/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on what to study at uni..

Allaah Knows
08-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Assalaamu`alaykum wrwb

I need to start applying for uni this year inshaALlaah and I still don't know what to do. I should be drafting my personal statement now. I've spoken to careers advisers and teachers etc. and they don't help much to be honest. I've found that the best advice I've ever received has been from my own Muslim brothers and sisters. :hmm:

I want to do a degree that will benefit me in my Deen and help the Ummah in some way, however little. I don't want to do the whole degree and then end up in a job just for the sake of it, that I don't even enjoy- if that's the case, I don't want a degree at all.

I had my heart set on a degree in arabic but the two nearest universities that offer the course are in London and Manchester, which aren't brilliant locations. And if I put them down as two of my choices, I would have to apply fo another course for my remainder choices...that would make my personal statement difficult.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Wassalaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
celina
08-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Aslam sister hope you are well.

Have you ever though of doing a degree in childcare, its rewarding because you get to spend time with children and less contact with men. I think you should give it a thought. Let me know how you get on. PS I have worked with children with special needs and found it is good for duniya and deen.

Hope you get on well. InshAllah.

Allaah Knows
08-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Wa`alaykum salaam wa rahmatuLlaah sister

I do love children and look after a few myself (including a special needs child) but never thought of taking a degree in it. I never did anything relating to it at A Level or GCSE though...like childcare or health and social etc. so I'm not sure if a degree would be a good idea ? I will look nto it though.

JazaakiLlaahu khayr sis

Tony
08-04-2009, 10:01 PM
We really need social workers sister

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhammad
08-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalaam Warahmatullaahi Wabarakaatuh,

format_quote Originally Posted by Allaah Knows
I want to do a degree that will benefit me in my Deen and help the Ummah in some way, however little.
Alhamdulillah, it's good that you have this goal. It's important to have a good intention behind such things because this can actually turn them into acts of worship for the sake of Allaah (swt).

I had my heart set on a degree in arabic but the two nearest universities that offer the course are in London and Manchester, which aren't brilliant locations. And if I put them down as two of my choices, I would have to apply fo another course for my remainder choices...that would make my personal statement difficult.
Not all your choices have to be similar. You should make your personal statement geared towards your main choices, and as for the other choices, you can phone the universities and they will tell you what they want. Some of them may ask you to write a seperate personal statement and send it via email, or something similar to this. Check this with your careers advisors or UCAS Insha'Allaah.

Another thing to consider is distance learning courses - perhaps there is something for Arabic?

Have you considered degrees like Midwifery, Paediatric Nursing or becoming a primary school/nursery teacher? Regarding the last option, you could aim to work in an Islamic school...

The best advice is to make lots of du'a and perform Istikharah before you make any decision. Try to do your research well regarding what the course will be like, the university, the career prospects etc. Here's a site which might help:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowP...e_page/p!eLaXi

:w:

iamdaguy
08-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Wcs, sister

Insha allah, Allah will make it easier for you.

Faye
08-04-2009, 11:25 PM
What sort of career do you intend to enter with an Arabic degree, Sis Allah Knows?

Strzelecki
08-05-2009, 07:07 AM
How about this?
It's a big decision.
Don't rush into it.
Take another year to think about it.

The drop out rate from people going to uni ASAP because they're thinking it's expected of them is ridiculous.

Can I ask why applying this year is so important?

Abdu-l-Majeed
08-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Assalaamu`alaykum wrwb

I need to start applying for uni this year inshaALlaah and I still don't know what to do. I should be drafting my personal statement now. I've spoken to careers advisers and teachers etc. and they don't help much to be honest. I've found that the best advice I've ever received has been from my own Muslim brothers and sisters. :hmm:

I want to do a degree that will benefit me in my Deen and help the Ummah in some way, however little. I don't want to do the whole degree and then end up in a job just for the sake of it, that I don't even enjoy- if that's the case, I don't want a degree at all.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Wassalaam
Wa alaykumus-Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh!

Ma sha Allah, ukhtee, it's great to hear someone thinking like you! :thumbs_up In sha Allah, the Ummah's state will be better as soon as we have more brothers and sisters thinking like you.

You should have a detailed description of all courses on an uni, because sometimes something appears great, but in the end you'll at least dislike it, if not hate it. :D That almost happened with me, but due to some strange circumstances I got out. :D

You may consider:

... studying islamic sciences,

... or think about teaching in a girls's school, then you have maybe more choices. I opt for computer sciences. :D

... or maybe something that you can easily do from home, or something with children.

Here's a nasheed that motivates me a lot: http://iskandrani.wordpress.com/2009...e-strong-wind/

Allaah Knows
08-05-2009, 10:33 PM
JazaakumuLlaahu khayr for your help

format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Some of them may ask you to write a seperate personal statement and send it via email, or something similar to this. Check this with your careers advisors or UCAS Insha'Allaah.
I didn't know this. It would be ideal if I could do separate personal statements. I will check inshaALlaah.
Another thing to consider is distance learning courses - perhaps there is something for Arabic?
This is the case for a lot of the arabic courses (unfortunately!) and I know for sure I won't be allowed to travel abroad for a year because I don't have a mahram to go with so there's no point in even considering these courses. But alhamduliLlaah, I have found a 3 year full time degree course I'm going to research more on inshaALlaah.

Have you considered degrees like Midwifery, Paediatric Nursing or becoming a primary school/nursery teacher? Regarding the last option, you could aim to work in an Islamic school...
I'm always happy to hear a muslimah wanting to study midwifery because we need muslimah midwives and this is going to sound terrible but I'm not sure if I can myself.
I did think about paediatric nursing at one point but it was merely a passing thought. I will look into it more inshaAllaah now that you've mentioned it. I do like the idea of teaching very much and am considering it.

The best advice is to make lots of du'a and perform Istikharah before you make any decision. Try to do your research well regarding what the course will be like, the university, the career prospects etc. Here's a site which might help:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowP...e_page/p!eLaXi

JazaakAllaahu khayr. I'm praying istikhaarah. It is a big step for me and I wouldn't dream of making such a decision without asking Allaah :arabic2: for His guidance!

format_quote Originally Posted by Faye
What sort of career do you intend to enter with an Arabic degree, Sis Allah Knows?
I don't intend anyhting just yet to be honest. These are just thoughts I'm making known so I can gain advice on dos and don'ts etc. Im thinking with a degree in arabic and english lang I can teach either. Where I'm from, there s definitely a demand for female arabic teachers. We were so grateful we finally found one who could teach us, alhamdulillah. And also, with a deeper understanding of the arabic lang I can read and study kitaabs that haven't been translated- and those which have are not the same. English lacks the richness of the arabic language. And also, Allaah ta'aalaa Knows best what will happen to me in the future...but I don't want to stay here in england all my life. I want to travel to Muslim lands. Arabic and eng lang degree could come in useful as I could teach abroad in countries where children are deprived of education. Allaah Knows Best.

format_quote Originally Posted by Sayf Udeen
How about this?
It's a big decision.
Don't rush into it.

The drop out rate from people going to uni ASAP because they're thinking it's expected of them is ridiculous.

Can I ask why applying this year is so important?
I already have waited a year. I'm 18, not 17- will be 19 by next summer inshaaAllaah. Even now the thought of livng away from home alone terrifies me but it's something I'm going to have to learn to grow out of. When I was younger I never thought I'd live to this age so I never used to think about what I want to do when I'm older. But time flies and here I am. I don't know how long I'm at the dunya for. I need to start making decisions . I'm no longer a child and I can't expect people to do things for me.

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdu-l-Majeed
Wa alaykumus-Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh!

Ma sha Allah, ukhtee, it's great to hear someone thinking like you! :thumbs_up In sha Allah, the Ummah's state will be better as soon as we have more brothers and sisters thinking like you.

You should have a detailed description of all courses on an uni, because sometimes something appears great, but in the end you'll at least dislike it, if not hate it. :D That almost happened with me, but due to some strange circumstances I got out. :D

You may consider:

... studying islamic sciences,

... or think about teaching in a girls's school, then you have maybe more choices. I opt for computer sciences. :D

... or maybe something that you can easily do from home, or something with children.

Here's a nasheed that motivates me a lot: http://iskandrani.wordpress.com/2009...e-strong-wind/
Would love to study Islamic sciences. Would love to scrap the idea of uni and study at an Islaamic school. But realistically speaking, I know that would be a no. So I have to make do with what I'm allowed to do. I'm not keen on studying Islaam at university (in U.K.) at all. No disrespect to the lecturers whatsoever but it's not traditional. It's all too professional and modern. I don't want a "BA" in Islaamic studies. I would rather learn Islaam from a Shaykh in a run down building with nothing to write on but scrap paper. InshaAllaah I am considering teaching at a girl's school.

jazaakALlaahu khayr

Allaah Knows
08-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Sisters, I would love to know what you've decided to study at university and what career paths you've taken and what you would recommend.

I know with teaching it's convenient when you have a fam because you get the same holidays as you're children etc. and the hours are better. Also, the environment (esp if it's an all girls' school) is a lot safer and less free mixing f any. And you get to observe hijaab. AlhamduliLlaah.

Muhammad
08-05-2009, 10:51 PM
:sl:

Wa iyyaak Insha'Allaah.

This is the case for a lot of the arabic courses (unfortunately!) and I know for sure I won't be allowed to travel abroad for a year because I don't have a mahram to go with so there's no point in even considering these courses. But alhamduliLlaah, I have found a 3 year full time degree course I'm going to research more on inshaALlaah.
I think you misunderstood about distance learning courses - they're courses you can do while at home. It's mainly over the internet and the university sends you material you need. I don't know that much about them though, but it's something you can look into Insha'Allaah.

It's a big decision.
Don't rush into it.
It is a big decision, but I think the sooner a decision is reached the better. Taking a year out just to decide which course to do is not a good idea in my opinion, unless the person is willing to undertake work experience and can make the most of that year to guide them in their career plans. You have until January 2010 (unless you're considering medicine/dentistry/vet science) till the UCAS deadline, and even then, you can add choices well into the next year.

The Ruler
08-05-2009, 10:56 PM
I don't know if this has been said before, the posts above are far too long for me to skim over, but you don't have to have 5 choices. A friend of mine only applied to one, which she luckily got a place for.

Allaah Knows
08-05-2009, 11:15 PM
:sl:

I think you misunderstood about distance learning courses - they're courses you can do while at home. It's mainly over the internet and the university sends you material you need. I don't know that much about them though, but it's something you can look into Insha'Allaah.

wa`alaukum salaam wa rahmatuLlaah

Whoops..i understand now. I know a couple of sisters who are studying this way. But I find it difficult to.

format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
I don't know if this has been said before, the posts above are far too long for me to skim over, but you don't have to have 5 choices. A friend of mine only applied to one, which she luckily got a place for.
I want to make the most of all the 5 choices available. If I only applied for one and got rejected, I'd be back to phase one again.

(apologies for the extremely long post- got carried away)

Abdu-l-Majeed
08-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Would love to study Islamic sciences. Would love to scrap the idea of uni and study at an Islaamic school. But realistically speaking, I know that would be a no. So I have to make do with what I'm allowed to do. I'm not keen on studying Islaam at university (in U.K.) at all. No disrespect to the lecturers whatsoever but it's not traditional. It's all too professional and modern. I don't want a "BA" in Islaamic studies. I would rather learn Islaam from a Shaykh in a run down building with nothing to write on but scrap paper. InshaAllaah I am considering teaching at a girl's school.

jazaakALlaahu khayr
Ameen, ukht, wa iyyaki! May Allah guide to the decision which is the best for you.

I'm sorry I can give only general advices, I don't live in UK at all, and the education system here is quite different...

The Ruler
08-06-2009, 04:58 PM
I want to make the most of all the 5 choices available. If I only applied for one and got rejected, I'd be back to phase one again.
Courses in Arabic aren't particularly competitive. So long as you get their minimum required grades, there's a high likelihood of being accepted. And there are almost always places available in Arabic and Islamic Studies when others go through clearance.

Even if you do get rejected from both, you can apply via Extra, though I'm not entirely sure how that works, but my friend got a place in BioMedical Science that way.

UmmSqueakster
08-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

I'm not sure how school works there in the UK, but here in the US, students don't have to declare a major for awhile. Would it be possible to take a variety of courses your first year, to see what you like?

My sister changed majors a dozen times at least, and ended up triple majoring in History, Geography and Poli Sci (I think, I couldn't keep track, lol).

I have a major in Poli Sci with an emphasis on religious studies. However, my last semester of my senior year, I took a forestry class to fulfill the science requirement and I was very sad I hadn't taken it sooner, as it was quite interesting and possibly something I would have liked to study more.

Allaah Knows
08-07-2009, 09:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Janaan
Assalamu Alaikum,

I'm not sure how school works there in the UK, but here in the US, students don't have to declare a major for awhile. Would it be possible to take a variety of courses your first year, to see what you like?

My sister changed majors a dozen times at least, and ended up triple majoring in History, Geography and Poli Sci (I think, I couldn't keep track, lol).

I have a major in Poli Sci with an emphasis on religious studies. However, my last semester of my senior year, I took a forestry class to fulfill the science requirement and I was very sad I hadn't taken it sooner, as it was quite interesting and possibly something I would have liked to study more.
Wa`alaykum salaam wa rahmatuLlaah

JazaakiLlaahu khayr for replying sister even though you are from the U.S.
and everyone else, I'd rep you all but I'm not sure how!

I'm just going to see what happens inshaaAllaah and take every oppurtunity that comes my way. Allaah :arabic2: is the Best of Planners.

Ar-RaYYan
08-07-2009, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tony
We really need social workers sister
^ thats exactly what i was going to suggest. We really do need a lot muslim social workers!

Naz!
08-26-2009, 02:06 PM
I was just surfing through the net and came across this genius of a website. Firstly, Ramadhan Mubarak to all and a kind request to remember the Ummah in your duas at iftaar.

Sister, funnily enough i am in exactly the same position as you. I will be turning 19 this December and i have Uni choices to make. I wanted to study Arabic as its one of my passions but i don't think id be allowed. My first piece of advice is to do istikhaarah. Allah knows you the best and he knows what is best for you.

I wanted to do Combined honors at UCLAN Psychology and Arabic, but i was advised not to do Psychology by a scholar.

However, im still going through UCAS trying to find whats right for me. Its just nice to know im not alone! Lol.

Inshallah, the last decision we make will be the utmost correct one.

mahfuja
08-26-2009, 02:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Naz!
I wanted to do Combined honors at UCLAN Psychology and Arabic, but i was advised not to do Psychology by a scholar.

Just out of curiosity what was his reason for advising you this?

Ameen sis

noorseeker
08-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Sister, become a teacher, in a islamic school. that way you are helping the ummah

Allaah Knows
09-25-2009, 10:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Naz!
I was just surfing through the net and came across this genius of a website. Firstly, Ramadhan Mubarak to all and a kind request to remember the Ummah in your duas at iftaar.

Sister, funnily enough i am in exactly the same position as you. I will be turning 19 this December and i have Uni choices to make. I wanted to study Arabic as its one of my passions but i don't think id be allowed. My first piece of advice is to do istikhaarah. Allah knows you the best and he knows what is best for you.

However, im still going through UCAS trying to find whats right for me. Its just nice to know im not alone! Lol.

Salaam sister,

Are you still around?

format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar
Sister, become a teacher, in a islamic school. that way you are helping the ummah
I think that's what I'm going to do, if Allaah (Ta'aalaa) Wills

Rasema
09-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Assalmu Alaikum

I haven't read the posts by others so I might be repeating the same thing.

Once you make a decicion make sure to check with a scholar If your career would be and is halal. For example, in dentistry I would have to make sure to deny doing procedures that make peoples teeth look ...

And be realistic. My passion is writing but it"s not something guaranteed. Medical feald is the best to go into,in my opinion.

Wa alaikum salam

FLORANDA
09-27-2009, 07:36 PM

I had my heart set on a degree in arabic

Wassalaam
:wa:
my sister just study what do u like:statisfie
i study medicine in saudi and i have to work in hospital where i find men and women:hmm: the important thing is my hejab:muslimah:
i like my fild :statisfie and i heared that is ok if u want really to help and u dont find another chooses>> from imam Abdulaziz Ebn baz
choose what do u want :statisfie

FLORANDA
09-27-2009, 07:38 PM
i foregt if u need any help in Arabic i can help u U RE WELCOME

Allaah Knows
12-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Wa`alaykum salaam wrwb

Jazaakillaahu khayran sister Floranda, that's very sweet mashaAllaah

Anyways, UCAS is sent off now alhamdulillah...whatever happens is qadrAllaah, good or bad, twas never going to miss me

Out of curiosity, anyone not sent of their UCAS yet?

I<3Bush
12-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Why not just take some classes that interest you as electives and find what interests you that way? Kind of like a trial and error sort of thing. Even if the classes you take don't interest you, you will still get credit for them, or at least that is how it works around here.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.