/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How Many Wives Prophet Muhammad Had

Muhseen
08-27-2009, 11:29 AM
:sl:

I am just curious after been asked by a non-Muslim freind about how many wives our noble prophet Muhammad, may Allah exalt his mention, ever had. I mean all those he ever married; died while living in his house; or he divorced.

May Allah reward you amply for responding with authentic reports.

Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
08-27-2009, 07:55 PM
:salamext:

Allah's Messenger had 13 wives i think, and he never divorced any.

Here's good links;

http://www.islamonline.net/english/i...es/index.shtml
http://www.islamicboard.com/companions-prophet/

czgibson
08-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
Allah's Messenger had 13 wives i think, and he never divorced any.
Since Muslims try to follow the way of the Prophet (pbuh), why is it not more common to find Muslim men with thirteen wives?

Peace

GreyKode
08-27-2009, 08:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Since Muslims try to follow the way of the Prophet (pbuh), why is it not more common to find Muslim men with thirteen wives?

Peace
This is one of sunan of the prophet(pbuh) that we are forbidden to follow him in it, we believe this is something ALLAH(swt) has given him alone the privilege of doing, i.e. marrying more than four.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aamirsaab
08-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Greetings,

Peace
There's a difference in doing what the Prophet did and what he told us to do. There were certain commands from Allah that only he had to do.

P.s; The book I have on this subject matter only mentions 11 wives (by name).

aamirsaab
08-27-2009, 08:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
I believe he was at most married to 9 at one time. :><:
I think it was 9 at one time, but total (throughout his life) was 11:

Khadija, Aisha, Sawdah, Umm Habeebah, Umm Salamah, Juwairiyah bint Al-Harith, Hafsa, Zainab bint Khuzaimah, safiyyah bint huyay, Zainab bint Jash and Mainoonah Bint Al-Harith (peace and blessings be upon all of them).

Well, that's according to the book I have.

Edit: I checked online and it says 13 wives...looks like I gotta do some more reading!

_ALI_
08-28-2009, 06:57 AM
That is because the Quran says

004.003 Marry women of your choice, Two or three or four; but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one,
Al-Qur'an, 004.003 (An-Nisa [Women])
Text Copied from DivineIslam's Qur'an Viewer software v2.910
Muslims are not allowed to marry more than 4. And the condition of polygamy is that a person must be able to deal justly with his wives. So polygamy is neither encouraged nor prohibited (as long as the condition holds). Having more than one wife is not that common among Muslims. I have personally never met a Muslim who has more than one wife.

czgibson
08-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by GreyKode
This is one of sunan of the prophet(pbuh) that we are forbidden to follow him in it, we believe this is something ALLAH(swt) has given him alone the privilege of doing, i.e. marrying more than four.
What other parts of the Sunnah are Muslims forbidden from following?

Peace

Ali_008
08-28-2009, 10:16 AM
^^ One which I can think of now is Qiyaam Al-Layl (The Prayer during the 3rd half of the Night). Prophet Muhammad :saws: was obliged to offer it every night but for his Ummah it is not an obligation but a Sunnah. And we don't have to offer it every night.
:w:

ژاله
08-28-2009, 10:20 AM
what about Mariya Qibtiyya? do you also count her as the wife of the Prophet SAW?

Muhseen
08-28-2009, 11:54 AM

May Allah, the Exalted, bless you.

I am waiting for a conclusion.

Thanks once again

Rabi'ya
09-14-2009, 01:36 PM

i think this confirms it...

http://www.islamicboard.com/companio...ophet-s-w.html

Salahudeen
09-14-2009, 02:26 PM
khadija, ayesha, hafsa, umm selma, umm habibi, soda, sofia, zainab, zainab, maymouna, jawariya.

I remember being forced to memorise their names within a short period of time, we had to stand up and say their names infront of the whole group and there was like 35 people :o

I got to the 5th one then forgot the rest but quickly remembered them after incase Abu Usamah picked me to read them out again lol.

It's good to know the names of our mothers ;D

MSalman
09-14-2009, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya
:wa:
Ulama have said that according to the more correct opinion she was not his wife rather concubine and the Messenger of Allah (sal-allahu alayhi wa sallam) had 11 wives. and Allah knows best

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/47072
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/47572

Those who bring up this subject to attack Islam should know that it is a really silly question and completely irrelevant to the Message of Islam. Why does it matter whether he (sal-allahu alayhi wa sallam) had 1 wife or 100 wives? How is having more wives an evidence against the prophethood of Allah's Messenger (sal-allahu alayhi wa sallam)?

Shafee Ahmed Ko
09-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Assalamu Alaikum warahmathullahi wabarakathuhu,
What is the authentic information on four Madhahib. There are different opinions quoted for the same verse of the Holy Quran. Further it is stated that Ahadees were collected from different source only 250 years. Kindly clarify

Shafee Ahmed Ko
09-14-2009, 03:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shafee Ahmed Ko
Assalamu Alaikum warahmathullahi wabarakathuhu,
What is the authentic information on four Madhahib. There are different opinions quoted for the same verse of the Holy Quran. Further it is stated that Ahadees were collected from different source only 250 years. Kindly clarify
We are taught Mazhabs like Hanafee,Shafi'ee,Hanbali and Malikee. Kindly elaborate them.

Muslim Woman
09-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Salaam/Peace

..why is it not more common to find Muslim men with thirteen wives?
This was an exception for the Last Prophet (pbuh). His wives were considered as Mothers of the Believers . He was not allowed to divorce either of them or take anymore wife ( except right hand posses ) after the revealation of a verse that says so .

Surah Ahzab, Ch. 33, Verse 52, which says that… ‘O Prophet you cannot marry more women, neither can you exchange any other women for the present one, even if their beauty attracts you, except what your right hand possesses

Any ordinary Muslim can take maximum 4 wives with conditions.

revert2007
09-15-2009, 01:10 AM
some asked here why the muslims man cannot marry 13 wives as the prophet?
well Allah ahs allowed the muslim men to marry till 4 wives.
yet why do u think u can marry more wives?i am a sister and i personally think if every muslim man are like the proophet then i dont see any problem of muslim men marrying more than 1.but too bad...these days people alter the concept of marrying 4 wives and sorry to say there is no muslim man like the prophet these days.so just marry one and think how u can make ur wife happy.

revert2007
09-15-2009, 01:11 AM
some asked here why the muslims man cannot marry 13 wives as the prophet?
well Allah ahs allowed the muslim men to marry till 4 wives.
yet why do u think u can marry more wives?i am a sister and i personally think if every muslim man are like the proophet then i dont see any problem of muslim men marrying more than 1.but too bad...these days people alter the concept of marrying 4 wives and sorry to say there is no muslim man like the prophet these days.so just marry one and think how u can make ur wife happy.unless ur wife agrees to it and ur capable to do so and u can be fair and square,just proceed to it.

Rasema
09-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Greetings,

Peace
Well, ask that question yourself.

The Prophet,saws, had an exception.Firstly,don't think with your gutts but with your brain.

He married them to free them from slavery, is one reason.

He married them for Islam. If he marries a particular women from a particular tribe then the tribes get along and don't attack eachother etc...

He marries some that were young so he raises them to be the way a Muslim woman should be

AND I CAN GO FOR EVER.....

czgibson
09-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Rasema
Well, ask that question yourself.
I already have. :)

The Prophet,saws, had an exception.Firstly,don't think with your gutts but with your brain.
How rude. I'm asking a perfectly straightforward question - there's no need to insult me.

Peace

جوري
09-18-2009, 09:29 AM
He wasn't married to all 13 at once.
How many husbands did Elizabeth taylor go through? or Clint Eastwood, regardless of reason of staying with or leaving behind.

Argamemnon
09-19-2009, 04:43 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by _ALI_
Muslims are not allowed to marry more than 4. And the condition of polygamy is that a person must be able to deal justly with his wives. So polygamy is neither encouraged nor prohibited (as long as the condition holds). Having more than one wife is not that common among Muslims. I have personally never met a Muslim who has more than one wife.
We are not supposed to marry more than one woman for no reason. The only condition for polygamy is for the sake of orphans.

4:3

"If you deem it best for the orphans, you may marry their mothers - you may marry two, three, or four. If you fear lest you become unfair, then you shall be content with only one, or with what you already have. Additionally, you are thus more likely to avoid financial hardship."

Moreover, verse 4:129 discourages polygamy even for that one exception.

4:129

"You can never be equitable in dealing with more than one wife, no matter how hard you try. Therefore, do not be so biased as to leave one of them hanging (neither enjoying marriage, nor left to marry someone else). If you correct this situation and maintain righteousness, GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful."

- Qatada -
09-19-2009, 05:10 PM
asalam alykum

Bro Argamenmom, please read the tafsir of them verses. Http://tafsir.com

You cannot deal with them justly in regards to equality in love, but u have to deal with them justly in worldly matters like time spent, wealth shared etc.

What Prophet Muhammad did is correct, and thats why we affirm him as Allahs Messenger.

Why are we trying to please a way of life who think theres nothing wrong with adultery and cheating?

Atleast when polygamy takes place, women without husbands can have someone who marries them to love them, care for them and provide for them.

Bub
09-19-2009, 05:23 PM
I have a beautiful identity book of Prophet Muhammed p.b.u.h, 12 wives actually, the wives are Khadija Bint Khuwaylid, Sawda Bint Zam'a, Aisha Bint Abu Baker Al-Siddiq, Hafsa Bint Omar Bin Al-Khattab, Zainab Bint Khuzaima, Hind Bint Hudhaifa, Zainab Bint Al Harith, Juwayryya Bint Al Harith, Safiya Bint Huyay, Ramlah Bint Abu Suifyan, Maymoona Bint Al Harith and Maria Bint Shemon, Might Allah be pleased with them all!

Argamemnon
09-19-2009, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
asalam alykum

Bro Argamenmom, please read the tafsir of them verses. Http://tafsir.com

You cannot deal with them justly in regards to equality in love, but u have to deal with them justly in worldly matters like time spent, wealth shared etc.

What Prophet Muhammad did is correct, and thats why we affirm him as Allahs Messenger.

Why are we trying to please a way of life who think theres nothing wrong with adultery and cheating?

Atleast when polygamy takes place, women without husbands can have someone who marries them to love them, care for them and provide for them.
wa alaikum assalam,

so you don't agree with me? unfortunately, traditional scholars are wrong on so many occasions...

Zone Maker
09-19-2009, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon

We are not supposed to marry more than one woman for no reason. The only condition for polygamy is for the sake of orphans.

4:3

"If you deem it best for the orphans, you may marry their mothers - you may marry two, three, or four. If you fear lest you become unfair, then you shall be content with only one, or with what you already have. Additionally, you are thus more likely to avoid financial hardship."

Moreover, verse 4:129 discourages polygamy even for that one exception.

4:129

"You can never be equitable in dealing with more than one wife, no matter how hard you try. Therefore, do not be so biased as to leave one of them hanging (neither enjoying marriage, nor left to marry someone else). If you correct this situation and maintain righteousness, GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful."
Aslam 3likm

I am not sure which translation this is but, it is obviously wrong (that is because Arabic is my first language). In the first verse if you read the Arabic Quran there is no mention of mothers of orphans.

http://quran.al-islam.com/Tafseer/Di...EER&tashkeel=1

And you cut the last part of the second verse which gave a different meaning.

Can a brother/sister please translate the sites I gave so that Muslims don't fall into ignorance. I was able to discover these since Arabic is my first language and it is unfortunate that many non-Arabic speaking Muslims fall for these mistranslations.

MSalman
09-22-2009, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
unfortunately, traditional scholars are wrong on so many occasions...
and you suddenly came to correct them?

cat eyes
09-23-2009, 12:17 AM
what dose it matter how many wives the prophet pbuh had?. nobody is like the prophet pbuh thats it!! and i don't know why people are even answering this when theres no need and its causing unnecessary arguments its making quite furious to even question it

Afg
09-26-2009, 04:27 AM
:sl: Can someone clear this for me? The prophet (pbuh) married Rihanna because she lost her family in a war? What war was this and was it with the Muslims? And was she married right after that and did she become a Muslim?

Afg
09-26-2009, 07:36 AM
Are all the wives going to heaven?

Muhseen
09-26-2009, 11:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Afg
Are all the wives going to heaven?
Yeah, of course.

Sorry; I can't back-up my assertion.

Afg
09-26-2009, 11:22 AM
^Jazak Allahu khayr.

Afg
09-26-2009, 11:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Afg
:sl: Can someone clear this for me? The prophet (pbuh) married Rihanna because she lost her family in a war? What war was this and was it with the Muslims? And was she married right after that and did she become a Muslim?
How about this? Anyone know?

Ramadhan
09-26-2009, 01:46 PM
It was said that Rayhaanah bint ‘Amr al-Nadariyyah (or al-Quraziyyah) was also one of his wives. She was taken prisoner during the battle of Bani Qurayzah, and the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) chose her for himself and married her, then he divorced her then took her back. Tabaqaat Ibn Sa’d , narrating from al-Waaqidi, 8/130

ieshia
09-26-2009, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zone Maker
Aslam 3likm

I am not sure which translation this is but, it is obviously wrong (that is because Arabic is my first language). In the first verse if you read the Arabic Quran there is no mention of mothers of orphans.

And you cut the last part of the second verse which gave a different meaning.

Can a brother/sister please translate the sites I gave so that Muslims don't fall into ignorance. I was able to discover these since Arabic is my first language and it is unfortunate that many non-Arabic speaking Muslims fall for these mistranslations.
The arabic quran was written in is not the same arabic that is spoken today. Also quran was written in more of a poetic way, it can't be understood by just anyone who speaks arabic as a first language. Just like Queen Elizabeth English from Shakespeare days.

Zone Maker
09-27-2009, 10:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ieshia
The arabic quran was written in is not the same arabic that is spoken today. Also quran was written in more of a poetic way, it can't be understood by just anyone who speaks arabic as a first language. Just like Queen Elizabeth English from Shakespeare days.
Aslam 3likm

I am not talking about interpretation. I am saying something obvious the word "mother" which he mentioned in the first verse doesn't exist I don't need a degree to discover that. The word mother is a word and it is not hidden interpretation. In the second verse he didn't mention the full verse making it out of context. Why is the verse not fully mentioned I don't know but again this doesn't need interpretation. Discovering a verse that it is not complete (is not an interpretation) otherwise we have to agree with non-Muslims when they say that Quran teaches us to kill them all while in fact they just took the verse out of context. It is true that Arabic in the Quran different than what I speak in my daily life but it is not that different making the word "mother" invisible in Arabic or finding a verse that is not complete. And if you don't believe me then go to the site that I provided it is very detailed with evidence from the "the prophet's companions" themselves. Forgive me if I sounded harsh.

ieshia
09-28-2009, 02:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zone Maker
Aslam 3likm

I am not talking about interpretation. I am saying something obvious the word "mother" which he mentioned in the first verse doesn't exist I don't need a degree to discover that. The word mother is a word and it is not hidden interpretation. In the second verse he didn't mention the full verse making it out of context. Why is the verse not fully mentioned I don't know but again this doesn't need interpretation. Discovering a verse that it is not complete (is not an interpretation) otherwise we have to agree with non-Muslims when they say that Quran teaches us to kill them all while in fact they just took the verse out of context. It is true that Arabic in the Quran different than what I speak in my daily life but it is not that different making the word "mother" invisible in Arabic or finding a verse that is not complete. And if you don't believe me then go to the site that I provided it is very detailed with evidence from the "the prophet's companions" themselves. Forgive me if I sounded harsh.
No you don't sound harsh at all. Also i don't know Arabic at all and really exactly how much different it is so i can't argue with you on that, and obviously since you do know a certain type of Arabic, i will take your word for it and agree with you.
I just don't like it when today's Arabic speakers argue, about them some how understanding the Quran better than anyone else. The quran is translated to today's arabic just like it is with urdu, spanish, english etc. so obviously the traditional arabic the Quran was written in is not the same as today. Arabic isn't even the same in different places where it is spoken.

Anyway back to the topic
So in your opinion, on what conditions and term are men allowed to marry more than one wife?

Ramadhan
09-28-2009, 04:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ieshia
No you don't sound harsh at all. Also i don't know Arabic at all and really exactly how much different it is so i can't argue with you on that, and obviously since you do know a certain type of Arabic, i will take your word for it and agree with you.
I just don't like it when today's Arabic speakers argue, about them some how understanding the Quran better than anyone else. The quran is translated to today's arabic just like it is with urdu, spanish, english etc. so obviously the traditional arabic the Quran was written in is not the same as today. Arabic isn't even the same in different places where it is spoken.
With your posts, i thought you were actually native arabic speaker and a scholar in the matter of Islamic jurisprudence to have such strong opinions.

Zone Maker
09-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Aslam 3likm

What is important is that the man has to treat and spends on his wives equally.
That's not an easy thing because unlike a cheater the man will be responsible for his wives and that is the main reason you don't see many polygamous marriages. Also here is a news article that I have translated using Google I am sure that the translation isn't accurate but what is important is the main idea that I am trying to explain:
Women's organizations, announces its rejection of a bill prohibiting polygamy

Al Mu'minaat
09-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Greetings,

Peace
Aslamlakaium wa rahamtulah wa barakatu..

the answer to your question is the fact that it is lawful for you to have many wives, and we have the example of prophet muhammed (p.b.u.h) who (p.b.u.h) had many wives..

However there is a condition, and the condition is that u treat them fairly..
Maybe the reason why some men choose to have one wife is the fact that they cannot take that responsibilty....

adriatic82
11-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Alllah says in the Quran that u can marry up to 4 but only if u can afford to support them and treat them right and if they agree too .I dont agree on how muslim from Arab countries treat women ,they dont let them drive and they treat them bad ,women should have rights and be treated with respect.Also i read stuff about Hz Muhammed sav wife being only 9 years old and him being neutral when his soldiers were raping non muslim female slaves.I dont think that is any quotiation in the Quran that says a man can marry a 9 year old so i dont beleive in that and will never do as 9 year old is just a child ,i read a comment from someone in here saying that he was the messenger of Allah and he could do what he want,no thats wrong cuz Allah is always right and if Mohamed sav was his messenger he wouldnt have done that but i also beleive that who knows what happened 1400 years ago and for non muslim that ask questions u just tell em read the Quran and find me somthing wrong . They wont cuz The Quran is the real thing

zakirs
11-02-2009, 06:19 PM
"The Kitab al Nikah permits marriage by reaching maturity sexually and mentally."

There is no age for marriage.Its only based on maturity.

Ramadhan
11-03-2009, 08:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by adriatic82
Alllah says in the Quran that u can marry up to 4 but only if u can afford to support them and treat them right and if they agree too .I dont agree on how muslim from Arab countries treat women ,they dont let them drive and they treat them bad ,women should have rights and be treated with respect.Also i read stuff about Hz Muhammed sav wife being only 9 years old and him being neutral when his soldiers were raping non muslim female slaves.I dont think that is any quotiation in the Quran that says a man can marry a 9 year old so i dont beleive in that and will never do as 9 year old is just a child ,i read a comment from someone in here saying that he was the messenger of Allah and he could do what he want,no thats wrong cuz Allah is always right and if Mohamed sav was his messenger he wouldnt have done that but i also beleive that who knows what happened 1400 years ago and for non muslim that ask questions u just tell em read the Quran and find me somthing wrong . They wont cuz The Quran is the real thing
I have a hard time understanding this whole paragraph.
This is for me is like a rambling without any purpose
can you please break down the paragraph for me (and maybe for many others) so they are easy to understand/digest?

Faye
11-07-2009, 08:42 PM
I once read somewhere that there were other wives of the Prophet SAWS, but he divorced them before consummation. They were not referred to as Umm ul Mumineen. I could never find a list of their names though. If anybody knows the names, or more about them, please add it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.