/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What do you know about FIGS?

Hayaa
08-15-2009, 11:47 PM
:sl:

A few minutes ago, I was forced to eat a fig :unhappy:.

Alhamdulilah, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was and actually, it's a tasty fruit :p. I did some research to only find out the many healthy benefits it carries. Subhanallah!

Here's what I discovered:

Figs are thought to be originally from small Asia and are one of the first fruits cultivated ever.
It is said that humans could live on Figs alone as a source of food -- such is the goodness and nutrition in the fruit!

Figs are a rich source of calcium, iron, magnesium, Vitamin B6, and potassium. Figs are low in fat and high in fibre. They provide more fiber than any other common fruit or vegetable.
Figs have many health benefits. Fresh and dry figs are high in pectin, a soluble fibre that can reduce blood cholesterol. The fruit is also believed to have a laxative effect and can aid those who suffer from chronic constipation.

Listed below are some common problems and illnesses and how they can be avoided by the use of figs:

Insomnia
Figs contain a nutrient called tryptophan. This promotes good sleep and helps the brain use glucose properly, encouraging and stimulating good circulation.

Memory loss
Figs contain a lot of natural sugar - up to 60%. Sugar stimulate the brain so we can think faster and recall information more quickly. So that you can think more clear and faster. Figs are the ultimate brain fuel!

Fatigue
Fresh Figs contain up to 80% of water, as well as being one of the fruits with the highest levels of natural sugars. So they are a brilliant source of energy and stimulant for the brain. Making you more alert, responsive, fresh, as well as de-toxing the self.

Skin

Due to the Fig's high water content, they are ideal for improving the skin. The skin requires a good level of water. This will clear the skin, act as a cleanser, improve acne, oil, and general well-being.

Constipation
Figs are a natural laxative. So they can aid those suffering from constipation. They have a high level of fibre.

The heart

Due to the Fig's high level of natural sugars, they are an excellent way to replace the bleached (white) sugars with a more healthy alternative. They contain a natural fructose and glucose sugar.
A high fibre diet is one of the best ways to improve cholesterol levels, and as a result aid oneself against heart related diseases insha'Allah.
The nutrient 'tryptophan' contained in Figs encourages good circulation, allowing blood to flow more easily around the body.
Figs contain the ingredient Pectin (and soluble Fibre) which is known for its colesterol lowering effects. Thus, Figs are beneficial for those of Old age, those suffering from High Blood-pressure, Diabetes, heart-disease, hyper-tension, and other such related illnesses.

Calcium
Studies show that 80% of Americans don't consume adequate amounts of calcium daily. (NB: sorry, I couldnt find the statistics for calcium consumption for those of us that live in the UK! :P )
The majority of the calcium consumed by those in the US comes from dairy products. However, Figs are another source where much calcium could be obtained. This is also beneficial for those who are lactose intolerant (or even those who chose to be Vegans!).
Five figs provide about 250 mg of the daily recommended level of calcium.

Blood pressure
Figs are beneficial for those with heart-related diseases. Lowering colesterol, they are advantageous for those with high blood pressure.
Figs are a particularly good source of Poatassium. Potassium is a mineral crucial to the control of blood pressure. People who eat potassium-rich foods tend to have lower blood pressure and, subsequently, have less risk of related conditions such as strokes.

Stress
Physical stress results from having high levels of work to do, illnesses, not eating properly, lack of sleep. Emotional stress is triggered from dunya things, such as family woes, work/school troubles and so on. Figs are extreamely nutritious, and over-all an ideal fruit to overcome stresses and anxieties.
Figs are high in calories – about 50 calories per fig – but are highly nutritious snacks.

Anemia
Figs contain Iron which enriches the blood, and helps to produce it. Thus, they are ideal for women, girls and those suffering from Anemia (lack of Iron).

Digestion
Five figs provide more than 20 percent of the daily recommended allowance of fibre. Hence, they are excellent in aiding digestion and improving the condition of the stomach and bowels.

Bones
Figs, with their high level of calcium are ideal for young growing children and for the development of bones. They are also invaluable for those suffering from Osteoporosis and brittle bones.

Weight control
Three figs, fresh or dried, contain about five grams of fibre. The soluble fibre contained in Figs can help people cut down on snacking because it causes nutrients to be absorbed more slowly, making people feel more satisfied after a meal. However, it should be remembered that Figs are high in calories.

Source: http://www.geocities.com/mutmainaa/food/fig.html

InshaAllah, let's all try to include this nutricious and wonderful fruit in our daily diet!

:peace:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-16-2009, 12:28 AM

FIGS ARE DELICIOUS! YUM! :D And yes very healthy mashaAllah. Oh man juicy watery figs...:statisfie

I get constipation :-[ so my mom tells me to eat them :p I'm gunna make sure I have it with me everyday during uni.

Danah
08-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Wow figs???
I ate a lot of them when I was in Saudi before few days, they are verrry delicious subhanAllah and u can't stop eating them, they are planting figs there a lot
But I didn't know that they are that good

I missed eating them now, I don't think that they sell the good sweet ones here in my country <_<

Danah
08-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Sorry double post

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mahfuja
08-16-2009, 07:25 PM
The prophet (SAWS) mentioned figs and then stated, "If I had to mention a fruit that descended from paradise I would say this is it because the paradisiacal fruits do not have pits...eat from these fruits for they prevent hemorrhoids, prevent piles and help gout." (Bukhari)
Figs are a top source of fiber, as well as potassium and vitamin B6. Fiber results in bulkier stools, which lessen the incidence of constipation, hemorrhoids and colon cancer. Fiber also lowers cholesterol and the risk of heart disease. Just one fig provides 20% of
the USRDA of fiber. A Harvard University study of 43,757 men ages 40 to 75 found that those who got the most fiber had about half the risk of getting a heart attack as those who got the least. Furthermore, men who added just 10 grams of fiber a day to their diet (6 figs) lowered their incidence of heart disease by 30%.

Hayaa
08-17-2009, 03:02 AM
We're growing them in our backyard; it's fun picking out the ripe ones =)

@ Mahfuja, jazakallahu khairan for sharing the hadith.. these fruits were even recommended by the Prophet (pbuh), alhamdulilah!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-17-2009, 03:04 AM
:o in ur backyard! cooool.

UmmHasan
08-17-2009, 03:06 AM
I always used to see my father and father in-law eat them...but I never tried them myself. I will remember to try it the next time I buy them.

abu_musab461
08-17-2009, 03:14 AM
dried figs are my fav!!

Woodrow
08-17-2009, 03:54 AM
Figs are very plentiful in the southern USA. They grow in all of the Southern states and there is a large variety. My favorite was the Lemon fig, it is a large soft yellow fig, as big as an apple. But it is seldom preserved ot dried and eaten fresh, you seldom see it outside of Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi. The sweetest fig in the USA is the Celeste, it is a small black fig and usually made into preserves. The Black Turkey fig is very common and the most used fig in the US, it is good fresh and it preserves well by drying or canning or making into jams.

syilla
08-17-2009, 04:00 AM
:salamext:

Watinni wazaitun...

theres no fresh here in Malaysia

Hayaa
08-17-2009, 07:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Figs are very plentiful in the southern USA. They grow in all of the Southern states and there is a large variety. My favorite was the Lemon fig, it is a large soft yellow fig, as big as an apple. But it is seldom preserved ot dried and eaten fresh, you seldom see it outside of Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi. The sweetest fig in the USA is the Celeste, it is a small black fig and usually made into preserves. The Black Turkey fig is very common and the most used fig in the US, it is good fresh and it preserves well by drying or canning or making into jams.
Subhanallah! I didn't know that there were different types of figs. I'm guessing the pic I posted above is known as 'celeste'. Jazakallahu khairan for all the info :)

Ummu Sufyaan
08-17-2009, 09:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah4ever.
yh we had one huge fig tree growing in our backyard but we had to cut it down :( but alhamdulliah we have another one...figs r deffo yum<---thats what i know about them :D

- IqRa -
08-17-2009, 09:40 AM

Figs
Figs are high in amino acids, which researchers believe can increase libido. It has also been found that Figs can also increase your sexual stamina.

Woodrow
08-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Subhanallah! I didn't know that there were different types of figs. I'm guessing the pic I posted above is known as 'celeste'. Jazakallahu khairan for all the info :)
Here is a link to a guy that sells fig trees, he has more varieties then I knew existed. The one he calls LSU Gold

is what I knew as a Lemon Fig.

http://www.adrianosfigtrees.com/varieties.html

Danah
08-17-2009, 01:27 PM
I have tasted both kinds the (lemon) green figs and the one that was posted on the first post and it seems to me that the lemon one is much more sweeter that the other one.

the dried ones can be found any where in the supermarkets but the fresh one is much more better :thumbs_up

- IqRa -
08-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Where can we buy these from? Local supermarkets?

Woodrow
08-17-2009, 01:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A
Where can we buy these from? Local supermarkets?

Unless you live in an area where figs are grown you will seldom if ever see fresh figs in a supermarket. they do not ship well and have a short shelf life. However, most supermarkets do carry dried figs (Which are good) usually they will be Smyrna figs, a fig that actually tastes better dried than fresh. They are usually a seasonal item going on sale November-January. Canned figs are available year round in most supermarkets. They are good but too messy to eat by hand.

Beardo
08-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Oh, I love figs. Are they fattening? If you eat too much though, your throat feels overly strong, and I had bathroom problems (not going into too much detail, in case you are eating and reading this post at the same time).

The ones I had were brown and shell-shaped. I think they had sprinkles on them or something.

Are figs related to dates?

Danah
08-17-2009, 02:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by eHafiz
No I dont think so

mo_123
08-17-2009, 02:15 PM
figs and figs trees lead to gnosis, and allowing one to enter the matrix

or can also mean the coming a new messiah according to jewish beliefs

Woodrow
08-17-2009, 03:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by eHafiz
Oh, I love figs. Are they fattening? If you eat too much though, your throat feels overly strong, and I had bathroom problems (not going into too much detail, in case you are eating and reading this post at the same time).

The ones I had were brown and shell-shaped. I think they had sprinkles on them or something.

No relation to dates. Dates are a variety of palm. figs are related to Rubber trees. The plant species ficus is very large, figs have a lot of relatives, seems all are beneficial.

The pollination of figs is unbelievable. The fig flowers are internal and can not be seen all figs (except the self pollinating) are pollinated by a tiny wasp that is small enough to walk into the tiny opening at the base of a fig. Without that little wasp figs would not exist and without figs that little wasp would not exist.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-17-2009, 05:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abu_musab461
dried figs are my fav!!
I eat those in place of the original cuz they cost a lot for even a few and I gotta say, the dried ones r nasty compared to the real thing...:hmm: Plus they juice out all the good stuff...

mahfuja
08-17-2009, 09:08 PM

@ Mahfuja, jazakallahu khairan for sharing the hadith.. these fruits were even recommended by the Prophet (pbuh), alhamdulilah!
no worries :)

fagp1rpp
08-24-2009, 02:46 PM
figs have many more qualities that which is not impossible to describe.Japnese researchers finds that from figs they can cure 70 diffrent kinds of cancers.Subhan-allah.Figs are written in quran.

Hidaya
08-30-2009, 03:21 AM
We have a young fig tree in the backyard. It only has one fig on it so far :p

Subhanallah, I've never actually read about the benefits of fig. They taste really good but after a while it starts burning the roof of my mouth. Don't know why, lol.

Woodrow
08-30-2009, 03:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hidaya
We have a young fig tree in the backyard. It only has one fig on it so far :p

Subhanallah, I've never actually read about the benefits of fig. They taste really good but after a while it starts burning the roof of my mouth. Don't know why, lol.
;D Silly you are picking them before they are fully ripe and still have some white sap in them. The white sap of a fig tree is irritating to your skin. When the fig is fully ripe it has no white sap in it.

Hassan C
08-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Figs are tasty and healthy! Can there be a better combination? :)

Trumble
08-31-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm a fig addict; I even grow them (although the UK is not the best place!)

Caller الداعي
08-31-2009, 04:32 PM
that pic just made me so hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Hayaa
08-31-2009, 07:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
I'm a fig addict; I even grow them (although the UK is not the best place!)
That's a really good thing! =)

nutty
08-31-2009, 08:14 PM
I always wanted to try them but wasnt sure how to eat them with the skin on or u peel the skin off and have them

Woodrow
08-31-2009, 08:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nutty
I always wanted to try them but wasnt sure how to eat them with the skin on or u peel the skin off and have them
I never met a person who peeled them.

Hayaa
08-31-2009, 09:06 PM
I usually just slice a bit off the top, cut them in half, and eat 'em! :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.