/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Angel Gabriel = Holy Spirit?

IsaImpliesHope
08-31-2009, 11:25 PM
I have been thinking a bit about the Muslim belief that the Spirit, who is frequently mentioned in the Qur'an, is the angel Gabriel. I have a number of questions about this:

1. Where, when and from whom did this identification originate? Where is the first Islamic source to make this identification?
  2. Why does the Qur'an itself does not seem to make this identification clear? (Or if it does, where does the Qur'an do so?)
  3. The following verses seem to suggest that the Spirit is not an angel - how are these verses properly exegeted?

S. 70:4
    "The angels and the spirit ascend unto him in a Day the measure whereof is (as) fifty thousand years:"
    S. 78:38
    "The Day that the Spirit and the angels will stand forth in ranks, none shall speak except any who is permitted by ((Allah)) Most Gracious, and He will say what is right."
    S. 97:4
    "Therein come down the angels and the Spirit by Allah's permission, on every errand:"

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
abu_musab461
08-31-2009, 11:33 PM
The reason why the Spirit (Jibril, Gabriel) is separately addressed in these verses is to honor him and to show us his rank and dignity above all other angels.

Another example of this is-

"Whoever is an enemy to Allâh, His Angels, His Messengers, Jibrael (Gabriel) and Mikael (Michael), then verily, Allâh is an enemy to the disbelievers." (2:98)

Again this verse distinguishes Michael also, who in islam is one of the high ranking angel.

Allah Knows Best

_ALI_
09-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Salam IsaImpliesHope
I have been thinking a bit about the Muslim belief that the Spirit, who is frequently mentioned in the Qur'an, is the angel Gabriel. I have a number of questions about this:
In Quran, the word "spirit" (Ruh) has been used many times and it does not just refer to angel Gabriel. For example before Adam was created, God told the angels.
015.029 فَإِذَا سَوَّيْتُهُ وَنَفَخْتُ فِيهِ مِنْ رُوحِي فَقَعُوا لَهُ سَاجِدِينَ
015.029 "When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My spirit, fall ye down in obeisance unto him."
Al-Qur'an, 015.029 (Al-Hijr [Al-Hijr, Stoneland, Rocky City])
Text Copied from DivineIslam's Qur'an Viewer software v2.910
Here the spirit does not mean Gabriel. But in some places, spirit does refer to him.
Why does the Qur'an itself does not seem to make this identification clear? (Or if it does, where does the Qur'an do so?)
In Islam we know that angel Gabriel was the one who brought revelations of Quran to prophet Muhammad. According to the following verse, Allah is telling prophet Muhammad to tell the pagans that

016.102 قُلْ نَزَّلَهُ رُوحُ الْقُدُسِ مِنْ رَبِّكَ بِالْحَقِّ لِيُثَبِّتَ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَهُدًى وَبُشْرَى لِلْمُسْلِمِينَ
016.102 Say, the Holy Spirit has brought the revelation from thy Lord in Truth, in order to strengthen those who believe, and as a Guide and Glad Tidings to Muslims.

Al-Qur'an, 016.102 (An-Nahl [The Bee])

Here, the angel who brings revelations from God is referred to as Holy Spirit. We know that that angel is Gabriel. Hence according to Quran, Holy Spirit=Angel Gabriel.
According to the explanation of Ibn Kathir (one of the oldest explanations of Quran) of this verse
Allah said, in response to them:

[قُلْ نَزَّلَهُ رُوحُ الْقُدُسِ]

(Say: "Ruh-ul-Qudus has brought it...'') meaning, Jibril,

[مِّن رَّبِّكَ بِالْحَقِّ]

(from your Lord with truth, ) meaning, with truthfulness and justice

[لِيُثَبِّتَ الَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ]

(for the conviction of those who believe,) so that they will believe what was revealed earlier and what was revealed later, and humble themselves towards Allah.

http://tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=16&tid=28221

The following verses seem to suggest that the Spirit is not an angel - how are these verses properly exegeted?

"The angels and the spirit ascend unto him in a Day the measure whereof is (as) fifty thousand years:"
A scholar of Quran Modudi explains this verse
"The Spirit": the Angel Gabriel (peace be on him), who has been mentioned separately from the angels in order to impress his unique glory and greatness. In Surah Ash-Shu'ara' it has been said: "The trustworthy Spirit has came down with this Qur'an upon your heart", (v. 193), and in Surah AI-Baqarah "Say to them: whoever is an enemy to Gabriel, should understand that he has, by .Allah's command. revealed upon your heart this Qur'an." (v. 97). These verses when read together show that Ar-Ruh (the Spirit) implies the Angel Gabriel.

http://www.islamicstudies.info/tafheem.php?sura=70
"The Day that the Spirit and the angels will stand forth in ranks, none shall speak except any who is permitted by ((Allah)) Most Gracious, and He will say what is right."
"Therein come down the angels and the Spirit by Allah's permission, on every errand:"
These verses have same explanations. Angel Gabriel has specifically been mentioned among the angels.
Peace

rpwelton
09-02-2009, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaImpliesHope

1. Where, when and from whom did this identification originate? Where is the first Islamic source to make this identification?
  2. Why does the Qur'an itself does not seem to make this identification clear? (Or if it does, where does the Qur'an do so?)
  3. The following verses seem to suggest that the Spirit is not an angel - how are these verses properly exegeted?

The Spirit has been created by Allah to perform certain functions in this world and the world beyond ours. The Spirit is also known as Angel Gabriel. I'll dig up some references from the Qur'an that proves this a little later when I have some more time.

It has a special function in our world; it breathes life into the fetus in a mother's womb, it can serve to strengthen/inspire mankind into doing good deeds (along with other angels), and of course it passed revelation from God to Muhammad.

Keep in mind that in the Qur'an God speaks many times in plurality, using a royal "We", which refers to both Him and His ranks of Angels and the Spirit. But never does He say "Worship Us", He only says "Worship Me". This is because Allah is One and everything else is a creation of Allah.

Even the Spirit will die on the Day of Judgment when the horn is blown and nothing but Allah is left, until He raises everyone up again for the Account.

With regards to the verses calling the Spirit as a separate entity from the angels, this is most likely due to the Spirit having a special status as being the highest of the angels.

For instance, if someone says: "Ray Allen and the Celtics put up a good fight against the Lakers tonight", this does not mean that Ray Allen is not a part of the Celtics team. Rather, singling out his name serves to distinguish him from the rest, perhaps because he played exceptionally well compared to others.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Joe98
09-03-2009, 04:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by _ALI_
Salam IsaImpliesHope
For example before Adam was created, God told the angels:
1. How many angels are there?

2. Why is it we only ever hear of the angel Gabriel?

-

Uthman
09-03-2009, 10:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
Check out this thread.

That's not true. The Qur'an makes reference to several angels by name.

Anyway, this is slightly off-topic.

_ALI_
09-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Salam Joe98
Only Allah knows the number of angels He has. We only know that the number must be really big. According to the following hadith
Sahih Buhari-- Volume 4, Book 54, Number 429:
Then I was shown Al-Bait-al-Ma'mur (i.e. Allah's House).

I asked Gabriel about it and he said, This is Al Bait-ul-Ma'mur where 70,000 angels perform prayers daily and when they leave they never return to it (but always a fresh batch comes into it daily).

Quran also speaks of other angels.

002.098 مَنْ كَانَ عَدُوًّا لِلَّهِ وَمَلائِكَتِهِ وَرُسُلِهِ وَجِبْرِيلَ وَمِيكَالَ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ عَدُوٌّ لِلْكَافِرِينَ
002.098 Whoever is an enemy to Allah and His angels and messengers, to Gabriel and Michael,- Lo! Allah is an enemy to those who reject Faith.

Al-Qur'an, 002.098 (Al-Baqara [The Cow])

002.102 وَاتَّبَعُوا مَا تَتْلُو الشَّيَاطِينُ عَلَى مُلْكِ سُلَيْمَانَ وَمَا كَفَرَ سُلَيْمَانُ وَلَكِنَّ الشَّيَاطِينَ كَفَرُوا يُعَلِّمُونَ النَّاسَ السِّحْرَ وَمَا أُنْزِلَ عَلَى الْمَلَكَيْنِ بِبَابِلَ هَارُوتَ وَمَارُوتَ وَمَا يُعَلِّمَانِ مِنْ أَحَدٍ حَتَّى يَقُولا إِنَّمَا نَحْنُ فِتْنَةٌ فَلا تَكْفُرْ فَيَتَعَلَّمُونَ مِنْهُمَا مَا يُفَرِّقُونَ بِهِ بَيْنَ الْمَرْءِ وَزَوْجِهِ وَمَا هُمْ بِضَارِّينَ بِهِ مِنْ أَحَدٍ إِلا بِإِذْنِ اللَّهِ وَيَتَعَلَّمُونَ مَا يَضُرُّهُمْ وَلا يَنْفَعُهُمْ وَلَقَدْ عَلِمُوا لَمَنِ اشْتَرَاهُ مَا لَهُ فِي الآخِرَةِ مِنْ خَلاقٍ وَلَبِئْسَ مَا شَرَوْا بِهِ أَنْفُسَهُمْ لَوْ كَانُوا يَعْلَمُونَ
002.102 They followed what the evil ones gave out (falsely) against the power of Solomon: the blasphemers Were, not Solomon, but the evil ones, teaching men Magic, and such things as came down at Babylon to the angels Harut and Marut. But neither of these taught anyone (Such things) without saying: "We are only for trial; so do not blaspheme." They learned from them the means to sow discord between man and wife. But they could not thus harm anyone except by Allah's permission. And they learned what harmed them, not what profited them. And they knew that the buyers of (magic) would have no share in the happiness of the Hereafter. And vile was the price for which they did sell their souls, if they but knew!
Al-Qur'an, 002.102 (Al-Baqara [The Cow])
There are also others mentioned in the hadith. But Quran specifically tells us that Gabriel is a great angel because he brought the Quran to prophet Muhammad.

Rabi Mansur
09-16-2009, 01:47 PM
In light of this discussion want to mention that I have heard that Muhammad is considered the Spirit of Truth mentioned in the book of John. But I'm wondering in light of the above if maybe Gabriel is actually the Spirit of Truth. Just wondering. Thanks!

_ALI_
09-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Salam rabimansur
In light of this discussion want to mention that I have heard that Muhammad is considered the Spirit of Truth mentioned in the book of John. But I'm wondering in light of the above if maybe Gabriel is actually the Spirit of Truth.
Are you referring to this verse?
John 15:26
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
Now the Bible also uses the word "spirit" for prophets (1 John 4:1). So here the spirit of truth can be a prophet. We know that the Comforter=spirit of truth, so if we prove that Comforter=prophet Muhammad then spirit of truth=prophet Muhammad. To do that here is a small background.
The Quran says:
"And remember, Jesus, the son of Mary, said, 'O Children of Israel! I am the messenger of Allah (sent) to you, confirming the Law (which came) before me and giving glad tidings of a messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmed.' But when he came to them with clear signs, they said, 'This is evident sorcery!' " Al-Qur'an Chapter 61 Verse 6
“Ahmed" or "Muhammad" meaning "the one who praises" or "the praised one" is almost the translation of the Greek word Periclytos. But if you read the bible, you will find the word Ahmed (Muhammad’s PBUH other name) nowhere, neither will you find the word Periclytos in the bible. However, you find a word “paracletos” translated comforter in :

1. John chapter 14 verse 16:
"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter (paracletos), that he may abide with you forever."(That is true since Muhammad PBUH is considered the seal of the prophets. There will be no other prophets after him. His teachings will abide with us forever)

2. Gospel of John chapter 15 verse 26:

"But when the Comforter (paracletos) is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me (Muhammad PBUH did testified Jesus Christ to be one of the mightiest messengers of God. No Muslim is a Muslim if he does not believe in Jesus)."
Gospel of John chapter 16 verse 7:
"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; it is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you".

Paracletos is the warped reading for Periclytos. "Ahmed" or "Muhammad" meaning "the one who praises" or "the praised one" is almost the translation of the Greek word Periclytos. In the Gospel of John 14:16, 15:26, and 16:7, the word 'Comforter' is used in the English translation for the Greek word Paracletos. Jesus (pbuh) actually prophesised Ahmed by name here.

Rabi Mansur
09-18-2009, 02:55 AM
Are you referring to this verse?
John 15:26
:sl:
Yes that is what I was thinking about. I used to study Greek years ago. Paraklytos was always defined as advocate, one called to defend, comforter, etc. I was not familiar with the Muslim interpretation of this verse but will do some research on that.
Thanks for your post.
:wa:

Rabi Mansur
09-18-2009, 03:16 AM
:sl:

I''m not finding anything that ties Paraklytos with "one who praises" or "praised one." :hmm: In my Greek-English Lexicon (Bauer) it always seems to give the sense of Advocate, Helper, Intercessor, Mediator, one appearing on another's behalf, etc.
I just can't find anything the links Paraklytos with one who praises. Maybe I misunderstood what you said above.

:wa:

_ALI_
09-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Salam rabimansur
We have two different words i.e paracletos and periclytos. The former which has been used in the Bible means advocate, helper, mediator etc. The latter means admired one or praised one. According to Muslims, the latter (periclytos) has been corrupted into the former (paracletos). I'll quote two scholars who are familiar with greek. One was a Christian who became a Muslim. Abdul-Ahad Dawud, the former Rev. David Abdu Benjamin Keldani, BD, a Roman Catholic priest of the Uniate-Chaldean sect (his biography http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Benjamin_Keldani). After accepting Islam, he wrote the book, ‘Muhammad in the Bible.’ He writes in this book:

Periqlytos etymologically and literally means "the most illustrious, renowned, and praiseworthy." I take for my authority Alexandre's Dictionnaire Grec-Francais=Periqlytos, "Qu'on peut entendre de tous les cotes; qu'il est facile a entendre. Tres celebre," etc. "= Periqleitos, tres celebre, illustre, glorieux; = Periqleys, tres celebre, illustre, glorieux," from = Kleos, glorire, renommee, celebrite." This compound noun is composed of the prefix "peri," and "kleotis," the latter derived from "to glorify, praise." The noun, which I write in English characters Periqleitos or Periqlytos, means precisely what AHMAD means in Arabic, namely the most illustrious, glorious, and renowned..”
Taken from
http://www.quranicstudies.com/articl...ans-ahmad.html
Second is M. Asad, who was a Jewish scholar and became a Muslim. He wrote a translation of Quran (biography : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Asad). In the explanation of verse 61:6 (which mentions Ahmed), M. Asad says
This prediction is supported by several references in the Gospel of St. John to the Parakletos (usually rendered as "Comforter") who was to come after Jesus. This designation is almost certainly a corruption of Periklytos ("the Much-Praised"), an exact Greek translation of the Aramaic term or name Mawhamana. (It is to be borne in mind that Aramaic was the language used in Palestine at the time .of, and for some centuries after, Jesus, and was thus undoubtedly the language in which the original - now lost - texts of the Gospels were composed.) In view of the phonetic closeness of Periklytos and Parakletos it is easy to understand how the translator - or, more probably, a later scribe - confused these two expressions. It is significant that both the Aramaic Mawhamana and the Greek Periklytos have the same meaning as the two names of the Last Prophet, Muhammad and Ahmad, both of which are derived from the verb hamida ("he praised") and the noun hamd ("praise"). An even more unequivocal prediction of the advent of the Prophet Muhammad - mentioned by name, in its Arabic form - is said to be forthcoming from the so-called Gospel of St. Barnabas, which, though now regarded as apocryphal, was accepted as authentic and was read in the churches until the year 496 of the Christian era, when it was banned as "heretical" by a decree of Pope Gelasius. However, since the original text of that Gospel is not available (having come down to us only in an Italian translation dating from the late sixteenth century), its authenticity cannot be established with certainty.
http://www.geocities.com/masad02/061.html

Al Mu'minaat
09-29-2009, 02:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaImpliesHope

Peace be upon yooh..

The angel Gabriel was created by Allah... Allah created the angels from light.. the jinns from fire... and rhe humans from clay.. we as muslims do not question how...

Al Mu'minaat
09-29-2009, 02:04 PM

-
Aslamalkium..

I dont think we as muslims have that knowledge.. how many angels are there.. ALlah knows the unseen.. keep that in mind..

If you read the quran.. you'll begin 2 find out that there are many angels mentioned.. for example:

the angel of death
the angel mikael...
and i think the angel israfil ( the angel that blows the horn.. )

Rabi Mansur
09-30-2009, 02:07 AM
[QUOTESalam rabimansur
We have two different words i.e paracletos and periclytos. The former which has been used in the Bible means advocate, helper, mediator etc. The latter means admired one or praised one. According to Muslims, the latter (periclytos) has been corrupted into the former (paracletos). I'll quote two scholars who are familiar with greek. One was a Christian who became a Muslim. Abdul-Ahad Dawud, the former Rev. David Abdu Benjamin Keldani, BD, a Roman Catholic priest of the Uniate-Chaldean sect (his biography http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Benjamin_Keldani). After accepting Islam, he wrote the book, ‘Muhammad in the Bible.’ He writes in ][/QUOTE]

Thank you for the reference. I will spend some time reviewing what you have posted. I appreciate the information.

Peace. :peace:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.