/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Suffering from Sleep Paralysis, which means ''bakhtak'' in Persian. Please help

AlexJ90
08-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Sleep paralysis can be seen here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Its basically your brain awaking from sleep but your body still sleep. Its so scary that i have troubles sleeping. The experience is something i dont want to go through again. Please help is there a du'a, or a special surah in the quran to prevent this?

I can see that In the Muslim culture of South Asia (Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Indian Muslims), sleep paralysis is considered an encounter with evil jinns and demons. It is also assumed that it is caused by the black magic performed by enemies and jealous persons.

Is that true? If so how do i prevent it.

Please help brothers

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
touba
08-14-2009, 02:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlexIslam

Its basically your brain awaking from sleep but your body still sleep. Its so scary that i have troubles sleeping. The experience is something i dont want to go through again. Please help is there a du'a, or a special surah in the quran to prevent this?

I can see that In the Muslim culture of South Asia (Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Indian Muslims), sleep paralysis is considered an encounter with evil jinns and demons. It is also assumed that it is caused by the black magic performed by enemies and jealous persons.

Please help brothers
please pm me

AlexJ90
08-14-2009, 02:07 PM
brother i would PM you but this site has a pathetic rule and tells me Sorry, you can only send Private Messages to members of staff. In order to send Private Messages to other users, you need to be a full member which means that you need to have 50 or more posts. So start posting away!

thats silly.

noorseeker
08-14-2009, 03:48 PM
bro i know what you mean it is scary when you go through it , i had i t a few times, but with me i felt my soul come out my body and float around

inshallah it will go naturally

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ژاله
08-14-2009, 03:52 PM
^ may Allah grant you complete shifaa ameen. recite surah fatiha inshallah,the remedy for every disease.

Snowflake
08-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Fear not my fellow muslims. Protect yourself by seeking protection from Allah.

Listen to the lectures and follow the Prophet's teachings on how to guard yourselves, inshaAllah.

http://www.missionislam.com/health/quranhealing.html

abu_musab461
08-17-2009, 02:28 AM
There are two opnions i've come across one is medical the other one is spiritual

Continuing on from above, alhamdulillah i "accidentally" came across this fatwa on Islam Q&A....

What is al-Jathoom?

We often hear about al-Jathoom, which is a jinni that sits (yajthum) on a person’s chest if he has been neglecting prayer or other duties. Is there anything in the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that mentions that? Or is it a myth and fable?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Al-Jathoom is the kaboos (incubus, evil spirit, nightmare) that descends upon a person in his sleep.

Ibn al-Manzoor said:

Al-Jathaam or al-Jathoom is the kaboos that descends upon a person at night… the one that descends upon a person when he is sleeping is called al-jathoom.

Lisaan al-‘Arab (12/83)

He also said:

The kaboos is the one that descends upon the sleeper at night. And it was said that it is the precursor to epilepsy. One of the linguists said: I do not think that it is an Arabic word; rather it is al-naydalaan; it is also known as al-barook or al-jathoom.

Lisaan al-‘Arab (6/190).

Secondly:

The “jathoom” may be caused by a physical reason, such as eating too much or taking too much medicine, or it may be due to being overpowered by the jinn. The former may be treated by cupping and reducing the intake of food etc. The latter may be treated by means of the Qur’aan and reciting dhikrs that are prescribed in Islam.

Ibn Seena said in his medical book al-Qanoon:

Chapter on al-kaboos:

It is also called al-khaaniq (the strangler), and in Arabic it is also called al-jathoom and al-naydalaan.

Al-kaboos is a disease that a person feels when he is falling asleep and imagines something heavy pressing upon him, squeezing him and constricting his breathing, hence he cannot speak or move, and he is almost suffocated because of the obstruction of his airway. When it goes away, he wakes up immediately. This is the precursor to one of three things: epilepsy, apoplexy or mania. That applies if it is due to physical causes and there is no other non-physical cause. End quote.

Modern doctors say likewise. Dr. Hassaan Shamsi Basha has divided kaboos into two categories: temporary kaboos and recurrent kaboos; he regards the former as being due to physical causes and the latter as being due to the effect of the jinn.

He says in his book al-Nawm wa’l-Araq wa’l-Ahlaam (sleep, insomnia and dreams):

1) Temporary kaboos:

This happens for two reasons:

A- Vapours that rise to the brain through the breathing channels when first falling asleep, so the person afflicted feels that he cannot move or speak, or he feels a kind of panic. This is the precursor of a physical epileptic seizure, and it also happens when one is exposed to psychological pressures.

B- Administration of medicines that can cause kaboos such as:

(i) Arazrabine

(ii) Beta blockers

(iii) Lifod B

(iv) Antidepressants

(v) After stopping the use of tranquillizers such as valium.

2) Recurrent kaboos. This kind of kaboos indicates that a person has been harmed by evil spirits. End quote.

Conclusion:

Jathoom refers to kaboos, which is not a myth or fable, rather it is something real that does happen; it may be caused by physical factors or it may be caused by the jinn.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/75612/

abu_musab461
08-17-2009, 02:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlexIslam

Please help brothers

Jazak Allah khair my brother for sharing this experience. It's even more beautiful to see that rather than turing this in a exaggerated fairy tale, like most people do with jinn stories, you seem to be stating it as it is.

And you also draw lessons from them, That's what i like.

So what exactly happened to you?

I think it's called sleep paralysis- where an external jinn (in the house) comes a sits on your chest or your back and casues you to feel paralysis

(ps. Sleeping on the stomach is haram, the messenger of Allah (pbuh) said, ‘Do not lie in this manner, for it is a way of lying that Allaah hates.’ )

In majority of the cases of these situation the shaytan ties to attack a person just as they are falling asleep, or juat about to wake up, or even in deep sleep, because these are the times where the mind is in a state of weakness and thats when your most suseptible...

In this case it seems like the external jinn was going as far as trying to posses you.

You should have read ayat al kursi if you could soon as that happened. It can happen to any of us!! So what should we do?

Protect our selves of course!!

Is it better to prevent these experiences all together rather than to try over come them when they happen?

But jinns can't be seen!

Everyone knows jinns are invisible and can't be seen, so what did the brother experience when he said he saw something "cloudy"?

Jinns can shape shift and can take form of a mist or light etc.

(Ps. don't become paranoid- jinns are afraid of the believers)

How can we protect our self?

Shaytaan who is trying his hardest to prevent people from following the true religion and keep them away from their Lord Whom they worship, and he wants to cause grief to the believers. But his plots against the pious close friends of Allaah are weak and insignificant, especially against those who fortify themselves with ruqya as prescribed in sharee’ah day and night.
Secondly:
You should note that the best way in which the Muslim can protect himself against the Shaytaan is to remember Allaah. According to the hadeeth narrated by al-Tirmidhi (2863), Allaah commanded Yahya ibn Zakariyya (peace be upon him) to tell the Children of Israel to do five things, including the following:

“I command you to remember Allaah, for the likeness of that is that of a man who enemy comes after him, until he comes to a strong fortress where he protects himself from him. Similarly, a person cannot protect himself against the Shaytaan except by remembering Allaah.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmdihi.

If the Muslim fears Allaah in all his affairs, and adheres to that which Allaah has commanded and avoids that which He has forbidden, and he constantly remembers Allaah, praying and fasting and other kinds of worship, and he fortifies himself by reading Qur’aan night and day, out loud and silently, and he regularly recites the wirds and dhikrs prescribed in Islam for the morning and evening, and when eating, drinking, getting dressed and going to sleep, then the Shaytaan will go away from him, blameworthy and defeated, and will have no power to do anything to him.

How can it be otherwise when Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Those who believe, fight in the Cause of Allaah, and those who disbelieve, fight in the cause of Taaghoot (Satan). So fight you against the friends of Shaytaan (Satan); ever feeble indeed is the plot of Shaytaan (Satan)”
[al-Nisa’ 4:76]

The Shaytaan only comes close to those who are far away from their religion and Qur’aan. The Shaytaan may try to divert the righteous from the straight path, in order to ruin their lives and religious commitment and worldly interests. But protection may be sought against him in the manner described above. You can also refer to the books of dhikr such as al-Adhkaar by al-Nawawi; ‘Aml al-Yawm wa’l-Laylah by al-Nasaa’i; ‘Aml al-Yawm wa’l-Laylah by Ibn al-Sunni; and other books of dhikr that deal with this topic, or books of Sunan in general. If you do that we hope that your situation will improve and you will find peace of mind, and Allaah will change your situation to a better one.
Among the dhikrs with which we advise you to recite regularly are the following:
1 – Adhkaar for morning and evening.

(a) Reciting every evening the words, “A’oodhu bi kalimaat Allaah il-taammah min sharri ma khalaqa (I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allaah from the evil of that which He has created).”
It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: A man came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, “O Messenger of Allaah, I am suffering because of a scorpion that stung me yesterday.” He said, “If you had said in the evening, A’oodhu bi kalimaat Allaah il-taammah min sharri ma khalaqa (I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allaah from the evil of that which He has created),’ it would not have harmed you.
Narrated by Muslim.

Indeed, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) encouraged us to say that in every place where we stop (when travelling).
It was narrated that Khawlah bint Hakeem al-Salamiyyah said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Whoever makes a stop in some place, then says, ‘A’oodhu bi kalimaat Allaah il-taammah min sharri ma khalaqa (I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allaah from the evil of that which He has created),’ nothing will harm him until he moves on from that place.”
Narrated by Muslim, 2708.

(b) It was narrated that ‘Uthmaan ibn ‘Affaan (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no person who says in the morning and evening of each day, ‘Bismillaah illaahi laa yadurru ma’a ismihi shay’un fi’l-ard wa la fi’l-sama’ wa huwa al-samee’ ul-‘aleem (In the name of Allaah with Whose name nothing is harmed on earth nor in heaven, and He is the All-Hearing, All-Knowing)’ three times, but nothing will harm him.”
Narrated and classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi, 3388; also narrated by Ibn Maajah, 3869. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah.

(c) Reciting Aayat al-Kursiy and al-Mu’awwidhaat before going to sleep.
It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) put me in charge of guarding the zakaah of Ramadaan. Someone came to me and started grabbing handfuls of the food. I took hold of him and said, ‘I will take you to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).’ He said, ‘I will teach you some words by means of which Allaah will benefit you.’ I said, ‘What are they?’ He said, ‘When you go to your bed, recite this aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Allaah! Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), Al-Hayyul-Qayyoom (the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists)…” [al-Baqarah 2:255] – until he completed the aayah. Then Allaah will appoint a guard for you who will stay with you and no shaytaan (devil) will come near you until morning.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) asked me, ‘What did your prisoner do last night?’ I said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, he taught me something, and claimed that Allaah would benefit me by it.’ He said, ‘What was it?’ I said, ‘He taught me to recite Aayat al-Kursiy when I go to bed, and said that no shaytaan would come near me until morning, and that Allaah would appoint a guard for me who would stay with me.’ The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘He told you the truth, although he is an inveterate liar. That was the Shaytaan.’”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3101; Muslim, 505.

There are many such dhikrs; we do not have room to mention them all here.

(Extract from Islam Q & A by shiekh salih munajjid (hf))

Also read the last two verses of Surah Baqrah

"Whoever recites the last two verses of surah baqrah they will be sufficient for him (as a protection)" (hadith)

Make sure you do the adkhar sitting up (so you don't fall asleep) and dont give them a chance to possess you!!!

Alphadude
08-19-2009, 01:58 AM
why does every 1 think it could be shaytaans work or jins envolved huh

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...leep-paralysis

abu_musab461
08-19-2009, 02:12 AM
I agree with you because some scholars like Salman alawda said its medical got nothing to do with jinn (which i dont deny) but others like Salih Munajjid said its jinn related (which cant be denied either)

Question: Our daughter is having strange experiences during sleep. She complains of feeling something pressing down on her chest which paralyzes her entire body. She cannot even speak. This stops and starts throughout the night. It happens so frequently that she has become depressed and angry. We feel that this is an attack from the Jinn and we want to know what she can do about it.

Answered by the Scientific Research Committee - IslamToday.net

These symptoms should not be construed as an attack from the Jinn. This is a very common problem. It is a condition known as sleep paralysis (SP).

Sleep paralysis is defined as a condition in which someone, usually lying in a supine position, about to drop off to sleep, or just upon waking from sleep, realizes that he is unable to move, speak, or cry out. Many complain that they try to recite Âyah al-Kursî but are unable to do so. People in this condition are often beset by feelings of fear or dread and frequently try, unsuccessfully, to cry out. After seconds or minutes, they feel suddenly released from the paralysis, but may be left with a lingering sense of anxiety.

Many people experience this sensation while falling asleep or as they are waking up and it can cause them discomfort. Some people describe it to be as if they feel as if someone is sitting on their chest.

Common secondary symptoms of this condition are as follows:

* A feeling of being choked or suffocated
* A feeling of being pinned down or sat upon (particularly in the chest area)
* Auditory hallucinations, typically the sounds of footsteps and voices nearby or knocking or banging on the walls
* Visual hallucinations, typically beings or dark shadows surrounding or standing near the bed
* A frightening feeling of descending or encompassing evil or dread
* Shaking of the body or a rumbling sensation (ringing) in the ears
* A feeling of intense, suffocating evil
* A feeling of being in a dream-like state while at the same time sensing being awake

The source of this phenomenon is a natural bodily function. When you sleep, your brain shuts off the signals coming from your muscles so you do not get up and act out your dreams. This is to prevent you from injuring yourself in your sleep. For some reason, people with sleep paralysis come into consciousness before the brain returns voluntary control back to the muscles, creating a sense of feeling paralyzed. This sensation is quite uncomfortable and understandably frightening, which can lead the not wholly conscious person to experience some of the secondary symptoms of this disorder that can often be very frightening and realistic.

None of what you describe is strange, peculiar, or in the least bit exceptional. It is a benign condition. Several recent surveys suggest that between 25-30% of people have experienced at least a mild form of sleep paralysis at least once and about 20-30% of these people have experienced it on several occasions.

However, if it is a frequent problem for you that is impairing your sleep or causing you discomfort, then you should seek medical attention for it. There are actually many treatments and prescriptions for this condition.

Doctors suggest that getting on a regular sleep schedule and avoiding sleep deprivation are helpful in alleviating this condition.

And Allah knows best.

http://www.islamtoday.com/show_detai...main_cat_id=18

---------------------------------------------------------

What is al-Jathoom?

We often hear about al-Jathoom, which is a jinni that sits (yajthum) on a person’s chest if he has been neglecting prayer or other duties. Is there anything in the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that mentions that? Or is it a myth and fable?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Al-Jathoom is the kaboos (incubus, evil spirit, nightmare) that descends upon a person in his sleep.

Ibn al-Manzoor said:

Al-Jathaam or al-Jathoom is the kaboos that descends upon a person at night… the one that descends upon a person when he is sleeping is called al-jathoom.

Lisaan al-‘Arab (12/83)

He also said:

The kaboos is the one that descends upon the sleeper at night. And it was said that it is the precursor to epilepsy. One of the linguists said: I do not think that it is an Arabic word; rather it is al-naydalaan; it is also known as al-barook or al-jathoom.

Lisaan al-‘Arab (6/190).

Secondly:

The “jathoom” may be caused by a physical reason, such as eating too much or taking too much medicine, or it may be due to being overpowered by the jinn. The former may be treated by cupping and reducing the intake of food etc. The latter may be treated by means of the Qur’aan and reciting dhikrs that are prescribed in Islam.

Ibn Seena said in his medical book al-Qanoon:

Chapter on al-kaboos:

It is also called al-khaaniq (the strangler), and in Arabic it is also called al-jathoom and al-naydalaan.

Al-kaboos is a disease that a person feels when he is falling asleep and imagines something heavy pressing upon him, squeezing him and constricting his breathing, hence he cannot speak or move, and he is almost suffocated because of the obstruction of his airway. When it goes away, he wakes up immediately. This is the precursor to one of three things: epilepsy, apoplexy or mania. That applies if it is due to physical causes and there is no other non-physical cause. End quote.

Modern doctors say likewise. Dr. Hassaan Shamsi Basha has divided kaboos into two categories: temporary kaboos and recurrent kaboos; he regards the former as being due to physical causes and the latter as being due to the effect of the jinn.

He says in his book al-Nawm wa’l-Araq wa’l-Ahlaam (sleep, insomnia and dreams):

1) Temporary kaboos:

This happens for two reasons:

A- Vapours that rise to the brain through the breathing channels when first falling asleep, so the person afflicted feels that he cannot move or speak, or he feels a kind of panic. This is the precursor of a physical epileptic seizure, and it also happens when one is exposed to psychological pressures.

B- Administration of medicines that can cause kaboos such as:

(i) Arazrabine

(ii) Beta blockers

(iii) Lifod B

(iv) Antidepressants

(v) After stopping the use of tranquillizers such as valium.

2) Recurrent kaboos. This kind of kaboos indicates that a person has been harmed by evil spirits. End quote.

Conclusion:

Jathoom refers to kaboos, which is not a myth or fable, rather it is something real that does happen; it may be caused by physical factors or it may be caused by the jinn.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/75612/

abu_musab461
08-19-2009, 02:14 AM
* A feeling of being choked or suffocated
* A feeling of being pinned down or sat upon (particularly in the chest area)
* Auditory hallucinations, typically the sounds of footsteps and voices nearby or knocking or banging on the walls
* Visual hallucinations, typically beings or dark shadows surrounding or standing near the bed
* A frightening feeling of descending or encompassing evil or dread
* Shaking of the body or a rumbling sensation (ringing) in the ears
* A feeling of intense, suffocating evil
* A feeling of being in a dream-like state while at the same time sensing being awake

ironically enough these are also some symptoms of jinn possession.

Alphadude
08-19-2009, 03:05 AM
when i was a kid i had a problem like this but know nothing while i was a sleep i was having a realy horrible nightmare but i try to scream or move but i couldnt my granma said it was a jin sitting on my chest lol and wasnt letting me but its old stories know days science has the solution

Ramadhan
08-20-2009, 07:15 AM
I experience a few episodes of these sleep paralyses myself. It's very very scary.
apart from the suggestions made in previous posts and having regular sleeping schedule, I also heard that getting quick afternoon naps would also alleviate the problem.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.