/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fasting as a nonmuslim

Rabi Mansur
09-02-2009, 04:09 AM
:sl:
Since I am trying to learn about Islam and study the Qur'an I was wondering if it would do any harm for me to try and fast like the rest of you are doing this month. Would Allah accept my efforts or would it be unacceptable for a nonmuslim to try and follow this practice?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
al Amaanah
09-03-2009, 12:13 AM
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/1037

wAllaho a3lam.

Rabi Mansur
09-03-2009, 04:26 AM
شكرا

I appreciate your forwarding that link.

Peace.

ummsara1108
09-03-2009, 04:41 AM
Absolutely not, it is encouraged, best of luck and welcome.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
09-03-2009, 05:22 AM
:wa:

format_quote Originally Posted by rabimansur
...Would Allah accept my efforts or would it be unacceptable for a nonmuslim to try and follow this practice?
well , if u die as a non-Muslim , then there is no reward in hereafter for any good deeds. U will get rewards in this life only. But there is no harm if u try to do fasting . Some non-Muslims do fast in Ramadan with Muslims :statisfie

And God knows Best.

Ramadan-fasting Pastor

Satellite?blobcolurldata&ampblobheaderimage2Fjpeg&ampblobkeyid&ampblobtableMungoBlobs&ampblobwhere1251637428456&ampssbinarytrue -

Reis (L) says fasting can help him become a better Christian as well as a better pastor, husband and father. (Bellingham Herald photo)

CAIRO — Everyday before sunrise, American pastor Ben Ries wakes up to eat before starting his fasting during the holy month of Ramadan.

"It raises your awareness about hunger in the world," Ries told The Bellingham Herald on Monday, August 31.

Ries, 30, the pastor of the Sterling Drive Church of Christ in Bellingham, has decided to join Muslims in fasting Ramadan to get a better knowledge of the Islamic faith.

He says fasting can help him become a better Christian as well as a better pastor, husband, father, and member of a diverse world often fractured along religious lines.

"Part of my reflection is, 'Who am I in this world?'" said Ries, who became pastor of his small Bellingham church two years ago.

"I'm not so narcissistic to think I have everything figured out."

As he knows little about Islam, Ries sought to find someone to help him observe the holy Muslim month.

Googling the internet, he found Monem Salam, the president of Saturna Brokerage Services, a subsidiary of Saturna Capital Corp., in Bellingham.

The American pastor immediately e-mailed the Muslim leader, asking him to be his mentor during the dawn-to-dusk fasting month.

"It seemed like it could be a good partnership," Salam said.

"We could both learn from each other."

Ramadan is the holiest month in the Muslim calendar.

In Ramadan, adult Muslims, save the sick and those traveling, abstain from food, drink, smoking and sex between dawn and sunset.

Muslims dedicate their time during the holy fasting month to become closer to Allah through prayer, self-restraint and good deeds.

Ground-breaking

On family dinners, Salam and Ries started to meet before Ramadan to teach the pastor about the fasting month.

Ries has also started reading the Noble Qur’an and is keeping a journal about his reflections and experiences during Ramadan.

"I'm not a big breakfast person, so it's been difficult for me," he said.

The US pastor hopes that his experience of fasting the Muslim holy month would be a healing step towards a better world.

"As a Christian, I believe this world is broken," he said. "It's not as it's supposed to be."

Salam, who has made a documentary about his experience and his family as a Muslim family living in American society, agreed.

"He's breaking some ground here," Salam said.

He said sharing Ries’s experience with other church members and non-Muslims would have a better impact on understanding the Islamic faith.

"Hopefully, in the future, we'll have more individuals doing it.”

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...m_campaign=rss

Muslim Woman
09-05-2009, 04:20 AM
Salaam/Peace

Fast to Understand Muslims: London Mayor

London Mayor Boris Johnson has urged non-Muslims to fast a day during the holy month of Ramadan to help get a better understanding of their Muslim neighbors, the Daily Mail reported Friday, September 4.

"I urge people, particularly during Ramadan, to find out more about Islam," Johnson said during a visit to East London Mosque and London Muslim Centre.

"Increase your understanding and learning, even fast for a day with your Muslim neighbor and break your fast at the local mosque."
In Ramadan, adult Muslims, save the sick and those traveling, abstain from food, drink, smoking and sex between dawn and sunset.
Most dedicate their time during the holy month to become closer to Allah through self-restraint, good deeds and prayer.
It is customary for Muslims to spend part of the days during Ramadan studying the Noble Qur'an.
Many men perform i`tikaf (spiritual retreat), spending the last 10 days of the month exclusively in the mosque.
Johnson said that having a better understanding of Muslims would help disassociate from negative ideas and end differences inside the society.
"I would be very surprised if you didn't find that you share more in common than you thought," he said.
The London Mayor praised the role of Muslims in challenging "traditional stereotypes."
"Whether it's in theatre, comedy, sports, music or politics, Muslims are challenging the traditional stereotypes," he said.
"[They are] showing that they are, and want to be, a part of the mainstream community."
A recent government-commissioned study has also found that a torrent of negative and imbalance stories in the British media demonize Muslims and their faith by portraying them as the enemy within.
British Muslims, estimated at nearly two million, have also taken full brunt of anti-terror laws since the 7/7 attacks.
They have repeatedly complained of maltreatment by police for no apparent reason other than being Muslim.
Muslim Integration
The London Mayor gave tribute to the role played by British Muslims in building their society.
"Muslims are at the heart of every aspect of society," said Johnson.
"Their contribution is something that all Londoners benefit from."
Varying from officers, doctors and scientists, Johnson hailed Londoner Muslims for promoting the society.
"Muslim police officers, doctors, scientists and teachers are an essential part of the fabric of London,” he said.

"Islamic finance is contributing to the economy by changing the way Londoners invest, save, borrow and spend.”
Johnson, who succeeded Ken Livingstone, one of Britain’s most colorful and popular politicians, who has been known for his strong defense of the British Muslims, also praised the Muslims’ social role.

"There are valuable lessons that people of all backgrounds can learn from Islam," he said.

He said that all good Muslim practices are perfectly reflected in the Ramadan's teachings.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...News/NWELayout

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.