/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Woman taking her husband’s surname after marriage

Ummu Sufyaan
08-17-2009, 09:12 AM
:sl:
Woman taking her husband’s surname after marriage

i was just browsing this site and I came across ur answer to the question 2537 which deals with changing surnames of womens.. as u said it is haraam... can u plz gimme a refrence from quran on that or a hadith if possilbe..?

Praise be to Allaah.

It seems that what is meant in the question is a woman changing her family name to that of her husband after she gets married. This is haraam and is not allowed in sharee’ah, because it is not permissible for anyone to claim to belong to anyone other than his or her father. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Call them (adopted sons) by (the names of) their fathers, that is more just with Allaah…” [al-Ahzaab 33:5]. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has cursed the one who claims to belong to someone other than his father.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad and others). And Allaah knows best.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
08-19-2009, 02:26 AM
:sl:
*bump...

abu_musab461
08-19-2009, 02:29 AM
yeah, its not known in islam for wifey to take hubby's name.

kuffar concept, because back in the days wife used to be the property of husband.

Somaiyah
08-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Salam,
I would like to keep my own name but add my husband's name, in the fact to show I am married and not to tell I have another father. It's still the deepest intentions that is more important to know and not exactly what you do in this thing. And then I feel at the same time that birthdays and other things which have a Christian catholic origin should be more a thing for Muslims not to do. And still so many do? And celebrating Valentine's day which has also a catholic origin.
Still I know changing last name is haram from that reason to tell you have another family and father, but from another reason I don't feel it's wrong.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- IqRa -
08-20-2009, 01:41 PM
You have to do it in some countries, it is obligatory.

Thinker
08-20-2009, 01:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abu_musab461
yeah, its not known in islam for wifey to take hubby's name.

kuffar concept, because back in the days wife used to be the property of husband.
It's also so that the children are known to be the children of a married couple rather than an unmarried mother.

glo
08-20-2009, 01:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by J Aaliyah
Salam,
I would like to keep my own name but add my husband's name, in the fact to show I am married.
I can understand that.

I love sharing the same name as my husband. It shows that we are bound together in marriage - something I am very grateful for!

Ummu Sufyaan
08-21-2009, 03:52 AM
^
the marriage contract and witnesses usually do that for us.

i like keeping my surname, it shows immense respect for my father....:shade:

جوري
08-21-2009, 05:27 AM
my sis in law took our family name.. (she used to be christian) I don't like the idea of taking a husband's name even if the religion didn't prohibit it.. just seems demeaning on some level and disrespectful for the ones who have fostered you from the zygote stage...

glo
08-21-2009, 07:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
i like keeping my surname, it shows immense respect for my father....:shade:
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
just seems demeaning on some level and disrespectful for the ones who have fostered you from the zygote stage...
yes, I can understand the respect-to-you- parents-thing.

Out of interest, when a woman marries in Islam, does she not leave her own family and becomes a part of her husband's family?
I always thought that was the case.

Are children always named after the father? (This has probably been answered somewhere already - I haven't read the whole thread ... sowwie)

Ummu Sufyaan
08-21-2009, 07:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo

Out of interest, when a woman marries in Islam, does she not leave her own family and becomes a part of her husband's family?
I always thought that was the case.
nope, she just joins another one, and he likewise...leaving and cutting off ties with your family is a completely different matter...but thats an interesting thing you bring up that Islamically she leaves her family...i always thought it was a cultural thing...hmmm

Are children always named after the father? (This has probably been answered somewhere already - I haven't read the whole thread ... sowwie)
im not sure..

glo
08-21-2009, 07:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
nope, she just joins another one...leaving and cutting off ties with your family is a completely different matter...but thats an interesting thing you bring up that Islamically she leaves her family...i always thought it was a cultural thing...hmmm
Perhaps it is.
I can't remember what gave me the impression, it must have been something I read in a biography or such ... so it may quite possibly be cultural.

Muslim Woman
08-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Salaam/ Peace;

I can understand that.

I love sharing the same name as my husband. It shows that we are bound together in marriage - something I am very grateful for!
problem arises when the they are divorced . The wife then need to change her name again . So , it's better to keep one name only ; because blood relationship never ends .

Muslim Woman
08-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Salaam/Peace;

.... when a woman marries in Islam, does she not leave her own family and becomes a part of her husband's family?
In Hindu marriage , I read that women give a handful of rice to parents ; it means she is paying back what they did for her and she is no more belong to them .

In Islam , that is not the case exactly . Father and brothers have responsibility towards daughter / sister always . She has a share in her father and mother's property . Blood relation is so important in Islam that Prophet (pbuh) said something that means , a person who abandons blood relationship will go to hell.

Somaiyah
08-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Salam,
Of course the respect to family and blood relation is so important and nothing to ever forget or leave. But a name is just a name, it's not worth to keep a name if you don't meet with your family, talk with them or even love them.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-18-2012, 05:35 PM
I'm keeping my family name. See no use and point in changing it to someone who I just met over the family ive been with half my life...=D

جوري
03-18-2012, 05:35 PM
does she not leave her own family and becomes a part of her husband's family?
She gains a family, she's neither property nor does she forget her roots..

sry forgot about this thread, and certainly don't wish to bestir your hopefully very long hiatus..

best,

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.