/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Pita Breads

Beardo
08-29-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm sure you all have tried pocket pita bread. I was wondering, if you slice it in half and make sandwiches, what do you put inside of it?

And secondly, what're some good side dishes with that?

I'm looking for something formal, that you can give guests, but also something quick.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rebel
08-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Falafel :hmm:

Cabdullahi
08-29-2009, 05:59 PM
foul mdamas!

ardianto
08-29-2009, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
I'm sure you all have tried pocket pita bread.
Not all. I never found pocket pita bread in Indonesia. :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
08-29-2009, 06:00 PM
you could do meat balls or make a quick chicken mixture with chicken breast cut into small pieces and cooked with some salt, red pepper, black pepper and whatever other spice you want in some butter, chopped onions and sweet pepper and finish off with stuffing it with a salad and mint sauce.
and finish off with some fries as side dish

Beardo
08-29-2009, 06:02 PM
^ Jazax.

People, just don't give me NAMES! Give me RECIPES and INGREDIENTS! Even I can make up random Bengali names and throw them at you.

aadil77
08-29-2009, 06:07 PM
lamb donner kebab and salad, aw bro you're making me hungrayy

this is a classic in england

Far7an
08-29-2009, 06:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
lamb donner kebab and salad, aw bro you're making me hungrayy

this is a classic in england
That looks too neat! Where is the ketchup and chilli sauce dripping down?

ژاله
08-29-2009, 06:11 PM
make a salad like this.
take loads of fruits, mangoes, apples, bananas, grapes, figs and guavas etc. chop them in small pieces. add some boiled noodles,chopped boiled chicken with black pepper (small pieces), and some lobia. add fresh cream or alternatively you can blend some dried apricots with some water and add them. and yes add some olives too. the resulting salad should be tasty. serve with a smile.

aadil77
08-29-2009, 06:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
That looks too neat! Where is the ketchup and chilli sauce dripping down?
yeh this is what it should look like *drools*

Rebel
08-29-2009, 06:44 PM
People, just don't give me NAMES! Give me RECIPES and INGREDIENTS!
GOOGLE is your FRIEND!

Here's a start.

I haven't had doner in bloody years <_<

Woodrow
08-29-2009, 07:17 PM
I am primarily a veggie/fish type person I like to stuff pita bread with tuna salad made as such:

One can Albacore White meat solid pack Tuna (The price per can looks expensive, but it is really low cost when you think you get as much if not more Tuna than you would get in 3 cans of the lower priced tuna)

Add to it Chopped onions, chopped olives ( I use a little of both black and green), chopped Water Chestnuts or celery or Jicama or fennel or a little of each, a splash of lemon juice, black pepper, some fresh dill (Do not use the dill if you added fennel ) and if my wife isn't looking I add Jalapeno or Serrano peppers. Mix it all up add enough Mayonnaise to stick it together.

Fill the pocket half full and finish filling with shredded lettuce and chopped mushrooms mixed together, top it off with a few dabs of sour cream or yogurt.

Beardo
08-30-2009, 01:32 AM
^ Finally. A RECIPE, not just pictures.

Jazakumullah. That actually sounds healthy AND delicious, a rare find indeed. I actually like sour cream with my food, and I think I'll try that. I'm trying to cut down on the meats, especially beef. I'm also trying to get my family into this as well. It's very important to stay healthy. Jazakumullah once again.

What kinda sauces can you put in a pita bread? I was considering putting some hummus inside, with some lettuce and topping it with some chicken. Or maybe guacamole instead of hummus. Hummus is easier to make though...

Woodrow
08-30-2009, 01:53 AM

Jazakumullah. That actually sounds healthy AND delicious, a rare find indeed. I actually like sour cream with my food, and I think I'll try that. I'm trying to cut down on the meats, especially beef. I'm also trying to get my family into this as well. It's very important to stay healthy. Jazakumullah once again.

What kinda sauces can you put in a pita bread? I was considering putting some hummus inside, with some lettuce and topping it with some chicken. Or maybe guacamole instead of hummus. Hummus is easier to make though...
Roasted Garlic Hummus or Roasted Red Pepper Hummus are good in it. Spread it out a little and add some sliced cucumbers, bean or alfalfa sprouts and some shredded lettuce, top off with either: Cottage Cheese, Yogurt or sour cream (I use sour cream on almost everything.

Woodrow
08-30-2009, 01:54 AM

Roasted Garlic Hummus or Roasted Red Pepper Hummus are good in it. Spread it out a little and add some sliced cucumbers, Avocado slices, bean or alfalfa sprouts and some shredded lettuce, top off with either: Cottage Cheese, Yogurt or sour cream (I use sour cream on almost everything.

Guacamole taste horrible with Hummus, but oddly avacodo slice are delicious.

Hidaya
08-30-2009, 03:00 AM
There's all sorts of stuff out there, except I like having hummus in mines. or za'taar.

:D

Not exactly sure how you make za'taar. I know it's really easy though ^__^

Salahudeen
08-30-2009, 03:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I am primarily a veggie/fish type person I like to stuff pita bread with tuna salad made as such:

One can Albacore White meat solid pack Tuna (The price per can looks expensive, but it is really low cost when you think you get as much if not more Tuna than you would get in 3 cans of the lower priced tuna)

Add to it Chopped onions, chopped olives ( I use a little of both black and green), chopped Water Chestnuts or celery or Jicama or fennel or a little of each, a splash of lemon juice, black pepper, some fresh dill (Do not use the dill if you added fennel ) and if my wife isn't looking I add Jalapeno or Serrano peppers. Mix it all up add enough Mayonnaise to stick it together.

Fill the pocket half full and finish filling with shredded lettuce and chopped mushrooms mixed together, top it off with a few dabs of sour cream or yogurt.

What a recipie, it sounds like a body building recipie to me ;D great if you workout.

Woodrow
08-30-2009, 03:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hidaya
There's all sorts of stuff out there, except I like having hummus in mines. or za'taar.

:D

Not exactly sure how you make za'taar. I know it's really easy though ^__^
I am not certain what you call za'taar I am familier with two things called za'taar one is similar to hummus except you use ground hyssop leaves instead of chick peas. The other is a crust for fried meats or fish. I found this in a quick search.

Za'tar Crust

The eastern Mediterranean za’tar is a combination of olive oil, lemon juice, sesame, garlic, dried mint and oregano. It is particularly good on chicken, especially if slipped under the skin as well as over it, and is delicious on lamb and more strongly flavoured fish such as salmon, trout or mackerel.
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Total time : 20 minutes plus at least 4 hours marinating

Makes: 100ml
Ingredients

2 tbsp Sesame seeds, toasted
1 tsp Cumin seeds
2 tbsp Dried mint
2 tbsp Dried oregano
½ tsp Smoked paprika
4 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1 Lemon, finely grated zest and juice
Method

1. The crust- Place the sesame seeds and spices in a pestle and mortar or spice grinder and lightly crush. Mix with the oil, lemon zest and juice and season to taste.
2. Rub the mixture all over the food, cover and marinate for 4 hours or overnight in the fridge for meats and poultry. Fish needs only 30 minutes. Allow the food to return to room temperature for 20 minutes before cooking.
3. To cook- If barbecuing, turn frequently and baste with any excess marinade. To roast a whole chicken, rub all over and roast at 200°C/gas 6 for 1–1½ hours.

I had a friend who used to mix cream cheese with thyme, oregano, mint and lemon juice he called that za'taar. But he was the only person I know who called it za'taar. He was from Jordan.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.