/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Quran in English

Najm
08-21-2009, 08:15 PM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

I need an english Quran, the one i have is poetry-like! A proper one with english i can understand!!! Not poetry, something which i can understand. Also with some kinda good commentry which explains context, etc.

What does everyone have/use? Please recomend.. :embarrass

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bub
08-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Salam brother, i have one Quran in english bec i absolutely do not know arabic but (im still learn step by step) translated by professor dr syed vickar ahamed. if u want to have a copy of mine, contact http://www.bookofsign.org either Quran@bookofsign.org. The preface is very interesting by dr. zakir naik all the best!

UmmSqueakster
08-21-2009, 08:28 PM
wa alaikum assalam wr wb,

Well, the Qur'an is poetic, so it makes sense that the translation would be poetic as well. Alas, all fall short of the beauty of Allah (swt)'s original word.

That being said, I have found some translations that are easier to understand than others:

Saheeh International
A. Bewley
Majid Fakhry
Ali Unal

Karina
08-21-2009, 08:35 PM
I have:

The Qur'an (Oxford World's Classics) translated by M. A. S. Abdel Haleem

It comes highly recommended by many - Here is an example review from Amazon by "Mr M Saleem":

"I own many of the major translations (Yusuf Ali, Pikthall etc) and find this to be the best all round translation into modern English.
Whilst a short commentary exists, it doesn't take up half the page and the focus always remains on the word of God. Each surah is introduced with a few lines to outline the basic principles and happenings. The text isn't presented in seperate verses and instead appears as continuous prose with each verse numbered.

The aim of every new translation nowadays is to render the meaning in an easy to understand way and this particular translation succeeds in doing that very well. The actual book is bound beautifully and presented nicely.

This is the translation I use most now; it is very complete
. "

Hope this helps?
:sunny:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Misz_Muslimah
08-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Inshallah I found the website i think you were looking for-heres the link:
http://www.reciter.org/

Trumble
08-21-2009, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by UmmSqueakster
Well, the Qur'an is poetic, so it makes sense that the translation would be poetic as well.
I'm not at all sure about that. The danger is that in trying to force a translation into poetry, and into structures and rythms that are different from those of the original language, you are much more prone to misrepresent the original meaning and produce instead a version of what the translator thinks is meant. In the case of religious literature, I think that is something obviously best avoided.

Nora.
08-21-2009, 09:58 PM
hello :)

I have never use Quran in English
so I have no idea

I found this site it is translated by Dr. Rashad Khalifa

http://www.quran-islam.org/93.html

and this site I recommend you to visit

This is a word for word translation of the Quran, with grammar, morphology, search, dictionary and English transliteration.

The Crescent Quran Corpus - Syntax and Morphology of the Holy Quran

Rasema
08-21-2009, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
I'm not at all sure about that. The danger is that in trying to force a translation into poetry, and into structures and rythms that are different from those of the original language, you are much more prone to misrepresent the original meaning and produce instead a version of what the translator thinks is meant. In the case of religious literature, I think that is something obviously best avoided.
May peace be upon those who follow the truth.

We don't force the Qur'an into being poetic. The scholars goal is to try their best to bring out the meaning of its verses. The Qur'an challenges humans and the unseen world to produce one chapter like it. Since no one has been able to do this, then how do you expect our scholars to translate it. There are always differences of the translations of the Qur'an in word usage,subtitle differences...

Another thing is that direct translations between languages do not justice to the message being conveyed.

In fact, the Qur'an is a FORM of poetry,pose and rhyme. The way the Qur'an is composed is very,very different from the Bible. The Qur'an is a FORM of poetry. Every verse in the Qur'an rhymes with itself and the verses oround it.

Brother or a sister, here are copies of the Qur'an by many scholars.

http://www.quranexplorer.com/

Try the one by Yusuf Ali

And, here is an easy commentary:

http://altafseer.net/Tafasir.asp?tMa...No=1&tAyahNo=1

&tDisplay=no&LanguageID=2

This one is advanced but really good:

http://www.tafsir.com/

Ramisa
08-22-2009, 02:31 AM
:sl: Akhee.

Try using this well known Qura'an site:www.quranexplorer.com

Tell me inshallah if it benefits you.

:w:

Najm
08-22-2009, 03:30 AM

I didnt get a chance to look at the posts yet.

Please recommend a BOOK!!! :embarrass

Najm
08-22-2009, 04:04 PM

*Bump*

Pray for the Ummah InshaAllah.

FiAmaaniAllah

iamdaguy
08-23-2009, 10:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm

I didnt get a chance to look at the posts yet.

Please recommend a BOOK!!! :embarrass

I understand what you mean by poetic-like. I also don't understand when "thy" and "thou" are mentioned in the english translated quran. But this translated quran I have doesn't count such words. It's in pure english and I would recommend you 100%.

It is "The meaning of the holy Qur'an" by Abdullah Yusuf Ali. The first edition was printed in 1996. But the edition I have is printed in 2006. Printed in Malaysia (I live here).

http://www.ibtbooks.com/product.php?...=9789839154962
I think that's the one I have except the cover is black rather than red/brownish.

May allah help you, insha allah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.