism is now related to music? Reading occult topics? Are you dense or just pretending? From your posts you are obviously one of the missionaries posing as Muslim so get out of here.

soloqi
07-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Why do much hate thats not very islamic, music is related to mysticism. Sound effects matter, did you not read that in school.
Regarding the occult most muslims have probally never read a book on the intuitive arts.
As a muslim you have no right to judge me, why exile me because i dont think like you, thats not very islamic to cast out people that offend you.

GreyKode
07-07-2009, 01:58 AM
consciousness can also be called 'know thy self' some may say this could be done thought prayers, meditation,people that do the afermentioned on a regular basis have a certain 'aura' about them, they have a sense of well being, humbleness and serinity. A feeling of oneness, at peace with all around you.
People may get it confused with black majic, but thats just because they have not really got rid of their social conditioning perhaps, and watch too much television.
[/LIST]

Could you possibly tell us what is it that the prophet (pbuh) said about completing our deen?

standing on a soap box in hyde park telling people what they should do, or listen to me.
oh, you mean da'wa is bad, just trying to clarify things here.

soloqi
07-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Wow i really have to use simple english here it seems.

How does one get 'standing on a soap box' to interpre that as giving da'wa.

If you dont believe Islam is all the teaching of the ages in one book then i not going to preach to you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.