/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Coping With Migranes?

Afifa
08-22-2009, 11:35 AM
:sl:

If anybody suffers from migranes over here how do they cope in Ramadhan? I mean with no water in the day and no medicine a small headache leads to a migrane. Usually sleep thorugh them if medicine can't help but i cant sleep all day can i :hmm:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
08-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Asslamu Alikum.

When I was little I used to get migranes though I took medicine and drank water to help me cope with it.

Here is what you can do:

1. Learn relaxation skills, such as deep breathing.
2. Take proper rest and sleep.
3. Avoid stressful situations.

I hope this helps...while resting I would read a book or something. =/

sur
08-22-2009, 12:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Afifa

If anybody suffers from migranes over here how do they cope in Ramadhan? I mean with no water in the day and no medicine a small headache leads to a migrane. Usually i go to sleep if medicine can't help but i cant sleep all day can i :hmm:
Try this..... (I never had migraines so don't know if it'll work for migraine, but i have treated my general headaches with this.........)

*Go into "Sajdah"(Prostration)...
*Press ur head against floor firmly...
*Keep on saying "al-hamdu-lillah" or "Subhana-Rabbi-yal-azeem" etc till you get tired a bit...(I recite 30-to-100 times)
*Get up & pain is gone(Worked for general headaches for me!!!)

GuestFellow
08-22-2009, 01:22 PM
^ I'm curious to try the second one.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Afifa
08-22-2009, 01:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Asslamu Alikum.

When I was little I used to get migranes though I took medicine and drank water to help me cope with it.

Here is what you can do:

1. Learn relaxation skills, such as deep breathing.
2. Take proper rest and sleep.
3. Avoid stressful situations.

I hope this helps...while resting I would read a book or something. =/
Insallah will try these.
Im staying away from books in Ramadhan to do as much Ibaadat as i can..or else i'l sit thier all day reading :hmm:

format_quote Originally Posted by sur

Try this..... (I never had migraines so don't know if it'll work for migraine, but i have treated my general headaches with this.........)

*Go into "Sajdah"(Prostration)...
*Press ur head against floor firmly...
*Keep on saying "al-hamdu-lillah" or "Subhana-Rabbi-yal-azeem" etc till you get tired a bit...(I recite 30-to-100 times)
*Get up & pain is gone(Worked for general headaches for me!!!)
That sounds like it would work too :hmm:. Inshallah will try it.

Duhaa786M
08-22-2009, 08:12 PM
:embarrass maybe you must try laxative.

GuestFellow
08-22-2009, 08:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Duhaa123
:embarrass maybe you must try laxative.
How in the world does that help?!! O_____o

Duhaa786M
08-22-2009, 08:15 PM
bro com'on you can see I'm only kidding,,,:D

GuestFellow
08-22-2009, 08:16 PM
^ Oh okay. o_o

Ramisa
08-22-2009, 08:24 PM

Sister I don't have the experience of migranes ,but here's what I do to heal a basic head ache. :
•Dhikr to Allah
•Think about how other people cope with other difficult diseases.
•Compare the small headache with bigger problems
•Read the Quran(especially the hadeeth where Prophet Muhammad(Peace be upon him said something like this "The sickness is a test from Allah,it wipes away your sins"

Basic summary:don't be lazy because the Sickness is the test from our Lord Allah to see if we are loyal in completing our Pillars regardless of our state. If you do,your sins get wiped away. Be positive when facing any illness. Insha'Allah Allah will bless everyone who is suffering(including you Sister Afifa):).

:w:

Afifa
08-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Jazkallah for the reminder ukhty. Inshallah i will try to implement it.
Headaches i can deal with but they then usually turn into migranes :mmokay: :p:

Insha'Allah Allah will bless everyone who is suffering
Ameen

جوري
08-22-2009, 08:53 PM
I have suffered migraines since I was a little girl and was hospitalized two times for severe migraines with scintillating scotomas.. the only thing I can advise you for Ramadan as I do it myself everyday during sihoor is (take a caffeinated drink plus acetominophen or ibuprofen) it doesn't stop the migraines but does take the edge of...

May Allah swt grant us and all who suffer from this ummah, fast shifa'a insha'Allah

جوري
08-22-2009, 08:58 PM
another thing is you could ask for migraine prophylaxis .. I don't take it myself as I prefer to treat them on as they come basis.. but have considered it a few times given the large bills of one hospital visit which exceeded $1500 for an anti-emetic and an ergotamine.. I thought it was steep.. if it is that bad, I think it is better to prophylaxe them then treat them as they come..
you may also hyperventilate into a bag as that will decrease intracranial pressure. But since migraines don't cause high ICP it might be futile.. I usually attempt it anyway again just to take the edge of...

and Allah swt knows best...

Afifa
08-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Every day?...Wouldn't having the medicine everyday cause side effects?

Ameen

edit
I prefer to treat them as they come to.. Sometimes its easy enough to shake them off so i go depending on the severity each time.
I'v been reccomended actupunture but the thought of having needles stuck into me gives me the creeps :skeleton:

جوري
08-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Every day?...Wouldn't having the medicine everyday cause side effects?

Ameen

edit
I prefer to treat them as they come to.. Sometimes its easy enough to shake them off so i go depending on the severity each time.
I'v been reccomended actupunture but the thought of having needles stuck into me gives me the creeps :skeleton:
Yes I take them everyday for the month of Ramadan and at very large doses.. nothing is without side effects.. many people take several medications every day for the rest of their lives and they have terrible side effects, but it is a risk vs. benefit thing..
If you stick with acetomniphen check that you are not taking other meds that can potentiate its side and take some antioxidants vits, if you will stick with the ibuprofen then drink plenty of fluids and make sure you don't have any kidney problems.. you should ask your doctor anyway s/he might see that it is better for you to be on migraine prophylaxis all together ..

and Allah swt knows best

Rasema
08-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Assalamu Alikum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuhu

This discussion I found on gawaher.I hope it helps.

Sickness is one of the valid reasons for which we are excused from fasting during Ramadhan, as stated in this verse:

Ramadhan is the (month) in which was sent down the Qur'an, as a guide to mankind, also clear (Signs) for guidance and judgment (Between right and wrong). So every one of you who is present (at his home) during that month should spend it in fasting, but if any one is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period (Should be made up) by days later. [2:185]

Most of the scholars define this as a severe sickness which meets one of the following conditions:

1- The sickness will be made worse by fasting.
2- Recovery will be delayed by fasting.
3- Fasting will cause intense hardship, even if it does not make the sickness worse or delay recovery.
4- The scholars also included those who fear that they may become sick because of fasting.

Mild sickness such as a headache or a slight toothache does not fall into this category, however a migraine that is unbearable or a fever will.

Sickness Which Permits Breaking Fast

If you take medicine, it breaks your fast because you are eating something, which is the pill and you are drinking something, which is the water you use to ease the medicine down your throat. It is not permissible for anything to enter into the stomach when fasting with the exception of saliva. However, swallowing something unintentionally does not invalidate fasting.

Things that Invalidate the Fast

If your friend had cut her lip but did not intentionally swallow any of the blood, then her fast was still valid.

Swallowing Blood While Fasting

Some scholars are of the opinion that women are prohibited from fasting because this is a mercy from Allah to them, because losing blood weakens the body and fasting would be an added burden. Here is the full article:

Why is Fasting Haram for Menstruating Women?

Rasema
08-22-2009, 09:39 PM
These are fatwas about migranes during fast.

I hope this article will answer your question because you are in the same situation.

Does suffering migraines mean that one is allowed not to fast?

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/38040/migraine%20fasting

I have a friend who does not fast because she gets migraines. is that alright? how can she make them up?.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible for one who is sick not to fast in Ramadaan, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days”

[al-Baqarah 2:185]

This has to do with severe illness where it is too difficult to fast.

With regard to mild illness where it is not too difficult to fast, this is not regarded as an excuse not to fast in Ramadaan.

See also question no. 12488

If the migraine makes it too difficult for her to fast, then it is permissible for her not to fast, and she should make up the days that she missed after Ramadaan.

If this migraine is continuous and she cannot make up the fasts, then she should feed one poor person for each day that she did not fast.

And Allaah knows best.

----------

So if the migraines as well as other symptoms are too unbearable for you and you are unable to complete your fast, then it is permissible to break that fast by eating or taking medicine. Insha'Allah, Allah will make it easy for you to fast.

On a side note, you should see a doctor about those migraines, because these symptoms might be an indication of a more serious problem and knowing the root cause might help you prevent them in the future.

Afifa
08-22-2009, 10:41 PM
I tend not to break my fast due to Migranes...I just remind myself thats its only for a few hours but small things like whats been mentioned in this thread help.
Yes Iv seen the doctor...She just keeps giving me tablets :hmm: :p:

GuestFellow
08-22-2009, 10:43 PM
I tend not to break my fast due to Migranes...I just remind myself thats its only for a few hours but small things like whats been mentioned in this thread help.
Yes Iv seen the doctor...She just keeps giving me tablets :hmm: :p:
Asslamu Alikum

My doctor just talks and talks....I never get anything... :l

Clover
08-22-2009, 10:49 PM
I used to have them, still do in-fact. My cures were: Lots of water (I know you can't, but I mean, try to get in 2 liters a day or more), Meditation (I wouldn't do this, I have been told it's not Islamic, but I do not know), Breathing Exercises (If you want more info, just pm me), and Exercise.

Afifa
08-22-2009, 10:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Asslamu Alikum

My doctor just talks and talks....I never get anything... :l
Time to change doctors?
My original one used to do that...so i asked for another one :X.and now this one dishes out medicine like sweets :hiding:

Afifa
08-22-2009, 10:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Clover
I used to have them, still do in-fact. My cures were: Lots of water (I know you can't, but I mean, try to get in 2 liters a day or more), Meditation (I wouldn't do this, I have been told it's not Islamic, but I do not know), Breathing Exercises (If you want more info, just pm me), and Exercise.
Drinking lots of Water is what I usally do. Maybe i should start to learn to breath.:><:

GuestFellow
08-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Time to change doctors?
My original one used to do that...so i asked for another one :X.and now this one dishes out medicine like sweets :hiding:
I think I should...I like sweets. =)

Clover
08-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Drinking lots of Water is what I usally do. Maybe i should start to learn to breath.:><:
...I am talking about Breathing Exercises that you can do for a lot of sports, I know a few swimmers that do it, and a couple of boxers/mma'ers that do it too, because they have issues with Mouth guards covering their breathing and changing it.

Some things to do are:

1. Get a Mouth Guard, not a insured one, a 6-10$ one at a local store. Start practicing breathing in it, I do it for about 30 mins, I started out at 5 mins, and pushed it up 5 mins a week. I do it usually 2x a day.

2. Just separate breathing from deep breathes to short fast breathes, for like 10-20 mins.

3. Get a Wind Forcer, which is like, something that forces you to breath harder, it's like a balloon, this helped me some, of course gave me a headache after doing it for too long lol.

Them helped me, I can't guarantee they will help you.

Rasema
08-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Assalamu Alikum

To tell you the truth,my sister goes to doctors and from what I've observed is that all they do is increase the dose if your condition becomes worse.

Pshycologists do this a lot.

The dangerous part is that the doctors go by symptoms. They tend to be wrong sometimes by pronouncing the person with a wrong diagnosis.

But brothers and sisters you should be thankful to Allah that you go through this. For every pain you get rewarded.

In my case, I don't feel hungy at all which is not as beneficial.

3 – Fasting enables us to control our desires, because when a person is full his desires grow, but if he is hungry then his desire becomes weak. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “O young men! Whoever among you can afford to get married, let him do so, for it is more effective in lowering the gaze and protecting one’s chastity. Whoever cannot do that, let him fast, for it will be a shield for him.”
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/26862

I'm happy the articles helped.

TrueStranger
08-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Salaam Alaikum

I got some of the worse migraines last winter for about a week and so, and then it came back after two months or so. I've never felt such pain in my entire life. I had migraines with auroras.

I didn't take any medications, I just prayed to Allah. The migraines stopped (all praises to Allah). May Allah heal those who are sick.

I was under a lot of stress, so try not to stress a lot.

I can not image enduring such pain very day. May Allah heal and easy the pain of the Muslims.

Ramadan Kareem

جوري
08-23-2009, 03:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rasema
Assalamu Alikum
wa3lykoum aslaam wr wb
To tell you the truth,my sister goes to doctors and from what I've observed is that all they do is increase the dose if your condition becomes worse.
that is not true at all. Dosages are increased based on appropriateness, there is an entire science dedicated to Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics
you may read about it here: http://www.boomer.org/c/p1/
It is not a random decision.. there are algorithmic rules, Given that many drugs in and of themselves cause the side effects and at higher dosages can be lethal!
I can't imagine any doctor simply increasing the dose because they felt like it, or because someone wasn't responding .. it is a decision based on sound judgment!
Pshycologists do this a lot.
Psychologists aren't medical doctors, thus they are not allowed to write prescriptions, how can they increase dosages when they aren't board licensed or qualified to dispense medications?

The dangerous part is that the doctors go by symptoms. They tend to be wrong sometimes by pronouncing the person with a wrong diagnosis.
That is not true either.. Some diagnosis are made purely on clinical presentation, but 'symptoms' is a nondescript term for a host of diseases.. wrong diagnosis are sometimes made but to err is human.. it isn't due to the reasons you mention.. and there is a tenuous process to insure that errors aren't made or kept at a minimum!

waslaam 3lykoum wr wb

Rasema
08-23-2009, 06:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
wa3lykoum aslaam wr wb
that is not true at all. Dosages are increased based on appropriateness, there is an entire science dedicated to Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics
you may read about it here: http://www.boomer.org/c/p1/
It is not a random decision.. there are algorithmic rules, Given that many drugs in and of themselves cause the side effects and at higher dosages can be lethal!
I can't imagine any doctor simply increasing the dose because they felt like it, or because someone wasn't responding .. it is a decision based on sound judgment!
Psychologists aren't medical doctors, thus they are not allowed to write prescriptions, how can they increase dosages when they aren't board licensed or qualified to dispense medications? That is not true either.. Some diagnosis are made purely on clinical presentation, but 'symptoms' is a nondescript term for a host of diseases.. wrong diagnosis are sometimes made but to err is human.. it isn't due to the reasons you mention.. and there is a tenuous process to insure that errors aren't made or kept at a minimum!

waslaam 3lykoum wr wb
Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuh.

I meant that, when your condition becomes worse the doctors just increase the dose of the medication, not just because they feel like it, but because the person tells them that they're worse. That's what my mothers doctor does. The reason I complain about this is because I feel like medicine is unhealthy and I wish that there were other solutions.

There are pshycologist who are M.D.,or am I mestaken?
When my sister goes to her pshycologist, If she is worse than from her last visit, she tells an other doctor who prescribes medicine to increase her dose.

Thanks

جوري
08-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuh.

I meant that, when your condition becomes worse the doctors just increase the dose of the medication, not just because they feel like it, but because the person tells them that they're worse. That's what my mothers doctor does. The reason I complain about this is because I feel like medicine is unhealthy and I wish that there were other solutions.
:wa:
Medicine doesn't offer cures to many conditions, rather it improves the quality of life and severity of symptoms.. If a person had hypertension or diabetes etc, they have those for life.. there is no undoing them.. the only thing we can do in medicine is use pharmacological agents or surgery as a last resort.. you will find 'herbal' treatments even less effective, since all medications have to go through FDA approval and phases of clinical trials. Herbal or alternative medicine is exempt from that and as a result hundreds of thousands of people die yearly of abuse of these so called healthy over the counter medications, which neither alleviates their symptoms, provide cure for their condition nor does it provide safety from its own harmful side effects.. Everything we ingest is a xenobiotic that needs detoxification by the body!
Nonetheless, in Medicine there is autonomy and no one can force anyone to proper medical treatments if they refuse it.
When my sister goes to her pshycologist, If she is worse than from her last visit, she tells an other doctor who prescribes medicine to increase her dose.

Thanks
A psychiatrist not a psychologist is an MD and can prescribe meds..

I don't know what medications your sister is on, but if she is in fact experiencing worst symptom then it is best to have the doctor explain the use of the medications as well its adverse profile. Many of the medications we take happen to work at the price of something else, but then again, it is a matter of benefits vs. risks..

GuestFellow
08-23-2009, 07:06 PM

Thanks
Assalmu Alikum.

A psychologist cannot prescribe medicine. They can carry out interviews and perform certain tests.

Rasema
08-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Wa Alaku Muselam

Thanks,learned something new.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.