/* */

PDA

View Full Version : sins for not replying salam?

true believer
08-31-2009, 04:27 PM
salam my brothers and sisters :D
i was just wondering if its actually haram not to reply,
maybe im thinking too much but nowdays i've stopped saying salam
to women on the street. i just get dirty looks, or igored, or blank stares,
and its really put me off because these igorent women dont understand the true meaning of this. anyway replies would be nice, im kinda curious. :statisfie

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
08-31-2009, 04:51 PM
:sl:

I guess , now a days people don't like to talk to strangers ; they suspect that one has bad motive if s/he comes near to you and try to talk to you.

Normally I don't say Salaam to unknown people though sometimes I like to do that . But I feel shy about thinking of their possible neg reactions. Don't know if it's a sin not to give Salam and not to reply . According to a hadith , Muslims must spread this greetings .

Tony
08-31-2009, 10:12 PM
I get it alot, happened today, muslim guy in garage with big beard just blanked me, its not nice but its not my problem. Can be off putting but makes it even more important for ppl like me who are not "muslim looking" to say salaam

Al-Yasa
08-31-2009, 10:30 PM
only god knows my friend

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
08-31-2009, 10:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tony
I get it alot, happened today, muslim guy in garage with big beard just blanked me, its not nice but its not my problem. Can be off putting but makes it even more important for ppl like me who are not "muslim looking" to say salaam
That is disgusting, in situations like that you've got to make them embarassed and ashamed so they'll know not to do it again :raging:

repeat your salams in a much louder tone pretending they might not have heard the first time, if that don't work (the guy must have a heart of stone) have a go at him

Tony
08-31-2009, 10:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
That is disgusting, in situations like that you've got to make them embarassed and ashamed so they'll know not to do it again :raging:

repeat your salams in a much louder tone pretending they might not have heard the first time, if that don't work (the guy must have a heart of stone) have a go at him
lol, easy guy, what if he still blanks me....should I poke him in the eye and kick his shins hahaha. Yes tho I think nexttime I will repeat louder, good advice bro

aadil77
08-31-2009, 10:57 PM
lol 'have a go' as in give him an earfull make him red out of embarassment :embarrass:D

im only sayin this becos he might have been racist

Tony
08-31-2009, 11:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
lol 'have a go' as in give him an earfull make him red out of embarassment :embarrass:D
yes brother, I got you first time;D. Its just sad that some brothers give off a vibe like Islam is only for them etc. I dont think i would make much of an issue about it, I am gonna try redress the balance of acceptance in other ways insha'Allah. Dble shame that its Ramadhaan. Anyhow Allah sees whats in us and thats good enough for me bro.
To be honest he might have thought I was taking the ****, as tension here is palpable at best

cat eyes
08-31-2009, 11:12 PM
brothers say salaam and hey to me but i ignore because i think its haraam i don't know about this.. i just nod my head and lower my gaze.

what did prophet mohammad pbuh says about this anyway?

aadil77
08-31-2009, 11:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
brothers say salaam and hey to me but i ignore because i think its haraam i don't know about this.. i just nod my head and lower my gaze.

what did prophet mohammad pbuh says about this anyway?
replying to someone of opposite gender is a different situation, the sis said she was only greeting other muslim women

but this is the ruling on it http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/39258/salaam

al Amaanah
08-31-2009, 11:16 PM
:salamext:

^ fatwa is already posted.

:w:

Salahudeen
08-31-2009, 11:20 PM
I personally think you should just carry on doing what you're doing cos there's no way to tell if he's doing it for ulterior motives or just to genuinly spread the salaam. And nodding your head is a good acknowledgement, they won't be offended cos it's not like you ignored them.

oh some 1 just posted answer ^

true believer
08-31-2009, 11:21 PM
wow, i thought it was just girls igoreing girls but it happens to brothers too. thats so odd to me cos i thought brothers were more...closer for some reason. anyway thank you aadil77, much appericated bro. salam

Salahudeen
08-31-2009, 11:25 PM
nah lol it depends, you have to get used to it because no 1 ever does it so it feels really weird when a complete stranger gives salaam because it never ever happens. it's sad but it feels strange to walk past some 1 u never met and give them salaam :( sad times.

Somaiyah
09-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Salam,
Even when I sometimes have to ask a Muslim sister a question, I choose to ask a sister on the street when I need something instead of a non-Muslim because I like it more. I am not hijabi so they look weird at me first when I say salam and then ask my question. And well, nobody has ever answered my salam, they just look and answer. But I guess in this case it's because they don't understand why I say salam since I don't "look" like a Muslim lol.

Ibn-Shakoor
09-02-2009, 09:33 PM
:sl:
You do not need to say Saalam to anyone you think is a Muslim,only the people you know who are Muslims. Insha'Allaah the fatwa given by Brother Aadil will assist you in clarifying this doubt. Though it is obligatory(fardh) to reply an equal or greater Saalam when given to. The holy Prophet Muhammad(peace be upon him) said "He who speaks without firstly giving Saalam,then do not answer to what he has to say". Reported by Ibn Umar.
It is reported by Abu Umamah that the Holy Prophet(peace be upon him) said " whoever commences Saalam is very close to Allaah and his messanger".Narrated by Abu Huraihahthat Prophet Muhammad(peace be upon him" said "There are rights of a Muslim over a
Muslim: Responding to the Saalam,visiting the sick, following up a bier, accepting an invitation(for a meal),and blessing the one who sneezes."
If that person who you said Asalam alaykum to did not reply then you should kindly inform them that they should and recite this hadeeth.

:wa:

AntiKarateKid
09-06-2009, 05:23 AM
edit sorry

ieshia
09-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Alslamulakum means, you're pretty much blessing a person(well asking god to bless that person). The reply is the person asking for the same blessing upon you. If the person doesn't reply, then it doesn't make it a sin. Also try to remember, that people have bad days, some people don't feel comfortable talking to strangers(everyone has a different personality). So don't think ill towards a person who doesn't reply especially when you just asked god to bless that person. You should probably say your salam to the quiet people more because the might need more blessings, unless it annoys the person, then do your best to be nice.

I don't live around many Muslims at all but when i ever i travel and see Muslims, i always say salam to them and they get happy and reply back.

Tony
09-06-2009, 08:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ieshia
Alslamulakum means, you're pretty much blessing a person(well asking god to bless that person). The reply is the person asking for the same blessing upon you. If the person doesn't reply, then it doesn't make it a sin. Also try to remember, that people have bad days, some people don't feel comfortable talking to strangers(everyone has a different personality). So don't think ill towards a person who doesn't reply especially when you just asked god to bless that person. You should probably say your salam to the quiet people more because the might need more blessings, unless it annoys the person, then do your best to be nice.

I don't live around many Muslims at all but when i ever i travel and see Muslims, i always say salam to them and they get happy and reply back.

Jazak Allah Khair sister, a very good post and a very good point highlighted.
on a better note I spoke to a brother today in town, said salam and asked for a direction, very nice reply and friendly helpful man, May Allah bless him and his familly, Ameen

Ansariyah
09-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Ive come across people whom I salam'ed n they ended up replying wit 'hi' ...i usually ask nicely if they heard me?

But if the people don't look too friendly i'll pass...

Al Mu'minaat
09-29-2009, 02:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by true believer
and its really put me off because these igorent women dont understand the true meaning of this. anyway replies would be nice, im kinda curious. :statisfie
Aslamalkium sister..
i dont think it is harm to not say aslamalakium but it is unlawful.. you baiscally dont get rewards if you dont say it......

the rewards are numerous..::
Allah, the Exalted, says:

"O you who believe! Enter not houses other than your own, until you have asked permission and greeted those in them.'' (24:27)

"But when you enter the houses, greet one another with a greeting from Allah (i.e., say: As-Salamu `alaikum - peace be on you), blessed and good.'' (24:61)

"When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally.'' (4:86)

"Has the story reached you, of the honoured guests [three angels; Jibril (Gabriel) along with another two] of Ibrahim (Abraham)? When they came in to him, and said, `Salam (peace be upon you)!' He answered: `Salam (peace be upon you).''' (51:24,25)

845. Abdullah bin `Amr bin Al-`as (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: A man asked the Messenger of Allah (PBUH): "Which act in Islam is the best?'' He (PBUH) replied, "To give food, and to greet everyone, whether you know or you do not.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: Feeding poor and destitute is an act of goodness, and so is fulfilling the needs of the indigent. Greeting everybody (saying `As-Salamu `Alaikum'), whether an acquaintance or a stranger, is a good manner too. Both of these acts generate mutual love and remove hatred and ill will from hearts. All other forms of greetings do not no substitute for Islamic greeting.

846. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, "When Allah created Adam (PBUH), He said to him: `Go and greet that company of angels who are sitting there - and then listen to what they are going to say in reply to your greetings because that will be your greeting and your off-spring's.' Adam (PBUH) said to the angels: `As-Salamu `Alaikum (may you be safe from evil).' They replied: `As-Salamu `Alaikum wa Rahmatullah (may you be safe from evil, and Mercy of Allah be upon you).' Thus adding in reply to him: `wa Rahmatullah (and Mercy of Allah)' to his greeting.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: The Islamic form of greeting - As-Salamu `Alaikum (may you be safe from evil) - has been in existence since the days of Prophet Adam. According to some Ahadith, it is better to add in response: wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu (and the Mercy and Blessings of Allah).

847. Al-Bara' bin `Azib (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) commanded us to do seven things: to visit the sick, to follow the funeral (of a dead believer), to invoke the Mercy of Allah upon one who sneezes (i.e., by saying to him: Yarhamuk-Allah), to support the weak, to help the oppressed, to promote the greeting of `As-Salamu `Alaikum', and to help those who swear to do something to keep their oaths.
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: Muslims have obligations towards one another. The fulfillment of this social responsibility creates among them mutual love, a sense of cohesion and feelings of respect for one another.

848. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "By Him in Whose Hand is my life! You will not enter Jannah until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Shall I inform you of something which, if you do, you will love one another? Promote greetings amongst yourselves.''
[Muslim].

praline
06-09-2010, 04:13 AM
All Muslims should reply when another Muslim says salam. Isn't Shaytan making you not reply (or hesitate to reply) using the 'reason' that the opposite sex may misunderstand your intentions? When I say "As-salam alaykum" to a Muslim man or another Muslim woman and he/she doesn't reply (even though he/she DID hear me), I feel like I've been slapped in the face. Just simply reply if you hear!

hayyam
06-12-2010, 09:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by true believer
salam my brothers and sister for those who dont reply to salam are the ones losing out,if one understans the bueaty of a salam surely they would reply how beautiful is a salam when one some one says may the mercy of allah s.w.t:statisfie be upon you.

HijabiHelper
08-11-2019, 10:42 AM
Even if someone doesnt return your salaams the angels do it for them i believe?
Its true people now a days dont like to talk to strangers though. Times have changed i guess

Ahmed.
08-17-2019, 05:38 PM
It's not right to give or return salaam to non mahram except to new converts as they will be pushed away from Islam if you don't reply to them...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.