/* */

PDA

View Full Version : It is not permissible to differ from the people of the city with regard to fasting an

tresbien
09-01-2009, 01:33 PM
It is not permissible to differ from the people of the city with regard to fasting and Eid

In our city there is a group of committed brothers, but they differ from us with regard to some matters, such as fasting in Ramadaan. They do not fast until they see the moon with the naked eye. Sometimes we fast two or three days before them in Ramadaan, and they break their fast one or two days after Eid al-Fitr. Every time we ask them about fasting on the day of Eid they say, “We do not break our fast or start to fast until we see the new moon with the naked eye, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘Fast when you see it and break your fast when you see it.’” But they do not recognize the sighting of the moon with instruments as you know. They also differ with regard to the time of Eid prayer, and they do not pray until after Eid according to their sighting. Similarly on Eid al-Adha they differ from us with regard to offering the sacrifice of Eid and the standing at ‘Arafaah. They celebrate two days after Eid al-Adha, i.e., they do not offer the sacrifice until after all the Muslims have offered their sacrifices. Is what they are doing correct? May Allaah reward you with good.

Praise be to Allaah.

They should fast with the people and break their fast with the people, and they should offer the Eid prayer with the Muslims in their city because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Fast when you see it (the new moon) and break your fast when you see it, and if it is cloudy then complete the number (of days – i.e., assume the month is thirty days).” (Agreed upon). What is meant by this command to fast and to break the fast is if the sighting is proven by the naked eye or by means that help the eye to see, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Fasting is the day when you (i.e., the Muslim community) fast, iftaar is the day when you (all) break your fast and adha is the day when you (all) offer your sacrifice.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 2324; al-Tirmidhi, 697; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 561).

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon his family and companions.

taken from
Islam Q&A

PLSPRAY FOR ME ANDFOR ALL MUSLIMS.MAY ALLAH GRANT US HEALTH AND PARADISE.MAY ALLAH INCREASE OUR PROVISION AND AND OFTHAT OFHEREAFTER.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
09-01-2009, 01:41 PM
:sl:

According to the Hadith , we must fast after seeing the moon . It's not important what astronomers or others say. Else soon they will start saying they saw moon from Mars and Muslims must fast in the earth lol.

I did not understand the answer . If most people in the city start fasting without seeing the moon , others will join them though they did not see the moon ??

أبو سليمان عمر
09-01-2009, 03:13 PM
The fifth question of Fatwa no. 7753:

Q 5: what is the ruling on a person who does not fast according to the first sighting of the new moon

( Part No : 10, Page No: 94)

of Ramadan, but waits until he sees it for himself depending on the following Hadith, Start fasting on seeing it (the new moon of Ramadan), and give up fasting on seeing it (the new moon of Shawwal) ? Is this understanding correct?

A: It is obligatory to fast when the sighting of the new moon is confirmed, even if only one trustworthy Muslim sees it. The Prophet (peace be upon him) issued orders to fast when a Bedouin testified that he had seen the new moon. Interpreting the Hadith mentioned in the question to mean that no individual should fast until they see the new moon for themselves is incorrect, because the Hadith tells everyone to fast when the sighting is confirmed, even if only one trustworthy Muslim sees the new moon.

May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family and Companions!

IslamBasics
For more questions about The new moons, different places of sighting the new moon and astronomical calculations click the below links
Takeing from Permanent Committee Fatwas
فتاوى اللجنة الدائمة

convert
09-01-2009, 03:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tresbien
It is not permissible to differ from the people of the city with regard to fasting and Eid

In our city there is a group of committed brothers, but they differ from us with regard to some matters, such as fasting in Ramadaan. They do not fast until they see the moon with the naked eye. Sometimes we fast two or three days before them in Ramadaan, and they break their fast one or two days after Eid al-Fitr. Every time we ask them about fasting on the day of Eid they say, “We do not break our fast or start to fast until we see the new moon with the naked eye, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘Fast when you see it and break your fast when you see it.’” But they do not recognize the sighting of the moon with instruments as you know. They also differ with regard to the time of Eid prayer, and they do not pray until after Eid according to their sighting. Similarly on Eid al-Adha they differ from us with regard to offering the sacrifice of Eid and the standing at ‘Arafaah. They celebrate two days after Eid al-Adha, i.e., they do not offer the sacrifice until after all the Muslims have offered their sacrifices. Is what they are doing correct? May Allaah reward you with good.

Praise be to Allaah.

They should fast with the people and break their fast with the people, and they should offer the Eid prayer with the Muslims in their city because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Fast when you see it (the new moon) and break your fast when you see it, and if it is cloudy then complete the number (of days – i.e., assume the month is thirty days).” (Agreed upon). What is meant by this command to fast and to break the fast is if the sighting is proven by the naked eye or by means that help the eye to see, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Fasting is the day when you (i.e., the Muslim community) fast, iftaar is the day when you (all) break your fast and adha is the day when you (all) offer your sacrifice.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 2324; al-Tirmidhi, 697; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 561).

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon his family and companions.

taken from
Islam Q&A

PLSPRAY FOR ME ANDFOR ALL MUSLIMS.MAY ALLAH GRANT US HEALTH AND PARADISE.MAY ALLAH INCREASE OUR PROVISION AND AND OFTHAT OFHEREAFTER.
what if the people of the city were wrong?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tresbien
09-01-2009, 07:54 PM

what do u mean.pls paraphrase it or put it in a different way,thanks

convert
09-01-2009, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tresbien

what do u mean.pls paraphrase it or put it in a different way,thanks
say they are in an area of the world where most of the year there is no sunlight or no darkness (norway or the like) most of the year. because of this, they use the salaat timings of the closest city that has darkness and light.

however, ramadaan falls during the part of the year where there is darkness and light. do you break fast with them, knowing that the sun will set later or do you go by the actual time of sunset. i am of the second opinion here.

tresbien
09-01-2009, 10:48 PM
i heard a scholar who said. , one has to fast although the number of hours of the daylight are 20 .that is he or she should wait till the sun goes down.

Islam is perfect and comprehensive. Allaah says (interpretation of the meanings):

“… This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion…” [al-Maa’idah 5:3]

“Say [O Muhammad]: ‘What thing is the most great to witness?’ Say: ‘Allaah (the Most Great!) is Witness between me and you; this Qur’aan has been revealed to me that I may therewith warn you and whomsoever it may reach…” [al-An’aam 6:19]

“And We have not sent you [O Muhammad] except as a giver of glad tidings and a warner to all mankind….” [Saba’ 34:28]

Allaah has told the believers that fasting is obligatory (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Observing al-sawm (fasting) is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become the pious.” [al-Baqarah 2:183]

And Allaah has explained when the fasting should begin and end (interpretation of the meaning):

“… and eat and drink until the white thread (light of dawn appears to you distinct from the black thread (darkness of night), then complete your fast till the nightfall…” [al-Baqarah 2:187]

This ruling is not addressed to any particular country or type of people; it is a universal law, which also includes the people asked about in the question. Allaah is Merciful and Kind towards His slaves and has prescribed for them ways of ease to help them to do what He has made obligatory. For example, He allows travellers and the sick not to fast during Ramadaan, to save them from hardship, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“The month of Ramadaan in which was revealed the Qur’aan, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadaan, i.e., is present at his home), he must observe fasting that month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe sawm (fasts( must be made up] from other days…” [al-Baqarah 2:185]

So every responsible adult Muslim who is present when Ramadaan comes is obliged to fast, no matter whether the day is short or long. If a person is unable to complete a day’s fast, and fears that he may die or become ill, he is permitted to eat just enough to keep his strength up and keep himself safe from harm, then he should stop eating and drinking for the rest of the day, and he has to make up the days he has missed later on, when he is able to fast. And Allaah knows best.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 10/114

syilla
09-02-2009, 01:11 AM
can you see the moon when its raining?

peaceandlove
09-02-2009, 07:35 AM
I don't know what city you are talking about but i know its happens in many different countries , also in my country Pakistan some areas start ramzan one day ago etc.

Well , i am not a scholar to discuss here from something Quran or hadis but I definitely like the arguments of Head of Weather department of Pakistan.

What he say in an interview is meaning somthing like that

"The same people never argue/contradict with government ruling of moon sight on other months of the year , they break fast according to the timing laid by the government and not seeing sun , they pray salat according to the timing as describe by government , and they never argue nor they find any difference while obey the government ruling all the year then why? why? they are arguing in the month of ramzan only? hahaha ;D I can just laugh at their thoughts."

If you see their thoughts if they start ramzan one day before then next month or month after that they follow the same government ruling over the sight of moon , so their must me 31 days in some month hahaha;D , they don't even think of that;D laugh at their thoughts.

May Allah guide us all to the ture path and unite us all.

tresbien
09-02-2009, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
can you see the moon when its raining?
What counts with regard to confirming the beginning of the month of Ramadan is sighting of the new moon or the completion of 30 days of Sha’baan if the moon is not sighted. This is what is indicated by the saheeh Sunnah, and the scholars are unanimously agreed on it. Al-Bukhaari (1909) and Muslim (1081) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Fast when you see it and break the fast when you see it, and if it is cloudy then reckon the month as thirty.”

Astronomical calculations do not count. The basic principle with regard to sighting is that it should be done with the naked eye, but if the crescent moon is sighted with modern equipment, then this sighting may be acted upon, as stated in the answer to question number 106489. With regard to how the new moon is sighted with the naked eye when it is not seen with telescopes and equipment, this may be due to differences in the place and time of sighting.

Whatever the case, the ruling depends on sighting of the new moon. So long as it has been seen by one or two trustworthy Muslims, then it is obligatory to act upon this sighting.

Shaykh Saalih ibn Muhammad al-Lahaydaan, the head of the Higher Judiciary Council (may Allah preserve him) said: There is a brother called ‘Abd-Allaah al-Khudayri who is famous for sighting the moon and he is one of those who are known to be involved in sighting the moon at different stages, even at times other than the new moon. Some astronomers went to him and met with him in the region of Hawtah Sadeer. And he told me that they estimated that the moon would appear on that night in a certain place according to the calculations they did on their computers, but he told them that it would not appear from the place that they said, because he had seen it before them the night before, and he knew the stations of the moon and from where it would rise every night. Then when the moon appeared, it rose from the place he mentioned and not they place they mentioned. But he excused them because their conclusion was not based on direct moon sighting; rather it was based on calculations with the computers they had. End quote from an interview with him in al-Riyadh newspaper.

http://www.alriyadh.com/2007/10/12/article286271_shtml

And Allah knows best.

Islam Q&A

tresbien
09-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Praise be to Allaah.

The Muslims living in non-Islamic countries are permitted to form committees to take on the responsibility of confirming the new moon for Ramadaan, Shawwaal and Dhoo’l-Hijjah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.