/* */

PDA

View Full Version : women scholars

Ummu Sufyaan
08-03-2009, 09:16 AM
:sl:
  • some people say that because our scholars are mostly men, then the Law is dictated by them. therefore when it is said to observe the hijaab, etc, then this is a chauvinistic view and it is something they have come up with and not God's law--->counter argument, please.
  • has there been any female scholars? (would aesha radhiallahu anha been considered a scholar?)
  • is it haram/why isn't there female scholars?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
08-03-2009, 10:45 AM

has there been any female scholars? (would aesha radhiallahu anha been considered a scholar?)
There have been many female scholars, throught time. One such scholar of our time is Umm 'Abdillah al-Waadi’iyyah, daughter of Shaykh Muqbil rahimahullah.

Also this might be an interesting read; http://www.al-athariyyah.com/media/p...e_teachers.pdf

An article listing the female teachers of the great Historian of Islaam, Imaam Dhahabee (May Allaah have mercy upon him), taken from his own work Tareekh ul-Islaam Wa Wafayaat-ul-Mashaheer Wal-A'laam

S_87
08-03-2009, 11:04 AM
there are many female scholars, just not as prominent as male ones...and yes aisha radhiaallahu anha is not only considered a scholar but one of the leading scholars and many male sahabahs would go to her for rulings

'Abd-al Latif
08-03-2009, 04:56 PM
There were many female scholars in the past whom the men would travel and then sit at their feet to learn from them. I'll look up their names and write them here.

P.S I've got a lot going on and i'm busy with a lot of preoccupations, so in case I forget please remind me because I sometimes forget to reply to some threads.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
08-03-2009, 05:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
there are many female scholars, just not as prominent as male ones...and yes aisha radhiaallahu anha is not only considered a scholar but one of the leading scholars and many male sahabahs would go to her for rulings
They were MORE prominent! There were women who used to sit behind curtains while the teachers of the Madaris would teach hundreds, sometimes even thousands of students. These pious women (Allah reward them) used to sit behind the curtains and correct not just the students, but the TEACHERS during lessons.

rk9414
08-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Noble Women Scholars of Hadeeth
http://dc150.4shared.com/download/11...of_Hadeeth.pdf

Muslim Women Who Taught Their Husbands
http://dc150.4shared.com/download/11...r_Husbands.pdf

I'll try to find some more

adamtaufique
08-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Assalaamu Alaykum

Dr. Hisham al-Awadi has a series out entitled "Women Inspired by the Beloved". In one of the CD's, he discusses the topic "Women who Made Men" and makes a good list of female scholars who were in the past.

The set can be purchased from here:
http://islamicbookstore.com/a4939.html

UmmSqueakster
08-03-2009, 05:32 PM
wa alaikum assalam,

two books on my shelf:

Al-Muhaddithat : The Women Scholars in Islam - an english translation of the preface of a 40 volume dictionary of women who studied and taught hadith. Flipping to the index, there are almost 40 Fatimahs mentioned! That's a lot of Fatimahs :) Imagine how many more are in the 40 volume work that is only in arabic?

Muslim Women - A Biographical Dictionary - a book that lists hundreds of muslim women, many of whom were known as very religious and scholars. Just randomly opening a page, I find:

Hajar bint Muhammad (790/1389-847/1471) - a hadith scholar who studied several texts with several scholars, including al-Tanukhi and al-Amidi, as well as the notable women scholars of the time. She gave ijazas to several scholars. As-Suyuti studied the Risala of ash-Shafi'i with ehr.

جوري
08-03-2009, 05:53 PM
excellent thread.. I am subscribing...

:w:

Muhammad
08-03-2009, 06:22 PM
:wa:

format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
  • some people say that because our scholars are mostly men, then the Law is dictated by them. therefore when it is said to observe the hijaab, etc, then this is a chauvinistic view and it is something they have come up with and not God's law--->counter argument, please.
Why then, in the Qur'an, does it tell men to lower their gaze before it tells women to do so? If the law is dictated by men, why are there many rulings in Islam that serve to protect the rights of women and enjoin treating them with kindness, which the pre-Islamic Arabs neglected? For instance,

O you who believe! You are forbidden to inherit women against their will; and you should not treat them with harshness, that you may take away part of the Mahr you have given them, unless they commit open illegal sexual intercourse; and live with them honourably. If you dislike them, it may be that you dislike a thing and Allah brings through it a great deal of good. [4:19]

The law is not dictated by anyone other than Allaah (swt) and His Final Prophet :saws:, and any time someone says something that contradicts this divine law, then their saying is rejected.

Regarding women scholars - some of the teachers of Shaykhul Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (may Allah have mercy upon him), one of the most famous scholars of Islam, were women.

Also see these threads regarding women scholars:

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...t-history.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...rs-hadith.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...men-islam.html

:w:

Khaldun
08-04-2009, 06:50 AM

It is good that you mentioned Shaykh-ul-Islaam Ibn Tayymiyyah brother Muhammad, any one who researches about his name might be pleasantly suprised to find out that Tayymiyyah is a womans name not a mans name, but then why is his surename that of a woman and not a man?

Abdu-l-Majeed
08-05-2009, 11:10 AM
  • has there been any female scholars? (would aesha radhiallahu anha been considered a scholar?)
:wasalamex

Just today I saw on a Bosnian web site an article about 'Aisha, radiyAllahu anha, and there it mentions this:

Ata', rahimahullah, says: Aisha had the best understanding of fiqh, most learned and and the most correct views overall. (Al Ijabah, p. 56) - Ata' is a famous tabi'i, he met the four famous Abdullahs (al-'abadialatul-arba'a), as well as Mu'awiya, Jabir and others.

Hafiz Muhammad ibn Shihhab az-Zuhru said that Aisha's knowledge was better then that of all other women altogether! (Al-Ijabah, p. 56) - Az-Zuhri was a famous tabi'i who met a large number of companions of Allah's Messenger, sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, hearing hadith from them, such as: Ibn Umar, Abdullah ibn Jafar, Sahl b. Sa'd, Anas b. Malik, Jabir b. Abdullah etc.

As brothers and sisters already mentioned there were female scholars. It was interesting to me that Ibn Taymiyya also had female teachers.

Al Mu'minaat
09-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Aslamalkium wa rahmautlah wa barakatu..

Subhanlah sister.. for a fact Aisha (r.a) was the first scholar in islam.. she learnt a lot of knowledge from rasoul allah (p.b.u.h).

Yooh know the sahaba when they wanted help in the deen or to seek knowledge. they'll actually go to aisha (r.A) and ask her what did the prophet (p.b.u.h) ....behind her viel..

I hope that answers your question...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.