/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The reward of reading quran translation

tresbien
08-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, thank you very much for raising this question, which reflects a truthful desire to have a clearer view of the teachings of Islam. May Allah crown this truthful desire with His satisfaction and reward.

First of all, we’d like to state that you are to be commended for your keen desire to read and understand Allah’s Word. You should know that there is no nobler endeavor than that. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Those who attempt to read it with difficulty (because of their lack of familiarity with the language) will merit double rewards.” (Reported by at-Tirmidhi and Abu Dawud; also Bukhari and Muslim in their own words)

Also, we advise you, dear brother, to try to read the Qur’an in Arabic to gain the great benefit and reward of Allah for reading His Book, and read the translation of the Qur’an to grasp its meaning.

As the Qur’an is revealed in Arabic, reading it in its original language entails great merits. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Whoever reads one letter of the Book of Allah, will have one hasanah (reward) for doing so, and every hasanah will be multiplied by 10. I do not say that Alif, Lam, Mim is one letter, but Alif is a letter, Lam is a letter and Mim is a letter.”

Commenting on the above Hadith, Sheikh M. S. Al-Munajjid, a prominent Saudi Muslim lecturer and author, states:

“The reward mentioned in this Hadith is only for the one who reads the Qur’an as it is in Arabic, not for the one who reads the translation of the meanings in any other language. However, if a person reads a translation of the meanings in order to understand the meaning and benefit from what the Qur’anic verses are saying, then he will be rewarded for doing this, because the Muslim will be rewarded for reading tafsir (explanation and commentary of the Qur’an), and a translation is tafsir. But there is no indication that the person who reads a translation will earn the reward mentioned in the Hadith. The bounty of Allah is immense.”

Responding to the question in point, Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, former President of the Islamic Society of North America, states:

“I am pleased to know that you would very much like to read the Qur'an. May Allah bless you and help you to read it regularly. The Qur'an is the word of Allah. It came to Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) through the Angel Jibril in the Arabic tongue. It is very important that a Muslim read the Qur'an in its original authentic language. There is a great blessing in reading the Qur'an in Arabic.

The translations of the Qur'an are not called the Qur'an. They are only the translations of the meaning of the Qur'an. The translations are not the words of Allah, they are the words of human beings who explain the words of Allah in their own language according to their own understanding and ability to translate.

You should try to learn the reading of the Qur'an in Arabic. It is not very difficult. With some efforts you can learn it in a short of period of time. However, after reading the text in Arabic, you should also read the meaning through translations. Without understanding, one cannot get the benefit of the guidance of the Book of Allah.

We must read the Qur'an in Arabic. We must try to understand the Qur'an either by learning the Arabic language or by reading its meaning through some good translations and commentaries. Then we must do our best to follow the guidance that we receive from the Qur'an. These are the three basic duties that we owe to the Book of Allah

listen to quran and read translation at the same time .It is a good suggestion and a rewarding inchallah.
http://tvislamic.com/tv/alfasy_quran.htm
http://www.tvquran.com/en/
taking from islamonline.net

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IAmZamzam
08-25-2009, 10:40 PM
I have always thought that to read the Koran in its original Arabic is preferable and a very good idea but not absolutely essential. As with any other writing in another language one can ascertain enough of the meaning to get by simply through comparing respected translations, learning about those translations, consulting people who do know the Arabic when one feels it necessary, and simply using common sense. I myself plan to start learning Arabic within the next year or two, God willing, but that is my own choice, and I don't like the way so many of our brothers and sisters demand it. That is both wrong and counter-inducive to dawah, since it turns people off to the religion.

Hassan C
08-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Reading Qur'an in Arabic is great and then reading it in English to understand the meaning (if you don't know Arabic). That suits me :)

Humbler_359
08-30-2009, 05:23 PM
:sl:,

It is great to know that I have been reading Qur'an (Abdullah Yusuf Ali) side by side with Arabic and English translations at night daily, it is required to be patient and read each verses through all chapters in order to complete the meaning of Qur'an..........

Not only meaning of Qur'an, it also describe deeply applied to our life and this world.....

Last year, I was very joyful for completing whole Qur'an myself, currently, I am still reading more again.......

Overall, it is not hard to understand and it is not hard to read Qur'an. Depend on how much you understand and your motivation........

Your knowledge will increase double everyday, Insha'Allah if you desire to read Qur'an or books etc.... :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.