/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ramadanyat

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

جوري
08-23-2009, 04:06 AM
:sl:
So how did you spend your first day of Ramadan? and what did you break your fast on?

This day went rather fast (for me) I was sleep deprived for a few days, and though we had guests today I could barely keep my eyes open..
I woke up 15 mins shy of breakfast.. we had a feat but I wasn't very hungry.. to be honest I still want to sleep some more.. it is catching up with me the deprivation of the past two weeks...

we had rotisserie chicken today, some spinach burek?

stuffed courgettes except ours were stuffed with meat

taro soup

2546775973 0a66425fa3 1?v0 -

lamb chops

other things which I can't remember as I wasn't sitting on that side of the table..

for drinks we had
Roselle

milk and that thing calles 'khoshaf' I don't know what that is in English..

and qatayef for desert

which I don't care for, so I had oatmeal instead..

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramisa
08-23-2009, 04:10 AM

It was neutral for me as I was restless the whole day,anxious...I tried to sleep but did more to serve Allah. Alhumdulilah. Feels good to fast. I simpily broke my fast with a Kajoor. After a while,I ate my dinner. Alhumdulilah,anxiously waiting Iftaari...

JazakAllah Khayr for asking:)

جوري
08-23-2009, 04:11 AM
what is kajoor?

Ramisa
08-23-2009, 04:13 AM
In order words,kajoor means date. Kajoor is the Urdu translation of the word date.:)

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
08-23-2009, 04:17 AM
oh lol.. sounds like a delightful name for a girl or a cat..
eat something wholesome for sihoor insha'Allah

Tony
08-23-2009, 05:11 AM
I was happy just about all day, spent alot of time with my Algerian friend who is teaching me things and helping buil our house. Did some cementing in fire place, housework etc etc. Broke fast with dates and ate chicken and soup Algerian style, prayed Isha with my two sons hamdulillah.

جوري
08-23-2009, 05:22 AM
sounds like an honest good day.. I like when people spend Ramadan as they would any regular day but only wiser..
I have been to places where folks spend all day in front of soaps and all night stuffing themselves... it is unfortunate..

Tony
08-23-2009, 05:27 AM
Yes a normal day with the added bonus of doing something special for Allah, its first time I fully understand Ramadhaan and I really love it. Trying to get sunnah right inorder to become better Muslim when its over insha'Allah

جوري
08-23-2009, 06:14 AM
I didn't understand Ramadan fully until recently myself and I was born Muslim.. I suspect, it will evolve even more as one grows sage and wise..
I wish you every blessing this Ramadan Tony (and the ummah)
do share pix of your food if you can lol.. visual aid helps..
usually the Malaysians beat us with their dazzling sites and foods from their towns..

I want to see some Ramadan pictures insha'Allah

جوري
08-23-2009, 06:18 AM
I am afraid to google the 2009 photos lest I end up seeing more offensive material against Muslims.. :hmm:

Tony
08-23-2009, 06:20 AM
sorry I am abit rubbish at the photo posting thing, I think I might learn today insha'Allah

جوري
08-23-2009, 06:24 AM
:haha: sounds promising.. can't wait to see how those turn out..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-23-2009, 10:02 AM
I opened my iftaar with dates and roohafza then prayed.

This is what Roohafza looks like with milk.

or you could have it with water.

I also had chicken tikka with rice :p

I think it was fairly decent...not too heavy Alhamdulillah but enough to keep me going.

aadil77
08-23-2009, 10:07 AM
:p its not chicken tikka unless its BBQ'ed^

now is not the right time to post food pics lol

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-23-2009, 10:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
So how did you spend your first day of Ramadan? and what did you break your fast on?

This day went rather fast (for me) I was sleep deprived for a few days, and though we had guests today I could barely keep my eyes open..
I woke up 15 mins shy of breakfast.. we had a feat but I wasn't very hungry.. to be honest I still want to sleep some more.. it is catching up with me the deprivation of the past two weeks...

taro soup

lamb chops

other things which I can't remember as I wasn't sitting on that side of the table..

for drinks we had
Roselle

and qatayef for desert

Omg that looks delicious...all of it :statisfie

Rebel
08-23-2009, 11:33 AM
mubarek 3aleikum il shahr <_< The title is so misleading... you coulda at least put a warning :ermm:

How can anyone drink this :hmm:?

Oh, and what's that pink drink? Strawberry milkshake or summat :X?

S_87
08-23-2009, 01:02 PM

for suhoor i had a little cereal and some tea, cant eat too heavy at that time!
and for iftar yesterday i did fried chicken, chips, sweet corn n beans with some samosas..and of course tea!!! that was at like 8:45pm though so again cant eat too heavy.
that spinach burek looks nice! what is it?

oh and yesterday got some big breads for today for a nice meat curry :) or for its real name 'naan ghos'

the pink milk is falood-rooh hasfsa is the brand :? its like sweet syrup, the pink is just colour..it could be any colour

Muhaba
08-23-2009, 01:26 PM
dates & watermelon & grapes & chicken curry with potatoes & a bun for iftar. after taraweeh my landlady sent some syrian food, pasta and some baked bread with cheese inside (don't know what it's called).

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-23-2009, 02:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
:p its not chicken tikka unless its BBQ'ed^

now is not the right time to post food pics lol
That's not my photo. Plus..I have like a mini grill :statisfie

So ha! lol

I did that after sehri, the postin.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-23-2009, 02:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Lol, we have this too.
I love roohafza :statisfie

format_quote Originally Posted by Rebel
Oh, and what's that pink drink? Strawberry milkshake or summat :X?
No it's called roohafza, comes in different colors. It's a syrup :D I think from rose? This one at least.

format_quote Originally Posted by amani

that spinach burek looks nice! what is it?

Yea it looks yummy!

جوري
08-23-2009, 05:46 PM
I tried multiple quote on this thread but it didn't work.. am I the last person to learn about everything imsad

anyhow, since I can't do it the proper way, let me see what I wanted to write..
1- what is that pink/white drink
2-the red drink is popular called roselle (it tastes herbal)
3- Br. Alpha if you can find the old thread perhaps we can merge them insha'Allah
4- what is rhoofaza?

YusufNoor
08-23-2009, 06:15 PM

we splurged for our ONLY time this month, In Sha'a Allah!

we had sambusa [the splurge. 3 left, after that no more! unhealthy they are!]

my wife took some of the meant for the sambusa and plopped it on some tiny hamburger buns. topped them with shredded italian cheese and popped them into the toaster oven. THOSE were good! we may have more, In Sha'a Allah! :D

we also had rice and veggies. zucchini and summer squash sauteed with onions and broccoli. [when nearly cooked add a bit of martinellis [sparkling apple juice (a vino substitute) top off with some butter!]

i've been sick so i rested most of the day, sent the wife to visit her mom. :D:D:D

:nervous:

i went to a website with some "new" Tafseer of Surat Al Kahf by Bilal Philips. we have a version on dvd and i wanted to see if it was different. it was, so i downloaded some, spliced and burnt the first 4 cds. this right here:

http://www.kalamullah.com/kahf.html

i also listen to the 1st 2 Juz of the Qur'an by Mufti Menk and Hafz Faizur Rahman, this here:

http://www.soukislam.com/shopexd.asp?id=656

IbnAbdulHakim
08-23-2009, 06:26 PM
going to have grilled chicken with cous-cous complimented with loadsa vegetables in half an hour inshAllah

looks amazing :D

GuestFellow
08-23-2009, 06:51 PM
My first fast went alright. Just went like another normal day for me. When I broke my fast I had date and a bowl of rice...other than that I didn't felt like eating.

Bub
08-23-2009, 09:29 PM
1st day, iflar was brilliant expect felt full up but today was better, i ate dessert after iflar and of course drank mint tea! good thread for ramadaan mashaAllah, i will try 2 charge up my digital camera and take pics 4 ilfar meal tomorrow inshaAllah i love date, its so nice, i usally dont like arabic sweet, im so fussy! anyway ramdhaan kermeen 2 u all!

Hayaa
08-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Assalaamualaykum

I unfortunately caught a bad cold-right when Ramadan started. What perfect timing <_<
Please make dua for me that I get better soon so I can fast; it stinks to be sick during Ramadan :(

Ummu Sufyaan
08-24-2009, 12:20 PM
some sweets we had today

Rebel
08-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Allahumma inni sa2im <_<

These are luqaymat, innit? I love them :D Ramadhan just wouldn't be the same without them

bil 3afiyah.

touba
08-24-2009, 12:51 PM

taro soup

lamb chops

for drinks we had
Roselle

and qatayef for desert

Assalamou alaikoum abla,

Cok guzel spinach burek Mashallah , Hayri ramadan

Whatsthepoint
08-24-2009, 12:58 PM
taro soup

Mmm this one looks delicious. what exactly is taro?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-24-2009, 02:12 PM
I tried multiple quote on this thread but it didn't work.. am I the last person to learn about everything imsad

anyhow, since I can't do it the proper way, let me see what I wanted to write..
1- what is that pink/white drink

4- what is rhoofaza?

Sis the pinkish white drink is Roohafza with milk. I gave an example of it without milk and jus water.

Here is the syrup itself.

^^That can come in different flavors/colors. The red is rose syrup.

Roohafza means "which nourishes the soul." It's an Urdu phrase.

Rooh - soul
Afza - that which nourishes.

S_87
08-24-2009, 02:31 PM

todays meal inshaAllah is gonna be
naan chicken wrap and

for dessert *currently in process of making* banoffee pie :D

IbnAbdulHakim
08-24-2009, 03:06 PM
today for iftar - yesterdays left overs :D

- IqRa -
08-24-2009, 03:12 PM

Tony
08-24-2009, 03:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fighting4Iman
today for iftar - yesterdays left overs :D
me too alhamdulillah

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-24-2009, 03:53 PM
For iftaar today:

Spinach and rice...Asian style of course. I'm sure the desi's here know :D

جوري
08-24-2009, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Mmm this one looks delicious. what exactly is taro?
It is a potato type thing .. that is what it looks like

I don't know how it is cooked.. but my mom says that it is very starchy and has to be washed thoroughly as to not be slimy ..
then I am not sure how she makes this green soup for it, and adds the little cubes of taro but it is really pretty yummy and different, like nothing you've ever tasted I guarantee...

جوري
08-24-2009, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
Sis the pinkish white drink is Roohafza with milk. I gave an example of it without milk and jus water.

Here is the syrup itself.

^^That can come in different flavors/colors. The red is rose syrup.

Roohafza means "which nourishes the soul." It's an Urdu phrase.

Rooh - soul
Afza - that which nourishes.

Jazaki Allah khyran.. I guess it is what we call rose sherbet...
it is very nice I love it..just never heard of it with milk :embarrass

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Yes it's called sherbat too :D

wa iyaaki sis. It's good with milk lol.

Cabdullahi
08-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Mashallah...nice food i will be cooking paratha/chapati with canned beans...its delicious but i wont be posting images, do not want to spoil the beautiful chain of images

closerthantheveins
08-24-2009, 05:49 PM
u all r soo luky u no hw 2 cook , the onli fing i no hw 2 make is cereal and toast

Tony
08-24-2009, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by pretty.in.hijab
u all r soo luky u no hw 2 cook , the onli fing i no hw 2 make is cereal and toast
lol. Cheese and worscershire sauce on toast
beans and egg on toast
CHOCOLATE spread on toast
tomatoes and peeper on toast
tuna and sweetcorn on toast
prawn toast
soup and toast
Takeawy curry (without toast
Pizza (toast optional)
or just toast
Crumpets
muffins
waffles

closerthantheveins
08-24-2009, 05:56 PM
i cnt do nun of dose, bleev it or not sumtymz my toast even gets burnt im just glad my mum cooks wiked nyc food lol

Tony
08-24-2009, 05:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by pretty.in.hijab
i cnt do nun of dose, bleev it or not sumtymz my toast even gets burnt im just glad my mum cooks wiked nyc food lol
lol, who cares if you can cook or not then sister, enjoy your mums cooking tonight:D

IbnAbdulHakim
08-24-2009, 05:58 PM
well done Tony!

well done!

gave me a fat craving for toast now :(

Tony
08-24-2009, 06:00 PM
well done Tony!

well done!

gave me a fat craving for toast now :(
haha dont worry about the toast, its the roast chiken breast you should try to avoid considering (sorry) May Allah bless you brother, Ameen

closerthantheveins
08-24-2009, 06:02 PM
u sure no hw 2 make a person hungry lol

IbnAbdulHakim
08-24-2009, 06:02 PM
^ lol ameen

gnna have left over pasta - couscous and other stuff tonight :)

Tony
08-24-2009, 06:05 PM
chicken and sweetcorn casserole, potatos and soup from my Algerian mates wife insha'Allah.
I feel abit bad as I have been going online to try and focus on something other than fasting today.....Lost weight already too;D

closerthantheveins
08-24-2009, 06:06 PM
do u no hw 2 make all dis stuff?

Tony
08-24-2009, 06:26 PM
yes, always been able to cook, used to cook for 20 plus ppl 2ce a day at work. cooking is great way to focus ur mind and learn time management (on toast)

جوري
08-24-2009, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tony
lol. Cheese and worscershire sauce on toast
beans and egg on toast
CHOCOLATE spread on toast
tomatoes and peeper on toast
tuna and sweetcorn on toast
prawn toast
soup and toast
Takeawy curry (without toast
Pizza (toast optional)
or just toast
Crumpets
muffins
waffles

lol..I can tell your hungry.. doing this much with toast requires contemplation :p who would have thunk it?

:shade:

Sister_Zee
08-24-2009, 07:54 PM

todays meal inshaAllah is gonna be
naan chicken wrap and

for dessert *currently in process of making* banoffee pie :D

Salaam,

How are you sis?! Insha'Allah khier? How you’ve been? :D

That looks so good! How did it go, share the recipe please. :D

We had today sfeeha (http://www.orchidboard.com/community...539/sfeeha.jpg) with laban (yogurt) and lentil and thyme salad.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-24-2009, 08:15 PM
:o That looks delicious sister Zee.

Snowflake
08-24-2009, 08:30 PM
I tried to do as much worship as possible, so read 2 juz, tried to do extra dikhr between salahs and came on LI for breaks when my head felt it would burst lol. I opened my fast with dates, then later had a roti-chicken wrap and mango juice.

Bub
08-24-2009, 09:52 PM
I didnt eat very much after ilfar- full up! :( inshaAllah i will eat lot around 3am

جوري
08-24-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't know how to cook either but I got some books.. I stick with the soup book because it is really simple lol..

here it is, it is good to start with and nothing takes more than 30 mins to make or prepare etc..

I really was saved by this book when my mom was away.. just put garlic and olive oil on french bread and stick with the oven and make one of the hundred easy to follow and colorful recipes in this book .. and you are a master of your craft..

Danah
08-24-2009, 11:38 PM
I dont know why most of people gain more weight in Ramadan when I lose some few pounds in Ramadan :?

is it like their appetite is stronger? or what:?
when I see many dishes at the time of Iftar I lose the appetite :(

happynur
08-25-2009, 05:30 AM
wow... everything looks delicious...
right know in indonesia, is dhuhur already... :)

syilla
08-25-2009, 06:10 AM
I didn't understand Ramadan fully until recently myself and I was born Muslim.. I suspect, it will evolve even more as one grows sage and wise..
I wish you every blessing this Ramadan Tony (and the ummah)
do share pix of your food if you can lol.. visual aid helps..
usually the Malaysians beat us with their dazzling sites and foods from their towns..

I want to see some Ramadan pictures insha'Allah

lol...sorry i just realise this thread... ;D

InshaAllah I will post them up... but first i've to buy energizer battery for my camera.... :embarrass

north_malaysian
08-25-2009, 06:35 AM
I only knew about this thread.. after syilla told me on "Ramadan 2009 Pics" thread... how come I missed this one...:exhausted

north_malaysian
08-25-2009, 06:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
lol...sorry i just realise this thread... ;D

InshaAllah I will post them up... but first i've to buy energizer battery for my camera.... :embarrass
advertisement? ;D

syilla
08-25-2009, 06:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
advertisement? ;D
nah...is the truth. other batteries doesn't work with my camera. I think both of the brands is callobrating or something... :exhausted

I had this yesterday

Uncooked spring rolls... I think ;D

north_malaysian
08-25-2009, 06:57 AM
nah...is the truth. other batteries doesn't work with my camera. I think both of the brands is callobrating or something... :exhausted

I had this yesterday

Uncooked spring rolls... I think ;D
Popia Basah = Wet Spring Rolls?

north_malaysian
08-25-2009, 07:06 AM
I am not good in taking pics of food... so I'm taking other people's pics :exhausted

These were what I had for Iftar last night:

Ayam Percik = Grilled Chicken with special kind of sauce, literally "Ayam Percik" means "Splashed Chicken"

Masalodeh a.k.a. Vaddai (South Indian food, I think that those are made from lentils)

Taukua Sumbat (Stuffed Tofu)

S_87
08-25-2009, 11:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister_Zee
Salaam,

How are you sis?! Insha'Allah khier? How you’ve been? :D

That looks so good! How did it go, share the recipe please. :D

We had today sfeeha (http://www.orchidboard.com/community...539/sfeeha.jpg) with laban (yogurt) and lentil and thyme salad.

Fine Alhumdulillah :D you?
it came out good :statisfie i used this recipe:
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/556/banoffee-tart.aspx
but for biscuit base i used maryland cookies and added one more tbsp butter and it was fine. And the condensed milk can was only 397grms but it worked out fine for base and only needed 3 bananas lol.

got any dessert suggestions? :nervous:

tonights iftar is gonna be inshaAllah bean and potato pie.

Ummu Sufyaan
08-25-2009, 11:59 AM
got any dessert suggestions?
cheesecake!

Muhaba
08-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Here's a recipe for Pakistan dessert:

Delicious Gulab Jamun

Ingredients:

¾ cup sugar (6 oz / 175 g) (or which 2/3 cup is for syrup, remaining 1/12 cup for gulab jamun)

2 ½ cups water (1 pint / 600 ml)

8 green cardamom pods

2 tbsp self-raising flour (1 oz / 30 g)

½ cup powdered skimmed milk (4 oz / 125 gm)

2 tbsp ghee or butter (1 oz / 30 g)

2 tbsp cream cheese (1 oz / 30 g)

1 – 2 tbsp rosewater (15 – 30 ml)

Milk or plain low-fat yogurt

Oil for deep frying

Ø Put 2/3 cup (5 oz / 155 g) of sugar with the measured water in a wide saucepan or deep frying pan.

Stir over gentle heat until sugar has dissolved, then add cardamom pods, increase heat, and boil for 15 minutes to make a light syrup.

Reduce heat to lowest setting to keep syrup warm.

Ø Combine flour and powdered milk in a bowl.

Rub in ghee or butter, then add remaining sugar (1/12 cup), cream cheese, rose water, and enough milk or yogurt (about 2 tbsp / 20 ml) to form asoft dough.

Knead lightly and roll into 18 small balls.

Ø Heat oil for deep frying. Cook jamuns in small batches, keeping them moving in the oil until they are golden-brown all over.

Ø Remove jamuns with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels for 5 minutes.

Remove syrup from heat. Set aside about a cup of syrup to pour over jamuns later. Carefully add jamuns to remaining syrup. Allow to cool to room temperature in syrup.

To serve, transfer jamuns to individual plates with a slotted spoon. Then add 2 – 3 tbsp (30 – 45 ml) syrup from the syrup that was set aside.

Ø Tip: these small dumplings in a syrup are a traditional dessert. They are usually made with full fat powdered milk. However, since this is not always easy to obtain, this recipe uses skimmed milk powder and adds cream cheese. Therefore, you can alternate the skimmed milk powder and cream cheese for whole milk powder.

S_87
08-25-2009, 12:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed

cheesecake!

inshaAllah yes when i get some cream cheese...what flavour :?

Ummu Sufyaan
08-25-2009, 12:51 PM
this one real nice...
http://www.box.net/shared/xqibbqgt7d
let me know if you cant read the writing :X tip: just increase the text :D

Cabdullahi
08-25-2009, 01:56 PM
ramadan is not about food you guys have lost it........

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Hey if u wana advise people, do it nicely inshaAllah. It's not gonna make a diffference talking like you are :)

Rebel
08-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Party pooper :D

Rebel
08-25-2009, 02:18 PM
About an hour left for iftaar... I feel like pasta.

Cabdullahi
08-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Hey if u wana advise people, do it nicely inshaAllah. It's not gonna make a diffference talking like you are :)
i dont think i could have said it in a nicer way..................i tell it like it is no beating around the bush

may every1 have a their fast accepted inshallah

Rebel
08-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Well, brother... just because everyone's talking about food on this specific thread, it doesn't mean that's all they're worried about this Ramadhan.

Ameen.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Well technically you could of said so by leaving out the part where you think we have all lost our minds. That's not nice at all. Talking directly and not beating around the bush doesn't necessarily mean it should equate to attacks :)

Ameen to you're du'a. Btw the dots tell a lot too :p

Well, brother... just because everyone's talking about food on this specific thread, it doesn't mean that's all they're worried about this Ramadhan.

Ameen.
:) yeap

Rebel
08-25-2009, 02:33 PM
I feel like kufta ib labna now

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Who or what is that?

Nájlá
08-25-2009, 02:44 PM
kufta ib labna is yummy...

we had lazanya yesterday...

Cabdullahi
08-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Well technically you could of said so by leaving out the part where you think we have all lost our minds. That's not nice at all. Talking directly and not beating around the bush doesn't necessarily mean it should equate to attacks :)

Ameen to you're du'a. Btw the dots tell a lot too :p

:) yeap

'lost it' was never an attack........what i ment when i said 'lost it' was that we are forgetting the true essence, the true meaning of ramadan and what its about in terms of ibadah.... fantasizing about food wont help us in any way...........

peace

- IqRa -
08-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Moving ON

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-25-2009, 02:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
'lost it' was never an attack........what i ment when i said 'lost it' was that we are forgetting the true essence, the true meaning of ramadan and what its about in terms of ibadah.... fantasizing about food wont help us in any way...........

peace
Ahhh see that would have been nice to say. And since you have, JazakAllah Khayr for the reminder :) Choosing your words help :) InshaAllah I haven't forgotten since Alhamdulillah I've been doing other things. We were just sharing foods. May Allah forgive me if I have erred, Ameen.

Anyway time to pick up the Qur'aan again.

:sl: :)

IbnAbdulHakim
08-25-2009, 05:43 PM
tonight looks like its gnna b plain white rice wiv some veggies :D

closerthantheveins
08-25-2009, 05:49 PM
luky u!! i cnt eat at all..ill probably just hv water 4 iftari

Sister_Zee
08-25-2009, 08:25 PM
:o That looks delicious sister Zee.
Yup, it is very nice sister light in heaven, it is pastry with ground meat on it (with other stuff).

Fine Alhumdulillah you?
it came out good i used this recipe:
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/556/banoffee-tart.aspx
but for biscuit base i used maryland cookies and added one more tbsp butter and it was fine. And the condensed milk can was only 397grms but it worked out fine for base and only needed 3 bananas lol.

got any dessert suggestions?
Alhamdulilah I’m well sis amani :D

Thanks! Yeah some of these recipes need tweaking :D

I always have dessert suggestions! I did a Mississippi mud cake today, though I haven’t posted the recipe yet.

http://silverdesserts.wordpress.com/recipes/

I feel like kufta ib labna now
Haha! Rebel We had kafta bisuniyeh today with cucumber laban salad. :p Tafdal for suhur then :D

(something similar to this: http://www.georgefamily.net/cookbook/44SKufta.html)

Muhaba
08-25-2009, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Luloah
kufta ib labna is yummy...

we had lazanya yesterday...

I love lasagna! Miss eating it.

Muhaba
08-25-2009, 08:51 PM
I try to read over one juz of the Quraan daily, go for taraweeh prayer, etc. & cook some nice food esp when we have guests.

جوري
08-25-2009, 09:27 PM
this thread is making me sooooooooooooooo hungry.. love all your foods.. nyum nyum nyum..

Tony
08-25-2009, 09:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
I dont know why most of people gain more weight in Ramadan when I lose some few pounds in Ramadan :?

is it like their appetite is stronger? or what:?
when I see many dishes at the time of Iftar I lose the appetite :(
It is because they eat then sleep, the calories just pile on as thier metabolism is not v active (Ithink)

جوري
08-25-2009, 09:34 PM
I have lost three pds since Ramadan started. I decided to take all the chances Ramadan affords us, by limiting myself to two meals, and the second meal (sihoor) I have one of those (atkins diet bars) it has 18 grams of protein and keeps me quite satisfied plus it has chocolate which is the only thing I can never give up.. I cut the soda completely because I can't stand feeling so bubbly at breakfast which is almost around 8PM.. also I notice that if I load myself too much at iftart that I am able to make sujood in my prayers, for everything recurs on me and I feel like I have to get up gasping for breath (it was actually the reason I gave up soda too) which on a regular day is my Achilles..

Muhaba
08-26-2009, 12:03 AM
I normally used to eat just two meals a day but now in Ramadan, can't keep myself from eating the post-taraweeh meal, even though I've been eating less than I used to at each mealtime (unless I go to iftar party, when I eat more). So I'm not sure if I will lose another kg by Saturday or not. But I'm trying my hardest to eat less.

Danah
08-26-2009, 12:10 AM
It is because they eat then sleep, the calories just pile on as thier metabolism is not v active (Ithink)
May be that one reason, but I think to fast for many hours then break your fast with some "heavy" meal all of sudden can lead to gain more weight.
so one way to avoid that is to eat something very light at the time of Adan like dates and a fresh juice, then after pray Maghrib its okay to eat the rest of food just to give the stomach a chance to work with digesting by start with some light food instead of killing our systems with heavy meals!

this is what we do here!

Muhaba
08-26-2009, 12:14 AM
i think ppl just eat a lot more at each meal time so end up gaining weight in Ramadan.

north_malaysian
08-26-2009, 12:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
i think ppl just eat a lot more at each meal time so end up gaining weight in Ramadan.
I think in Malaysia, the bigger problem is wasting the food... people cook at home like 4,5 dishes and in the same time buying 4,5 dishes more from Ramadhan Bazaar... and just imagine how many left-overs we have... and of course in the next day new meals are cooked and bought and yesterday's leftovers will be thrown away...

If you want to cook at home, dont buy food from Ramadan Bazaars or vice versa...

There was an advertisement about this problem last year on the tv..

Danah
08-26-2009, 12:53 AM
^ yeah, people go crazy with the number of dishes they have on the iftar table
as if they are in a contest to see who have more dishes <_< Asteghfirullah!!

syilla
08-26-2009, 01:50 AM
thats really look like grilled tofu right here in Malaysia... and also we had cucumber in it. but it has sauce made from soy and squid sauce/shrimp sauce
and not to forget sprinkle with crushed peanuts... :D

north_malaysian
08-26-2009, 02:16 AM
thats really look like grilled tofu right here in Malaysia... and also we had cucumber in it. but it has sauce made from soy and squid sauce/shrimp sauce
and not to forget sprinkle with crushed peanuts... :D

you cant get this in the northern region... for me the best one is at Kompleks Idaman (opposite Nasi Kandar Haji Tapah), Gombak, KL

syilla
08-26-2009, 02:57 AM
you cant get this in the northern region... for me the best one is at Kompleks Idaman (opposite Nasi Kandar Haji Tapah), Gombak, KL
InshaAllah one day I'll go there...when i visit or during my cousins's graduation this year....

syilla
08-26-2009, 03:26 AM
:D

wanna know what i ate for iftaar yesterday????

I ate UNRIPE SOUR MANGGO

before and after picture (bird eye chillies, sweet thick soy sauce, sugar and salt)...nyumnyum

well...my stomache can stand anything except for those non-halal food of course.

جوري
08-26-2009, 03:52 AM
I want to try Malaysian food.. you guys just have the oddest combination of things.. I'd never think of peanuts with squid sauce in the same dish.. or mangoes with chillies

syilla
08-26-2009, 03:58 AM
I want to try Malaysian food.. you guys just have the oddest combination of things.. I'd never thing of peanuts with squid sauce in the same dish.. or mangoes with chillies
i think your food looks delicious and looks as if it is been cooked by a hotel chef. :D The way it is been cooked...is far beyond my culinary knowledge and skills...lol

Do you know that the weirdest combination that i can think of...and very delicious to eat is Som Tam..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Som_tam

north_malaysian
08-26-2009, 04:00 AM
InshaAllah one day I'll go there...when i visit or during my cousins's graduation this year....
iium? the stall opens at night only..... and beside him there is another stall selling Char Koay Teow.

جوري
08-26-2009, 04:03 AM
i think your food looks delicious and looks as if it is been cooked by a hotel chef. :D The way it is been cooked...is far beyond my culinary knowledge and skills...lol
that is because it is.. I snatched the pix off the web, and even if my mom's looked like it exactly I still can't take credit for it.. all I can make is soup but with instructions :hmm:

Do you know that the weirdest combination that i can think of...and very delicious to eat is Som Tam..

what does this taste like?

north_malaysian
08-26-2009, 04:04 AM
I want to try Malaysian food.. you guys just have the oddest combination of things.. I'd never thing of peanuts with squid sauce in the same dish.. or mangoes with chillies
if you cant find a Malaysian restaurant there, then go to a certified halaal Chinese, Thai, Indonesian or Southern Indian restaurant... our food are the mixture of all those nations basically...

syilla
08-26-2009, 04:06 AM
iium? the stall opens at night only..... and beside him there is another stall selling Char Koay Teow.
MashaAllah i love char kuey teow.

http://www.malaysianfood.net/recipes...arkwayteow.htm

It made from flat rice noodles, soy sauce, shrimps, cockles, bean sprouts...

north_malaysian
08-26-2009, 04:07 AM

Som Tam is very delicious... the best at a Thai Muslim restaurant opposite Nilai Square... we had two plates of som tam!!!:exhausted

syilla
08-26-2009, 04:09 AM
that is because it is.. I snatched the pix off the web, and even if my mom's looked like it exactly I still can't take credit for it.. all I can make is soup but with instructions :hmm:

what does this taste like?

It tastes sour,sweet, a bit hot, crunchy... ;D

north_malaysian
08-26-2009, 04:09 AM

Those Char Koay Teows in KL are fake... too wet.... the original Char Koay Teow in Penang, the noodles are burnt and it's way drier than KL version..

syilla
08-26-2009, 04:18 AM
Those Char Koay Teows in KL are fake... too wet.... the original Char Koay Teow in Penang, the noodles are burnt and it's way drier than KL version..
lol yeah...

i should have taken the picture of tepung pelita... awh...neva mind theres plenty on the web...lol

my son, my mom and my hubby love these... :D (i'm not in the picture :p)

in banana leaves

here is another pic

the ingredients are

rice flour
sugar
pandan paste
coconut milk

جوري
08-26-2009, 04:20 AM
It tastes sour,sweet, a bit hot, crunchy... ;D
that would really confuse my taste buds :p

syilla
08-26-2009, 04:24 AM
that would really confuse my taste buds :p
at first...then after that they'll 'miss' the taste and hunger for more :p ;D

Rebel
08-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Haha! Rebel We had kafta bisuniyeh today with cucumber laban salad. Tafdal for suhur then
bil 3afiyah

hessa ti7cheen? Next time you i3zim someone, make sure you do it early <_<

I'm i3ziming myself 3al fu6oor tomorrow, though... n I want kufta ib labna w taboula (make it proper 7amdha) w ezme salad w... khalas

w kunafah for later

Speaking of su7oor, I know people who eat kabsa n all that stuff at su7oor

... I could never understand how they can eat that sorta stuff at that time

Muhaba
08-26-2009, 11:52 AM
I think in Malaysia, the bigger problem is wasting the food... people cook at home like 4,5 dishes and in the same time buying 4,5 dishes more from Ramadhan Bazaar... and just imagine how many left-overs we have... and of course in the next day new meals are cooked and bought and yesterday's leftovers will be thrown away...

If you want to cook at home, dont buy food from Ramadan Bazaars or vice versa...

There was an advertisement about this problem last year on the tv..
Can't they, like, give it to the poor instead of throwing it out? There must be a poor area in Malaysia. Maybe someone could organize something like a food bank where rich ppl can bring in their leftovers/extras and the poor ppl can take it.

Ummu Sufyaan
08-26-2009, 11:56 AM
bil 3afiyah http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...di/biggrin.gif

hessa ti7cheen? Next time you i3zim someone, make sure you do it early <_<

I'm i3ziming myself 3al fu6oor tomorrow, though... n I want kufta ib labna w taboula (make it proper 7amdha) w ezme salad w... khalas http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...di/biggrin.gif w kunafah for later http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v319/baghdadi/y.gif

Speaking of su7oor, I know people who eat kabsa n all that stuff at su7oor http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...hdadi/a055.gif... I could never understand how they can eat that sorta stuff at that time http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v319/baghdadi/1-1.jpg
the best thing to eat at su7oor is man2eesh with tea. i don't suggest eating dinner for breakfast, it would make you want to sleep for the rest of the day...

Muhaba
08-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Sister Ummul Shaheed, What is man2eesh?

Ummu Sufyaan
08-26-2009, 12:20 PM
^ this stuff...only ours look way nicer :P
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ugr5bDRsMO...0/CIMG1448.JPG

you can put cheese on them as well...

Rebel
08-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Umm ul-Shaheed, yep... and tea is a must. Dunt matter what time :p

Luloah, you're weird

As long as he gets on your nerves all the time, then it's all good.

S_87
08-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Yup, it is very nice sister light in heaven, it is pastry with ground meat on it (with other stuff).

Alhamdulilah I’m well sis amani :D

Thanks! Yeah some of these recipes need tweaking :D

I always have dessert suggestions! I did a Mississippi mud cake today, though I haven’t posted the recipe yet.

http://silverdesserts.wordpress.com/recipes/

thanks! the tiramisu is next on my list i think...i could just do with a spoon to dig into that pic :lol: it looks so good

Nájlá
08-26-2009, 01:03 PM

Luloah, you're weird. As long as he gets on your nerves all the time, then it's all good.
What you on about? :><: but thanks for reminding me am weird. I already know that!

Rebel
08-26-2009, 01:10 PM
shiklich niseiti. a7u6 your comment hnaa <_<?

il naas ma yitmashkaloon ib Ramadhan, BTW <_<

Nájlá
08-26-2009, 01:23 PM
I am known for havin a bad memory :><:

exactly! wa lazim nakoon mutsami7in fi ramadan btw. <_<

I think were having kabsa for 'asha today :D

Rebel
08-26-2009, 01:44 PM
khalas sama7tich :D

bil 3afiyah. Don't know what I'm having :><:

Bub
08-26-2009, 02:09 PM
how can i download the pics?

S_87
08-26-2009, 02:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bub
how can i download the pics?
upload on photobucket?

Bub
08-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks u sis

Its my favourite, i lost the count how many times i ate it, Oh Allah, it make me so hungry, hungry.

I dont know what its called :hiding:

Its cumber (cut it wiv small size) with yoghurt with a bit of salt & olive oil, so delicious! U should try it out

veggie soup

Arabic sweets but i do not like it expect dates :hiding::hiding:m (im so fussy with taste)

i do not know what its called, but its my favourite! very very sweet!

God, im really hungry now

IbnAbdulHakim
08-26-2009, 03:32 PM
leftovers all finished

today - roast chicken wiv pilau rice and kebab rolls

i dont think i can even have a quarter of it though - waaay too much food but we're feeding 20+ people :D

Bub
08-26-2009, 03:33 PM
its not work, argh!

Bub
08-26-2009, 03:34 PM
leftovers all finished

today - roast chicken wiv pilau rice and kebab rolls

i dont think i can even have a quarter of it though - waaay too much food but we're feeding 20+ people :D
Ok, now u make me hungry, i need ur help wiv download pics from photo bucker, im still new at it ha!:embarrass

IbnAbdulHakim
08-26-2009, 03:38 PM
if only i knew anything about it eh

www.photobucket.com <-- knowing this exists is as far as i know

Bub
08-26-2009, 03:44 PM
if only i knew anything about it eh

www.photobucket.com <-- knowing this exists is as far as i know
HAHA u make me laugh but i have account at it but all i did copy and paste the HMTL something, then it dont work? :heated:

Rebel
08-26-2009, 04:01 PM
You need to copy the IMG code not the HTML one.

Or get the direct link n place it between IMG tags, like this:

Bub
08-26-2009, 04:40 PM
thank u all! i edited it, so thanks Allah! Hope u like my pics! can u tell me the name of food which i comment above, thanks Rebel!

closerthantheveins
08-26-2009, 05:26 PM
whoa dis thread always makes me hungry-nyway all da food looks gr8 masha allah

Danah
08-26-2009, 05:35 PM
well...today we had the following in our Iftar:

Pizza

periwinkle pies with cheese

samosa of course!

toasts sandwiches of tuna

closerthantheveins
08-26-2009, 05:42 PM
well 2day 4 iftaari imhvin shepards pie, samosas and banana milkshake
and 4 desert im hvin chocolate concrete cake yum cnt w8

Bub
08-26-2009, 05:51 PM
paste and leftovers! an hour!!! cant wait

Bub
08-26-2009, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
well...today we had the following in our Iftar:

Pizza

periwinkle pies with cheese

samosa of course!

toasts sandwiches of tuna

very nice, yummy! ;D

Sister_Zee
08-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Salaam,

bil 3afiyah

hessa ti7cheen? Next time you i3zim someone, make sure you do it early

I'm i3ziming myself 3al fu6oor tomorrow, though... n I want kufta ib labna w taboula (make it proper 7amdha) w ezme salad w... khalas w kunafah for later

Speaking of su7oor, I know people who eat kabsa n all that stuff at su7oor ... I could never understand how they can eat that sorta stuff at that time
We waited for you! You didn’t show up <_< well ne7na akalnahum ;D

I have no idea, a small sandwich with fruits is enough for me, how can go about their day? +o(

Funny thing you would be hungry during the day imagining what you are going to eat but when iftar comes you eat a little bit and not as you thought you would. :><:

thanks! the tiramisu is next on my list i think...i could just do with a spoon to dig into that pic it looks so good
Be careful sis it is addictive :giggling: by the way if you have decaf coffee use it so it won’t keep you up.

Today, we had hamburgers, carrot soup and salad.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-26-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm having kashmiri pulao with raitha and kebabs :D

جوري
08-26-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm having kashmiri pulao with raitha and kebabs :D
I only understood kebab but it all sounds so mmmmmmm ... 23 more mins to break fast.. :p

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Ohh ur on my time zone sis :p Yea almost for me to. Leme put pics :D

This is the kashmiri rice. THis is whta ours looked like...minus the flowers lol. Btw there's diff kinds of them.

73633849 926d5e602f 1?v0 -

Raitha is a yogurt sauce. Normally with cucumber and mint. Some seasoning on top if you'd like. Sometimes we put cumin seeds.

That to eat with the rice :D

جوري
08-26-2009, 11:17 PM
I live in NY my dear invite me over for some of that kebab.. yes visual aid helps..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-26-2009, 11:20 PM
I'd love to invite u sis :statisfie. Lucky me that you're in NY! :D

جوري
08-26-2009, 11:22 PM
hehe.. not sure you'll consider yourself lucky if you got to see me on daily basis..:embarrass

oh pix of nyum nyums..:p

جوري
08-26-2009, 11:24 PM
i love that mint sauce I always have it from that afghani resturant on 26th and 3rd.. just lovvvvvvvve it with their kacheloos at least I believe it is spelled as such ..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-26-2009, 11:35 PM
The afghani sauce, I had at least, is different from raitha cuz raitha has cucumbers. But that sauce of theirs...soooo goodd. Where I go sometimes to eat, they're food is delicious and their naan omg, light fluffy yet crunchy too.

hehe.. not sure you'll consider yourself lucky if you got to see me on daily basis..:-[
Actually I would. I don't know many sisters in person nor do I hang out lol. Barely.

جوري
08-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Baraka Allah feeki.. I am now getting my fix of chocolate.. God I was going through withdrawal..

north_malaysian
08-27-2009, 12:42 AM
I had these for iftar last nite:

Nasi Goreng Kampung (Fried Rice Rural Style)

Sup Ayam (Chicken Soup)

Serawa Pisang (Banana Serawa - it's sweet porridge with bananas, those in KL call it as "Pengat Pisang")

Jus Pegaga (Pegaga Leave Juice)

In case you are wondering about "Pegaga Leave"... this is the plant..

جوري
08-27-2009, 12:45 AM
that is what I had today

plus

جوري
08-27-2009, 12:47 AM
your chicken soup looks really hearty and chickeny never seen this much chicken in a chicken soup before lol.

north_malaysian
08-27-2009, 02:01 AM
your chicken soup looks really hearty and chickeny never seen this much chicken in a chicken soup before lol.
i think it's Malaysian thingy to have lots of chicken meats with carrots, potatoes etc in a chicken soup...

Ramadhan
08-27-2009, 03:06 AM
For the first two days of iftar, I had:
- dates, followed by kolak pisang (sweet drink dessert with coconut milk, pieces of banans, sweet potatoes, and "kolang kaling" - some sort of palm fruits)

and then for the main course, I had "nasi padang".
padang is the region of west sumatra, and the various padang food are served in multitudes of small dishes, up to tens of them on a table.

and then for dessert I had "es teler", literally means "drunken ice", a concoction made of slices of avocado, young coconut meat, pieces of jackfruit, sugar palm fruit, condensed milk and shaved ice.

GetImageaspx?imageimgImage&ampImageID79 -

جوري
08-27-2009, 03:10 AM
ah come on, you got to tell us about those dishes .. start from that pitcher of water and work your way down..

Ummu Sufyaan
08-27-2009, 04:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bub

i do not know what its called, but its my favourite! very very sweet!

God, im really hungry now
we call 'em 'awayymaat
:Dhttp://www.islamicboard.com/1208545-post29.html

@ sis skye, im liking your bazelah :D whats the desert though :?

Ramadhan
08-27-2009, 05:36 AM

Ok, i will try my best to describe these food (although i am not from padang, so i hope I dont make many errors :)

anticlockwise from the empty water pitcher:
1. sayur nangka:
vegetables curry dish of young jackfruit, long beans, cabbages and some sort green leaves. "nangka" means jackfruit.
2. Ikan gulai tuna:
tuna fish in yellow sauce (made of tuna, coconut milk, shallots, garlic, lemongrass, turmeric, lime, chilis, ginger, bay leaves, sugar and salt)
3. Udang Balado:
Prawns in dry red sauce (made of prawns, big red chilis - not so spicy, small red chilis - extremely spicy hot, lime, lime leaves, shallots, garlic, tomatoes, javanase tamarind)
4. Sambal goreng telur puyuh:
Quail eggs in fried chilis (made of quail eggs, sometimes chicken liver, bay leaves, tomatoes, galangal – a family of ginger, shallots, garlic, red chilis, a little fish paste)
5. kalio kambing:
Lamb in brown curry sauce (made of lamb, shallots, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, turmeric, coconut milk or cow milk, lime, red chilis, black seed)
6. Ayam goreng rempah:
Fried chicken with spices (made of chicken, candle nuts, galangal, ginger, lemongrass, shallots, garlic, coriander, turmeric)
7. Sambel ijo (underneath the fried chicken plate, partially visible):
Green chilis. Sambal is almost inseparable from Indonesian dishes, it is what gives our food its strong kick  (this particular sambal hijau is made of big green chilis, vegetable oil, lime juice, green tomatoes, sugar, salt, anchovies).
8. Rendang Daging, the most famous of Padang dish (and favorite among many non-Indonesians):
Beef rendang, beef slow-cooked in curry sauce (made of beef, coconut milk, lemongrass, turmeric leaves, lime leaves, Javanese turmeric, galangal, shallots, garlic, red chilies).
9. Sambal goreng petai:
Stinky beans fried with red chilies. This I NEVER eat. You can learn about petai here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkia_speciosa
10. Kacang teri (placed on top of sambal goreng petai and sambal goreng udang):
Fried Peanuts with anchovies (made of fried peanuts, fried anchovies, red chilies, garlic, shallots, galangal, tamarind water)
11. (on the right, on top of rice) Gulai ayam:
Chicken with green curry (free range chicken, coconut milk, lemongrass, lime leaves, turmeric leaves, galangal, vinegar, red chilies, shallots, garlic, ginger, turmeric, candle nuts).

Of course I did not eat all these, although I did have a helping or two of most of those food :D
Naturally, it was difficult for me to get up and go to the mosque to pray Isha and Teraweh, but I did. 

Ramadhan
08-27-2009, 05:37 AM
Looking at all these pictures made me hungry and it's still mid day here

جوري
08-27-2009, 05:51 AM
ah thanks.. lol.. some of these ingredients I have never heard of before, and can only wonder of the taste..

syilla
08-27-2009, 05:54 AM
i'm not into food nowadays... i don't really know why :hmm:

I've no interesting food to share... InshaAllah this weekend. I'm going to stay with my in-laws...so InshaAllah there'll be some interesting food. :)

Tony
08-27-2009, 08:37 AM
We are ancouraged to be in a state of constant Wudhu during Ramadhaan, Acid reflux seems to be my constant state so far !!!!!!!!:hmm:

S_87
08-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Salaam,

Funny thing you would be hungry during the day imagining what you are going to eat but when iftar comes you eat a little bit and not as you thought you would. :><:
so true!! SubhanAllah

Be careful sis it is addictive :giggling: by the way if you have decaf coffee use it so it won’t keep you up.

i could do with something that keeps me up :p :omg:

all this malaysian/indonesian food makes me wanna go that side just to taste it all :hiding:

Rebel
08-27-2009, 01:32 PM
bil 3afiyah, Zee :D

Funny thing you would be hungry during the day imagining what you are going to eat but when iftar comes you eat a little bit and not as you thought you would.
Yeah, always wondered why that happened :><:

I'm starving :hmm:

I feel like doulma :D

Bub
08-27-2009, 06:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
Thank u so much for telling me sis! ;D im having sandwhich, chips and mince meat in half an hr!

Sister_Zee
08-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Yummy! Those above pics look great!

I could do with something that keeps me up
Lol, I always have a hard time with my brothers when I put regular coffee in desserts, they stay up all night. :nervous: :hiding:

Allah 3afeek Rebel :D

Maybe the stomach shirks due to fasting? Allahu alam. :ermm:

Another thing never go to the supermarket when you are fasting, you buy so many useless things that seem nice only then. ;D

We had Chinese corn soup, salad, and chicken in the oven, alhamdulilah.

جوري
08-27-2009, 11:17 PM

Another thing never go to the supermarket when you are fasting, you buy so many useless things that seem nice only then. ;D
Oh my God how true is that.. I always stop myself from doing that, then I ended up buying groceries from Amazon.com if you can believe that.. which is nuts mmmm nuts .. then since I couldn't wait for the crunchy munchy to get here I went to the super and purchased alot of regret for I have gained two of the three pounds I'd lost since the start of Ramadan yesterday alone.. (not to mention they weren't great tasting) bah :hmm:

Ramadhan
08-28-2009, 02:52 AM

I am also a big fan of char keuy teow!!
yummy!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-28-2009, 02:55 AM
I was at my aunts today for iftaar. We had kebab, chicken tikka, fruit salad and biryani...:)

Ramadhan
08-28-2009, 03:00 AM
Gulab jamun... hmmm..yuumm

it reminds me of the days working part time as a waiter in a north indian restaurant in australia during my college years.

chiken tikka, butter chicken, chicken tandoori yuumm yuuumm

format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
Here's a recipe for Pakistan dessert:

Delicious Gulab Jamun

Ingredients:

¾ cup sugar (6 oz / 175 g) (or which 2/3 cup is for syrup, remaining 1/12 cup for gulab jamun)

2 ½ cups water (1 pint / 600 ml)

8 green cardamom pods

2 tbsp self-raising flour (1 oz / 30 g)

½ cup powdered skimmed milk (4 oz / 125 gm)

2 tbsp ghee or butter (1 oz / 30 g)

2 tbsp cream cheese (1 oz / 30 g)

1 – 2 tbsp rosewater (15 – 30 ml)

Milk or plain low-fat yogurt

Oil for deep frying

Ø Put 2/3 cup (5 oz / 155 g) of sugar with the measured water in a wide saucepan or deep frying pan.

Stir over gentle heat until sugar has dissolved, then add cardamom pods, increase heat, and boil for 15 minutes to make a light syrup.

Reduce heat to lowest setting to keep syrup warm.

Ø Combine flour and powdered milk in a bowl.

Rub in ghee or butter, then add remaining sugar (1/12 cup), cream cheese, rose water, and enough milk or yogurt (about 2 tbsp / 20 ml) to form asoft dough.

Knead lightly and roll into 18 small balls.

Ø Heat oil for deep frying. Cook jamuns in small batches, keeping them moving in the oil until they are golden-brown all over.

Ø Remove jamuns with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels for 5 minutes.

Remove syrup from heat. Set aside about a cup of syrup to pour over jamuns later. Carefully add jamuns to remaining syrup. Allow to cool to room temperature in syrup.

To serve, transfer jamuns to individual plates with a slotted spoon. Then add 2 – 3 tbsp (30 – 45 ml) syrup from the syrup that was set aside.

Ø Tip: these small dumplings in a syrup are a traditional dessert. They are usually made with full fat powdered milk. However, since this is not always easy to obtain, this recipe uses skimmed milk powder and adds cream cheese. Therefore, you can alternate the skimmed milk powder and cream cheese for whole milk powder.

جوري
08-28-2009, 03:01 AM
we had this today.. pasta with meat in bachamel sauce..

Najm
08-28-2009, 03:56 AM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Today for iftar, my sister brought strawberries, my dad brought strawberry milkshake and i brought strawberry tart!!!! Such a coincidence!!!!

O Allah, thank you for the provisions you have provided for us. Ameen

FiAmaaniAllah

syilla
08-28-2009, 04:24 AM
we had this today.. pasta with meat in bachamel sauce..
MashaAllah delicious... Can you ask for the recipe and post it here :D

جوري
08-28-2009, 04:39 AM
MashaAllah delicious... Can you ask for the recipe and post it here :D
lol.. sure but it might give my mother the impression that I want to help her or that I am interested in cooking eeeeeekk :embarrass

جوري
08-28-2009, 04:43 AM
phew I found it on the web..

Ingredients

Bechamel sauce:

• 1 stick unsalted butter (4 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 quart whole milk, at room temperature
  • Pinch fresh nutmeg
  • Sea salt and white pepper
  • 1 cup grated fontina
  • 1/2 pound thinly sliced prosciutto, julienned
  • 1 pound dry rigatoni
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Bechamel sauce:

In a 2 quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes. Always stirring, gradually add the milk and continue to whisk until the sauce is smooth and creamy. Simmer until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. This will take approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in nutmeg, 1/2 cup fontina, prosciutto and season with salt and white pepper. Set aside.
In a large pot, bring to a boil 6 quarts of salted water. Add the rigatoni and cook for about 5 minutes. Since you will be cooking the pasta a second time in the oven, you want to make sure the inside is still hard. Drain in a colander. Return pasta to the pot and pour in bechamel sauce. Using a wooden spoon, mix well until all the pasta is coated with the sauce.
Into a greased 13 by 9-inch baking dish, pour the pasta with cream sauce. Smooth out top and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup fontina. Dot the top with diced butter and bake in oven for 25 minutes or until bubbling and the top is golden brown.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...pe2/index.html

syilla
08-28-2009, 05:00 AM
Jazakallah khayr... :D

i don't really know what is these.... guess i've to google. :D
fontina
prosciutto, julienned
rigatoni

جوري
08-28-2009, 05:02 AM
Jazakallah khayr... :D

i don't really know what is these.... guess i've to google. :D
fontina
prosciutto, julienned
rigatoni
DON'T use prosciutto.. try ground meat instead prosciutto comes from pigges :raging::raging::raging::raging:

syilla
08-28-2009, 05:06 AM
^^^ lol yeah... just saw it. and i just realise that fontina is just type of cheese...

InshaAllah all the ingredients are available in the supermarket...but not my home hehe

it looks the same as carbonara sauce... but carbonara use yolk and no cheese i think...hehehe

جوري
08-28-2009, 05:09 AM
you can substitute alot of the ingredients except for the rigatoni it just has the right consistency to withstand the sauces and the meat, any bigger or any smaller just won't cut it..it is very hearty very satisfying meal..

enjoy insha'Allah and let me know how it turns out..
I certainly think Malaysian food has alot more character .. I'd be interested to know what you think of this.. :D

syilla
08-28-2009, 05:18 AM
salams...

Have you ever tried karipap? :D

i'm very bad with making puffs so i usually buy the frozen ones.

It looks like these

These are another type that uses lots planta/butter

جوري
08-28-2009, 05:25 AM
They look yummy what are they stuffed with?

syilla
08-28-2009, 05:34 AM
^^^ usually made from minced meet and potatoes with curry ( hence the name of karipap which is for curry puff)

but there are lot kinds of fillings... like sardines, chicken, mutton or just potatoes...but it must have spices of curry or anything like it for example 'kurma'. sometimes made from sweet potatoes...yummy :)

alcurad
08-28-2009, 07:10 AM
this thread is so colorful and nyum, to show my appreciation, I'll post my own-dream- Iftaar, not that 'm going to eat all of it ~_^:

start with

mushroom soup and

not sure what's it called, or if you don't like eating too much at once lol

grilled cheese sandwich, then go with

some Wagyu steak, and of course

and maybe just a bit of

cheese Burek

duck breast with olives-:statisfie-

2887263011 6ccf52bbeb 1?v0 -

some Moroccan dish
and finish with

crepes cake, enjoy :happy:

no drinks of course, just water :p

Ramadhan
08-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Alcurad, you are torturing me with all those pictures! lol

glo
08-28-2009, 10:10 AM
^
I agree.
People posting pictures of delicious food during the time of fasting should be banned! :D

But then, there is always somebody somewhere on the planet breaking their fast.

I wonder where in the world people may be breaking their fast as I type this (at 11.10 am British Summer Time).
I am sure there is somebody clever enough to work it out for me.
In fact, why not have a thread where people post where they live and when they are sitting down for their iftar meal?

Muhaba
08-28-2009, 12:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer Skye

Oh my God how true is that.. I always stop myself from doing that, then I ended up buying groceries from Amazon.com if you can believe that.. which is nuts mmmm nuts .. then since I couldn't wait for the crunchy munchy to get here I went to the super and purchased alot of regret for I have gained two of the three pounds I'd lost since the start of Ramadan yesterday alone.. (not to mention they weren't great tasting) bah
I stopped eating all sweets, a pretty difficult feat since i'm addicted to junk food, esp chocolate.

The first few days of Ramadan I ate more, but the last few days I was back on track, eating less for suhoor & even skipping the post-taraweeh meal once in a while.

Yesterday I had a friend coming over for iftar & later my brother so I cooked lots of stuff including Biryani. By iftar time, i'd lost my apetite completely & ate only a bit of biryani, a banana & salad. I was happy but when I went to the masjid I could barely stand in taraweeh. & now I've come down with a fever. *sad*

I've lost another 1/2 kg but I'm not focusing on the weight loss so much as trying not to overeat, since in Ramadan, it's easy to overeat.

format_quote Originally Posted by glo
People posting pictures of delicious food during the time of fasting should be banned!
It's better to post them now than after ramadan. Looking at food pics normally makes me hungry but not in ramadan!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Sis Gossamer, I gotta say....all your foods look good :phew I bet they taste even better :D

IbnAbdulHakim
08-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Looks nicee. What's that squigly thing at the top? Is it jelly or "ghaas"?
wateva it is compleeeeetely ruins it for me

i cant handle squiggly stuff on my food :uuh:

جوري
08-28-2009, 05:43 PM
lol what is that br. ZAK shared with us? He had a pink squid drink?

closerthantheveins
08-28-2009, 05:45 PM
me neither i get totally put off

ژاله
08-28-2009, 05:53 PM
well thats like noodles u know in some sense, not ghaas definitely. and the seeds on top are called tukhm malanga or balanga or something, i dont know exactly...hehe

ژاله
08-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Hmm, it might be some kind of vermicelli?
yup, maybe rice or cellophane vermicelli.

IbnAbdulHakim
08-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Lol.. what about spaghetti? It's all squiggly. :D

:skeleton:
touche bro

tou

che

:shade:

جوري
08-28-2009, 06:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zÂk
Yea, that's balanga :ermm: And the ghaas like stuff is called "holay" :hmm:
I didn't make that post <_<
:haha: it had your name in there even if you didn't make it, you are guilty by proxy.. .:shade:

IbnAbdulHakim
08-28-2009, 06:56 PM
i just showed my sis about 20 pics from this thread

and each time she said "we make really nice food like this too, why dont you show them what we make"

;D

جوري
08-28-2009, 07:00 PM

and each time she said "we make really nice food like this too, why dont you show them what we make"

;D

yes quit holding out & show us...:shade:

Sister_Zee
08-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Salaam,

format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer Skye
Oh my God how true is that.. I always stop myself from doing that, then I ended up buying groceries from Amazon.com if you can believe that.. which is nuts mmmm nuts .. then since I couldn't wait for the crunchy munchy to get here I went to the super and purchased alot of regret for I have gained two of the three pounds I'd lost since the start of Ramadan yesterday alone.. (not to mention they weren't great tasting) bah
Lol! Learned you lesson now, no? :p

Just kidding :D yes I'm dreading going to the supermarket tomorrow :hmm:

We had Fateh (couldn't find a picture, it is fried bread with chickpeas, yogurt and fried pine nuts with other seasonings) and sausages today.

Ansariyah
08-28-2009, 09:25 PM

;D
lol thats what my sis said too...
''did u show em wat we make''?

Ansariyah
08-28-2009, 09:41 PM
my iftar..only ate like bits of it

my desert..*messy*

I love honey mangos too...didnt take pics of that tho.

جوري
08-28-2009, 09:59 PM
that looks professional and positively scrumptious.. 1:39 mins to Maghrib :D
but we are having leftovers.. nothing as exciting as all that..
I am kinda grouchy today too.. I am working on a baked potato though.. last minute decision I am not big on leftovers..

hopefully when done will look like this:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Balanga? I thought it was malanga. Mmm i could go for some falooda right now.

IslamicRevival
08-28-2009, 10:34 PM
The Sisters seem to have taken over this thread :)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-28-2009, 11:24 PM
That black seed stuff is tukh malanga.

The Sisters seem to have taken over this thread :)
So...what will you do? Try and take it over with the bros :D

Ummu Sufyaan
08-29-2009, 03:14 AM
@zak, akhee whats the recipe for that Pokara...looks good :statisfie

ok here what we had 3 nights back:
Mansaff....you serve that with nice and put the nuts on top (they are usually separate and not mixed with the meat and yogurt)

last night
im not exactly sure what this is, we just made it up i think...you put prawns/seafood on the top, but...:hmm:

this is what it's meant to like:

north_malaysian
08-29-2009, 03:42 AM
My Iftaar last night:

BUBUR LAMBUK
Rice Porridge with coconut milk, shrimps, minced beef, black pepper, fried shallots, corriander leaves and spring onions. It's the official meal for Ramadan in Malaysia.

KARIPAP
A deep fried pastry with potatoes and minced beef inside.

BENGKANG
A cake-like dessert with pandan leave-flavoured...

alcurad
08-29-2009, 04:10 AM
you eat very little mashallah O_O, haha, I should take a leaf from your book I think, it's uually iftaar+suhoor at once for me as I don't like to eat at different times these days..

but that thing looks delicious, especially rice porridge, nyum.

north_malaysian
08-29-2009, 04:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
you eat very little mashallah
LOL... nah! I ate several pieces of Karipaps and Bengkangs!!!

but that thing looks delicious, especially rice porridge, nyum.
my mum cooked the porridge:statisfie

alcurad
08-29-2009, 04:39 AM
^but I only saw one of each? :P

a really colorful dish, I never thought of putting anything with rice porridge, except maybe more sugar >_>

north_malaysian
08-29-2009, 09:57 AM
^but I only saw one of each? :P

a really colorful dish, I never thought of putting anything with rice porridge, except maybe more sugar >_>
sugar? LOL... i dont think our porridge has sugar at all... but some people put curry powder in it...

ژاله
08-29-2009, 02:40 PM
That black seed stuff is tukh malanga.
nope its tukhm balanga. :Dwe can fight over its being malanga or balanga, but tukhm is for sure.it means seed in persian.
sis umm shaheed pakora recipe is simple.
make a thick paste of batter,put in it potatoes(chopped),salt,pepper, green pepper, spices, you can add some chopped brinjal too, coriander,a bit of chopped tomatoes if you like. then mix all the stuff, take a spoonful of it and put it in a frying pan with boiling oil, fry it till it turns golden brown, the colour in the picture and then eat. its tasty.:D

S_87
08-29-2009, 04:44 PM
mm today is some kinda chicken pie, roast potatoes, tandoori chicken and for dessert i just did some tiramisu and an oreo cheesecake

IbnAbdulHakim
08-29-2009, 06:55 PM
chicken WRAP
potatoe WEDGES
CHIPS
RICE PUDDING
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and lots of seconds

for iftar

today

:D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-29-2009, 06:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaak
nope its tukhm balanga. :Dwe can fight over its being malanga or balanga, but tukhm is for sure.it means seed in persian.
I forgot to say "in Punjabi." I don't know who's fighting but I definitely wasn't.

It's called by both names. I think Punjabis call it Tukh malanga. Thats prolly why I never heard of "balanga." Mostly Punjabi speakers in my family.

I know what it means, but thnx.

Bub
08-29-2009, 08:11 PM
chicken, lamb and some dessert :-) so delicious!!!

جوري
08-30-2009, 01:50 AM
Had good old fava beans Egyptian style using this very flavorful oil

also had one hard boiled egg

and salad

and a few gold fishes

anyhow I am curious about miso soup.. never had it.. can someone here tell me about it?

Ramadhan
08-30-2009, 04:16 AM
oh, miso soup.
It must be consumed when it is still steaming hot, and served before appetizers/main course. The taste is very refreshing, it's a little bit on the sour side. I personally really like it. It's quite hard to describe the taste actually, as I can't think of anything else that compares to its taste, and I've consumed great great types of food/drink.
It's a standard fare of any japanese restaurant, and here in Jakarta there are so many of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miso_soup

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-miso-soup

جوري
08-30-2009, 04:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
oh, miso soup.
It must be consumed when it is still steaming hot, and served before appetizers/main course. The taste is very refreshing, it's a little bit on the sour side. I personally really like it. It's quite hard to describe the taste actually, as I can't think of anything else that compares to its taste, and I've consumed great great types of food/drink.
It's a standard fare of any japanese restaurant, and here in Jakarta there are so many of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miso_soup

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-miso-soup

I just bought me a five variety pack from amazon.. they don't use alcohol in these do they? I am really looking forward to it.. I usually like soups with more soup and less filling..
I was reading about how healthy the wakame is but at the same time the worst invasive species (lol)

alcurad
08-30-2009, 04:43 AM
from when I last had it, miso soup is quit watery, and can range from not-bad to great tasting, depends on what goes in.

جوري
08-30-2009, 04:48 AM
i like warm watery soups.. sometimes when I make a cup o noodles, I throw the noodles out just to drink the processed high sodium water left behind..

I need salty things, but I don't like contradictory flavors.. in other words I don't like things that are both sweet and salty at the same time.. I don't like dinner type food that are sweet in general.. only desert should be sweet.. does that make sense?

Cabdullahi
08-30-2009, 04:57 AM
i had abit of food yesterday wasnt exotic as some of the dishes posted but alhamdulilah

جوري
08-30-2009, 05:00 AM
you find fava beans be zayt 7ar exotic? :haha:

I must admit though, Malaysian food isn't anything my mind can conceive!

Cabdullahi
08-30-2009, 05:04 AM
is fava beans ......foul mdamas? that with jubn and 5ubz is very tasty

جوري
08-30-2009, 05:07 AM
is fava beans ......foul mdamas? that with jubn and 5ubz is very tasty
it is actually one of my favorite meals.. and I can live on it if used with the suggested oil.. I also had it with jubn (sharp cheddar)

it is halal and kosher (produce of Vermont) plus a hard boiled egg.. I think beans are very satisfying and tasty.. a blessing.. al7mdllillah..

alcurad
08-30-2009, 05:14 AM
^I prefer white cheese and lots and lots of lives ¬_¬

how does the cheddar go with it though?

Cabdullahi
08-30-2009, 05:17 AM
the cheese i have with it is feta cheese its greek but consumed alot in the arab world......,the best foul is the egypto sudanese fresh foul beans soaked overnight not the tin can hype

also syrup and cheese fata'ir is nice

جوري
08-30-2009, 05:19 AM
^I prefer white cheese and lots and lots of lives ¬_¬

how does the cheddar go with it though?

It doesn't go with it.. it was laying in the back of the fridge since July 17th. I know I had requested Sharp cheddar from my sis.. and it was rediscovered today lol..

I love cheese, can't say that the one above is my favorite .. I like that old cheese that doesn't melt it is hard cheese with large unground pepper in it.. I also like the white salty aged cheese the most.. but in general it is hard for me to come across a cheese I didn't like.. it is just gradation of love..

not all cheese is created equal :D

جوري
08-30-2009, 05:22 AM
yeah we never buy canned beans.. my mom puts it in that slow cooker over night as all beans go.. I don't think beans belong in a can..

Ummu Sufyaan
08-30-2009, 07:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaak
sis umm shaheed pakora recipe is simple.
make a thick paste of batter,put in it potatoes(chopped),salt,pepper, green pepper, spices, you can add some chopped brinjal too, coriander,a bit of chopped tomatoes if you like. then mix all the stuff, take a spoonful of it and put it in a frying pan with boiling oil, fry it till it turns golden brown, the colour in the picture and then eat. its tasty.:D
barakallahu feeki...cant wait to annoy my sis to make it :p (:D)

alcurad
08-30-2009, 08:16 AM
;)..........

Ummu Sufyaan
08-30-2009, 12:59 PM
I dont know what exactly this thing is called, but basically its burghal with chicken with a little bit of the broth that the chicken is cooked in poured on the top...excuse the really bad photography.

the burghal (still in the saucepan :-[)

the chicken broth (still in the saucepan as well)

served (my bad photography makes it look very unappetizing (which is way the pics are small)

dessert: choc cake with custard and fruit to top it off...

Muhaba
08-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Sister Umm ul Shaheed, for pikora, you need gram flour, known as baisun in urdu. It's a powder made of a type of chick peas. It's available in most pakistani/indian stores. I don't think wheat flour will work.

An alternative is falafel, made of ground chickpeas, a favorite in Syria.

ژاله
08-30-2009, 03:08 PM
^i meant gram flour by batter. i though it was so...right or wrong?

Muhaba
08-30-2009, 05:39 PM
no sis batter is flour + eggs + milk, well that's what my dictionary says!

جوري
08-31-2009, 11:21 PM

we are having this in 10 mins insha'Allah

this is what it looks like before cooking and meat stuffing

I got two hrs of sleep last night, I can barely keep my eyes open for maghrib.. sob7an Allah..

Najm
08-31-2009, 11:26 PM

Looks yummy, inshaAllah, but isnt it middle of the night?

FiAmaaniAllah

جوري
09-01-2009, 12:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm

Looks yummy, inshaAllah, but isnt it middle of the night?

FiAmaaniAllah

wa3lykoum aslaam wr wb respected brother..
It is only 8:06.. broke my fast a half an hr. ago.. can't wait to Isha'a insha'Allah I can't keep my eyes open .. I put the tea kettle on for a possible caffeinated drink but left it, I am in no mood for tea or coffee :hmm:

Najm
09-01-2009, 12:16 AM
wa3lykoum aslaam wr wb respected brother..
It is only 8:06.. broke my fast a half an hr. ago.. can't wait to Isha'a insha'Allah I can't keep my eyes open .. I put the tea kettle on for a possible caffeinated drink but left it, I am in no mood for tea or coffee :hmm:

Oh its 01:14 here. I cant sleep :( Uhkti dont drink tea/coffee!!! Its not good! have water. InshaAllah try to sleep early or take a power nap.

P.s lots lovely of food, i wish i could make it myself

FiAmaaniAllah

جوري
09-01-2009, 06:05 AM

Oh its 01:14 here. I cant sleep :( Uhkti dont drink tea/coffee!!! Its not good! have water. InshaAllah try to sleep early or take a power nap.

P.s lots lovely of food, i wish i could make it myself

FiAmaaniAllah

I snoozed right after Isha'a , I woke up a little while ago.. I feel really strange... I have all this momentum but I feel like I am on my last wire.. I am having such an off day, I hope I can recover by tomorrow insha'Allah or later today? as it is 2:04 am.. I am going to have sihoor now and try to wake up for fajr.. I need a caffeinated drink else I'll end up with a massive headache tomorrow...

is anyone else having a day as strange as mine? sob7an Allah...:hmm:

Tony
09-01-2009, 06:34 AM

I snoozed right after Isha'a , I woke up a little while ago.. I feel really strange... I have all this momentum but I feel like I am on my last wire.. I am having such an off day, I hope I can recover by tomorrow insha'Allah or later today? as it is 2:04 am.. I am going to have sihoor now and try to wake up for fajr.. I need a caffeinated drink else I'll end up with a massive headache tomorrow...

Mine was the 30th august, horrible day, ended with a cracking headache, slept 1 and half hours then woke as if I had slept for 10 and couldnt sleep again all night. The next day was fantastic in comparison though if its any consolation:D

جوري
09-01-2009, 06:40 AM
Mine was the 30th august, horrible day, ended with a cracking headache, slept 1 and half hours then woke as if I had slept for 10 and couldnt sleep again all night. The next day was fantastic in comparison though if its any consolation:D
it actually is, Jazaka Allah khyran, I really appreciate you sharing this.. I keep thinking of how I can make the rest of this work and none of the options sound appealing

1- I either sleep now though I have awakened just a couple of hrs ago (I feel lethargic and not in the mood to have sihoor) and then wake up a 45 mins before fajr.
2- I have sihoor now and wake up at fajr which will probably make my nerves more zapped because of the on/off interruptions to my sleep cycle
3- I stay away until morning and have coffee now to get rid of headache which in and of itself will make me awake (but jittery)
4- I stay awake until fajr take a sleeping pill plus pain med (at sihoor) and take tomorrow off...

I can't make a decision and the more I wait the further we go into the wee hours.. :hmm:

but I appreciate your experience.. I am going to deliberate for the next ten mins see what is my best option..

Tony
09-01-2009, 06:55 AM
Drink a bucket of water and get as much sleep as you can, hunger is easier to deal with without the tired headache, and if coffee makes you jittery, ban it. May Allah guide through your day and make the experience beneficial to your imaan, Ameen. Dont worry sister, being alive and living life for Allah alone is all that matters, if you tired at work I am sure Allah will help you in some way. Take the option that offers the most sleep. Peace

syilla
09-01-2009, 06:59 AM
:salamext:

it seems the more we think...the more we get hungry :D

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...kes-you-hungry

http://media.www.mcgilltribune.com/m...-3680458.shtml

جوري
09-01-2009, 11:11 PM
^^^ very interesting :lol:

I got gyros for my sis today.. they looked scrumptious

but we are sticking with fava beans insha'Allah.. I think beans are excellent to give an instant feeling of satiation...

Najm
09-01-2009, 11:33 PM

SubhaanAllah, give up the caffeinated drinks!!

Also, i tend to sleep straight after Isha, and wake up for sehri as close as possible to Fajr. I suggest you try it, its a matter of making it a habit!! DONT STAY A AWAKE unless your doing qiyaam. Your body has a right over you!

May Allah reward you through your struggle.Ameen!

FiAmaaniAllah

aadil77
09-01-2009, 11:38 PM
^gyros? sounds like something you'd find on a bike,
thats what you call a donner kebab in the real world

americans and their weird names for everything:hiding:

Salahudeen
09-01-2009, 11:43 PM
maybe they mean " GYRO NA HALWVA" lol

جوري
09-02-2009, 12:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
^gyros? sounds like something you'd find on a bike,
thats what you call a donner kebab in the real world

americans and their weird names for everything:hiding:
please.. you think gyros are weird? I needed a dictionary to decipher the weirdness of brits.. just the mere fact that you need a TV license I think tops anything we come up with.. what is that all about? how about a license to have children too? ;D;D and don't get me started on the bizarre ingredients and names of things in the super market...:hiding:

format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
maybe they mean " GYRO NA HALWVA" lol
what does that mean? :phew

SubhaanAllah, give up the caffeinated drinks!!

Also, i tend to sleep straight after Isha, and wake up for sehri as close as possible to Fajr. I suggest you try it, its a matter of making it a habit!! DONT STAY A AWAKE unless your doing qiyaam. Your body has a right over you!

May Allah reward you through your struggle.Ameen!

FiAmaaniAllah
Jazaka Allah khyran.. it is so sweet you are concerned.. al7mdlilliah I feel so much better today, just that I hadn't slept for a couple of days and was confused.. and I really wasn't sure what I should do to get back into the groove of things.. I stayed up until fajr but had taken both sleeping pills and coffee for sihoor, to get rid of headache and help me sleep.. I slept well.. al7mdlilliah .. everyone has their off days :D

جوري
09-02-2009, 12:20 AM
wow.. so impressed that the 'multi-quote' system finally worked.. albeit it quoting backwards.. it is no matter beats doing it manually :D

aadil77
09-02-2009, 09:56 AM
^ lol the tv license is just a tax to pay for the huge BBC, its because they offer some decent programming and news with no adverts, by paying it makes sure you're not watching it for free

but yeh it is hilarious how they come and check if you have a tv with no license, these are some of the excuses they face, off their website:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/excuses.jsp

Sister_Zee
09-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Salaam,

We had light food today, sandwich club (variety of chicken, eggs, and turkey), and thyme salad (basically thyme, spring onions, and lettuce)

Najm
09-02-2009, 10:54 PM

SubhaanAllah amazing pictures on this thread. Today there was sooo much food on the table and its just amazing to see so much variety. Yet i chose to eat very less today, less than my usual 1/3. I didnt want to break my fast to fill my greedy belly. I wanted to break it to gain my reward, inshaAllah!:statisfie

FiAmaaniAllah

جوري
09-03-2009, 05:56 AM
have you guys stopped eating now that we're headed for mid Ramadan? :hmm:

lol..

this is what we had today wal7mdllilah

coupled with rice.. a perfect marriage

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!