/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Taraveeh

limitless
08-22-2009, 08:25 PM
:sl:

My question is that, I want to attend Taraveeh at masjid. But, when my university starts later in the september, I won't be able to attend it because some of my classes are at night. So I guess i might miss taraveeh few days and not the other few days. Should I start Taraveeh then? Or no don't start at all?

Thanks.

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramisa
08-22-2009, 08:29 PM
:sl:

Taraweeh is not fardh but sunnah. The Prophet(peace and blessings be upon him) only read Taraweeh some nights to forbid the thinking of the believers that Taraweeh is fardh, if they thought it was fardh they would complete it with that intention,but if they knew it was Sunnah they would complete it with the intention of pleasing Allah. It doesn't matter if you can pray Taraweeh some days and not others as it is Sunnah. You get the intention of trying to make it but can't. Allah rewards like this:If you make a good intention but don't do it you still get a good deed,however if you think of a bad deed and don't do it, you don't get the bad deed for intending it,only doing it.

Najm
08-22-2009, 08:31 PM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Alhamdulillah! Akhi do what you are able to do now, and when the times comes, and if you not able to go to the Masjid, then pray at home.

Also where i live, they also do a second Jamaat. If they do that in your locality then you should try a pray at the Masjib.

The rewards are much much greater when you pray in a Jamaat!!!

FiAmaaniAllah

limitless
08-22-2009, 11:45 PM
The thing is the masjid is far. University is also far from my home. I have to literally take multple buses to get to University. And my chemistry labs and lectures are at night from 6-9 or 7-10pm. I might be able to get out for breaking my fast...but taraveeh isn't possible. When I get home it will be around 10-11pm. And the second one starts at 11:45pm in a different city masjid than the one I reside. You can see, I won't be able to do Taraveeh for the last remaining 10 days of ramadan :(. I will try on weekends , but that is the most I can do.

I just wanted to know if i can attend taraveeh? Since I missed yesterday, the one prior to starting ramadan! So my mom said, I can't do taraveeh and if i do start, i have to finish it. I wanted to confirm that because right now I am free and have nothing really better to do! So the sister confirmed that and that is true, intention matters! I was going because of Allah swt. So is there an ruling on this? That would good to know.

But if it is a must to attend taraveeh then i guess i can't start, or the fact i missed the first day.. :(.

Anyway, thanks!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GreyKode
08-22-2009, 11:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless
The thing is the masjid is far. University is also far from my home. I have to literally take multple buses to get to University. And my chemistry labs and lectures are at night from 6-9 or 7-10pm. I might be able to get out for breaking my fast...but taraveeh isn't possible. When I get home it will be around 10-11pm. And the second one starts at 11:45pm in a different city masjid than the one I reside. You can see, I won't be able to do Taraveeh for the last remaining 10 days of ramadan :(. I will try on weekends , but that is the most I can do.

I just wanted to know if i can attend taraveeh? Since I missed yesterday, the one prior to starting ramadan! So my mom said, I can't do taraveeh and if i do start, i have to finish it. I wanted to confirm that because right now I am free and have nothing really better to do! So the sister confirmed that and that is true, intention matters! I was going because of Allah swt. So is there an ruling on this? That would good to know.

But if it is a must to attend taraveeh then i guess i can't start, or the fact i missed the first day.. :(.

Anyway, thanks!!
Absolutely NOT. You can attend taraweeh whenever you can, there is no rule that says if you miss it once you can't go on.
It's a very nice experience instead of wasting time watching tv or internet(LI forums :P) unless youre studying ofcourse.

Beardo
08-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Taraweeh is Sunnah Muakkadah- like the 2 rakaats you pray before fajr, or the four rakaats you pray before zuhr, and the two after.

You can pray the 20 Rakaat at home, but it's not the same reward. Personally, I try my utmost to organize my classes such that science classes are taken during the semesters wherein Ramadhan does not coincide.

By praying at home, you lose the reward of jamaat, Masjid, and Qur'aan completion/khatam. Though your situation is a bit tight. Hope this helps! :D

Najm
08-23-2009, 12:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless

Anyway, thanks!!

SubhaanAllah! Tarawih is not a must. The Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi WaSalam) prayed couple of nights in the Masjid, and then at home to show this.

There is no " start it, finish it". Go when you can, and when you cant pray at home. I do suggest to make the most of it, while you are able to go to the Masjid as the rewards are so high.

FiAmaaniAllah.

Beardo
08-23-2009, 12:19 AM
^ I'd beg to differ. An emphasis should be made on attending the common congregation.

The reason the beloved Prophet Sallallahu Alayhe Wasallam altered was because if he went every day, it would have become Fardh.

GreyKode
08-23-2009, 12:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
^ I'd beg to differ. An emphasis should be made on attending the common congregation.

The reason the beloved Prophet Sallallahu Alayhe Wasallam altered was because if he went every day, it would have become Fardh.
But if one can't avoid missing some days of taraweeh, should he then stop attending it completely?

Najm
08-23-2009, 12:30 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by GreyKode
But if one can't avoid missing some days of taraweeh, should he then stop attending it completely?

Emphasis to attend Jamaat is always there. Tarawih is not fard. One does not have to perform it. However it is highly recommend.

The brother isnt able to make it to the Masjid for the Tarawih, not even the later one, when his study starts. However right now he is able, hence i expect him at the Masjid.

And one should not stop completley just because he aint able to come some days!

Please do correct me :embarrass

FiAmaaniAllah

Beardo
08-23-2009, 12:47 AM
As I said, "an emphasis should be made..."

if one is unable, then he is left with no other choice but to perform the Salaah by himself.

hrm
08-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Taraweeh is Sunnah Muakkadah- like the 2 rakaats you pray before fajr, or the four rakaats you pray before zuhr, and the two after.

You can pray the 20 Rakaat at home, but it's not the same reward. Personally, I try my utmost to organize my classes such that science classes are taken during the semesters wherein Ramadhan does not coincide.

By praying at home, you lose the reward of jamaat, Masjid, and Qur'aan completion/khatam. Though your situation is a bit tight. Hope this helps! :D
:sl::statisfie
Taraveeh was discontinued in congregation by Rasul Allah s.a.w. as he feared it would be considered as mandatory by his followers and would be made as such by Allah through a legislation. Rasul Allah wanted to bring ease to his followers not hardship and as such this practice was given up during the remaining part of his prophethood. The greatest of all Sahaba and the greatest of Rasul Allah's follower was Hazrat Abu Bakr Sadique r.z. and he never ordered or practiced congregational taraveh. It was more a private matter than a congregational one. During his reign as Caliph no congragation of Taraveeh took place in the mosques. It was later on in the reign of Umar Faarook r.z. that he observed some muslims praying taraveh and some not that he ordered prayers under one imam. He even fixed( according to some sources) the number of taraveh rakat as 20.
So Alhumdullah we are following the sunnah of Amirul Momeneen khalifatu saani Hazrat Umar Farook r.z when we go and pray taraveh in congregation in the mosque.
So anyone who increases in goodness will be rewarded by Allah and anyone who wishes not to pray taraveh in congregation will not be taken to account for it nor will he deprived of his good deeds inshallah.
This is part of my research on Taraveh. Anyone, however, may differ.
Allah knows best.
May Allah reward all muslameen and musleemaat who wishes to increase in good deeds of/on their own accord. Aameen
:wa::statisfie

Sources to the background to taraveeh

Imam Muslim (Book of Prayers)
Book 004, Number 1663:
Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) used to exhort (his Companions) to pray (at night) during Ramadan without commanding them to observe it as an obligatory act, and say: He who observed the night prayer in Ramadan because of faith and seeking his reward (from Allah), all his previous sins would be forgiven

Book 004, Number 1666:
'A'isha reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) prayed one night in the mosque and people also prayed along with him. He then prayed on the following night and there were many persons. Then on the third or fourth night (many people) gathered there, but the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) did not come out to them (for leading the Tarawih prayer). When it was morning he said: I saw what you were doing, but I desisted to come to you (and lead the prayer) for I feared that this prayer might become obligatory for you. (He the narrator) said: It was the month of Ramadan.

Sahih Bukhari
Volume 3, Book 32, Number 227:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever prayed at night the whole month of Ramadan out of sincere Faith and hoping for a reward from Allah, then all his previous sins will be forgiven." Ibn Shihab (a sub-narrator) said, "Allah's Apostle died and the people continued observing that (i.e. Nawafil offered individually, not in congregation), and it remained as it was during the Caliphate of Abu Bakr and in the early days of 'Umar's Caliphate." 'Abdur Rahman bin 'Abdul Qari said, "I went out in the company of 'Umar bin Al-Khattab one night in Ramadan to the mosque and found the people praying in different groups. A man praying alone or a man praying with a little group behind him. So, 'Umar said, 'In my opinion I would better collect these (people) under the leadership of one Qari (Reciter) (i.e. let them pray in congregation!)'. So, he made up his mind to congregate them behind Ubai bin Ka'b. Then on another night I went again in his company and the people were praying behind their reciter. On that, 'Umar remarked, 'What an excellent Bid'a (i.e. innovation in religion) this is; but the prayer which they do not perform, but sleep at its time is better than the one they are offering.' He meant the prayer in the last part of the night. (In those days) people used to pray in the early part of the night."

Some more sources:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarawih

http://www.haqislam.org/the-1400-yea...raweeh-salaah/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!