/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Preserving energy during fasting

glo
08-18-2009, 07:34 PM
There have been several threads recently on fasting, weight loss etc.

It got me wondering how difficult it must be to go through the day without eating or drinking.
I certainly found it very hard last Ramadan - especially the first few days.

I expect that in predominantly Muslim countires there is an acceptance that people may slow down during the days of fasting, but Muslims in non-Islamic countries may not have that benefit.

Our social worker who is a Muslimah tends to work only half days during Ramadan - but then, our work place is very accommodating.

How do others make it through the working day?
What about people who do hard physical work? Or operate heavy machinery? Or do work which requires a high level of attention and concentration?

I would love to hear your stories, and how you manage.

Salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
08-18-2009, 07:58 PM
i worked in royal mail during ramadan....lifting boxes.....sorting bags....the energy i got to do those things were from the barley and yoghurt my mum used to wake me up for.....it really helped....by the time it was iftar time i was still going strong with foam at the mouth

glo
08-18-2009, 08:01 PM
You had no periods of fatigue or lack of energy/concentration?

mohammed_alim
08-18-2009, 08:31 PM
i recently got a job in amazon warehouse.. my job is pysical am walking around for 8 hours a day. its gna b tough when fasting begins ina few days bt am gna do some reserach to find out what foods are best to eat that will keep me going through the day.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
convert
08-18-2009, 10:11 PM
eating can be tough, especially for the first week or so but your body can adjust. no fluids is very difficult, especially for the office folks and their coffee but no water absolutely drains me by the end of the fast

subhanallah, really makes you think about people who aren't as luck as you

جوري
08-19-2009, 01:19 AM
you have stores of energy and as many biochemical pathways that take over when one source has run out.. you remember all those Glycolysis, Gluconeogenesis, cori cycle, beta oxidation, practically any amnio acid can be used to harness ATP.. now is the time to remove the dust from your biochem books...
Every pound you are over weight is 3,500 calories ... your daily allowance per day is how many calories? well for the average person let's say consumes 1800c give or take. .. if you are just one pound over weight, then that is already almost two days worth of sustenance. .. if you are over weight and don't have diabetes, then death usually ensues from insensible water loss rather than starvation which depending on how over weight you are can keep you alive for quite sometime.. but the fact is during fast, you don't go more than 12-14 hrs tops.. so I really don't see how anyone can complain?

Laziness is a state of mind, unless you have an actual debilitating disease, there is no reason why a day in Ramadan is different from any other day save for the spiritual growth..

if you know the correct foods to eat, then you'll have no problem..

syilla
08-19-2009, 04:11 AM
when come to fasting ...

They have to have a well planned schedule. A good, healthy food and can preserve energy well. To do activities without taking too much of energy but at the same time not to sleep all day because that can cause tiredness. Feeling tired also because lacking of exercise.

To take sahr at the last minute ( or near to imsa' before the adhan fajr). To read lots of quran...and not wasting time like talking unneccessarily, watching tvs and etc. Watching tvs and talking can make your mouth and eyes easily tired too :D :p

glo
08-19-2009, 08:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
you have stores of energy and as many biochemical pathways that take over when one source has run out.. you remember all those Glycolysis, Gluconeogenesis, cori cycle, beta oxidation, practically any amnio acid can be used to harness ATP.. now is the time to remove the dust from your biochem books...
Every pound you are over weight is 3,500 calories ... your daily allowance per day is how many calories? well for the average person let's say consumes 1800c give or take. .. if you are just one pound over weight, then that is already almost two days worth of sustenance. .. if you are over weight and don't have diabetes, then death usually ensues from insensible water loss rather than starvation which depending on how over weight you are can keep you alive for quite sometime.. but the fact is during fast, you don't go more than 12-14 hrs tops.. so I really don't see how anyone can complain?

Laziness is a state of mind, unless you have an actual debilitating disease, there is no reason why a day in Ramadan is different from any other day save for the spiritual growth..

if you know the correct foods to eat, then you'll have no problem..
What food would you recommend to have before starting the fast in the morning?

When I fasted last year I became very light-headed, to the point that I thought I was not safe to drive the car. (It did pass after a few days, but it was enough for me to nearly give up fasting altogether ...)

جوري
08-19-2009, 11:41 AM
I recommend a trial day first before diving in head first, especially if your body isn't accustomed to fasting.. that is how children who are interested in trying fast first start.. a quarter a day, then half a day, then every three days or so.. so their bodies get accustomed to the concept..

I recommend prophetic foods.. for instance dates and milk, I have three dates with some milk (but I also have coffee for I am addicted to caffeine) then I will have a high protein meal .. you can have the one of your choosing.. I like to stick to Atkins protein bars and that usually keeps me very full.. in the winter fast is no problem, in the summer one might get thirsty, so I also recommend at least one 12 oz bottle during sihoor.

It also helps to believe in what you are doing.. for instance if you go in with the attitudes that this is 'fasting as the hypocrites' do as I remember once you'd mentioned.. then in all likelihood it won't work out...

last year, there was one day when I felt very sick upon sihoor, and wanted to take some meds but it was too late, so I asked Allah swt to make the day easy on me, since the nausea and heart burn was almost too much to bear.. I managed to sleep for a while after I made fajr prayer and when I woke up I had no symptoms..

Allah swt doesn't make things difficult for us.. if you are genuinely sick and can't keep up, then you can go ahead and break your fast and make it up later (as a Muslim)..

hope that helps insha'Allah

:w:

fagp1rpp
08-24-2009, 02:39 PM
you must eat oats,barley gruel corn flakes with two hands full of nuts and one tea spoon of black seed.Also eat yougurt and pysliuum husk in yougurt.Eat eggs

GuestFellow
08-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Well I have no idea how I manage. I sometimes don't eat anything the entire day...except drink couple of glass of water. As long as I have something to do then I'm fine.

fagp1rpp
08-25-2009, 09:50 AM
if you didnt eat them massage your body with olive oil as it will increase your blood and will give you stamina inshallah

Malaikah
08-25-2009, 10:27 AM
To be honest I don't even feel like I'm fasting - so far! Alhamdulilah its been very easy so far, but that might be because I've gotten used to it over the years.

- IqRa -
08-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Over the years the fasts have been short, now they are longer and more difficult.

Snowflake
08-25-2009, 10:44 AM
The best food in my experience, from suitable combinations when it comes to two types of food that digest well together, is the classic pakistani/indian paratha - a chapatti made with butter. (Light or medium wholemeal flour).

Anyone who's had a paratha for sehri will know they can go for hours without feeling the slightest pang of hunger.

testimonies welcome.. :D

fagp1rpp
08-25-2009, 11:50 AM
instead of butte or oil i use olive oil as it will purify bllod reduces gulocouse level and good for heart.and it will also decrease chlostroil

Salahudeen
08-25-2009, 12:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
The best food in my experience, from suitable combinations when it comes to two types of food that digest well together, is the classic pakistani/indian paratha - a chapatti made with butter. (Light or medium wholemeal flour).

Anyone who's had a paratha for sehri will know they can go for hours without feeling the slightest pang of hunger.

testimonies welcome.. :D
aren't they really unhealthy and fattening though?? all that margerine that goes into them.

zakirs
08-25-2009, 02:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
To be honest I don't even feel like I'm fasting - so far! Alhamdulilah its been very easy so far, but that might be because I've gotten used to it over the years.
:sl:

same here. :)

Glo sis try having things like milk , dates etc. Initially u will find it hard. but later you will get used to it :)

Snowflake
08-25-2009, 02:27 PM
aren't they really unhealthy and fattening though?? all that margerine that goes into them.
I'm dont think so. There's a whole lot of factors of why a certain food becomes healthy or unhealthy. For example, on the Atkin's diet which is high protien & high fat, you actually lose weight, bad cholestrol is reduced and so many health problems are reversed.

In pakistan, parathas is a staple food for farmers. They work and sweat all day and burn off the fats. For them it is suitable as the res tof their diet is simple too. If we eat parathas and cakes, crisps, donuts, ice creams then our body will handle the fat differently. So, my theory, is that the benefit/harm from food is determined by the whole diet in general. lol :-[

Olive oil if the best choice though :)

zakirs
08-25-2009, 04:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
No not at all , people have been eating them here for years :P

syilla
08-26-2009, 01:56 AM
When eat too heavy also can cause the energy to burnt much faster... so eat moderately InshaAllah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.