/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Reciting Qur'an to get Allah's reward, is that ok?

mathematician
07-17-2009, 09:04 PM
This question has been on my mind for such a long time.
While I do sometimes good deeds to please Allah, many times I do it because the reward He offers is just irresistible. :) Consider this:
"On the day of judgement, the Qur'an will petition Allah to cloak the one who was a companion of the Qur'an (recited it often) with garments of honor and respect. A crown of honor will then be places on his head. The Qur'an will then petition Allah to shower His pleasure on the reciter. Allah will then become pleased with him. ......." reported by..............
I could state who reported this hadith if someone wants me to do so. Albani said it's sahih.

My question is, if I recite the Qur'an because I want this irresistible reward is it ok with Allah? Or will I be punished for doing a good deed for a bad reason?
Any thoughts on this or similar cases please let me know.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
07-17-2009, 09:21 PM
That's the whole point. You do good deeds for the reward...

AntiKarateKid
07-18-2009, 04:25 AM
There are many rewards. You could consider the reward in terms of the gardens or in terms of seeing Allah face to face or in terms of him being pleased with you!

StudentMuslim
07-18-2009, 04:39 AM
I think it will be better if you do a good deed for its goodness and not because of some reward. For example, it will be better if you recite Quran in a bid to understand it as opposed to trying to get some Sawa'b.

At the same time I think that we humans are weak so we might use thsi reward thing as a motivation to start a good deed (like recitation of Quran) but once you make it a habbit, then I think the sole intention should be for learning purpose. This is what I think.

Also, I have one more question. Not all Muslims are Arabs(like myself), so is it more afzal(better) to read Quran in our native language for a better undertsanding or reading it in Arabic is better? What are you guys thoughts on it?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ramadhan
07-18-2009, 01:19 PM
I normally recite the Qur'an for two pages at a time and then read the tafseer/translation of the ayats because as a non arab speaking person I would like to have some idea what I've just read especially because it is THE Qur'an, the guidance of life. What's the general opinion about this practice?
I am asking this because during my last umrah, I was reading my quran (with its tafseer translation) at the masjid Nabawi, and then this man came to me and admonish me not to read the tafseer and to read only from the official Qur'an prints that were available in the masjid. Thats roughly what I thought he meant because he was speaking in arabic in agitated way (which I do not understand) and pointed to my personal Qur'an and say "tafseer" and then pointed out to the stacks of Qur'an and pointed back at me. I was, and still am, confused why reading the tafseer/translation was not allowed

StudentMuslim
07-18-2009, 07:56 PM
I think that person might have been angry at you because a lot of scholars do not agree with most translations and tafseer available. They way I do it is I read Quran only in English (I have read Quran in Arabic many times without really understanding what it said). But I use two different translations, comparing them and then use my common sense too. I only use Tafseer when I get stuck at some Ayat, so Tafseer is mostly just a reference book for me. That is what I do brother.

IAmZamzam
08-26-2009, 03:25 AM
There's nothing wrong with wanting a reward for your right actions, but it shouldn't be your sole motivation. In Islam we are taught to do the right thing first because it's what God wants (in other words, just because it is the right thing) and second for His reward.

Humbler_359
09-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Read carefully.

"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles "
A Beautiful Hadith

Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) said: 'When a man dies and his relatives are busy in funeral, there stands an extremely handsome man by his head. When the dead body is shrouded, that man gets in between the shroud and the chest of the deceased. When after the burial, the people return home, 2 angels, Munkar and Nakeer(names of two special Angels), come in the grave and try to separate this handsome man so that they may be able to interrogate the dead man in privacy about his faith. But the handsome man says, 'He is my companion, he is my friend. I will not leave him alone in any case. If you are appointed for interrogation, do your job. I cannot leave him until I get him admitted into Paradise '.Thereafter he turns to his dead companion and says, 'I am the Qur'an, which you used to read, sometimes in a loud voice and sometimes in a low voice. Do not worry. After the interrogation of Munkar and Naker, you will have no grief.'

When the interrogation is over, the handsome man arranges for him from Al-Mala'ul A'laa (the angels in Heaven) silk bedding filled with musk..
Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) said: 'On the Day of Judgement, before Allah, no other Intercessor will have a greater status than the Qur'an, neither a Prophet nor an angel.'

Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) said:
'Pass on knowledge from me even if it is only one verse'.
May Allah bestow this favour on all of us.

AMEEN

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.