/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it alright to question Islam?

Alqali
08-28-2009, 12:25 PM
There are many people who get irritated when I ask something they would call "foolish" and "idiotic". But I just can't help asking---its part of my nature. Is it OK for me to ask like this? or is there a hidden meaning to why we shouldn't question islam?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alqali
08-28-2009, 12:28 PM
http://www.islamicboard.com/images/smilies/sl.gif

Alqali
08-28-2009, 12:29 PM

mahfuja
08-28-2009, 12:42 PM
well i think it depends on what your questioning bro ... if its like you wonder why we do a specific type of Ibadah or why this is forbidden and that is persmissble etc then ofcourse you can look into the reason but if you start questioning "why does bad things happens to me when I call Allah all the time" "why have we been placed on Earth to Worship Allah" etc SUbhan'Allah just remember the Words of Allah ""I know what ye know not." [2:30]

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- IqRa -
08-28-2009, 12:43 PM
There's something called 'Use your common sense' as well, in Islaam. E.g. Can we kill kids so they can go to Jannah...what?! :ermm:

Alqali
08-28-2009, 12:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mahfuja
well i think it depends on what your questioning bro ... if its like you wonder why we do a specific type of Ibadah or why this is forbidden and that is persmissble etc then ofcourse you can look into the reason but if you start questioning "why does bad things happens to me when I call Allah all the time" etc SUbhan'Allah just remember the Words of Allah ""I know what ye know not." [2:30]
First of all, thank you. Secondly, this question "why have we been placed on Earth to Worship Allah", why do you think were not suppose to know? But I guess all we can do now is just trust and have faith in Allah.

Alqali
08-28-2009, 12:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A
There's something called 'Use your common sense' as well, in Islaam. E.g. Can we kill kids so they can go to Jannah...what?! :ermm:
Forgive me for being different. I use my common sense and know its obviously wrong to commit such foolishness but this is different from common sense.

- IqRa -
08-28-2009, 12:56 PM
If you say so.

S_87
08-28-2009, 01:00 PM
depends on how you question. Yes if theres something youre unsure about and a ruling you dont know, by all means ask because islam is not a religion of secrets. islam is a religion of fitrah..

mahfuja
08-28-2009, 01:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alqali
First of all, thank you. Secondly, this question "why have we been placed on Earth to Worship Allah", why do you think were not suppose to know? But I guess all we can do now is just trust and have faith in Allah.
Bro if you look for a why behind everything then it will lead eventually to you questioning your faith. I have a friend who was similar like this and the word "why" was always in her head and eventually she reached the conclusion that "was God that bored that he placed us on Earth to worship him" astaghfirulla. bro if theres a specific thing that you're questioning maybe you can ask it here and someone can insha'Allah put things straight?

mahfuja
08-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Forgive me for being different. I use my common sense and know its obviously wrong to commit such foolishness but this is different from common sense.
and bro you aint gotta apologise ... alhamdulillah its good that you're seeking advice from your fellow bros and sis :)

rpwelton
08-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Well, humans naturally have an inquisitive mind, but as the other posters suggested, it's all up to what kind of questions you're after. Now, it seems as though you're getting into some deep theological stuff, wondering why we're been created, etc (correct me if I'm wrong).

We know enough from the Qur'an that Allah placed mankind and jinn on this earth so that they may worship Him. So that gives us a purpose, but we shouldn't question it and keep asking why, or pondering over what motivations Allah might have for doing this.

The point is, we're here, what are you going to do about it? If you believe Allah exists and you know you exist, then shouldn't you worship Allah?

Alqali
08-28-2009, 01:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton
Well, humans naturally have an inquisitive mind, but as the other posters suggested, it's all up to what kind of questions you're after. Now, it seems as though you're getting into some deep theological stuff, wondering why we're been created, etc (correct me if I'm wrong).

We know enough from the Qur'an that Allah placed mankind and jinn on this earth so that they may worship Him. So that gives us a purpose, but we shouldn't question it and keep asking why, or pondering over what motivations Allah might have for doing this.

The point is, we're here, what are you going to do about it? If you believe Allah exists and you know you exist, then shouldn't you worship Allah?
yes yes..your exactly right(الحمد لله). the perfect answer I have been looking for! Thank you. from now on, no matter what Allah, lays on us--a brim future or a bright one--- I will accept and just utter الحمد لله. Thank you :statisfie

alcurad
08-28-2009, 01:20 PM
faith is not built on questions alone. there are many questions we are capable of formulating, but our abilites in answering them are limited.

no question is worng, though every qeustion implies positive & negatove connotations.

'Abd-al Latif
08-28-2009, 01:24 PM
There are many people who get irritated when I ask something they would call "foolish" and "idiotic". But I just can't help asking---its part of my nature. Is it OK for me to ask like this? or is there a hidden meaning to why we shouldn't question islam?
Allah says in the Qur'an:

So ask the people of the Reminder (i.e. the Qur'an) if you do not know [Surah Anbiya 21:7]

Those people who say 'foolish' or 'idiotic' probably don't have the answers to your questions and are too afraid to admit it. A sincere person will say 'I don't know' or at least direct you to someone who does. So pay no attention to those people and ask questions to the people of knowedge.

gang4
08-28-2009, 08:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
Allah says in the Qur'an:

So ask the people of the Reminder (i.e. the Qur'an) if you do not know [Surah Anbiya 21:7]

Those people who say 'foolish' or 'idiotic' probably don't have the answers to your questions and are too afraid to admit it. A sincere person will say 'I don't know' or at least direct you to someone who does. So pay no attention to those people and ask questions to the people of knowedge.
Alqali, akhi....
I hope you do not mind if I also post some questions...

May Allah forgives me asking these questions.

Disclaimer:Allah is my witness, I have no ill intention..my niah is to have a better understanding since my knowledge of Islam is not that much...

What is the definition of tafseer?

Is true one should master about 12 science of Islam to be qualified to make a tafseer of Al-Qur'an?

Why words around Islamic communites says: You must be an alim to make a tafseer else you will be in the wrong path?

I mean.. my understanding of Al-Qur'an, many ayat commands us to take lessons and warnings... and these are from Makkiyah surah...implying the process taking lessons and warnings were done before Hijra. In this time, with absent of Madaniyah surah (which according to alim/expert Madaniyah ayat contains all of laws), the sahabat only knew part of Al-Qur'an (prior to Hijra, they could not possible know 12 science of Islam)...yet, it did not stop them to take lessons and warnings.

Even common folks like us who do not speak Arabic know a word in Al-Qur'an may have many layers of meanings. The understanding of a Badui man by default would be different than Hazrat Abu Bakar Siddiq.

I realize when every Muslim make their own tafseer, the danger lies we may have 1 billion different sects...

If the tafseer related to ahkam (laws)... yes, it must a qualified person since it affects other people in the community at large.

But, If only to take lessons and warnings...is not what we commanded to do?

My lessons and warnings most likely would differ than the next guy...should it not be encouraged since we can exchange our different lessons and warnings in the form of Nasehah from one to the other.... we may have 1 billion different lessons and warnings, but one community...called 'Muslim'

and Let say the lessons we 'tafseer' from Al-Qur'an was not right...hence, we are commanded to ask the people who have the knowledge.

What we have know, people make tafseer and insist they are right...unfortunately, they also insist other people are wrong! Hence, we have seen turbulences in our community.

Lessons and warning from Allah may come to ordinary people (non-prophet)...

If I get the stories right...
Adzhan we heard was inspired (ilham) to a common folk (non-prophet)
Dua Iftitah was inspired (ilham) to a common folk (non-prophet)
"rabbana lakal hamdu... " was inspired (ilham) to a common folk (non-prophet)

In the early time, Bible was always in the hand of the church, only the experts are allowed to make 'tafseer'. In comparison, Al-Qur'an was always in the hand of people.

Is Al-Qur'an now in the hand of 'experts'?

OpenSource usually produces better software compare to 'ExpertSource'

I hope I am not talking about Bid'ah in the sense doing/inventing new things which differ from our beloved Prophet...

I am talking common folks taking lessons and warnings from Al-Qur'an which may differ from the understanding of the guy next door but still doing the same things as our Prophet...

Allah knows Best

peaceandlove
08-29-2009, 11:39 AM
:sl: brother you can asked question if you want to clarify something and gain knowledge even a minute thing but these your intentions/purpose must be to gain knowledge, you should not ask questions just for making fun or to irritate someone.

GuestFellow
08-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Asslamu Aliakum.

Oh I question all the same. Every time I find answers, my faith gets stronger and stronger.

Caller الداعي
08-29-2009, 11:52 AM
salams asking is the only way a person can learn and make things more clear however many ppl ask questions which are totally out of bounds e.g how many children did musa alysalam have? ! i mean is this a question to be asked ?
questions should be beneficial to us and our lives and akhira!
ahh 1 more thing questions like y this y that should not be asked trying to find reasons for everything is not what a muslim does e.g. y do we pray five times and not six or four?! my point common sense is good in a muslim

Alqali
08-30-2009, 03:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by peaceandlove
:sl: brother you can asked question if you want to clarify something and gain knowledge even a minute thing but these your intentions/purpose must be to gain knowledge, you should not ask questions just for making fun or to irritate someone.
:sl:
But what about questions for gaining knowledge but also irritates people??

format_quote Originally Posted by caller
salams asking is the only way a person can learn and make things more clear however many ppl ask questions which are totally out of bounds e.g how many children did musa alysalam have? ! i mean is this a question to be asked ?
Well some people's(like mine) curiosities are "out of bounds" and I believe the proper way to answer these types of questions is to simply say "I don't know but is that really important?"---and then add more philosophical points. You have to understand that some people asks these questions seriously out of their natural curiosity and not out of trying to ridicule someone.

ahh 1 more thing questions like y this y that should not be asked trying to find reasons for everything is not what a muslim does e.g. y do we pray five times and not six or four?! my point common sense is good in a muslim
Yes "common sense" IS good but I also think in-depth analyzations are good. One of the attributes of the Qur'an that I admire is its philosophical depth---I find it very interesting and appealing. Thank Allah and thank you for reading.

Alqali
08-30-2009, 03:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by peaceandlove
But what about questions for gaining knowledge but also irritates people??

format_quote Originally Posted by caller
Well some people's(like mine) curiosities are "out of bounds" and I believe the proper way to answer these types of questions is to simply say "I don't know but is that really important?"---and then add more philosophical points. You have to understand that some people asks these questions seriously out of their natural curiosity and not out of trying to ridicule someone.

Yes "common sense" IS good but I also think in-depth analyzations are good. One of the attributes of the Qur'an that I admire is its philosophical depth---I find it very interesting and appealing. Thank Allah and thank you for reading.

Thinker
08-30-2009, 02:17 PM
If there is a God and we were made by Him, it seems to me that he made us to question things. If we had never wondered; never turned over the stone to see what was beneath, we would still be living in caves. If he made us that way he must have wanted us to question what might be otherwise he would have made us without that ability and urge. Again, does it not follow that if he meant us to question and we do not question, we are not fulfilling his wishes.

IsaImpliesHope
08-30-2009, 02:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
If there is a God and we were made by Him, it seems to me that he made us to question things. If we had never wondered; never turned over the stone to see what was beneath, we would still be living in caves. If he made us that way he must have wanted us to question what might be otherwise he would have made us without that ability and urge. Again, does it not follow that if he meant us to question and we do not question, we are not fulfilling his wishes.
Love this :thumbs_up God longs for us to seek Him and the Truth, and what better way than to ask "Why?"

Muhaba
08-30-2009, 02:41 PM
But are we questioning simply for the sake of asking and when we receive an answer, we ignore it, moving on to the next question, or are we asking because we sincerely want answers?

Here's a verse of the Quraan you should ponder:

...And if you could but see when the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.) are in the agonies of death, while the angels are stretching forth their hands (saying): "Deliver your souls! This day you shall be recompensed with the torment of degradation because of what you used to utter against Allah other than the truth. And you used to reject His Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) with disrespect! " (Surah 6, verse 93)

Thinker
08-30-2009, 03:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
But are we questioning simply for the sake of asking and when we receive an answer, we ignore it, moving on to the next question, or are we asking because we sincerely want answers?
And if I ask the question = what is the sum of 2 + 2 and I get the answer 5, do I just move on? And if I do not move but question the integrity of the answer does that mean I am do not sincerely want the answer?

[QUOTE=muhaba;1212740]
...And if you could but see when the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.) are in the agonies of death, while the angels are stretching forth their hands (saying): "Deliver your souls! This day you shall be recompensed with the torment of degradation because of what you used to utter against Allah other than the truth. And you used to reject His Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) with disrespect! " (Surah 6, verse 93)[/QUOTE]

I’ve read it and re-read it several times and honestly cannot see what it has to do with exploring things with questions!

Alqali
08-30-2009, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=Thinker;1212758]And if I ask the question = what is the sum of 2 + 2 and I get the answer 5, do I just move on? And if I do not move but question the integrity of the answer does that mean I am do not sincerely want the answer?

format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
...And if you could but see when the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.) are in the agonies of death, while the angels are stretching forth their hands (saying): "Deliver your souls! This day you shall be recompensed with the torment of degradation because of what you used to utter against Allah other than the truth. And you used to reject His Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) with disrespect! " (Surah 6, verse 93)[/QUOTE]

I’ve read it and re-read it several times and honestly cannot see what it has to do with exploring things with questions!
Sadly, It probably doesn't. What saddens me most is when people are too scared of saying "I don't know"---its simply natural

Rasema
08-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Brother, love in the name of Allah. No matter how rude Muslims are to you, be kind and they'll answer your question.

It also depens why are you asking a question.

You may want to be famous. There might be something you see as discussting of Islam etc...

Make sure you say why are you asking a question. Don't question about the unseen world too much.

Don't judge what you don't have knowledge about.

Many Muslims know an answer but they don't want to answer it because they are not 100% sure if It's a fact.

Rasema
08-30-2009, 10:14 PM
And if I ask the question = what is the sum of 2 + 2 and I get the answer 5, do I just move on? And if I do not move but question the integrity of the answer does that mean I am do not sincerely want the answer?

[I’ve read it and re-read it several times and honestly cannot see what it has to do with exploring things with questions!
Your contradicting yourself. We Muslims want him to find out and explore why Allah,spw, created us to worship Him,for example.And not us telling him. Some things you have to experience to know the meaning of it. You have to explore it yourself.

cat eyes
08-30-2009, 11:23 PM
brother it depends what you are asking the reason why some muslim sisters and brothers get afraid is because they love you and they don't want you to question anything about Allah swt orders because this is shaytaans work and when you give in to shaytaan you become ignorant and when you become ignorant, you don't want to listen to your brothers and sisters because shaytaan puts hate in your heart.

sometimes when somebody wants to help you. they have to be harsh so you will realise that you are not asking a very good question so please don't get offended with your brothers and sisters if they tell you to think before you say something or use your common sense! why should you not use your common sense?

thats why Allah gave us a brain brother to use it and to be careful how you come across to people.. yes people can question islam i have done before on some things but if a brother or sister puts you on the straight path and shows you prove from the hadiths or holy Qur'an about this matter so you should accept it and say thank you.

your imaan should be that good that you should say Alhamdulilah i got a good anser in the end and now my thinking is changed. people are not angry with you... they just want to help. just remember shaytaan is always stiring trouble between humankind through any type of way

MSalman
08-31-2009, 02:03 PM
love how you people claiming to relay on rationality attack using straw man. When did the sister say that you should move on if a person is giving you an agreed upon wrong answer? The problem is with the perception and understanding. Are you sure the person is giving you the wrong answer or only you think that it is a wrong answer? Or maybe the person is telling you that the answer is 4 but you are so blind that you do not buy it or understand as if he gave 5 as an answer.

format_quote Originally Posted by gang4
Why words around Islamic communites says: You must be an alim to make a tafseer else you will be in the wrong path?
because people like us do not have tools to understand the Qur'an and ahadith ourselves. and if we really claim to be following the Qur'an then we should be following the Qur'an because the Qur'an tell us to ask those who have knowledge.

If the tafseer related to ahkam (laws)... yes, it must a qualified person since it affects other people in the community at large.

But, If only to take lessons and warnings...is not what we commanded to do?
yes, it is true that ayaat pertaining to warnings (Jahanam, hereafter) & Jananh and the likes can easily be understood. However, some topics still involve details in regard to matters of creed. Therefore, we simply refer to those who have knowledge as we have been rightly commanded.

My lessons and warnings most likely would differ than the next guy...should it not be encouraged since we can exchange our different lessons and warnings in the form of Nasehah from one to the other.... we may have 1 billion different lessons and warnings, but one community...called 'Muslim'
the understanding regarding the basics (Jannah, Jahanam, hereafter, life, death, etc.) CANNOT be different from others, PERIOD. And if your understanding is opposing many Muslims around you and those who came before you, then there is something fishy about your understanding.

What we have know, people make tafseer and insist they are right...unfortunately, they also insist other people are wrong! Hence, we have seen turbulences in our community.
well, which people are you talking about? Are they local masjid imams? Are they bunch of laymen? Are the students of knowledge? Are the scholars? Which one?

If I get the stories right...
Adzhan we heard was inspired (ilham) to a common folk (non-prophet)
Dua Iftitah was inspired (ilham) to a common folk (non-prophet)
"rabbana lakal hamdu... " was inspired (ilham) to a common folk (non-prophet)
where did you get this from?

Is Al-Qur'an now in the hand of 'experts'?
if you mean the tafsir then it has been in the hands of experts from day one: First the Prophet (sal-allahu alayhi wa sallam), then the scholars among the sahabas (radiAllahu anhuma) and then the scholars in generations after them. Never in history the interpretation of the Qur'an by bunch of common folks was bought by other people. Whenever the unqualified people did the tafsir, they fell into kufr, heresy, innovation etc.

OpenSource usually produces better software compare to 'ExpertSource'
maybe in computer world but the Qur'an is not a computer software which needs updates, new features and changing/chopping. Neither the understanding regarding the Qur'an needs any changes as the time changes to adjust people's needs.

and Allah knows best

gang4
08-31-2009, 04:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamiclife
yes, it is true that ayaat pertaining to warnings (Jahanam, hereafter) & Jananh and the likes can easily be understood. However, some topics still involve details in regard to matters of creed. Therefore, we simply refer to those who have knowledge as we have been rightly commanded.
Sukron. That clears things up.

well, which people are you talking about? Are they local masjid imams? Are they bunch of laymen? Are the students of knowledge? Are the scholars? Which one?
Well, I've been listening videos of Sheik Hamza Yusuf... and to me, he is on the right path... but lately, there are videos discredit him which makes me sad. in the video, he insisted Shek Hamza Yusuf was wrong!...

to answer your questions... Yes, this one!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwB8WT-xo0Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9n7YWV8aI4

where did you get this from?
From leaves given from my local masjid..
From Islamic books I've read

Ibn-Shakoor
09-03-2009, 04:09 AM
Always reffer to a scholar,or better. The Quran. Those people do not seem to know the answer thus trying to lure your attention that they don't know to what an foolish question. At times you should stand up for yourself and shouldn't be ashamed to ask the questions you have in mind as the Prophet Muhammad(peace be upon him) asked Allaah many times to reduce the number of Prayers in the guidance of Musa(AS). That indicates the Prophet Muhammad(peace be upon him) asked what he had to.

:wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.