/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Jihad

jerryleeevans
07-24-2009, 08:02 AM
I was reading a daily Hadith I get on my Iphone, and it was saying that the greates deed is to die for Allah on the battlefield, and that Jihad in battle is greater than the Jihad of within. Is this correct? I've always been told that the greatest Jihad is the struggle within one's self.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- IqRa -
07-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Interesting. I would also like to know the answer to this InshaAllaah...

convert
07-24-2009, 10:45 AM
The jihad ul nafs hadith is an outright fabrication. There is a hadith in imam nawawi's 40 hadith where it mentions that "the peak of the matter [i.e. islam] is jihad". Jihad in sharia and terms means qital or fighting.

Ummu Sufyaan
07-24-2009, 12:20 PM
:sl:
The jihad ul nafs hadith is an outright fabrication.
doesn't mean that jihad ul-Nafs doesn't exist though:

Jihad al-nafs (jihad against one’s self) and jihad al-Shaytaan (jihad against the Shaytaan) are obligatory upon everyone who is accountable. Jihad against the munaafiqeen (hypocrites), kaafirs (disbelievers) and leaders of oppression and innovation is obligatory upon the community as a whole. Physical jihad (i.e. fighting) against the kaafirs may become an individual obligation upon everyone who is able to do it in certain circumstances, which will be described below.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Once this is understood, then jihad is of four kinds: Jihad al-nafs (jihad against one’s self), jihad al-Shaytaan (jihad against the Shaytaan), jihad against the kaafirs and jihad against the hypocrites.

Jihad al-nafs (jihad against one’s self) is of four kinds:

1 – Striving to learn the teachings of Islam without which one cannot attain success and happiness in this world or in the Hereafter; if this is missing then one is doomed to misery in this world and in the Hereafter.

2 – Striving to make oneself act in accordance with what one has learned. Simply knowing without acting, even though it may not cause any harm, is not going to bring any benefit.

3 – Striving to call others to Islam, teaching those who do not know about it. Otherwise one will be one of those who conceal that which Allaah has revealed of guidance and teaching, and it will not benefit him or save him from the punishment of Allaah.

4 – Striving to bear patiently the difficulties involved in calling people to Allaah and the insults of people; bearing all that for the sake of Allaah.

If a person achieves all these four levels, then he will be one of the rabbaaniyyeen (learned men of religion who practise what they know and also preach to others. Cf. Aal ‘Imraan 3:79). The salaf were agreed that the scholar does not deserve to be called a rabbaani unless he knows the truth, acts in accordance with it and teaches it to others. Whoever teaches, acts in accordance with his knowledge and has knowledge, he will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Jihad against the Shaytaan is of two types:

1 – Warding off the doubts that he stirs up to undermine faith.

2 – Striving against him to ward off the corrupt desires that he provokes.

The first jihad is followed by certainty of faith, and the second is followed by patience. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And We made from among them (Children of Israel), leaders, giving guidance under Our Command, when they were patient and used to believe with certainty in Our Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.)”

[al-Sajdah 32:24]

Allaah tells us that leadership in religion is attained through patience and certainty of faith. Patience wards off desires and certainty wards off doubts.
http://islam-qa.com/en/ref/20214/jihad

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
convert
07-24-2009, 12:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
:sl:

doesn't mean that jihad ul-Nafs doesn't exist though:

http://islam-qa.com/en/ref/20214/jihad
I never said it didn't exist. It is wrong to say it is the "greater jihad" though, that part is a forgery.

Clover
07-25-2009, 07:36 PM
What is Shaytaan?

aadil77
07-25-2009, 07:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Clover
What is Shaytaan?
satan

Clover
07-25-2009, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
satan
Ah, spank you.

Muslimlearner
07-28-2009, 06:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by convert
I never said it didn't exist. It is wrong to say it is the "greater jihad" though, that part is a forgery.
It is grater,bcos in the battlefield is tasted all other jihads-true or not?

BUT;we can't die in this Jihad,bcos there there is no united islamic land,khalifa and we are not in state of those jihad.

I pray to Allah SUT we all die as mugaheeds!

convert
07-29-2009, 12:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haqeeka'
It is grater,bcos in the battlefield is tasted all other jihads-true or not?

BUT;we can't die in this Jihad,bcos there there is no united islamic land,khalifa and we are not in state of those jihad.

I pray to Allah SUT we all die as mugaheeds!
I don't understand your question.

And no, jihad ul nafs is NOT greater than jihad bisayf

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.