/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Arabic position within Islam.

Jon Paul
07-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Hello, everyone!

Well, I am curious to learn more about the posistion the Arabic language holds within Islam. Is Arabic considered a sacred language amongst Muslims? I have noticed amongst non-Arab Muslims that there is a healthy respect for the Arabic language and many converts strive to learn the language — which I can testify to is no easy feat, personally trying to learn Irish :p! Arabic looks 100x's harder!

Or rather, does Arabic hold a place within Islam as Latin once did amongst the Catholic Church pre-modernisation (which began in the late 20th century)? I would love to read more about the langauge, the reasons for the respect it commands, why converts adopt Arabic names etc., I will greatly appreciate any information! You may have guessed, but the idea of a sacred language is a strange concept to me!

Regards,
JP.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Hey JP :)

The reason why people are eager to learn Arabic is because the Qur'aan was revealed in Arabic and in which the Qur'aan is in its purest form. As you may guess, a translation is but only a translation. We can of course understand the Qur'aan in a translation but you get the best essence of it in its best form, in this case it being Arabic :)

I'm not sure to say sacred but it is very important and we consider it to be the language of Allah/God. EVen our prayers(salaah) must be in Arabic.

Jon Paul
07-16-2009, 12:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
Hey JP :)

The reason why people are eager to learn Arabic is because the Qur'aan was revealed in Arabic and in which the Qur'aan is in its purest form. As you may guess, a translation is but only a translation. We can of course understand the Qur'aan in a translation but you get the best essence of it in its best form, in this case it being Arabic :)

I'm not sure to say sacred but it is very important and we consider it to be the language of Allah/God. EVen our prayers(salaah) must be in Arabic.
I thought that perhaps the Qur'an was the reason. I can perfectly understand that.

Now, is the reason Arabic is considered the language of God because the Qur'an is Arabic or because Mohammed spoke Arabic? Did not the earlier prophets speak other semitic languages?

Don't get me wrong - I think it is wonderful that Muslims maintain a traditional language. I only wish the Church would not have side-swept Latin imsad!

P.S. I would say that, a language of God would be considered a sacred language!

Regards,
JP.

Banu_Hashim
07-16-2009, 12:57 PM
The importance of Arabic is only because of the Qur'an, and the fact that it was revealed in Arabic. This is explained in the Qur'an itself. There are, as you probably know many different accents and dialects of arabic today in the arabic speaking world. The type most people try to learn (including myself) is fusha which is the closest type to the Classical Arabic of the Qur'an.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-16-2009, 02:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jon Paul
I thought that perhaps the Qur'an was the reason. I can perfectly understand that.

Now, is the reason Arabic is considered the language of God because the Qur'an is Arabic or because Mohammed spoke Arabic? Did not the earlier prophets speak other semitic languages?

Don't get me wrong - I think it is wonderful that Muslims maintain a traditional language. I only wish the Church would not have side-swept Latin imsad!
Yes i understand what you mean, no worries. I can't seem to add more to that otherwise yes other Prophets(pbut) spoke different languages. I'm not sure how to answer your first two questions. Perhaps someone else can :)
I guess I answered myself!

Regards,
JP.
Peace :)

Imam
07-17-2009, 06:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jon Paul

Regards,
JP.
The Holy Quran 30:22 And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the variations in your languages and your colours: verily in that are Signs for those who know.

All languages are in the same statue in Islam and as no skin color superior to another...there is no language superior to another....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.