/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How would you say....

love_quran
07-22-2009, 04:34 PM
How would you say:

Student of Allah?
Student of Life?
Student of Good?
Student of Love(as in theological/Godly Love[Christians call it 'agape" love])

My reason for asking is I am contemplating adopting an Islamic name.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
07-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Student of Allah? Tilmeedh Allah.
Student of Life? Tilmeedh alhayat.
Student of Good? Tilmeedh alkhair.
Student of Love? Tilmeedh alhub.

There may be a bit of difficulty at first with the pronunciation, but it's very easy to get used to inshaAllah.

جوري
07-22-2009, 04:52 PM
The word Student in Arabic is tilmeez or talib (in the masculine)
Hyat = life
love = 'h'ob there is no letter for ح
in Arabic thus we substitute for H.. also there is more than word for love, depending on the degree of love..and to whom the love is bestowed 'shaghaf' 'fatan; 3ishq' the list is quite endless
and lastly good is khyer...
may I suggest that if you have a good American name that you keep it, or if you want an Islamic name that you stick with the conventional ones.. sometimes I hear 'islamic names that are really quite odd and can be akin to adjectives or verbs than nouns .. sometimes adjectives are good but not in the composition that they are given..
some common names between Muslims and christians are
'Joseph/yousef'
Zacharia/ Zachary
Abrahaem/ibrahim
is'haq/ Issac
idris/enoch
ben'yameen albeit more Jewish sounding but that is benjamin the youngest brother of yoursef
Omar is quite popular

Jazaka Allah khyran

:w:

جوري
07-22-2009, 04:53 PM
addendum to that as I just someone on board with the name ilyas = elias

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Yaqoob for Jacob. Of course Isa for Jesus..:)
Moses for Musa etc..

Banu_Hashim
07-22-2009, 05:02 PM
As said, you can keep your own name. It's not absolutely necessary to change your name to what is considered an 'Islamic' or 'Muslim' name. Such names are the names of people who were either prophets, sahaba, famous tabi'een etc. and out of respect of the great people they were, people name their children accordingly. If you have taken shahada, believe truly that Allah (swt) is your Lord and Muhammad is his Messenger , then you're are alhamdulillah, a Muslim, with a name; as is the case with the 1.8 billion other Muslims in this world. But, if you genuinely like a name of a prophet etc., and that helps you identify with the Muslim community more, then go for it!

My quick suggestions (spellings vary):

- Aadam (the 1st prophet)

- Muhammad (the last prophet)

- Zakariyya (a prophet)

- Saifuddin (Sword of religion)

^ These are all actually names of people in my family.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-22-2009, 05:04 PM
I heard as long as your name has a good meaning...not unislamic then you may keep it. There would be no need to change it then.

Muhaba
07-22-2009, 05:13 PM
How about the name Habibullah. It means Allah's beloved (I think).

Banu_Hashim
07-22-2009, 05:27 PM
^ That's a beautiful name I think. Sometimes it used in reference to Muhammad (saws), I think.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Yes it refers to Prophet Muhammad(saw).

love_quran
07-22-2009, 08:05 PM
my "christian name" is Richard David ________

is this bad?

Banu_Hashim
07-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Not bad, no, but it is quite a Christian sounding name to me for some reason.

What about Dawud? (The Arabic Qur'anic form of David)

love_quran
07-22-2009, 08:12 PM
yeah not bad but when i asked my wife about that one she said she didnt like it. I was considering Salih for a time but it doesnt seem to "fit" if ya know what i mean.

Banu_Hashim
07-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Hmm... Yusuf is quite a popular one.

love_quran
07-22-2009, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
As said, you can keep your own name. It's not absolutely necessary to change your name to what is considered an 'Islamic' or 'Muslim' name. Such names are the names of people who were either prophets, sahaba, famous tabi'een etc. and out of respect of the great people they were, people name their children accordingly. If you have taken shahada, believe truly that Allah (swt) is your Lord and Muhammad is his Messenger , then you're are alhamdulillah, a Muslim, with a name; as is the case with the 1.8 billion other Muslims in this world. But, if you genuinely like a name of a prophet etc., and that helps you identify with the Muslim community more, then go for it!

My quick suggestions (spellings vary):

- Aadam (the 1st prophet)

- Muhammad (the last prophet)

- Zakariyya (a prophet)

- Saifuddin (Sword of religion)

^ These are all actually names of people in my family.
thank you, those are a wonderful selection of names...I think I will be asking my wife tonight about Saifuddin ...who in your family has this name?

Banu_Hashim
07-22-2009, 08:20 PM
^ My dad. But people call him Saifi for short.

love_quran
07-22-2009, 08:30 PM
What does Saifi mean?

Also where can one find a Quranic Arabic Dictionary?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-22-2009, 08:44 PM
My uncles name is falahuddin but i duno wot it meansss....

جوري
07-22-2009, 09:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by love_quran
yeah not bad but when i asked my wife about that one she said she didnt like it. I was considering Salih for a time but it doesnt seem to "fit" if ya know what i mean.
lol.. no it doesn't.. you should keep your name .. Saleh, I believe is the prophet shelah? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saleh
he was sent to the people of Thamud.. in the Quran, they were described as having homes in rocks.. I believe it to be modern day Petra in Jordan

you have a nice name.. I don't know the etymology of the word Richard but I don't believe it to mean anything bad...

most Muslims in all parts of the world just have their own names.. for instance chinese Muslims I am certain have chinese names.. so if you are attached to your name keep it, and it is my 'personal' opinion that it is the first gift your parents bestow upon you, thus no reason to throw a perfectly good useful gift away...

and Allah swt knows best

جوري
07-22-2009, 09:07 PM
saifudin means the sword of the creed...

saifi is a moniker of it.. sort of like saying 'swordy' lol

and Allah swt knows best

Banu_Hashim
07-22-2009, 09:09 PM
lol yup... swordy. It just what family and friends have called him since he was at even a young age.

love_quran
07-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Wow ok. I do wish to take on a Muslim name to help me more strongly Identify with Islam. I deeply respect my parents choice of name as it is commesurate with other names in my family.

My wife and i discussed a few different Muslim names and the one we both like is that of the last prophet. However i am not sure what spelling is correct. Ive seen....

Muhammed
Mohammed
Mohamed
muhamed
Mohamet
Mohammet
etc.

It has been confusing to say the least....does anyone know which one is correct? My native language is American English(if you want to get nit picky about it ..President's English) I'm not sure which transliteration is most correct...However i do seem to be pulled in the direction of spelling it "Mohammed"

By the way, besides being the name of the unlettered prophet, what does Mohammed mean?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-27-2009, 02:32 PM
:sl:

Muhammad is a great name :D I would spell it this way.
It means "praised one."

جوري
07-27-2009, 02:34 PM
the first four are excellent.. I think the T is Turkish style.. so I'd stick with the Arabic version..
Mohamed happens to be my absolute favorite name..
and the way I have spelled it here, is how my brother writes his name so I am partial to that style spelling, but you are certainly free to the first four choices insha'Allah khyer..

Just an addendum, I prefer the hamed spelling ending because people can play with the other spellings in a style that I dislike..
Hamed also mean thankful so no matter how you slice it, it is exquisite..

love_quran
07-27-2009, 02:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Just an addendum, I prefer the hamed spelling ending because people can play with the other spellings in a style that I dislike..
Hamed also mean thankful so no matter how you slice it, it is exquisite..
wow, that is a nice feature of that spelling..I will take it under consideration. :)

جوري
07-27-2009, 03:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by love_quran
wow, that is a nice feature of that spelling..I will take it under consideration. :)
sure my pleasure.. all the best whatever you choose insha'Allah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!